PDA

View Full Version : Four teams vote to decertify NFLPA

YardRat
09-18-2010, 04:20 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-teams-preparing-for-lockout-fight-091710?GT1=39002

Players for four NFL teams have already taken a key step in their looming fight with the league over pay — a fight that may include a lockout next year.

Carl Francis, a spokesman for the NFL Players Association, confirmed in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Friday that Indianapolis, Dallas, New Orleans and Philadelphia have all voted unanimously to decertify the union. He said union leaders were still collecting voting cards from other teams.

Decertification would strip the union of its collective bargaining rights on behalf of the players, so the move might seem counter-intuitive. But since antitrust laws exempt NFL owners from being sued by unions that are negotiating CBAs, decertification would in essence eliminate the union and allow players to sue the NFL in the event of a lockout — giving them potential leverage in their dispute with the owners.

Mad Max
09-18-2010, 04:57 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-teams-preparing-for-lockout-fight-091710?GT1=39002

The grubby paws of lawyers are going to be all over this mess.

Ebenezer
09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
I don't get it. Didn't they decertify once before and then reorganize? At the end of each contract this is going to keep happening?

YardRat
09-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't get it. Didn't they decertify once before and then reorganize? At the end of each contract this is going to keep happening?

The NFLPA was decertified in 1989, two years after a failed players' strike. It returned as a union in 1993, when a contract was reached with the league that provided for free agency. That landmark CBA was renewed or restructured several times since 1993, including in 2006. The owners opted out of that deal two years ago.

Pretty good gig, huh? Go with union representation, then when things heat up just quit and be able to initiate litigation.

Ebenezer
09-18-2010, 08:35 PM
The NFLPA was decertified in 1989, two years after a failed players' strike. It returned as a union in 1993, when a contract was reached with the league that provided for free agency. That landmark CBA was renewed or restructured several times since 1993, including in 2006. The owners opted out of that deal two years ago.

Pretty good gig, huh? Go with union representation, then when things heat up just quit and be able to initiate litigation.
That's my point...at some point somebody has to step up and stop the game playing.

Nighthawk
09-18-2010, 08:36 PM
What...stop the Unions from playing games? Never...

X-Era
09-18-2010, 08:38 PM
That's my point...at some point somebody has to step up and stop the game playing.

If this move keeps these a-holes from locking out football while they argue over who should be richer, I'm fine with that.

ParanoidAndroid
09-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Solution: NCAA Football

Beebe's Kid
09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
What...stop the Unions from playing games? Never...
Well...I guess that's all they have left, since they have been stripped of their power that made them a wonderful thing...but this isn't the time or place to air our feelings on unions...let's just hope they don't have a lockout, or else I am going to have to look for something else to ruin my Sundays all winter.