PDA

View Full Version : Those who want Locker: something to think about

Extremebillsfan247
09-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Since 2000, only 5 QBs were drafted in the first round with losing college career records. Those are Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, Jay Cutler, J.P. Losman, and Josh Freeman. Not a good group to be in if your Jake Locker looking to make an impression come draft day next year. The Bills using the number 1 pick overall on him would be unlikely. In fact they may not even need to be that high in the draft selection to get him because of the failings of his predecessors mentioned here. Scouts will undoubtedly have that noted. JMO

Commissioner
09-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Locker is not looking very impressive....

Keep your eye on Ryan Mallett... he's going to be a Heisman candidate. He's got like 700 yards passing and 7 TD's in 2 games so far. 6'6" with a rocket arm.

SeatownBillsFan21
09-16-2010, 07:02 PM

Keep your eye on Ryan Mallett... he's going to be a Heisman candidate. He's got like 700 yards passing and 7 TD's in 2 games so far. 6'6" with a rocket arm.
Really what Locker are you talking about

Mad Max
09-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Really what Locker are you talking about

Exactly. Unfortunately all I've seen are the box scores but his numbers look good. He apparently torched Syracuse.

Extremebillsfan247
09-16-2010, 07:10 PM

Ill be quite honest here, I don't follow college sports much if at all. But this seems to be a good year for doing so. A lot of good prospects coming out of this crop of college players this year is what I'm hearing. I watched Locker against Syracuse, and found myself more impressed with his receiver Jermaine Kearse than I was with him. I know it's difficult to judge from one game performance, but it will show you things highlights wont show you. JMO I will check out Mallet this weekend.

Mad Max
09-16-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm sure there are some (obviously) that have aligned themselves with one QB or the other, but most of us I think are just hoping we get the best available option...regardless of who he is. Locker, Luck, Devlin, Mallett, whomever.

We'll have a clearer picture at seasons end.

Commissioner
09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Ill be quite honest here, I don't follow college sports much if at all. But this seems to be a good year for doing so. A lot of good prospects coming out of this crop of college players this year is what I'm hearing. I watched Locker against Syracuse, and found myself more impressed with his receiver Jermaine Kearse than I was with him. I know it's difficult to judge from one game performance, but it will show you things highlights wont show you. JMO I will check out Mallet this weekend.
Locker still looks like a very raw passer to me. I thought he would be a lot sharper in his second year in the pro style offense. He had 4 drives to try and lead his team back vs BYU week 1 and couldn't do it. For a future #1 overall pick his numbers have been pedestrian vs weak opponents. He's got a major test vs Nebraska this weekend.

Ryan Mallett also has a bigger test this weekend vs. Georgia. I believe he is playing on ESPN.

For those that may not know... you can watch just about any college game live on ESPN3.com . That's how I've been following the Qb's.

Extremebillsfan247
09-16-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm sure there are some (obviously) that have aligned themselves with one QB or the other, but most of us I think are just hoping we get the best available option...regardless of who he is. Locker, Luck, Devlin, Mallett, whomever.

We'll have a clearer picture at seasons end.Yeah, I can see that. Of those you listed, I've heard of Luck, Locker, and Mallet. Don't know if I've heard of Devlin, what's he like? how does he stack up with these other guys?

X-Era
09-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I can see that. Of those you listed, I've heard of Luck, Locker, and Mallet. Don't know if I've heard of Devlin, what's he like? how does he stack up with these other guys?

Ive got a profile for him in the Draft Guide in the Scouting Zone:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=187226

trapezeus
09-16-2010, 07:22 PM
draft me a winner. i firmly believe a guy who wins equals a guy who studies, and a guy who has confidence.

i want some bowl game wins, i don't want him to have padded stats by beating easy teams but struggles in the big game.

i want to know with 99 yards to go and 1:45 in the game, that he has the balls and voice to say, "we are going for the win" and that you actually believe it.

X-Era
09-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Locker still looks like a very raw passer to me. I thought he would be a lot sharper in his second year in the pro style offense. He had 4 drives to try and lead his team back vs BYU week 1 and couldn't do it. For a future #1 overall pick his numbers have been pedestrian vs weak opponents. He's got a major test vs Nebraska this weekend.

Ryan Mallett also has a bigger test this weekend vs. Georgia. I believe he is playing on ESPN.

For those that may not know... you can watch just about any college game live on ESPN3.com . That's how I've been following the Qb's.

