• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

1st round Draft bust analysis

So we've been debating the need for a Franchise QB, is the selection worth the risk considering the high number of busts. So I wondered if anyone had compiled a comparative bust list by position, and sure enough someone did. It's 3 years old but it uses 15 years worth of data so I'm sure it extrapolates out.

Most of us probably could have guessed the number 1 and 2 positions on the list QB and WR respectively, but I would have thought that the actual percentages would have been higher.

The article states that the QB position for example is a 53% bust rate, which is for all intents and purposes a coin toss. That to me is not bad odds for the most important position on the field, considering the potential reward if the coin comes up heads. Look over the list and notice how many of the non bust QB's went to or got very close to the Super Bowl, very interesting.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: 1st round Draft bust analysis

Originally posted by madmaxwell
    So we've been debating the need for a Franchise QB, is the selection worth the risk considering the high number of busts. So I wondered if anyone had compiled a comparative bust list by position, and sure enough someone did. It's 3 years old but it uses 15 years worth of data so I'm sure it extrapolates out.

Most of us probably could have guessed the number 1 and 2 positions on the list QB and WR respectively, but I would have thought that the actual percentages would have been higher.

The article states that the QB position for example is a 53% bust rate, which is for all intents and purposes a coin toss. That to me is not bad odds for the most important position on the field, considering the potential reward if the coin comes up heads. Look over the list and notice how many of the non bust QB's went to or got very close to the Super Bowl, very interesting.
    Timely.

IMO, it changes little to nothing. Teams draft QB's every year, and IMO, this year we will be.

Here's the core data:

First-Round Bust Percentages
    QB -- 53 percent
    RB -- 49 percent
    WR -- 45 percent
    DT -- 33 percent
    OL -- 31 percent
    DE -- 31 percent
    CB -- 29 percent
    LB -- 16 percent
    S -- 11 percent

CB's and S's are down there so I guess we should be drafting more of them since we haven't drafted enough corners or taken any safeties lately.

OL is a bit unfair because it lumps G, C, and OT together yet the bust rate for T's is much higher than C's and G's which are usually not taken in the 1st round. That also hold true for S's.

Players Picked in First Round
    OL -- 70
    DE - 55
    CB - 52
    WR -- 51
    LB -- 48
    DT - 42
    RB -- 41
    QB -- 30
    S -- 19

Again, it doesn't matter because teams in need of a QB do it every year despite these numbers.

And again, and most importantly, I didn't make the rules for rebuilding our franchise, Nix did. He has shown and stated he wont be signing the big free agents or trading for big name players, that he will build through the draft.

We need a franchise QB, so that means we must draft one.

BTW, the percentage gets worse in every round after the 1st for all positions as well. So, your most likely to get a good player at any position in the 1st round.
    Last edited by X-Era; 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Mad Max
      Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by X-Era

CB's and S's are down there so I guess we should be drafting more of them since we haven't drafted enough corners or taken any safeties lately.
      Ya our braintrust (term used very loosely), probably had statistics that mirrored these, hence our abundance of DB picks this decade.

Originally posted by x-era
      We need a franchise QB, so that means we must draft one.
      We can only hope. I think we will. A fresh franchise QB always fills seats, which Ralphie will love...and this time it won't be cost prohibitive either (after the new CBA)...so maybe our luck is finally changing a bit.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
        • Nov 2009

Ralphie doesn't need a franchise QB to fill seats...he doesn't even need a serviceable pro.

IF there is a new CBA, and it is in effect, that doesn't only benefit us. Rookie salaries a out of control.

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
          • Sep 2010

Never draft a Black QB
          Originally posted by OpIv37
          You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• Mad Max
            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
            Ralphie doesn't need a franchise QB to fill seats...he doesn't even need a serviceable pro.
            We'll see. A 20% decline in season ticket sales is a pretty loud and clear statement by the fanbase IMO.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
              • May 2003

But if you hit on one you have the most valuable asset for years.

Comment

• jamesiscool
                suck it fool.
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Buffalo Thriller
                Never draft a Black QB
                thats a little aggressive. i dont think ski color matters when it comes to qb play. go back to alabama and kiss yur cousin mother.
                Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• Mad Max
                  Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jamesiscool
                  thats a little aggressive. i dont think ski color matters when it comes to qb play. go back to alabama and kiss yur cousin mother.
                  lol, ignorant is another word. A little simple math shows that the black QB's actually have a significantly lower failure rate than the white guys (small sample size notwithstanding).

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by madmaxwell
                    lol, ignorant is another word. A little simple math shows that the black QB's actually have a significantly lower failure rate than the white guys (small sample size notwithstanding).
                    I would take Josh Freeman in a heatbeat.

Comment

• jamesiscool
                      suck it fool.
                      • Feb 2007

mcnabb vince young vick freeman and hell jason campbell are all better than any qb on our roster imo. the success rate for white qb's may be better than "black" qb's but honestly how many qb's play in a pro style nfl offense offense where their skillset is geared towards the nfl's style of play?

now how many of them aren't white? its a fraction of a fraction. hence why the success rate for white qb's is much better. its simple arithmetic.
                      Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

We should have been picking LBs two of the last three 1st picks we've used on RBs. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...backers/070425

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Oaf
                          We should have been picking LBs two of the last three 1st picks we've used on RBs. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...backers/070425
                          I could seriously watch that dude fall down the stairs over and over.

Comment

• Mad Max
                            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jamesiscool
                            mcnabb vince young vick freeman and hell jason campbell are all better than any qb on our roster imo. the success rate for white qb's may be better than "black" qb's but honestly how many qb's play in a pro style nfl offense offense where their skillset is geared towards the nfl's style of play?

now how many of them aren't white? its a fraction of a fraction. hence why the success rate for white qb's is much better. its simple arithmetic.
                            What?

...the black QB's (on that list) actually have a significantly lower failure rate than the white guys...=the black guys succeeded more often the white guys on that list...

...is what I said.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

BTW, did you go through the list on the OL? There are a lot of players that he claims arent busts that are far from studs.

Comment

Working...
                              X