PDA

View Full Version : The LT Debate

X-Era
09-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Since many of us feel we need to draft a new OT, lets track the stock of the top guys. Nice thought by Db to have a thread just for the purpose of tracking a position of need. At this point, I think each has a big enough question mark to keep them out of top 15 consideration. I will list a very early projection which will get more refined as we get closer to the draft. But, it's still early. To me the current list looks like this:

1) Nate Solder- He got beat around the edge for sacks vs. Cal but his size, speed, athleticism, and even his technique are good enough for him to keep the top spot as the best LT prospect. His mistake was not getting deep enough when setting the edge of the pocket and being forced to try to push the defender wide. I think this is fixable. Rating: Top 20 - Early round 2

2) Anthony Constanzo- Has the size and athleticism to plat LT but he needs to work on his technique. He needs to be more consistent in his leverage and kick slide. Top 20- Early round 2

3) Gabe Carimi- Has the size and decent strength but has borderline quickness and technique to play LT. He could be special as a RT however. Late 1st- round 2

4) Johnny Culbreath- To me he's a big time sleeper. He has the size and athletcisim to be a solid LT. He plays with good technique now even at his lower level school. Early 2- Round 3

Guys to keep an eye on:

DeMarcus Love- Has had some shaky games as of late but he has the size and some athleticism

Derek Sherrod- Has underrated athletcisim a good build, and plays with decent technique

YardRat
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I will guarantee right now at least one LT goes in the top 10.

DraftBoy
09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I think Solder's stock is going to rise and rise quickly this season, and especially at the combine.

DraftBoy
09-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Other names:
Orlando Franklin-Miami
Lee Zeimba-Auburn
Ben Ijalana-Villanova -Best LT in FCS, DII, or DIII
Tyron Smith-USC
Andrew Datko-FSU
Blake DeChristopher-Va Tech

X-Era
09-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I think Solder's stock is going to rise and rise quickly this season, and especially at the combine.
Totally agree. Giving up multiple sacks against Cal wont help him though. Personally I dont think it should hurt him much, it's fixable.
That said, to be a high 1st pick he needs to play much more consistent and show polish, IMO. But the talent is definitely there.

Ed
09-21-2010, 05:31 PM
So is this looking like a pretty weak year for OT's?

X-Era
09-21-2010, 08:12 PM
So is this looking like a pretty weak year for OT's?

To me its strongest in mid 1 to mid or late round 2. At this point I dont see anyone being worthy of above the 15 pick... but its early.

Nighthawk
09-21-2010, 08:35 PM
To me its strongest in mid 1 to mid or late round 2. At this point I dont see anyone being worthy of above the 15 pick... but its early.

And that should be good for the Bills...get a QB early and then come back and get a tackle with their 2nd rounder.

X-Era
09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
And that should be good for the Bills...get a QB early and then come back and get a tackle with their 2nd rounder.
Id like us to play to the strengths of the draft, and thats how I would play it. Especially if we need a RT instead of a LT (which is debatable).

Its still very early, things can change a lot.

DraftBoy
09-22-2010, 07:42 AM

You're playing the dangerous game of allowing for your team to reach. We don't have that luxury. We reach for a QB early and it doesnt matter what tackles we have. Same the other way as well. Im not opposed to going DE with the first pick if the right player isn't there and I think Nix has already shown he's sticking to the board and the best avail philosophy over need position picks.

psubills62
09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Depending on who comes out, I'd say the draft is weak at the elite QB position as well.

If we're truly going to play to the strengths of the draft, then we should probably go with either WR or DE in the first round, OT or QB in the second round, and then OT or QB (whichever we didn't get in the 2nd) in the third round.

X-Era
09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
You're playing the dangerous game of allowing for your team to reach. We don't have that luxury. We reach for a QB early and it doesnt matter what tackles we have. Same the other way as well. Im not opposed to going DE with the first pick if the right player isn't there and I think Nix has already shown he's sticking to the board and the best avail philosophy over need position picks.

I agree with this on two fronts.

A) We dont know if any QB is worthy of the top pick or even top 5 yet. I think it will end up that there will be, but thats an assumption. As I said the other day, dont reach.

B) If its our pick and there isn't a worthy QB, or LT, we should be picking a player worthy of the pick that fills a need, and if we dont have that option, take the BPA.

X-Era
09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Depending on who comes out, I'd say the draft is weak at the elite QB position as well.

If we're truly going to play to the strengths of the draft, then we should probably go with either WR or DE in the first round, OT or QB in the second round, and then OT or QB (whichever we didn't get in the 2nd) in the third round.

Most of these early assumptions are based on whether juniors declare. WR and QB both will benefit from a lot of juniors.

DesertFox24
09-24-2010, 09:51 AM
I agree we need a Tackle but I am not sure we need a LT. I think Bell has been playing pretty well.

That being said the only two tackles we have that I know will be on the roster next year are Bell and Wang. I think Meredith will be on the roster as well but we need another guy to come in and compete for the RT spot with Meredith and Wang, cut Green.

DesertFox24
09-24-2010, 09:52 AM

I agree we draft the wrong QB it will set our franchise back even further. There are also a bunch of developmental QBs I really like in this draft. Enderle, Dalton, Johnson, and I really like Foles but he is flying up draft boards.