IMO, Mallett looks more polished from last year than Locker so far. We need to see all of them against stiff competition. Locker is more talented athletically. But if it doesn't translate to a polished QB in all the mental aspects it may never make a good NFL QB.

Nighthawk
09-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Since 2000, only 5 QBs were drafted in the first round with losing college career records. Those are Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, Jay Cutler, J.P. Losman, and Josh Freeman. Not a good group to be in if your Jake Locker looking to make an impression come draft day next year. The Bills using the number 1 pick overall on him would be unlikely. In fact they may not even need to be that high in the draft selection to get him because of the failings of his predecessors mentioned here. Scouts will undoubtedly have that noted. JMO

For those that don't want a potential franchise QB...remember this...TRENT SUCKS AND ALWAYS WILL!

Mad Max
09-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I can see that. Of those you listed, I've heard of Luck, Locker, and Mallet. Don't know if I've heard of Devlin, what's he like? how does he stack up with these other guys?

To be honest with you, I have no idea I've never seen him play...he's just one of the top guys on radar of the Draft "Gurus".

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011QB.php

X-Era
09-16-2010, 07:26 PM
draft me a winner. i firmly believe a guy who wins equals a guy who studies, and a guy who has confidence.

i want some bowl game wins, i don't want him to have padded stats by beating easy teams but struggles in the big game.

i want to know with 99 yards to go and 1:45 in the game, that he has the balls and voice to say, "we are going for the win" and that you actually believe it.

This is the type of quality I see in my darkhorse Gabbert. Luck is the closest to a sure fire prospect I have seen so far. Mallett has been this type of QB a few times but its been inconsistent... show me this year that you can handle the big teams. That said, they all have to show that.

Commissioner
09-16-2010, 07:32 PM
IMO, Mallett looks more polished from last year than Locker so far. We need to see all of them against stiff competition. Locker is more talented athletically. But if it doesn't translate to a polished QB in all the mental aspects it may never make a good NFL QB.
Ive always thought Mallett had accuracy issues but he's surprised me this year. His first game i think he had the 2nd highest completion percentage ever in NCAA history.

He's been taking what the defense gives him and then taking his shots when he can. He's definitely improved since last year.

Plus his personality or competitiveness kind of reminds me of Philip Rivers.

X-Era
09-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Ive always thought Mallett had accuracy issues but he's surprised me this year. His first game i think he had the 2nd highest completion percentage ever in NCAA history.

He's been taking what the defense gives him and then taking his shots when he can.
He's been better this year.

If he can just show, against a good defense, that he can stand in teh pocket and patiently pick apart the D... if he can show solid poise and decision making, consistently, against good teams... he can be in consideration in early round 1.

Extremebillsfan247
09-16-2010, 07:33 PM
For those that don't want a potential franchise QB...remember this...TRENT SUCKS AND ALWAYS WILL! Potential Franchise QB? yes, Potential QB with promise who falls apart at the next level because he can't win the big games? No. If we are going to put stock into a franchise QB with our top pick, the guy has to be money. I agree with you, Trent sucks, we need a franchise QB. But we need to make sure we have the right guy, and not pick a college QB as a franchise simply because he looks better than Trent. In the NFL, that won't be good enough. JMO

Nighthawk
09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Potential Franchise QB? yes, Potential QB with promise who falls apart at the next level because he can't win the big games? No. If we are going to put stock into a franchise QB with our top pick, the guy has to be money. I agree with you, Trent sucks, we need a franchise QB. But we need to make sure we have the right guy, and not pick a college QB as a franchise simply because he looks better than Trent. In the NFL, that won't be good enough. JMO

True enough.

Commissioner
09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
For those that don't want a potential franchise QB...remember this...TRENT SUCKS AND ALWAYS WILL!

Why does everything have to be a pissing match about Trent?

Nighthawk
09-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Why does everything have to be a pissing match about Trent?

Because he is garbage...

Commissioner
09-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Because he is garbage...

One track mind.... got nothing else to offer.

Nighthawk
09-16-2010, 07:46 PM
One track mind.... got nothing else to offer.

I've got plenty to offer...but this is pretty much an open and shut case. There is no need to go into further detail.

BillsWin
09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Devlin is my guy and I think you can get him round two. LT round one, Devlin round two and Im a happy camper.

SeatownBillsFan21
09-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Locker is mine all you have to do is watch the kid play...Hes got a big time arm can make any throw.Luck would be fine as well not high on Mallet but haven't seen him play since Mich. anyway there is a lot of football to be played so i will wait and see how this all plays out.Go Bills

Night Train
09-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Lockler reminds me of cement shoes Bledsoe, so the attraction is zero.

