X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

Those who want Locker: something to think about

Since 2000, only 5 QBs were drafted in the first round with losing college career records. Those are Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, Jay Cutler, J.P. Losman, and Josh Freeman. Not a good group to be in if your Jake Locker looking to make an impression come draft day next year. The Bills using the number 1 pick overall on him would be unlikely. In fact they may not even need to be that high in the draft selection to get him because of the failings of his predecessors mentioned here. Scouts will undoubtedly have that noted. JMO
    Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 09-16-2010, 06:46 PM.
  • Commissioner
    • Dec 2004

Re: Those who want Locker: something to think about

Locker is not looking very impressive....

Keep your eye on Ryan Mallett... he's going to be a Heisman candidate. He's got like 700 yards passing and 7 TD's in 2 games so far. 6'6" with a rocket arm.
    Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Commissioner

Keep your eye on Ryan Mallett... he's going to be a Heisman candidate. He's got like 700 yards passing and 7 TD's in 2 games so far. 6'6" with a rocket arm.
      Really what Locker are you talking about

Comment

• Mad Max
        Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by SeatownBillsFan21
        Really what Locker are you talking about
        Exactly. Unfortunately all I've seen are the box scores but his numbers look good. He apparently torched Syracuse.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
          • Sep 2008

Ill be quite honest here, I don't follow college sports much if at all. But this seems to be a good year for doing so. A lot of good prospects coming out of this crop of college players this year is what I'm hearing. I watched Locker against Syracuse, and found myself more impressed with his receiver Jermaine Kearse than I was with him. I know it's difficult to judge from one game performance, but it will show you things highlights wont show you. JMO I will check out Mallet this weekend.

Comment

• Mad Max
            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
            • Mar 2003

I'm sure there are some (obviously) that have aligned themselves with one QB or the other, but most of us I think are just hoping we get the best available option...regardless of who he is. Locker, Luck, Devlin, Mallett, whomever.

We'll have a clearer picture at seasons end.

Comment

• Commissioner
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
              Ill be quite honest here, I don't follow college sports much if at all. But this seems to be a good year for doing so. A lot of good prospects coming out of this crop of college players this year is what I'm hearing. I watched Locker against Syracuse, and found myself more impressed with his receiver Jermaine Kearse than I was with him. I know it's difficult to judge from one game performance, but it will show you things highlights wont show you. JMO I will check out Mallet this weekend.
              Locker still looks like a very raw passer to me. I thought he would be a lot sharper in his second year in the pro style offense. He had 4 drives to try and lead his team back vs BYU week 1 and couldn't do it. For a future #1 overall pick his numbers have been pedestrian vs weak opponents. He's got a major test vs Nebraska this weekend.

Ryan Mallett also has a bigger test this weekend vs. Georgia. I believe he is playing on ESPN.

For those that may not know... you can watch just about any college game live on ESPN3.com . That's how I've been following the Qb's.
              Last edited by Commissioner; 09-16-2010, 07:19 PM.
              Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by madmaxwell
                I'm sure there are some (obviously) that have aligned themselves with one QB or the other, but most of us I think are just hoping we get the best available option...regardless of who he is. Locker, Luck, Devlin, Mallett, whomever.

We'll have a clearer picture at seasons end.
                Yeah, I can see that. Of those you listed, I've heard of Luck, Locker, and Mallet. Don't know if I've heard of Devlin, what's he like? how does he stack up with these other guys?

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Yeah, I can see that. Of those you listed, I've heard of Luck, Locker, and Mallet. Don't know if I've heard of Devlin, what's he like? how does he stack up with these other guys?
                  Ive got a profile for him in the Draft Guide in the Scouting Zone:

Pat Devlin, Delaware Height: 6-4. Weight: 220. Projected 40 Time: 4.74. Projected Round (2011): Career Stats: <table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

draft me a winner. i firmly believe a guy who wins equals a guy who studies, and a guy who has confidence.

i want some bowl game wins, i don't want him to have padded stats by beating easy teams but struggles in the big game.

i want to know with 99 yards to go and 1:45 in the game, that he has the balls and voice to say, "we are going for the win" and that you actually believe it.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Locker still looks like a very raw passer to me. I thought he would be a lot sharper in his second year in the pro style offense. He had 4 drives to try and lead his team back vs BYU week 1 and couldn't do it. For a future #1 overall pick his numbers have been pedestrian vs weak opponents. He's got a major test vs Nebraska this weekend.

Ryan Mallett also has a bigger test this weekend vs. Georgia. I believe he is playing on ESPN.

For those that may not know... you can watch just about any college game live on ESPN3.com . That's how I've been following the Qb's.
                      IMO, Mallett looks more polished from last year than Locker so far. We need to see all of them against stiff competition. Locker is more talented athletically. But if it doesn't translate to a polished QB in all the mental aspects it may never make a good NFL QB.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                        • Jul 2002

Since 2000, only 5 QBs were drafted in the first round with losing college career records. Those are Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, Jay Cutler, J.P. Losman, and Josh Freeman. Not a good group to be in if your Jake Locker looking to make an impression come draft day next year. The Bills using the number 1 pick overall on him would be unlikely. In fact they may not even need to be that high in the draft selection to get him because of the failings of his predecessors mentioned here. Scouts will undoubtedly have that noted. JMO
                        For those that don't want a potential franchise QB...remember this...TRENT SUCKS AND ALWAYS WILL!

Comment

• Mad Max
                          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                          • Mar 2003

To be honest with you, I have no idea I've never seen him play...he's just one of the top guys on radar of the Draft "Gurus".

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus
                            draft me a winner. i firmly believe a guy who wins equals a guy who studies, and a guy who has confidence.

i want some bowl game wins, i don't want him to have padded stats by beating easy teams but struggles in the big game.

i want to know with 99 yards to go and 1:45 in the game, that he has the balls and voice to say, "we are going for the win" and that you actually believe it.
                            This is the type of quality I see in my darkhorse Gabbert. Luck is the closest to a sure fire prospect I have seen so far. Mallett has been this type of QB a few times but its been inconsistent... show me this year that you can handle the big teams. That said, they all have to show that.

Comment

• Commissioner
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by X-Era
                              IMO, Mallett looks more polished from last year than Locker so far. We need to see all of them against stiff competition. Locker is more talented athletically. But if it doesn't translate to a polished QB in all the mental aspects it may never make a good NFL QB.
                              Ive always thought Mallett had accuracy issues but he's surprised me this year. His first game i think he had the 2nd highest completion percentage ever in NCAA history.

He's been taking what the defense gives him and then taking his shots when he can. He's definitely improved since last year.

Plus his personality or competitiveness kind of reminds me of Philip Rivers.
                              Last edited by Commissioner; 09-16-2010, 07:33 PM.
                              Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

Working...
                              X