PDA

View Full Version : Just for the record

X-Era
09-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Smart teams take what the draft brings them. They shouldn't reach. We know we need a franchise QB. But, if for example, we arent drafting #1 and Luck goes #1 and Mallett isn't worth the pick when were up, we shouldn't reach. Take a great player at another position. The same goes for any other need position.

It could easily work out for us and we get to draft a guy with franchise potential. But it may not. There's tons left to see still. We cant accurately predict who will be drafted where yet. We dont even know who will declare.

Some hate the Spiller pick, but I dont at all. Great value at where we took him IMO.

All I'm saying is be smart, not desperate. We all know we want that franchise guy, but dont reach.

RoscoeMagic
09-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Week 2 and we're talking about the draft. *Sigh* Life's tough as a Bills fan.

better days
09-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Smart teams take what the draft brings them. They shouldn't reach. We know we need a franchise QB. But, if for example, we arent drafting #1 and Luck goes #1 and Mallett isn't worth the pick when were up, we shouldn't reach. Take a great player at another position. The same goes for any other need position.

It could easily work out for us and we get to draft a guy with franchise potential. But it may not. There's tons left to see still. We cant accurately predict who will be drafted where yet. We dont even know who will declare.

Some hate the Spiller pick, but I dont at all. Great value at where we took him IMO.

All I'm saying is be smart, not desperate. We all know we want that franchise guy, but dont reach.

If the Bills think they need to go to the 1st pick to get a QB, they need to do whatever it takes to get there, even if it means giving up the entire draft ala Ditka to get there.

Slim
09-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Week 2 and we're talking about the draft. *Sigh* Life's tough as a Bills fan.

It's all we ever get to look forward to.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 03:09 PM

What value does Spiller bring to this team exactly?

By the time this team gets all the pieces it needs around him, his rookie contract will be done and he'll be on the first plane out of town to join a real team that can win.

We have holes all over the place, so instead of taking a player that fills a hole and need who is value where we picked...even Dez Bryant would have provided better value over Spiller based on need...we decide to take a guy who can provide what Reggie Bush does.

Especially when we already had two proven NFL capable RBs already on the roster.

Billz_fan
09-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Patriots next week in NE :laughter: What have we dropped ? 13 in a row in Foxboro ? :D

RoscoeMagic
09-19-2010, 03:10 PM
It's all we ever get to look forward to.

I look forward to every Sunday afternoon, my friend.

Billz_fan
09-19-2010, 03:12 PM
What value does Spiller bring to this team exactly?

By the time this team gets all the pieces it needs around him, his rookie contract will be done and he'll be on the first plane out of town to join a real team that can win.

We have holes all over the place, so instead of taking a player that fills a hole and need who is value where we picked...even Dez Bryant would have provided better value over Spiller based on need...we decide to take a guy who can provide what Reggie Bush does.

Especially when we already had two proven NFL capable RBs already on the roster.

Thank you !

He will be either gone or dead by the time this team gets the rest of it's holes filled and might actually contend. Especially when you throw in the fact that the Bills refuse to sign free agent talent.

Slim
09-19-2010, 03:13 PM
I look forward to every Sunday afternoon, my friend.

Excuse me, it's the only time we look forward to having hope.

better days
09-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Thank you !

He will be either gone or dead by the time this team gets the rest of it's holes filled and might actually contend. Especially when you throw in the fact that the Bills refuse to sign free agent talent.

Maybe that is the reason Chan is playing him very little......to save him for when it matters.

Billz_fan
09-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Ohh, draft a guy #1 and save him. Yeah I can believe we might just do that :laughter:

Ingtar33
09-19-2010, 03:19 PM
wait... so we wasted a 1st rounder on a guy who touches the ball 3 or 4 times a week?

didn't we mock out the fins for drafting Ginn... the punt catcher? Because right now Spiller has about as much relevance as Ginn did that year.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
wait... so we wasted a 1st rounder on a guy who touches the ball 3 or 4 times a week?

didn't we mock out the fins for drafting Ginn... the punt catcher? Because right now Spiller has about as much relevance as Ginn did that year.

I was overly optimistic on him 12 touches a week.

This is so sad.

Billz_fan
09-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Yes we did make fun of Miami for that. 100% correct. Im waiting for the customary presser remarks now. :laughter:

cpearl
09-19-2010, 03:29 PM
What makes you think we won't draft #1?

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't you mean "all we ever do is look forward?" What else do we as Bills fans have?

I'm just sick and tired of the front office trying to pull the "we know better than every other team in the league" draft picks.

Donahoe got LAMBASTED for taking McGahee meanwhile Nix is a genius for taking Spiller?

At this point, Spiller couldn't carry McGahee's jock.

Ingtar33
09-19-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm just sick and tired of the front office trying to pull the "we know better than every other team in the league" draft picks.

Donahoe got LAMBASTED for taking McGahee meanwhile Nix is a genius for taking Spiller?

At this point, Spiller couldn't carry McGahee's jock.

