PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to be Cheerful?

Buddo
09-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Not very many.
O-Line showed that it can run block, to an extent.
It has to be said they were against a D that was missing at least one of it's starting tackles.
Lynch and Jackson showed they can still run well, perhaps contrary to popular belief.
The Defense isn't as bad as advertised, but with the distinct lack of a pass rush, is pretty much just another version of 'prevent'.
They need the opposing QB to make the odd misjudgement to be successful. Rodgers didn't.
Mostly a decent job of stopping the run this week, although they weren't seriously challenged by the quality of the runners coming at them.

After that, it was pretty much abysmal.

The O-Line was simply inept at pass blocking.
Once again, the pressure came from too many areas, although it did seem as though Bell did quite well.
The much vaunted interior of our line, was pretty poor.
Matthews waltzed by Hangman for his first sack.
There was consistent pressure from the RHS, and the pocket looked in danger of collapsing on a regular basis.

Receivers need to catch the football, and then hang on to it fcol. Johnson's drop was very poor. Parrish's was good play by the db, but he was already losing control of it, which lead to the strip.

Edwards was guilty of a couple of bad decisions, but I simply don't believe we would do much better with anyone else out there, as the protection is piss poor. We also don't have any other receiver than Evans, who anyone is worried about. I think Nelson needs to be out there now, instead of Johnson, as his extra height may make a difference.
FWIW, there was also a sighting of a TE, but it was very late in the game. We would probably be better served using an extra lineman instead of a TE.

Today's performance was pretty woeful.
We need a solution to the O-Line, and fast.
While I think Edwards can still be a 'serviceable' QB in the league, he is never going to be a 'franchise' QB.
We need a good OT, about as immediately as could be, but I don't know if we should spend the pick(s) to get one, as we will also need a QB next year, and I don't want any sort of 'project', I want the 'sure-fire' first rounder.