• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Onside Kicks

I think there were three or four of these attempted yesterday... the formations and kicking methods are insane... each one confused me more than the next.

Did anyone see any of these?
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• G Wolly
    • Mar 2004

Re: Onside Kicks

The Titans kick was kind of unique I thought.

And they got a bounce off a Steeler to recover.

Comment

• Prov401
      President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
      • Aug 2008

Yea, the Titans was one I've never seen before. They changed total direction mid kick... Pretty cool.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by King Bedard
        I think there were three or four of these attempted yesterday... the formations and kicking methods are insane... each one confused me more than the next.

Did anyone see any of these?
        I didn't see any of them. But the rules changed last year - you can't "bunch " more than five players to one side (?). It's a 5 yard penalty.

I'm not sure how that is interpreted...judgment call, I guess.

IIRC, this year, if an onside kick is penalized, you then have to kick off in the normal fashion - no 2nd bite at the apple, so to speak.

Which strikes me as wrong - takes away from a team trying to claw back.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy
          I didn't see any of them. But the rules changed last year - you can't "bunch " more than five players to one side (?). It's a 5 yard penalty.

I'm not sure how that is interpreted...judgment call, I guess.

IIRC, this year, if an onside kick is penalized, you then have to kick off in the normal fashion - no 2nd bite at the apple, so to speak.

Which strikes me as wrong - takes away from a team trying to claw back.

YEP. The league limitted how many people could line up on each side of the ball on a kickoff. (no more then 6 i think to a side) this was to cut down on the posibilities of injuries.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ingtar33
            YEP. The league limitted how many people could line up on each side of the ball on a kickoff. (no more then 6 i think to a side) this was to cut down on the posibilities of injuries.
            Another way to cut down injuries would be to reduce the amount of juiced up wild ****ing animals that are running at each other at unnatural speeds, and smashing into each other with the force of an auto accident.

This is the same argument I have for concussed QB's, but the league feeds of the gladiator thing, and people love big hits, so that isn't a possibility.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

I saw Detroit's successful onside kick. The WR for Philly should be cut for that.

Comment

Working...
              X