College stats mean nothing. It's scouting a players skill sets to see if it will translate to the NFL.

If College stats were king, AVP would be enshrined in Canton right now.

I don't see any Franchise Junior/Senior QB's in college right now. Good ones, but not any Top 10 picks. Yet they are ALWAYS overpicked, based on a dying need. Then the franchise suffers more often than not.

X-Era
09-17-2010, 05:43 AM

College stats mean nothing. It's scouting a players skill sets to see if it will translate to the NFL.

I don't see any Franchise Junior/Senior QB's in college right now. Good ones, but not any Top 10 picks. Yet they are ALWAYS overpicked, based on a dying need. Then the franchise suffers more often than not.

Well, we need one, and apparently the only way we will get great players is if we draft them.

IMO, there will be a QB worthy of the top spot by years end.

Night Train
09-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Well, we need one, and apparently the only way we will get great players is if we draft them.

IMO, there will be a QB worthy of the top spot by years end.

Agreed. But he must be mobile and sense the rush, in addition to the standard QB skill sets.

billsfanryan
09-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Locker is mine all you have to do is watch the kid play...Hes got a big time arm can make any throw.Luck would be fine as well not high on Mallet but haven't seen him play since Mich. anyway there is a lot of football to be played so i will wait and see how this all plays out.Go Bills

J.P. Losman?

I do not want a QB with all the talent in the world but a losing record in college. I was pretty big on Locker last year and all offseason but after seeing him not be able to do it against BYU and watching the first Quarter of the SU game I am not a fan anymore.

If I had a choice right now it would most likely be Mallet.

Mad Max
09-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Agreed. But he must be mobile and sense the rush, in addition to the standard QB skill sets.

You highlight the word mobile, and in a prior post you compare Locker to Bledsoe and his "cement shoes"

Have you watched Locker? He is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) QB's in the NCAA and he's extremely mobile, making almost as many plays with his feet as with his arm.

He has flaws which need to be sorted out, he seems to run too much and too quickly, and his accuracy needs to improve, he needs to cut down on the sacks.

He may or may not be able to accomplish these improvements, and therefore he may or may not be a possible answer for us, but comparing him to Bledsoe just doesn't seem accurate.

ddaryl
09-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Locker is looking rock solid so far this season.. On a team that is still rebuilding from recruiting violations...

These threads proclaiming which QB we have to take or not are a joke

Locker Luck or Mallett whomever turns out to be the best QB at the end of thsi season is the one I want, or maybe its yet another QB...

superbills
09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Devlin is my guy and I think you can get him round two. LT round one, Devlin round two and Im a happy camper.

I'm not familiar with Devlin. Will he be ready to start next year, or is he someone we'll have to groom? I would be OK with getting a stop-gap veteran in here while we develop a QB who might need some time. Bottom line is, regardless of who we draft, we need to do it right. We can't afford to whiff on this one.

TacklingDummy
09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Are we really worried the Bills are going to pick a bust? Remember this is a team that has drafted Arron Maybin, Mike Williams, Willis McGahee, Donte Whitner, JP Losman, John McCargo, Marshawn Lynch.

Drafting another bust would be no big deal.

They have to try and start somewhere.

DraftBoy
09-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm not familiar with Devlin. Will he be ready to start next year, or is he someone we'll have to groom? I would be OK with getting a stop-gap veteran in here while we develop a QB who might need some time. Bottom line is, regardless of who we draft, we need to do it right. We can't afford to whiff on this one.

He'll need time to develop. There is no way he should be starting next season.

better days
09-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Are we really worried the Bills are going to pick a bust? Remember this is a team that has drafted Arron Maybin, Mike Williams, Willis McGahee, Donte Whitner, JP Losman, John McCargo, Marshawn Lynch.

Drafting another bust would be no big deal.

They have to try and start somewhere.

I don't understand why people keep bringing up the failure of the old front office & projecting that onto the new front office. Nix has nothing in common with Jauron.

Mad Max
09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't understand why people keep bringing up the failure of the old front office & projecting that onto the new front office. Nix has nothing in common with Jauron.

Old Management-Ralph-New Management

The owner IS the organization. After repeated failures by Ralph to bring in the right people to run his business, he no longer deserves any benefit of the doubt. Now any hire of his is to be presumed guilty until proven innocent.

Nighthawk
09-17-2010, 05:20 PM

If they are picking where we expect them to pick...picking a LT over a QB would be stupid. LT can be had later...franchise QB's are much harder to find. This being said, it's tough to say that the player we pick LT or QB, won't be a bust. You just never know.

