PDA

View Full Version : Parcells Itching Over Unproven Players

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-14-2003, 06:14 PM
IRVING, Texas - If you are a Dallas Cowboys player entering your third NFL season, beware: You may contribute to an itch that aggravates your already impatient head coach.

Call it Bill Parcells' "three-year itch." It's pretty much non-existent during your rookie year, grows into a sizable distraction during your sophomore season, and by Year Three, is almost unbearable.

So why should a few third-year Cowboys be on high alert? By their coach's philosophy, their days to prove their NFL worth are numbered.

"The first year you give them kind of the benefit of the doubt," Parcells said, referring to a rookie's adjustment to the pros. "The second year you need to see something."

And if the training wheels don't come off by the player's third season, Parcells reaches down to scratch that itch, describing what happens to those non-productive players by making a whistling sound, suggesting they are outta here.

"Coach Landry taught me that," he said. "I can remember him telling me. It's a vivid recollection in my head."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_061303.html