PDA

View Full Version : Want to see what all the fuss is about? Locker/ Mallett

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Two of the big name QB's (for the handful of you that haven't heard of them) are playing this afternoon, you can watch them even if their games aren't being televised in your area.

Locker- 3:30 Eastern, Nebraska@Washington

Mallett- 12:00 Eastern, Arkansas@Georgia

Go to this ESPN link, http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

They're going to ask you for you cable company, and username and password.

For all those haven't been on it, it's a great site and a great quality and reliable feed (if you have enough bandwidth).

PcA125
09-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I think Locker plays at 3:30

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 10:19 AM
You're right, good catch.

wmoz11
09-18-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm going to watch both very closely - not just for Bills purposes, but because they're fun to watch. Hoping Locker can get a "signature" win.

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm going to watch both very closely - not just for Bills purposes, but because they're fun to watch. Hoping Locker can get a "signature" win.

Yeah the Huskers are pretty good this year, that would be a nice feather.

Let's hope one of these guys (or one of the other guys on the "radar") elevates himself above the rest, so the decision will be Peyton Manning easy for us.

PcA125
09-18-2010, 10:27 AM

That would be a huge win for him. I will also be watching both Qbs. Its actually kind of sad that I'm already looking for the next bills Qb, but at least it makes football relevent again.

DraftBoy
09-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Don't forget about Nick Foles playing Iowa late tonight.

And Bills scouts are going to be at Pat Devlin's game today.

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 10:57 AM

You like these radar periphery guys eh, I barely had heard of Devlin and hadn't heard of Foles. But if you say they're good I may need to watch a game or two.

I did a quick lookup on Walterfootball.com on Foles and found a disturbing quote on him though.

A transfer from Michigan State, Nick Foles threw for 2,465 yards, 19 touchdowns, nine interceptions and a 64.3 completion percentage in his first year as a starter. His YPA of 6.2 was horrendous - a result of his checking it down far too often.

He better break that habit before we consider him!

DraftBoy
09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
You like these radar periphery guys eh, I barely had heard of Devlin and hadn't heard of Foles. But if you say they're good I may need to watch a game or two.

I did a quick lookup on Walterfootball.com on Foles and found a disturbing quote on him though.

A transfer from Michigan State, Nick Foles threw for 2,465 yards, 19 touchdowns, nine interceptions and a 64.3 completion percentage in his first year as a starter. His YPA of 6.2 was horrendous - a result of his checking it down far too often.

Neither of these guys are periphery guys, imo. Both have excellent talent and lack the playmakers guys like Mallett and Locker have to help them.

About what Walter wrote, let's just say I disagree.

Prov401
09-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm watching Mallet. The dude has a rocket.

X-Era
09-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm watching Mallet. The dude has a rocket.

He continues to impress me this year. Last year he looked clueless at times and just heaved it up there, this year he is calm in the pocket, is patient, and delivers the ball. What a difference between this year and last year. The only glitch on him would be his throws sometimes wobble. Its not clear to me whether its footwork of mechanics or both. I plan to scout this game tomorrow, right now I'm just enjoying it.

Dujek
09-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm watching Mallet at the minute, he looks the part anyway.

Though ESPN America is showing Florida @ Tennessee next, rather than the Nebraska game.

Prov401
09-18-2010, 01:23 PM
He can definitely hit wide open people. He's got two TD's on blown coverages, but still, that pass he threw before the half... That was a throw our QB's have absolutely no balls to make...

SeatownBillsFan21
09-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Wow Mallet is making a case for himself today huh??

TacklingDummy
09-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Mallet or Locker

X-Era
09-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Calm, collected, and methodical on that TD drive. Waited for things to open up, felt the pressure, and found the open men. That's what I wanted to see from him. He's a top QB candidate in this years draft.

JCBills
09-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Mallett is making some very nice throws under pressure, just drove down the field and threw what is probably the game winner with 0:15 left.

X-Era
09-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Mallet or Locker

Locker has a big game next. This is just one step in the process, lot's more to go.

But right now I trust Mallett with the game on the line more than Locker.

Prov401
Mallet throws darts, and isn't afraid to throw the ball 30 yards downfield over the middle.

I might just officially be on the Mallet bandwagon. I know it's early, but he's impressed me. He looks like Roethlisberger...with more fire behind his throws if you can believe it...

X-Era
Mallett is making some very nice throws under pressure, just drove down the field and threw what is probably the game winner with 0:15 left.

