PDA

View Full Version : Optimism...

topher180
09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
...is not the same as the denial some of you are in. At the end of the day, you are a consumer as much as you are a fan. The Bills will never make the playoffs as long as Ralph Wilson owns this team. Come to grips with it, and detacth youself emotionally. It'd doesn't make you less of a fan, it just makes you a little brighter than those who do not.

Again, would you keep buying the same take out if it tasted like ****? Would you buy the same make and model car if the last one you had broke down every month?

No one is impressed by you and your lofty statements about how big a fan you are, and this "don't let the door hit ya" attitude. Get a life, take it for what it is, and realize it's just a game.

thejosh213
09-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Starting to see it that way

malo
09-19-2010, 08:42 PM
you're right. it's like a battered housewife. can't blame her for not sticking to her marriage vows.

better days
09-19-2010, 08:45 PM
There is a world of difference between take out or a car & a football team that you grew up loving. To say don't get emotionally attached is like telling your friend that has a cheating girlfriend to not be emotionally attached. That said, anyone that expected this year to play out any different is deluding themself.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 08:46 PM
There is a world of difference between take out or a car & a football team that you grew up loving. To say don't get emotionally attached is like telling your friend that has a cheating girlfriend to not be emotionally attached. That said, anyone that expected this year to play out any different is deluding themself.

What happened to just changing from Jauron to a new HC was gonna win us 3-4 more games a year?

That was a big theme this offseason and into/through preseason.

better days
09-19-2010, 08:53 PM
What happened to just changing from Jauron to a new HC was gonna win us 3-4 more games a year?

That was a big theme this offseason and into/through preseason.

We will find out soon what is going on. The Bills played two tough teams. There were some good signs, the defense played pretty well considering.

If Chan keeps Trent at QB it can only be because they have decided to try for the best draft pick next year. In that case I still think the Bills will win 2 or 3 games. If he finally sits Trent they should win about 6 games IMO.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
We will find out soon what is going on. The Bills played two tough teams. There were some good signs, the defense played pretty well considering.

If Chan keeps Trent at QB it can only be because they have decided to try for the best draft pick next year. In that case I still think the Bills will win 2 or 3 games. If he finally sits Trent they should win about 6 games IMO.

If you think giving up 34 points is playing well your standards are very low.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 08:59 PM

As sad as it is, I will feel like starting someone at QB who gets us 6 wins is sabotaging the team.

If your rebuilding and your at the bottom, accept a horrible season and use the draft.

chernobylwraiths
09-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Plenty of room on the Jets bandwagon. Go get on.

chernobylwraiths
09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
As sad as it is, I will feel like starting someone at QB who gets us 6 wins is sabotaging the team.

If your rebuilding and your at the bottom, accept a horrible season and use the draft.

:up:

X-Era
09-19-2010, 09:01 PM
:up:

Hey, nice meeting you by the way.

chernobylwraiths
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey, nice meeting you by the way.

You as well.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM

I only hope that when we see the light after gaining a franchise QB we will spend a little money and round out the team. Not as much as the Jets but significantly more than we usually do.

chernobylwraiths
09-19-2010, 09:11 PM
I only hope that when we see the light after gaining a franchise QB we will spend a little money and round out the team. Not as much as the Jets but significantly more than we usually do.

I only hope that the team stays in Buffalo. If that happens, I think the other things will work themselves out eventually.

As with being splashy with free agents and such, we did that under Donahoe and that didn't get us anywhere. He seemed to be good at getting good coordinators in here, unfortunately they were our head coaches.

better days
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM

The game was played in Green Bay. A defense can only do so much, I did not expect them to put a goose egg on the Pack, but yeah my standards are low for the year.

The 1st quarter the defense held them to 6 points when they could easily have given up 14, that is what I am talking about. Signs of good things to come.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 09:16 PM
The game was played in Green Bay. A defense can only do so much, I did not expect them to put a goose egg on the Pack, but yeah my standards are low for the year.

The 1st quarter the defense held them to 6 points when they could easily have given up 14, that is what I am talking about. Signs of good things to come.

Oh well, we held them to 34 instead of 42...there's something to be happy about!

Once you put it in those terms I understand completely.

What will your definition of positive be this week? Holding Brady and the Pats under 40?

better days
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh well, we held them to 34 instead of 42...there's something to be happy about!

Once you put it in those terms I understand completely.

What will your definition of positive be this week? Holding Brady and the Pats under 40?

If Chan kicks Trent to the curb, that would be positive. If Trent plays, I will watch the Bucs at 1PM & watch the Bills at 4PM. That way I can fast forward when the Bills are on offense, that should be a positive for me.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
If Chan kicks Trent to the curb, that would be positive. If Trent plays, I will watch the Bucs at 1PM & watch the Bills at 4PM. That way I can fast forward when the Bills are on offense, that should be a positive for me.

As if the defense is any better. :rofl:

better days
09-19-2010, 09:28 PM
As if the defense is any better. :rofl:

The defense is watchable. It is only after their tongues are hanging out from being on the field so long that they fall apart.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 09:34 PM
The defense is watchable. It is only after their tongues are hanging out from being on the field so long that they fall apart.

You really think that don't you? It makes you feel better about just how crappy this defense really is doesn't it?

To disprove your "tongues are hanging out from being on the field so long" theory, the Bills had the ball for 29:04 and the Packers, obviously, 30:56. Basically 50/50 but good try on that one!