DraftBoy
09-17-2010, 07:07 PM

Locker looked better last week it was his Week 1 game that has me more concerned, three drives to try and win the game, all three drives failed and that was against BYU.

DraftBoy
09-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Exactly. Unfortunately all I've seen are the box scores but his numbers look good. He apparently torched Syracuse.

Box Scores tell very little, we will know far more after his game v. a very good Nebraska defense.

DraftBoy
09-17-2010, 07:08 PM

Mallet on ESPN v. UGA should be good. Keep in mind UGA runs a 3-4 defense so this should be extra interesting to Bills fans to see how Mallett plays against a 3-4.

DraftBoy
09-17-2010, 07:09 PM

Ive only got one guy that's top 10 right now and that's Andrew Luck, knowing how you liked Crompton last season I think you'll like Luck as well, or Devlin out of Delaware.

DraftBoy
09-17-2010, 07:10 PM
You highlight the word mobile, and in a prior post you compare Locker to Bledsoe and his "cement shoes"

Have you watched Locker? He is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) QB's in the NCAA and he's extremely mobile, making almost as many plays with his feet as with his arm.

He has flaws which need to be sorted out, he seems to run too much and too quickly, and his accuracy needs to improve, he needs to cut down on the sacks.

He may or may not be able to accomplish these improvements, and therefore he may or may not be a possible answer for us, but comparing him to Bledsoe just doesn't seem accurate.

Mobile does not mean the fastest. Keep in mind it has little to do with speed but more to do with feeling pressure, knowing when to step up, and when to take off. Speed is lower on the list.

DraftBoy
09-17-2010, 07:11 PM
If they are picking where we expect them to pick...picking a LT over a QB would be stupid. LT can be had later...franchise QB's are much harder to find. This being said, it's tough to say that the player we pick LT or QB, won't be a bust. You just never know.

Nothing wrong with picking a LT over a QB, we need both equally and without a LT it could be argued we could kill a young QB's career ala David Carr. There is little question to me that our top 4 picks need to be DE, QB, LT, and OLB in some order.

DraftBoy
09-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Also remember this name; Nick Foles, Arizona

He plays Iowa on Saturday night, he's a 6'5 Junior. Watch this kid if you get a chance.

Nighthawk
09-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Nothing wrong with picking a LT over a QB, we need both equally and without a LT it could be argued we could kill a young QB's career ala David Carr. There is little question to me that our top 4 picks need to be DE, QB, LT, and OLB in some order.

True, but if the QB is truely a "franchise QB" type...a bad OL will not change that. I agree on the positions that need to be taken. I cannot believe we are already talking about the draft already!

BillsWin
09-18-2010, 07:03 PM

I think he is a guy you need to sit one year before he is ready to take over. This is why I want us to go left tackle first, then take Devlin. That way we can pick up a veteran guy to hold us over a year and develop Devlin. Then, it's Devlin's team for 10+ years. That's just my opinion.

I'm weary of taking a QB really high. If you are going to pay top 5 money, I want a sure pick and the BPA. If that's a QB, then ok. But if it's a tackle or a wide receiver or a linebacker, I'd rather go that route.

X-Era
09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
I think he is a guy you need to sit one year before he is ready to take over. This is why I want us to go left tackle first, then take Devlin. That way we can pick up a veteran guy to hold us over a year and develop Devlin. Then, it's Devlin's team for 10+ years. That's just my opinion.

I'm weary of taking a QB really high. If you are going to pay top 5 money, I want a sure pick and the BPA. If that's a QB, then ok. But if it's a tackle or a wide receiver or a linebacker, I'd rather go that route.

Overall, I dont agree, I think were likely to pick top 5 and that we may have a QB there thats worthy. Im not sure the same can be said for LT. Its early yet though.

From what Ive seen, Id rather take Gabbert in the 2nd (if he comes out). Devlin hasnt stepped up against the big teams as much as I would like.

Gabbert:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3290932#post3290932

Devlin:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=187226

Bmax
09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Also remember this name; Nick Foles, Arizona

He plays Iowa on Saturday night, he's a 6'5 Junior. Watch this kid if you get a chance.

I will pass on Foles...He is a check down king just like Trent.....

Luck seems to be the best of the lot ...Heck I take Pryor in 2012 before Foles.. Or Devlin....

