PDA

View Full Version : My plan to fix the team

dannyek71
09-20-2010, 11:18 AM
1) Trade Evans

I know this will anger alot of people, but now is the time to do it. The guy is a decent receiver. We could probably get a 2nd for him right now. Miami traded away Chambers to SD, we should trade Evans to a contender for one as well.

2) If we can get a 4th, trade Marshawn. The guy can play and is still young. Keep him if we cannot get good value.

3) Play the young guys. Kelsey is learning a new position, but shouldn't be around in subsequent years. Yea, Maybin sucks, but play him. Atleast see what he can do (probably suck), but we will atleast know to dump him next year.

4) Leave Trent in. He isn't the answer, but let him get killed. We all know Fitzy isn't the long term solution, but neither is Brohm. If Brohm was, GB wouldn't have let him go after 1 year, and he would have beat out the craptacular Fitzy and TE for the starting job. Regardless, TE will be hurt soon anyways RF and BB will be playing anyways.

Off season

1) Forget drafting these projects and "tweeners"

We all know the players we passed up for Maybin, CJ etc...Let's start going for solid picks. Guys who can play and may not be super stars, but will be good, productive players for years go come

2) Stop chasing the tail of other teams

in 2006 we drafted Whitner because SS's were all the rage the year before. (See Palimalu). We wanted to copy Pitt and the rest of league.

2008 CBs were all the rage, we wanted "lockdown" corners like other teams had. We went after McKelvin.

In 2010, we looked at guys like Chris Johnson, and Percy Harvin and saw how they helped teams last year. We wanted someone similar. So we went after Spiller. We forgot about the basic building blocks those guys already have. The line. Which leads me into my next point

3) Remember KISS while drafting (Keep it simple stupid)

Yea, this team has alot of wants and positions guys COULD be good at. However, NOBODY in their right might could argue last year that we didn't need a QB or tackles. Those were glaring needs. However, you cannot tell me that there wasn't a T (or even OL) in the 1st 4 rounds that weren't worth taking at any slots we had available? Who would you rather have now, a 2nd rounder starting at RT, or a 2nd rounder backing up Kyle Williams? Now I am not saying Troup/Carrington are busts or anything, but it was nice to have a few backup DL, but we NEEDED an OL.

gonzo1105
09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I do agree that we should trade Evans and Lynch if we can get any type of value for them. Its not like Evans or Lynch are going to be key cornerstones of our future and we should be able to get two high draft picks and maybe some lower picks as well. We are in full rebuilding, might as well get its fully started.

The King
09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree with most of this...

Trade Lee... One he's not going to be on this team when we finally figure it out... so might as well get something to help build it. Also that would be a huge service to him.

I am indifferent with who we play at QB. I really makes no difference.

I do not want to see this team make any drastic temporary moves like trading for a Thigpen or another player who doesnt factor in to the rebuilding process. If you have a chance at a gamebreaker you take it... but these little upgrades only hurt us in the long run.

Detroit is a great team to look at right now... they're putting all the pieces in place.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
1) Trade Evans

I know this will anger alot of people, but now is the time to do it. The guy is a decent receiver. We could probably get a 2nd for him right now. Miami traded away Chambers to SD, we should trade Evans to a contender for one as well.

2) If we can get a 4th, trade Marshawn. The guy can play and is still young. Keep him if we cannot get good value.

3) Play the young guys. Kelsey is learning a new position, but shouldn't be around in subsequent years. Yea, Maybin sucks, but play him. Atleast see what he can do (probably suck), but we will atleast know to dump him next year.

4) Leave Trent in. He isn't the answer, but let him get killed. We all know Fitzy isn't the long term solution, but neither is Brohm. If Brohm was, GB wouldn't have let him go after 1 year, and he would have beat out the craptacular Fitzy and TE for the starting job. Regardless, TE will be hurt soon anyways RF and BB will be playing anyways.

Off season

1) Forget drafting these projects and "tweeners"

We all know the players we passed up for Maybin, CJ etc...Let's start going for solid picks. Guys who can play and may not be super stars, but will be good, productive players for years go come

2) Stop chasing the tail of other teams

in 2006 we drafted Whitner because SS's were all the rage the year before. (See Palimalu). We wanted to copy Pitt and the rest of league.

2008 CBs were all the rage, we wanted "lockdown" corners like other teams had. We went after McKelvin.

In 2010, we looked at guys like Chris Johnson, and Percy Harvin and saw how they helped teams last year. We wanted someone similar. So we went after Spiller. We forgot about the basic building blocks those guys already have. The line. Which leads me into my next point

3) Remember KISS while drafting (Keep it simple stupid)

1. Who in the hell is trading for a 9 million dollar WR that on a good team would be at best the 3rd option in the offense?

2. Agreed. Marshawn shoulda been traded on draft day for the 3rd that was reported as the offer.

3. Why the hell is Carrington not even dressing on Sundays? Again, completely agree. Get all those players out there. We suck, we know it. Get some of these guys some game experience and learn while we're going nowhere.

4. Play Roscoe Parrish at QB. Install an offense around a running QB. Or sign DJ Shockley. Next season, go sign Vick. That way you already have an offense installed around a QB who makes plays with his legs.

On the draft...

Just stop the "we're gonna prove that we're smarter than the rest of the league" mentality. It's gotten us nowhere and a bunch of useless picks.

mightysimi
09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Although I am not opposed to trades, I believe that if you have good players, why trade them for someone who might be good. Or a total bust or injured etc. What we have now is an asset but we would be giving it away for a maybe. So Lee won't be around when we get it together, how about if we have a rookie QB, does not having a good WR make sense? Or get a 2nd or 3rd round pick to maybe get a guy that might develop. Of course there will always be a time when trading outways keeping, but I don't think that is now.

Commissioner
09-20-2010, 11:53 AM
I would trade Lynch and Evans for lineman or draft picks.

Draft a QB #1 overall and pray that we don't miss on that pick.

It's starts in the trenches and this organization needs to figure out how to fix these lines. The offensive line can't block at all... and the defensive line can't get any pressure at all.

better days
09-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I do agree that we should trade Evans and Lynch if we can get any type of value for them. Its not like Evans or Lynch are going to be key cornerstones of our future and we should be able to get two high draft picks and maybe some lower picks as well. We are in full rebuilding, might as well get its fully started.

I agree VALUE is the key. No point in giving anyone away. Lynch will bring a 3rd rnd comp pick if he goes in free agency in 2012. Why trade him for less than a 2nd?

ServoBillieves
09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Sign a proven LT and RT, Sign a new QB, Sign another WR, sign a TE, sign someone who knows how to cover the ****ing flat, sign big body LB's, start McKelvin over Florence, start Scott over Whitner.

On 3rd and long, don't throw it short, take a shot downfield, and stop being predictable. There, that should fix us.

Bangarang
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Sign a proven LT and RT, Sign a new QB, Sign another WR, sign a TE, sign someone who knows how to cover the ****ing flat, sign big body LB's, start McKelvin over Florence, start Scott over Whitner.

On 3rd and long, don't throw it short, take a shot downfield, and stop being predictable. There, that should fix us.

co-signed

Ebenezer
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't disagree. I was saying last winter to trade anything of value and start over.

ddaryl
09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
We need to put Brohm or Fitz in at QB just to see if we can get the ball to any of our receivers.

Otherwise our WR's and TE's will never gain the experience your clammoring for.

bigbub2352
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Add fire Modrak to that list..and cut the following players:
Chris kelsay
Marcus Stroud
Spencer Johnson
Keith Ellison
Cornell Green
Geof Hangartner
Aaron Maybin
John McCargo
Donte Whitner