Or how about the Packers taking their opening 2nd half drive for a TD in just over 4 minutes? Was the defense tired from sitting in the locker room for half time plus the first two minutes of the second half?

better days
09-19-2010, 09:42 PM
You really think that don't you? It makes you feel better about just how crappy this defense really is doesn't it?

To disprove your "tongues are hanging out from being on the field so long" theory, the Bills had the ball for 29:04 and the Packers, obviously, 30:56. Basically 50/50 but good try on that one!

Or how about the Packers taking their opening 2nd half drive for a TD in just over 4 minutes? Was the defense tired from sitting in the locker room for half time plus the first two minutes of the second half?

I already said they were playing against a good team. Rodgers is not Trent Edwards, he & the Pack will put up points on EVERY team they play.

I will be surprised if todays game is the Packs high water mark for points this year.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I already said they were playing against a good team. Rodgers is not Trent Edwards, he & the Pack will put up points on EVERY team they play.

I will be surprised if todays game is the Packs high water mark for points this year.

And I highly doubt 34 points given up will be our high water mark either.

Good to see though when I disprove your point you try something different to console yourself...oh well we held them to 34 and they'll score more against another team so we did good...is basically your point now.

better days
09-19-2010, 10:04 PM

Good to see though when I disprove your point you try something different to console yourself...oh well we held them to 34 and they'll score more against another team so we did good...is basically your point now.

Look at my sig... better days. I am an optimistic person by nature, that is why I am still alive. When I was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer, the Dr said if I agreed to treatment I had a 35% chance to be alive in 90 days, left untreated 0% chance.

That was over 2 years ago, my Dr. is amazed I am still alive. If I were a pesimist, I would be looking at the daisies from the bottom as my Dr says, because I would not have put myself through that ordeal.

So yeah, I will look for the bright spots on the team.

topher180
09-19-2010, 10:19 PM

I grew up loving Legos and Transformers, but I don't play with them anymore.

I'm not saying that you, I, or anyone can just shut it off like a light switch. I'm saying that we need to accept what's going on, and saying that it might be a good idea to slowly detach emotionally for our collective sanity.

Above all else I am saying that we all deserve better and that some of the attitudes around here are implicitly justifying the crap we've been subjected to since the 90s.

topher180
09-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Ah, just in time. You win for predictable reaction of the year, congrats. You don't have anything to add though. You would just rather stay in denial.

Now go ahead, reply, beat on your chest and tell me how wrong I am dum dum.

better days
09-19-2010, 10:31 PM
I grew up loving Legos and Transformers, but I don't play with them anymore.

I'm not saying that you, I, or anyone can just shut it off like a light switch. I'm saying that we need to accept what's going on, and saying that it might be a good idea to slowly detach emotionally for our collective sanity.

Above all else I am saying that we all deserve better and that some of the attitudes around here are implicitly justifying the crap we've been subjected to since the 90s.

Again though, leggos & transformers although cool are only things. We have a relationship with this team like we have with our friends & loved ones. We make each other mad as hell at times, but we still love & support each other.

I think we are all pretty pizzed at the Bills at this point but no true fan can leave the relationship they have with the Bills. JMO

Beebe's Kid
09-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Again though, leggos & transformers although cool are only things. We have a relationship with this team like we have with our friends & loved ones. We make each other mad as hell at times, but we still love & support each other.

I think we are all pretty pizzed at the Bills at this point but no true fan can leave the relationship they have with the Bills. JMO

Your exactly right...That would be the kind of attitude that pulled you through your real life tragedy. The people that come here and talk about the Bills like the world is ending would have been the ones to roll over and play dead.

The don't have a hair in their ass to stand by somebody/something when it isn't easy.

Really, to come in here and take shots, and "prove" your opinion, is kind of like beating up a quadriplegic. Really cool is your ****head, but not really an option for people with a soul.

This place is usually kept pretty troll free, but once the regular season starts it takes a while to filter them out again, huh? Til the the ignore feature works well, and it is almost like reading a real conversation when all their "expert analysis" is filtered out.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-20-2010, 06:59 AM

OK, you are creeping me out. This is a football team. Why is it any more special than, say, UB? Your local high school team? Heck, the street team down on the other side of town?

The fact is, it's not. Other than the fact that a bunch of millionaires, practically employees of the television networks, play the game. That's worth your love and support? Get your darn priorities straight.

better days
09-20-2010, 07:48 AM
OK, you are creeping me out. This is a football team. Why is it any more special than, say, UB? Your local high school team? Heck, the street team down on the other side of town?

The fact is, it's not. Other than the fact that a bunch of millionaires, practically employees of the television networks, play the game. That's worth your love and support? Get your darn priorities straight.

It is no different than your H.S. or College team. I never said it was. I said it was different than an inanimate object.

Jan Reimers
09-20-2010, 08:01 AM
I never thought there would be so much criticism of the positive, optimistic fans on here. We know as well as anyone that the Bills are, and have been, a very bad team.

But because we don't continually dwell on the negative, and sometimes see a few good things going on, we're treated as if we're morons.

Note: A positive, hopeful attitude doesn't mean we're stupid.

Historian
09-20-2010, 08:29 AM
The team is tied so closely to the area's identity, that's why we have a special relationship with it, much like GB and Cleveland. (and at one time, the Baltimore Colts)

Odd that we're never mentioned with those storied franchises though.

Stewie
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM

ther'es no way they allow 34 points if they had a competent offense

MikeInRoch
09-20-2010, 09:41 AM
No, next week will be higher. The Pats will hang at least 40 on us.