Bmax

Extremebillsfan247
09-19-2010, 01:22 AM
After watching Washington, Arkansas, and Stanford play this weekend, I have to say Mallet and Luck are looking very solid right now. Locker doesn't appear to even be on the same level with these 2 and I watched him play today, and last week. Hard to find a Delaware game stream. lol So no views of Devlin at least not yet.

I could always youtube a highlight, but I don't really like those things because they don't really show how that player reacts when things are not going well. That's what I want to see when I watch a college game. How will that QB act under pressure? how will that QB bounce back and rally his troups when they fall behind in tough games? you wont see that in a highlight reel. Mallet was really impressive today against Georgia.

Then I watched Luck... lol There are no words for that performance against Wake Forest. Either Wake Forest is a bad college team, or Luck is just a product of a well coached one with a lot of solid seniors on that Oline. His backup looked almost as good as he did, so I will have to watch Stanford again next week. But in this game, Luck was money for something like 6 straight drives down field. Wake Forest just could not stop this QB. He looks like a future franchise to me, Mallet looks pretty close to it, Locker looks more like a hit or miss. But that is my point of view from just a couple of games worth of watching. I'm sure some of you may view it a lot differently. JMO

jcdavey
09-19-2010, 02:05 AM
as a person with a friend who is a huge arkansas fan, i can tell you (not sure if he's going to be in the next draft) ryan mallet is the best qb in college football

SeatownBillsFan21
09-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Ok so i have been on the Locker banwagon for a while i still love this kid has a big time arm something we need in Buffalo and has the heart of a champion but it going to be hard to defend him this week after that performance today that was so bad turned it off at the end of the 3rd.that said the kid is so very RAW and has lots of upside but are Bills fan willing to wait??Luck looked great and will hold judgment on Mallet till after they play #1 Alabama next week.

Night Train
09-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Locker completely sucked against Nebraska. Once again, I don't see the attraction AT ALL.

I'll take Mallet over him 10 out of 10 times and I still doubt the Bills will select a QB early anyhow, even though they need one badly.

Extremebillsfan247
09-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Ok so i have been on the Locker banwagon for a while i still love this kid has a big time arm something we need in Buffalo and has the heart of a champion but it going to be hard to defend him this week after that performance today that was so bad turned it off at the end of the 3rd.that said the kid is so very RAW and has lots of upside but are Bills fan willing to wait??Luck looked great and will hold judgment on Mallet till after they play #1 Alabama next week.

Yeah, well now I'm interested in seeing how Locker rebounds from that performance and see if he can overcome it. Mallet is going to be interesting to watch against a very well coached football team in Alabama. I'm not expecting him to come out victorious but will watch it anyway to see how he handles it.

No matter who we end up drafting, if we get any of these 3 QBs at all, they can expect to be drafted into a team most likely still trying to find an identity and he can expect to struggle here early. That is why when I watch these games, seeing how they react when things are not going well is becoming more important in my opinion. Since these QBs are all so close talent wise that on any given Sunday they can each flip flop in position, how they react to adversity may very well bring the best of the 3 to the front.

Since I have no allegiance fan wise invested into any one QB here, I can look at each QB with equal objectivity which makes this QB watch increasingly more interesting. This is going to be fun. JMO

Johnny Bugmenot
09-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Repeat after me:

TOM MODRAK IS STILL THE HEAD OF THE COLLEGE SCOUTING DEPARTMENT.

Thank you.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-19-2010, 07:50 AM
...picking a LT over a QB would be stupid. LT can be had later...franchise QB's are much harder to find.
Your logic is contradictory. LTs are a much lower risk at that high of a level. In the past decade or so, there's probably been one LT bust at that level, and that was Mike Williams. There hasn't been an injury bust at that level in over 20 years. There've been half a dozen QB busts at that level in the past decade, not to mention the 1999 draft when five QBs went that early and only one or two panned out.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have Brian Brohm at QB than Demetrius Bell at LT next season. Unfortunately, this season, our brilliant front office has picked the latter.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Your logic is contradictory. LTs are a much lower risk at that high of a level. In the past decade or so, there's probably been one LT bust at that level, and that was Mike Williams. There hasn't been an injury bust at that level in over 20 years. There've been half a dozen QB busts at that level in the past decade, not to mention the 1999 draft when five QBs went that early and only one or two panned out.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have Brian Brohm at QB than Demetrius Bell at LT next season. Unfortunately, this season, our brilliant front office has picked the latter.
I don't now where your getting this from. The bust rate is pretty equal.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3314907&postcount=16

Bell compares quite nicely with many of these 1st rounders... and Bell can still develop.

From this thread on the topic:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3314907&postcount=16