Polish was what he lacked in my mind last year, he's much better this year.

X-Era
09-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Did you see his interview? He comes off like he's either not that bright or a bit of a punk. I will be very interested to see what teams think of him during interviews.

JCBills
09-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Mallett vs. Georgia:

21/33 380 yds 3 TDs

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Did you see his interview? He comes off like he's either not that bright or a bit of a punk. I will be very interested to see what teams think of him during interviews.

Intelligence has to be the top of list attribute we look for in our next QB, we've seen up close what dumb strong armed guys can do (not much).

X-Era
09-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Intelligence has to be the top of list attribute we look for in our next QB, we've seen up close what dumb strong armed guys can do (not much).Did you watch his interview? What did you think?

Don't Panic
09-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Intelligence has to be the top of list attribute we look for in our next QB, we've seen up close what dumb strong armed guys can do (not much).

...not to mention smart, weak-armed guys.

X-Era
09-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Here's what were likely to see from Locker, an athletic guy who can run and throws a pretty ball but who will look confused at times and will get rattled. I hope he shows the poise and pocket presence, but he hasn't developed it as much as I would have hoped.

X-Era
09-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Or the occasional poor decision.

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Ya, he sounds like an acorn. To be honest I've only seen him in the past on ESPN clips, really the first time I ever heard him speak.....but first impression not impressive.

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 02:50 PM
...not to mention smart, weak-armed guys.

I see you're an Arizona fan. What do you think of your boy (and draftboy's) boy Foles?

Michael82
09-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Nice touchdown run by Jake Locker! He may not have the poise and pocket presence...but at least he can run. :up:

Michael82
09-18-2010, 03:05 PM
I've wanted Locker for a while, but Mallett impressed me today. He looks like he might be a good QB. Locker is a good athlete, but a raw passer.

Commissioner
09-18-2010, 03:12 PM
That would be a huge win for him. I will also be watching both Qbs. Its actually kind of sad that I'm already looking for the next bills Qb, but at least it makes football relevent again.

You shouldn't be sad. A lot of Bills fans are forgetting that we are rebuilding with a new head coach and GM. We should be interested in the future right now.

Commissioner
09-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Polish was what he lacked in my mind last year, he's much better this year. Polished is a good word to describe Mallett. I have been a big fan of his for a couple years... but he definitely took his game up a notch this year and knows how to let the game come to him.

His competitive nature and attitude remind me a lot of Philip Rivers.

Commissioner
09-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Locker should of come out last year with all the hype. His draft stock is falling. He looks like a he's gonna need a couple years of developing.

Michael82
09-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Locker should of come out last year with all the hype. His draft stock is falling. He looks like a he's gonna need a couple years of developing.
Locker is playing on a bad team and that's definitely not helping him.

X-Era
09-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Locker is playing on a bad team and that's definitely not helping him.

Vs. the great team he will play for if we draft him?

I get your point though.

wmoz11
09-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Locker would be right at home behind our offensive line.

He's my favorite player in a long time, but gotta admit he looks bad today so far. He may turn it around, but concerns about his accuracy seem warranted as of now.

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Nice touchdown run by Jake Locker! He may not have the poise and pocket presence...but at least he can run. :up:

Maybe he's the mythical "Flutie's head on Rob Johnson's body" we once pined for?

Let's Capture that

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:2HyBE41VJCPxGM:http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll269/JAFieryHorseGirl/unicorn.jpg&t=1

Michael82
09-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Wow...I'm changing my opinion on Locker. He looks like another crappy Buffalo QB. I don't want him anymore. The only good thing is his running. But that's it...

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Jake Locker is not convincing me that he is anything special here.

wmoz11
09-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Don't let him get in rhythm...

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 04:28 PM

That last drive was the perfect example of why he's hyped as much as he is. Like the announcers have been harping on..he's raw..but his skill is undeniable.

X-Era
09-18-2010, 04:32 PM
That last drive was the perfect example of why he's hyped as much as he is. Like the announcers have been harping on..he's raw..but his skill is undeniable.

Thats about as concise as it can be said.

ddaryl
09-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Mallett just took a significant lead with todays perfromance

Locker not so good today

Michael82
09-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I agree. He looks like another mediocre QB that the Bills love to draft.

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I agree. He looks like another mediocre QB that the Bills love to draft.

