PDA

View Full Version : On the intentional safety

cocamide
09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe this has been brought up already, but if you're going to take a safety, then why not at least try to run a bomb and if it's not open then Trent can step back out of the endzone or just take a knee?

justasportsfan
09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
bomb and Trent shouldn't be on the same sentence unless bomb means "blows up in your face"

wmoz11
09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
It's really hard to tell a QB to either complete a bomb or take a safety. If you throw it and it's incomplete, the other team has it at the one. The odds of even attempting that throw, knowing the ramifications, are not very good.

TMu11
09-17-2010, 11:07 AM
It's really hard to tell a QB to either complete a bomb or take a safety. If you throw it and it's incomplete, the other team has it at the one. The odds of even attempting that throw, knowing the ramifications, are not very good.
Especially when your QB is dubbed Captain Checkdown...

Yasgur's Farm
09-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Not a bad thought... Only I'd use Moorman to throw like a 20 or 30 yarder if the receiver is wide open and behind the secondary.

trapezeus
09-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm guessing time would be galleys excuse. They took the safety at 1:45. They got the ball back at :25. So had they run one play first and still took the safety, they would have been left with :10-:15 seconds. Even more dire.

They should have tried 99 yards with timeouts than guess they'd be closer. A real starter would have relished 2 minutes 3 timeouts and 99 yards to go against a rival at home. Gailey can say how much he likes these qbs, but he told us his real opinion on that playcall

DraftBoy
09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
You dont use Trent because you dont risk him time taking a blind side hit. That and he can't throw the ball over 10 yards.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I think the 1st 3 plays doomed the series period.

I'm willing to bet that this scenario happens again, there will be a running play called. 1:45 and two time outs.

Spiller being a rookie may have some effect on this. Otherwise he should be on the field, both as a receiver and as a running threat.

If you are the defense, what what you do in that situation? Miami did exactly what most would expect in that situation: sit in the zone and keep everything in front of them. I would do the following: 1st down let Trent throw. Afterall, Spiller is a rookie and Trent was hot the series before, let's see if he can continue. 2nd down, I'm calling a screen to Spiller and attack one side of the field to at least get us some room.

Ebenezer
09-17-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm guessing time would be galleys excuse. They took the safety at 1:45. They got the ball back at :25. So had they run one play first and still took the safety, they would have been left with :10-:15 seconds. Even more dire.

They should have tried 99 yards with timeouts than guess they'd be closer. A real starter would have relished 2 minutes 3 timeouts and 99 yards to go against a rival at home. Gailey can say how much he likes these qbs, but he told us his real opinion on that playcall

There is your answer. The safety took exactly two seconds.

ChristopherWalken
09-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Time and poor short throw could end up in a pick 6...though I'm not sure why they needed the punt team on the field? They could have just as easily done the same thing with the starting offense.

My guess is that they were considering the fake punt but only if Miami lined up in a specific formation. Didn't happen and instead opted for plan B: having the center launch the ball just beneath the uprights.

I was actually OK with the Safety. Seemed like a logical way of diggin out of a hole, especially knowing your offense wasn't going to bail you out.

feldspar
09-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Maybe this has been brought up already, but if you're going to take a safety, then why not at least try to run a bomb and if it's not open then Trent can step back out of the endzone or just take a knee?

You may have a point there.

I'm a gambling man, though. I was stupid enough to take the Bills +3.5...they were beating the spread by a half-point when they intentionally gave up that safety. Cost me money, adding insult to injury. I usually stay away from betting Bills games either way, and I'm going to try to remember that. Don't know the latest line, but I think the Bills are close to 2 TD underdogs, maybe 13 points. I'm not touching that with a 50-foot pole. The Bills are the biggest underdogs by far this week.

cocamide
09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
You may have a point there.

I'm a gambling man, though. I was stupid enough to take the Bills +3.5...they were beating the spread by a half-point when they intentionally gave up that safety. Cost me money, adding insult to injury. I usually stay away from betting Bills games either way, and I'm going to try to remember that. Don't know the latest line, but I think the Bills are close to 2 TD underdogs, maybe 13 points. I'm not touching that with a 50-foot pole. The Bills are the biggest underdogs by far this week.

Ouch, didn't even think of that. At least you're not this guy...

http://i.imgur.com/kMgW9.jpg

Buddo
09-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Like it or not, the one thing I will say about it, is that the coaches/Gailey got their heads around what they were going to do pretty quickly, made a decision, then acted on it.
While it may not have been a 'perfect' solution, it still did result in us getting the football back, with just enough time on the clock for an outside chance.
Jauron would probably have lost the 25 seconds (or so) we ended up with, just thinking about what to do.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Time and poor short throw could end up in a pick 6...though I'm not sure why they needed the punt team on the field? They could have just as easily done the same thing with the starting offense.

My guess is that they were considering the fake punt but only if Miami lined up in a specific formation. Didn't happen and instead opted for plan B: having the center launch the ball just beneath the uprights.

I was actually OK with the Safety. Seemed like a logical way of diggin out of a hole, especially knowing your offense wasn't going to bail you out.

But you'd think the offense would bail you out of needing at a minimum of 80 yards with no timeouts and even less time?

Hell, Miami's punter coulda pinned the team back inside the 5 again OR even worse they get a first down and you gave the game away.

Either way, the safety call was a give up play.

Historian
09-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Considering our hail mary on the last play was for about 13 yards....

YardRat
09-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Should've pulled the ol' hook and ladder out of the grab bag. Edwards to Nelson to Spiller.