PDA

View Full Version : The worst part about this decade of suckiness...

OpIv37
09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Is the way it takes all the excitement out of the game.

When our opponent has 3rd and 1 at midfield, I don't even think about getting a stop- I think "maybe we can hold them on the next set of downs and keep them out of FG range." They WILL convert the 3rd and 1 every time. It's been that way since 2005.

If we get pinned inside our own 5, I don't think about a scoring drive or even a first down. I just hope they can move the ball out 6 or 7 yards for the proper punting distance.

If it's 3rd and 4 from the opponent's 25, I don't think about a touchdown or even a 1st down. I just pray we don't get sacked so the FG attempt is easier.

The best possible outcome for us is the anti-climactic second-best result for other teams.

Historian
09-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Remember when we used to block field goals and return the blocks for points the other way?

I guy can dream, can't he?

Mr. Miyagi
09-17-2010, 11:28 AM

When our opponent has 3rd and 1 at midfield, I don't even think about getting a stop- I think "maybe we can hold them on the next set of downs and keep them out of FG range." They WILL convert the 3rd and 1 every time. It's been that way since 2005.

If we get pinned inside our own 5, I don't think about a scoring drive or even a first down. I just hope they can move the ball out 6 or 7 yards for the proper punting distance.

If it's 3rd and 4 from the opponent's 25, I don't think about a touchdown or even a 1st down. I just pray we don't get sacked so the FG attempt is easier.

The best possible outcome for us is the anti-climactic second-best result for other teams.
I don't ever again want to hear you claiming to be a "realist". Your post exemplifies a pessimist in every possible way.

RockStar36
09-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Op is right. I don't even look forward to Bills games the same way I used to. I'm usually more excited for fantasy football.

It took one half last week to make me already start scouting QBs in college. It's awful.

OpIv37
09-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't ever again want to hear you claiming to be a "realist". Your post exemplifies a pessimist in every possible way.

hahahahahahahaha really?

Look at our opponents' 3rd and short conversion rate over the last 5 years. Look at our offensive production and our redzone percentage. Statistically, failure is by far the most likely outcome.

more cowbell
09-17-2010, 11:33 AM

even if we ever stop them, they will go for it on 4th down. seen it happen before on the goal-line

Mr. Miyagi
09-17-2010, 11:40 AM
RockStar is right though. I'm usually a lot more excited about fantasy football now.

But see the difference between me (a normal Bills fan) and Op (a pessimist) is that I don't automatically assume the worst outcome. I root for them to succeed and and hope for the best, whereas Op doesn't hope for thebest outcome, he "just hope(s) they can move the ball out 6 or 7 yards for the proper punting distance."

Can you argue with your own words?

OpIv37
09-17-2010, 11:42 AM
RockStar is right though. I'm usually a lot more excited about fantasy football now.

But see the difference between me (a normal Bills fan) and Op (a pessimist) is that I don't automatically assume the worst outcome. I root for them to succeed and and hope for the best, whereas Op doesn't hope for thebest outcome, he "just hope(s) they can move the ball out 6 or 7 yards for the proper punting distance."

Can you argue with your own words?

I can hope to win the lottery too-statistically it's got about the same chances as the Bills engineering a 95 yard drive for a touchdown. I automatically assume the most likely outcome- it's not my fault that it also happens to be the worst possible outcome.

malo
09-17-2010, 11:43 AM
For me the worst part is that there is no end in sight.

Mr. Miyagi
09-17-2010, 11:44 AM
The point is, when you stop hoping for the best outcome for your team, you're a pessimist at best and not a fan at all at worst.

Which one?

OpIv37
09-17-2010, 11:51 AM
The point is, when you stop hoping for the best outcome for your team, you're a pessimist at best and not a fan at all at worst.

Which one?

whatever- I don't see any point in blind hope. If you want to continue to hope for impossible outcomes, go right ahead. It isn't going to bring you anything but disappointment. An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised.

RockStar36
09-17-2010, 11:53 AM
The Bills are so bad that when they went for it on 4th down against Miami, I was *****ing because I thought they should've taken the FG to go down 13-6 and then hope for a miracle touchdown. There wasn't an ounce of me that thought they would convert a long 4th down, let alone score a TD on the play.

Mr. Miyagi
09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm not disagreeing that the Bills suck. I'm not saying that I'm terribly surprised when we play badly, nor that I'm totally shocked that we lose.

But being a fan is to want them to do well, hope for them to do well, and yes that means we're always allowing ourselves to be vulnerable to be disappointed. But being a fan means we get up, dust ourselves off, and do it again to go on rooting and hoping for the best. On every play, in every game.

Perhaps you were once a true fan, and like many of us you have become super jaded through the years of sucking. I don't blame you. But when you find yourself not hoping for us to win and make a play anymore, you cease being a fan. And it's not your fault. It happens to a lot of people. Just don't go on and tell me that you're a Bills fan anymore when you have lost all hope.

malo
09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
The pessimists used to bother me. this team was much more competitive under donahoe/williams/mularkey. the last 2 years the front office just laid down. Besides TO (which was a last ditch kind of thing), they've shied away from quality FAs. The result is evident on the field. Even if they weren't too good, I used to like to watch the younger players develop while they were "rebuilding." No I see the younger players and kind of feel bad for them because the front office is not doing anything at all to make this team competitive. I kind of lost enthusiasm for watching too. I don't consider myself less of a fan. It's kind of like accusing a battered housewife of not being a loyal spouse when she's had enough.

OpIv37
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
arrgh. You win. I'm not a fan. I have better things to do then argue about this.

malo
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm not disagreeing that the Bills suck. I'm not saying that I'm terribly surprised when we play badly, nor that I'm totally shocked that we lose.

But being a fan is to want them to do well, hope for them to do well, and yes that means we're always allowing ourselves to be vulnerable to be disappointed. But being a fan means we get up, dust ourselves off, and do it again to go on rooting and hoping for the best. On every play, in every game.

Perhaps you were once a true fan, and like many of us you have become super jaded through the years of sucking. I don't blame you. But when you find yourself not hoping for us to win and make a play anymore, you cease being a fan. And it's not your fault. It happens to a lot of people. Just don't go on and tell me that you're a Bills fan anymore when you have lost all hope.

if he wasn't a fan he wouldn't be posting here. the judges of "fandom" are kind of lame.

Ickybaluky
09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I was wondering how long it would take to whip out the "true fan" line. It brings the lameness to new levels.

It is hard to imagine someone not being a fan if they manage to stick around during the down times, especially when they extend for a decade. I am sure there are times he wonders why he keeps doing it, but you can't accuse him of being fair-weather. He obviously cares, which is why he gets so frustrated and negative.

Beebe's Kid
09-17-2010, 04:04 PM
arrgh. You win. I'm not a fan. I have better things to do then argue about this.
I find that hard to believe, as you spend a good portion of your day, everyday, arguing.

I actually wouldn't say you aren't a fan, though. You are, in my estimation, a huge fan. You could possibly be the Bills biggest fan. If being a fan of this team was the negative, miserable experience it is for you, to others, they would have jumped ship a long time ago. Myself included.

If you have made it this far, to question your fanhood is not valid.

How can we not think that they are going to flame out on offense. 8 of 12 drives went 3 and out. That doesn't mean I won't be holding out hope that we win in GB this weekend...and I bet if the little window into Op's souls would just allow us a little peek inside, you do too.

You just don't ever admit it, and would never let yourself show that you were pumped up...only to be let down.

Little Op is still inside of you somewhere. He's wearing his Zubaz, his Starter coat, and his QB Club hat. He's yelling "Wemebah Yim Kewwy and Andway Weed? Bwuce Smit? Wemembah?"

Let Little Op come out and play...maybe he is the Bills good luck charm!!!

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2010, 04:07 PM
We will know when Op stops being a fan because the Bills will win 5 in a row.

imbondz
09-17-2010, 08:04 PM

LOL. my exact sentiments.

Cntrygal
09-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Remember when we used to block field goals and return the blocks for points the other way?

I guy can dream, can't he?

:sigh:

Cntrygal
09-17-2010, 08:33 PM
The Bills are so bad that when they went for it on 4th down against Miami, I was *****ing because I thought they should've taken the FG to go down 13-6 and then hope for a miracle touchdown. There wasn't an ounce of me that thought they would convert a long 4th down, let alone score a TD on the play.