He has time to rebound, and as is evident his team is clearly overmatched in all 3 facets of the game by Nebraska (as much as it pains me to say it as I have always despised them).

Having said that if he has 2-3 more stinkers like today...even the Bills won't look at him.

mrbojanglezs
09-18-2010, 05:22 PM
luck>mallet>>>locker

X-Era
09-18-2010, 05:23 PM
luck>mallet>>>locker

And IMO, at this very early point,

Gabbert > Locker.

Ingtar33
09-18-2010, 05:46 PM
I've been telling you all for a long time Locker has no right to 1st round hype.

the kid can't read a defense, and isn't anywhere near as accurate as he needs to be to succeed at the next level.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-18-2010, 10:40 PM

Ah, people with real names. I was wondering if any would be considered.

ZacGriffi~82
09-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Trent has to watch Stanford now and wonder where the hell this offensive line was when he was there.

Nighthawk
09-18-2010, 11:03 PM
I've been telling you all for a long time Locker has no right to 1st round hype.

the kid can't read a defense, and isn't anywhere near as accurate as he needs to be to succeed at the next level.

And this is why I argued this past draft that this kid should have come out. Very stupid move to go back when the hype was at the highest for him. Now he might end up another Jevan Snead...:coocoo:

gonzo1105
09-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Andrew Luck is better then them all. I tried to say that Locker would push this franchise back another 5 years if we drafted him. You can say he doesn't have talent around him etc but 4-20 today is just down right bad. He is an athletic guy who is an average Quarterback. Sort of like Michael Vick. I dont mind Mallett but there is something special about Andrew Luck and this team needs to get him. He is one right now on ESPN 2 and he is at the moment 9/11 for 2 TD's through a Quarter and a half.

psubills62
09-18-2010, 11:29 PM

Just FYI, walterfootball is a decent enough reference to just get familiar with who is out there. However, their analysis is...sucky is the only word that comes to mind. Take it with a boulder-sized grain of salt.

I haven't really gotten to watch much of the games, but Locker's stat line was abysmal. Foles and Luck are looking good, while Stanzi is reverting to his form from the last two years - inconsistent (that's my word of the day).

Seems like there are a lot of second-tier QB's who we could target in the draft. Guys like Foles, Stanzi, etc. Guys who could be good with a little work, and could be had in the middle rounds. I wouldn't mind getting some studs in the 1st and 2nd rounds before going with a decent QB, depending on who enters the draft. Maybe WR, OT, QB? Then defense (LB's, DE) in the later rounds.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Just FYI, walterfootball is a decent enough reference to just get familiar with who is out there. However, their analysis is...sucky is the only word that comes to mind. Take it with a boulder-sized grain of salt.

I haven't really gotten to watch much of the games, but Locker's stat line was abysmal. Foles and Luck are looking good, while Stanzi is reverting to his form from the last two years - inconsistent (that's my word of the day).

Seems like there are a lot of second-tier QB's who we could target in the draft. Guys like Foles, Stanzi, etc. Guys who could be good with a little work, and could be had in the middle rounds. I wouldn't mind getting some studs in the 1st and 2nd rounds before going with a decent QB, depending on who enters the draft. Maybe WR, OT, QB? Then defense (LB's, DE) in the later rounds.

Their analysis is sucky, I agree.

DraftBoy
09-19-2010, 11:40 AM
And this is why I argued this past draft that this kid should have come out. Very stupid move to go back when the hype was at the highest for him. Now he might end up another Jevan Snead...:coocoo:

Keep in mind he only got a 3rd round grade last season so even though fans hyped him, it was clear from the NFL Advisory Committee that not all NFL people felt the same about him. While they are certainly not always right about these things, that was a big reason why he came back.

DraftBoy
09-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Despite his dump of a game yesterday, I can't see him falling very far. Some team is going to take a big reach on him ala Tim Tebow, thinking they can spend two years giving him special packages and allow him to develop slowly.

DraftBoy
09-19-2010, 11:44 AM
For those going goo-goo over Mallet's performance in Athens, keep in mind what his second half looked like when he finally felt pressure. Way too many balls thrown up, he lost his technique, and accuracy.

All these things are very correctable but there were plenty of red flags that Mallett still showed.

I was in Athens at that game. He looked very good in the 1st half, but his second half was less than impressive.

Michael82
09-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Please Mallett or Luck...save our team! I'm sick to death of inept QB play and hate Trent Edwards with a passion. We need a new QB of the future... :pray: