PDA

View Full Version : Onside Kicks

The King
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
I think there were three or four of these attempted yesterday... the formations and kicking methods are insane... each one confused me more than the next.

Did anyone see any of these?

G Wolly
09-20-2010, 12:56 PM
The Titans kick was kind of unique I thought.

And they got a bounce off a Steeler to recover.

Prov401
09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Yea, the Titans was one I've never seen before. They changed total direction mid kick... Pretty cool.

stuckincincy
09-20-2010, 01:10 PM
I think there were three or four of these attempted yesterday... the formations and kicking methods are insane... each one confused me more than the next.

Did anyone see any of these?

I didn't see any of them. But the rules changed last year - you can't "bunch " more than five players to one side (?). It's a 5 yard penalty.

I'm not sure how that is interpreted...judgment call, I guess.

IIRC, this year, if an onside kick is penalized, you then have to kick off in the normal fashion - no 2nd bite at the apple, so to speak.

Which strikes me as wrong - takes away from a team trying to claw back.

Ingtar33
09-20-2010, 01:15 PM
I didn't see any of them. But the rules changed last year - you can't "bunch " more than five players to one side (?). It's a 5 yard penalty.

I'm not sure how that is interpreted...judgment call, I guess.

IIRC, this year, if an onside kick is penalized, you then have to kick off in the normal fashion - no 2nd bite at the apple, so to speak.

Which strikes me as wrong - takes away from a team trying to claw back.

YEP. The league limitted how many people could line up on each side of the ball on a kickoff. (no more then 6 i think to a side) this was to cut down on the posibilities of injuries.

Beebe's Kid
09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
YEP. The league limitted how many people could line up on each side of the ball on a kickoff. (no more then 6 i think to a side) this was to cut down on the posibilities of injuries.

Another way to cut down injuries would be to reduce the amount of juiced up wild ****ing animals that are running at each other at unnatural speeds, and smashing into each other with the force of an auto accident.

This is the same argument I have for concussed QB's, but the league feeds of the gladiator thing, and people love big hits, so that isn't a possibility.

Forward_Lateral
09-20-2010, 02:01 PM
I saw Detroit's successful onside kick. The WR for Philly should be cut for that.