PDA

View Full Version : Question about a couple rookies

Pinkerton Security
09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
1) Why is Carrington inactive? I understand we have Stroud and Dwan at the ends with Spencer Johnson backing them up, but i thought Carrington was supposedly impressive in camps? I kinda wanted to see what he had to offer, he cant be any worse than Johnson, and I havent seen much out of Edwards either.

2) I havent seen much from Troup...the only time I've seen anything from him was the play in which they illustrated that there was a hole straight up the middle about 5 yards wide...he took one mis-step and then got just blown backwards! I thought he was supposed to be a prototypical NT who held his ground so well? I am probably not giving him a fair shake but I was surprised to see him being handled so easily by one guy on an average GB O-line.

3) Why only give Spiller 1 carry? I mean I know he struggled a little bit but once again, Gailey seemed to just kindof be grasping at straws. I suppose his plan was to just use Spiller as our 3rd down RB, but I dont like that either. Gotta get the kid the ball some more in good spots to get his confidence up. He showed some speed and slippery-ness on a couple kick returns, so Gailey needs to live up to his offensive reputation and find a way to utilize this kid more.

EDS
09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
1) Why is Carrington inactive? I understand we have Stroud and Dwan at the ends with Spencer Johnson backing them up, but i thought Carrington was supposedly impressive in camps? I kinda wanted to see what he had to offer, he cant be any worse than Johnson, and I havent seen much out of Edwards either.

2) I havent seen much from Troup...the only time I've seen anything from him was the play in which they illustrated that there was a hole straight up the middle about 5 yards wide...he took one mis-step and then got just blown backwards! I thought he was supposed to be a prototypical NT who held his ground so well? I am probably not giving him a fair shake but I was surprised to see him being handled so easily by one guy on an average GB O-line.

3) Why only give Spiller 1 carry? I mean I know he struggled a little bit but once again, Gailey seemed to just kindof be grasping at straws. I suppose his plan was to just use Spiller as our 3rd down RB, but I dont like that either. Gotta get the kid the ball some more in good spots to get his confidence up. He showed some speed and slippery-ness on a couple kick returns, so Gailey needs to live up to his offensive reputation and find a way to utilize this kid more.

Buddy Nix had a senior moment on draft day?

In all seriousness, I kind of expected Carrington and Troup to be brought along slowly, but why Spiller is not getting any carrys is a mystery. Does he just not know the play book? Running back should be one of the easiest positions for a rookie to make the transition from college to pro - based on the legion of rookie backs that have excelled over the years - so you would think it would not take long to get him up to speed despite the holdout.

ServoBillieves
09-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Answer: Gailey still thinks he's a college coach?

Bangarang
09-20-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm baffled as to why Spiller is being used the way he is. Granted, he didn't impress in his first outing as an NFL player but give the kid a chance. Let him get into a rhythm on the field and prove his worth. Now, I know it will be difficult for him to put on a clinic given how bad our O-line is but c'mon. Relegating him to kick off returns and certain 3rd down situations is pretty frustrating.

Ingtar33
09-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Apparently, the coaching staff believes, right now Spiller isn't as good a RB as Lynch or Jackson...

which begs the question... why the f*** did we draft him?

djjimkelly
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Apparently, the coaching staff believes, right now Spiller isn't as good a RB as Lynch or Jackson...

lynch is the best rb on this roster.

however i do believe spiller will be good eventually if not in the next few weeks.

but this backfield is way to crowded IMO

djjimkelly
09-20-2010, 12:43 PM

and if we go back to draft day you can now understand why i was so mad at the pick. sure we took the best player available however there are no pieces in place to make any skill player successful.

football is and will always be played in the trenches!!!!!!!!!!!! we needed a big man

Jan Reimers
09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Since we're obviously going nowhere, I'd play every young guy on the roster. It would really help us with personnel decisions for next year.

OpIv37
09-20-2010, 12:50 PM

I asked that same question in another thread and got the "Lay off- it's only been two games" response.

I swear, some posters think every player on this team is going to be a Pro Bowler if we give them 27 years to develop.

Ingtar33
09-20-2010, 01:20 PM
I was furious on draft day with the Spiller pick

How did that pick make us better? In what way?

I pray i'm wrong but right now the stats don't seem to indicate i am. (BTW: this is not a knock on spiller, this is a knock on the bills front office and "wonderidiot" Nix and his band of morons in the front office)