I was appalled when we took Spiller... i consoled myself with the thought "he might be as good as Chris Johnson.. maybe he's not Reggie Bush" yet... right now i WISH he was Reggie Bush. Even Reggie Bush had more impact 2 games into his rookie year.

RoscoeMagic
09-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Excuse me, it's the only time we look forward to having hope.

Not with these guys' draft record. Hope for what? More whining about passing up the next Ngata for Whitner or Oher for Maybin?

X-Era
09-19-2010, 04:18 PM
What makes you think we won't draft #1?

At this point I dont.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 04:18 PM

So the Chargers had Drew Brees and drafted Philip Rivers. It may not make sense in year one, but it may in the future.

Ingtar33
09-19-2010, 04:21 PM
At this point I dont.

knowing our luck our 1 win will be against the Browns, who will go 0-16, take the next Johnny Unitas... while we take the next Ryan Leaf.

This is the Buffalo Bills after all.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 04:22 PM
So the Chargers had Drew Brees and drafted Philip Rivers. It may not make sense in year one, but it may in the future.

The Chargers did not draft Rivers.

Drew Brees also, prior to that draft, was terrible.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
The Chargers did not draft Rivers.

Drew Brees also, prior to that draft, was terrible.

No, they traded Eli for him. Same thing. And no Brees wasnt.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 04:29 PM
knowing our luck our 1 win will be against the Browns, who will go 0-16, take the next Johnny Unitas... while we take the next Ryan Leaf.

This is the Buffalo Bills after all.I hope that doesn't happen, I really do. But, I wont claim Mallett's demeanor and size hasn't conjured thoughts of Leaf. I will be putting a lot on what teams think of his character. As I remember Leaf was much more raw as well... and a hot head. I haven't seen signs of Mallett being a hot head.

But lets assume we end up picking at 2, would you argue to give up what it will take to move to 1?

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 04:33 PM
No, they traded Eli for him. Same thing. And no Brees wasnt.

Oh he wasn't? :rofl:

2004 NFL Draft was when the Chargers took Eli and traded him for Rivers...

2003 Drew Brees stats...

2108 yards 5.9 average 11 TDs 15 INTs 67.9 rating.

Which was a regression of his almost equally poor rookie season

X-Era
09-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Oh he wasn't? :rofl:

2004 NFL Draft was when the Chargers took Eli and traded him for Rivers...

2003 Drew Brees stats...

2108 yards 5.9 average 11 TDs 15 INTs 67.9 rating.

Which was a regression of his almost equally poor rookie season

What happened in 04 when he started while Rivers held out?

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 04:39 PM
What happened in 04 when he started while Rivers held out?

I think I said prior to that draft Brees was terrible.

Which is why the Chargers went with a QB in Round 1.

If San Diego could have predicted Brees would have turned into what he is now, I guarantee you they would never have selected Eli Manning.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I think I said prior to that draft Brees was terrible.

Which is why the Chargers went with a QB in Round 1.

If San Diego could have predicted Brees would have turned into what he is now, I guarantee you they would never have selected Eli Manning.

I dont really care that much about Brees or Rivers to be honest. The Chargers were fortunate enough to have two good ones be on that team recently. And they had to make a decision on Brees with Rivers as the guy they drafted. I wish we were in that place. Thats a good decision to have to make. The Bills now have the luxury of moving a RB if they chose to add to the team. And lets not forget that Lynch is far from being issue free.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 04:48 PM
I dont really care that much about Brees or Rivers to be honest. The Chargers were fortunate enough to have two good ones be on that team recently. And they had to make a decision on Brees with Rivers as the guy they drafted. I wish we were in that place. Thats a good decision to have to make. The Bills now have the luxury of moving a RB if they chose to add to the team. And lets not forget that Lynch is far from being issue free.

Oh now you don't care?

Even though you tried to make a point with it in the first place. A point that was completely wrong. Whatever.

We won't even mention an average NFL QB, which is basically what Brees was when the Saints got him, has much more value than an average NFL RB.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Oh now you don't care?

Even though you tried to make a point with it in the first place. A point that was completely wrong. Whatever.

We won't even mention an average NFL QB, which is basically what Brees was when the Saints got him, has much more value than an average NFL RB.
Your right, the Chargers didn't have Drew Brees and Philip Rivers on the same team and end up having the luxury of choosing between two good QB's.

That was my point.

And no, it really isn't that important because we took the best player available which is what smart teams do. And it may give us the luxury of trading one to add to a position of need. That's a place where we would not be if we had done something else.

BTW, who, right now, would have been so much better a choice for us?

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Your right, the Chargers didn't have Drew Brees and Philip Rivers on the same team and end up having the luxury of choosing between two good QB's.

That was my point.

And no, it really isn't that important because we took the best player available which is what smart teams do. And it may give us the luxury of trading one to add to a position of need. That's a place where we would not be if we had done something else.

BTW, who, right now, would have been so much better a choice for us?