I COMPLETELY agree. I was like "WTF are they doing?!?!?!" Then I stood there for a couple seconds and screamed "WTF just happened?!?!?! - HOW did they manage THAT?!?!?!?"

BertSquirtgum
09-18-2010, 12:36 AM
whatever- I don't see any point in blind hope. If you want to continue to hope for impossible outcomes, go right ahead. It isn't going to bring you anything but disappointment. An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised.
while i agree with your first post in this thread, you can shove that ******ed "an optimist can never be pleasantly surprised" argument right up your arse. that has to be the stupidest thing i've will ever read. you get called out for not being the "realist" you claim to be and then bring up this bull**** argument again.

bosshogg21
09-18-2010, 02:47 AM
The worst part for me is I long for the jp losman days over this crap. You could count on at least one bomb or something exciting. This has become putrid football. We cheer for first downs and 3rd down stops like a score has taken place. It's slowly gone downhill from the glory days to flutie then bledsoe then losman to complete garbage right now. With each passing name the excitment on the field became less.

Dujek
09-18-2010, 06:53 AM
I agree, sort of.

I still hold out hope every play that we will do something, but my faith in the offense to execute has disappeared.

Takes you back to the biblical faith, hope and love. Most of us have lost our faith in the team's ability, some of us still hold out hope that they can win games even despite that, and all of us still love the team. I just wonder how many more years of this crap we'll have to put up with before we all lose our hope and love.

Throne Logic
09-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Ah. But there is a distinct difference between "hoping" and "believing". I always hope they will look like a real team. I just cannot believe it will happen until I see something change.

Cntrygal
09-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Ah. But there is a distinct difference between "hoping" and "believing". I always hope they will look like a real team. I just cannot believe it will happen until I see something change.

Agreed! You can even add in "want". I WANT the Bills to win (or at least be competitive). I HOPE that they will win (or at least be competitive). But, I really don't believe it.... I can't hardly believe it when they DO do something good. I think it's my imagination or that I'm dreaming.

:sigh:

Jan Reimers
09-18-2010, 03:20 PM
The worst part is reading the repetitive, dead horse beating, mind numbing threads on here telling us how bad the Bills are, ad finitum, ad nauseum. Geesh, we know that, already.

Isn't there just a ray of sunshine somewhere that we could focus on, rather than starting a million threads about missed draft picks, lack of talent, hatred for Ralph, and similar diatribes and despair-ridden topics?

Spiderweb
09-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Sadly, the recent history of the Bills has made "realist" and "pessimist" somewhat synonymous.

thesquirrelking
09-18-2010, 03:47 PM
The early part of the decade wasn't so bad. At least with Greg Williams we had a rock solid defense. And Mularkey's gadget play offense had it's moments from time to time. Those games could be frustrating but still fun to watch.

But the Jauron era pretty much killed all the enthusiasm I had for this team. Worst move in team history.

Novacane
09-18-2010, 04:06 PM
if he wasn't a fan he wouldn't be posting here. the judges of "fandom" are kind of lame.

It's a lot more than kinda lame. It's freakin stupid mothereffing lame. I can't stand that BS. If I was not a fan this would not be the first site I visit every friggen day.

Novacane
09-18-2010, 04:08 PM
The worst part is reading the repetitive, dead horse beating, mind numbing threads on here telling us how bad the Bills are, ad finitum, ad nauseum. Geesh, we know that, already.

Isn't there just a ray of sunshine somewhere that we could focus on, rather than starting a million threads about missed draft picks, lack of talent, hatred for Ralph, and similar diatribes and despair-ridden topics?

Nope. That's the sad part

Novacane
09-18-2010, 04:11 PM

You're better than me. I wish they would have just gotten that last yard on 2nd down so there would be .40 seconds more on the clock when we get the ball back after their scoring drive.

OpIv37
09-18-2010, 06:04 PM

So we consistently lose with embarrassingly bad offensive numbers, and you expect every post on here to be a ray of sunshine?

This is misplaced frustration at its worst. Be mad at the team for sucking. Don't be mad at people for discussing how they suck.