The point is, the Chargers only drafted Eli Manning because Drew Brees was terrible.

We drafted Spiller when we had two capable NFL RBs.

Donahoe took the best player available in Willis McGahee too. How'd that work out?

I'll stick with playmakers for the sake of fun...Dez Bryant.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 05:30 PM
The point is, the Chargers only drafted Eli Manning because Drew Brees was terrible.

We drafted Spiller when we had two capable NFL RBs.

Donahoe took the best player available in Willis McGahee too. How'd that work out?

I'll stick with playmakers for the sake of fun...Dez Bryant.

We were able to trade McGahee for picks. That's better than being stuck with him.

Bryant hasn't done anything other than that TD return yet. It will take at least a year before we can say Bryant was a better pick. And had we drafted Bryant, and started him as our #2, he would get no yards like all of our WR's right now... And would you be sitting here quietly in that situation?

I liked Bryant and would have been happy with that pick too.

We know what we need, we know what our #1 priority is. Will we address it this offseason? I hope so.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 05:34 PM
We were able to trade McGahee for picks. That's better than being stuck with him.

Bryant hasn't done anything other than that TD return yet. It will take at least a year before we can say Bryant was a better pick. And had we drafted Bryant, and started him as our #2, he would get no yards like all of our WR's right now... And would you be sitting here quietly in that situation?

I liked Bryant and would have been happy with that pick too.

We know what we need, we know what our #1 priority is. Will we address it this offseason? I hope so.

Bryant was more of a priority than Spiller for this franchise moving forward, I'm sure we'd both agree on that. If you wanted to stick with playmaker as the pick, he was the far better choice.

We need a whole lot, Spiller filled zero needs, outside of playmaker but at his position there's a logjam.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Bryant was more of a priority than Spiller for this franchise moving forward, I'm sure we'd both agree on that. If you wanted to stick with playmaker as the pick, he was the far better choice.

We need a whole lot, Spiller filled zero needs, outside of playmaker but at his position there's a logjam.

I can understand your frustration. Personally I'm happy to have Spiller... I think were years away and a lot can happen in years.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I can understand your frustration. Personally I'm happy to have Spiller... I think were years away and a lot can happen in years.

Hence my choice for a guy who could become a legitimate number 1 WR in 2 to 3 years especially if he got a competent NFL QB to throw him the ball.

Hell, Eric Metcalf was fun to watch too, but a stupid pick by the Browns back in 1989. Which is about the best I think one can expect Spiller to turn into.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Oh, and by the way: Brees has a Super Bowl ring. Rivers does not.

teedizz
09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
If the Bills aren't even willing to dish out one of our backs then picking Spiller made no sense at all.

Bmax
09-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Not surprised by any of the comments by most about Spiller... People are just so impatient when it comes to anything ...Two games in and the Spiller pick is a bust if i am to believe what most of you are posting...

When the question is asked who they would have taken instead no one can come up with anything good.. For the record Anthony Davis was the only pick worthy at nine for me....And the knock on him was his immaturity...

The problem was the Bills should have dealt Lynch before the draft or right after. A 3rd or 4th would have been ok with me...If dealt then we have two guys to use then no one would have an argument at all...

I can't see Spiller just getting limited carries for the rest of the year...I think this week was an exception...Look for Jackson to get more as the season rolls on...

The Bills biggest error was not getting the line help via Free agency if you getting a RB in rd one better get some help up front to clear a path...

Bmax

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Not surprised by any of the comments by most about Spiller... People are just so impatient when it comes to anything ...Two games in and the Spiller pick is a bust if i am to believe what most of you are posting...

When the question is asked who they would have taken instead no one can come up with anything good.. For the record Anthony Davis was the only pick worthy at nine for me....And the knock on him was his immaturity...

The problem was the Bills should have dealt Lynch before the draft or right after. A 3rd or 4th would have been ok with me...If dealt then we have two guys to use then no one would have an argument at all...

I can't see Spiller just getting limited carries for the rest of the year...I think this week was an exception...Look for Jackson to get more as the season rolls on...

The Bills biggest error was not getting the line help via Free agency if you getting a RB in rd one better get some help up front to clear a path...

Bmax

Already answered your question that no one can come up with anything good...Dez Bryant.

Fills not only the playmaker role but number 2 WR for now with possibility of maturing into a solid number 1.

malo
09-19-2010, 10:49 PM

that's a luxury for teams with a solid foundation. this team has no foundation whatsoever.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-20-2010, 07:01 AM
When the question is asked who they would have taken instead no one can come up with anything good.. For the record Anthony Davis was the only pick worthy at nine for me...
Bryan Bulaga, who happens to be on the same Packers team that whipped the Bills' endsides yesterday. I still stand by that choice.

DraftBoy
09-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Im happy with Spiller, he's averaging the almost exact amount of touches I said I thought he would average per game through two games.

I wish he got a few more carries yesterday but I dont trust this coaching staff to know how to properly use him so Im not opposed to saving his legs for a better staff.