PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather start Fitz or get the top draft pick?

X-Era
09-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I dont expect everyone to agree, and I can understand your excitement with this move. However, sometimes you simply need to tear the house down and rebuild it from the ground up. Fitz is a patch job on the cracked foundation. It simply buys you a few games maybe. But in the long term the foundation will continue to deteriorate. It must be rebuilt and the only way to do that (when you wont trade or sign a big name guy) is to get down to rock bottom.

Winning meaningless games with a patch job QB potentially hurts the franchise long term and may put the top pick out of reach.

Remember, next years draft will likely be signed under a new rookie cap.

BillyT92679
09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
well it's tough
I just hope both Mallett and Luck come out
I still think we'll be top five no matter what, the team is atrocious overall
but I just can't watch Edwards, I can't
I'd rather lose with dignity than pussy out all the time.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-20-2010, 05:17 PM
im all for the #1 pick
it would at least be something to be excited about
fitz is just going to winn a couple games for us and kill the top spot
just a bandaid on a sucking chest wound

Jan Reimers
09-20-2010, 05:22 PM
They are not mutually exclusive. Do people really think that Fitz will make any difference?

mrbojanglezs
09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
no coach will "intentionally" lose by putting a worse player out there.....until maybe your eliminated from playoffs

kingJofNYC
09-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Exactly, no guarantee that our offense will actually be functional with Fitz under center. Lets see who actually declares, because Locker really doesn't excite me.

Big test for Mallett this week going up against Bama.

OpIv37
09-20-2010, 05:26 PM
They are not mutually exclusive. Do people really think that Fitz will make any difference?
We agree, for the second time in a day. For once, we can have our cake and eat it too!!!

SabreEleven
09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't think he'll make a difference.

Jeff1220
09-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Like some of these other guys, my first thought when I saw this was that we're still very likely to see one of the top spots in the draft, no matter which Huey, Dewey, or Louie is behind center.

Beebe's Kid
09-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I dont expect everyone to agree, and I can understand your excitement with this move. However, sometimes you simply need to tear the house down and rebuild it from the ground up. Fitz is a patch job on the cracked foundation. It simply buys you a few games maybe. But in the long term the foundation will continue to deteriorate. It must be rebuilt and the only way to do that (when you wont trade or sign a big name guy) is to get down to rock bottom.

Winning meaningless games with a patch job QB potentially hurts the franchise long term and may put the top pick out of reach.

We'll run that past the guys that risk career ending injury every Sunday... I am sure they will agree. They probably agree.

We should also run it past any free agents that you feel we could have signed so easily.

"I know you guys worked hard, but we're rebuilding. This is going to take a few years. Your career could end on any snap, and we thank you for training all offseason...well your whole life, really, to get here. Let it be known that your efforts will not go unrecognized. We will give you a gift card for Denny's, and send a Xmas card every year. We just really feel we should take a flier on a college QB next year. The chances are 50/50, and two of the best guys might not come out, which maybe lowers the chances, but we are willing to take that chance. When your contracts are up, feel free to seek employment with another team, I am sure that you will get a huge contract, despite your not doing **** here, since we went in the tank.

Another quick disclaimer...many of you will be long gone from the league when/if this next QB develops, and we are going to need about $110 mill to sign him. This doesn't bode well for those of you that are making what we like to call "more than the league minimum." So...I would say watch out for pink slips, but our ability to sign free agents will be limited, both because we are going in the tank, and the scratch we have to pony up for the new kid.

Don't be discouraged that he will be 23 and making more in guaranteed money than you will ever see in your lifetime. This is for the greater good...of the players that will follow you here."

Wow.

THRILLHO
09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Never lose on purpose. EVER. You always play to win.

X-Era
09-20-2010, 05:41 PM

I thought about that third poll option. But with the Browns schedule, they could end up with 2 or even no wins. The Bills, with Fitz, may win 4 - 6 games. That could easily be out of the top spot and may even be 3rd worst overall.

X-Era
09-20-2010, 05:43 PM
We agree, for the second time in a day. For once, we can have our cake and eat it too!!!

Playing Fitz is eating cake? Its more like eating sugar coated dog **** instead of the straight raw stuff.

Beebe's Kid
09-20-2010, 05:44 PM

He made a difference last year.

Despite his ability to throw a football, an ability I tend to hold dear in my NFL QB's, he made watching the games fun again. We won some, almost won some other, against good teams, too, and I didn't feel the gut wrenching frustration that Edwards gave me.

I say gave, because yesterday, I was talking about going to NE next week...that was half time. The pain started in the 3rd, then went away, and I was numb.

X-Era
09-20-2010, 05:48 PM
We'll run that past the guys that risk career ending injury every Sunday... I am sure they will agree. They probably agree.

We should also run it past any free agents that you feel we could have signed so easily.

"I know you guys worked hard, but we're rebuilding. This is going to take a few years. Your career could end on any snap, and we thank you for training all offseason...well your whole life, really, to get here. Let it be known that your efforts will not go unrecognized. We will give you a gift card for Denny's, and send a Xmas card every year. We just really feel we should take a flier on a college QB next year. The chances are 50/50, and two of the best guys might not come out, which maybe lowers the chances, but we are willing to take that chance. When your contracts are up, feel free to seek employment with another team, I am sure that you will get a huge contract, despite your not doing **** here, since we went in the tank.

Another quick disclaimer...many of you will be long gone from the league when/if this next QB develops, and we are going to need about $110 mill to sign him. This doesn't bode well for those of you that are making what we like to call "more than the league minimum." So...I would say watch out for pink slips, but our ability to sign free agents will be limited, both because we are going in the tank, and the scratch we have to pony up for the new kid.

Don't be discouraged that he will be 23 and making more in guaranteed money than you will ever see in your lifetime. This is for the greater good...of the players that will follow you here."

Wow.
Motivational.

But these players play to win the SB, not to win 4 games instead of 1. If they believed adding a young franchise QB starts them down the road of forming a playoff team? Yeah, I think they would look forward to that.

Besides, you assume they dont give less on the field knowing its wasted on a non-playoff squad.

And, if you ever want to make the playoffs again, we better show that we are headed in the right direction or they will either leave or never choose to come at all.

No, this is a perpetually mediocre team. They may just need to stink up the joint to get better.

Jan Reimers
09-20-2010, 05:53 PM
He made a difference last year.

Despite his ability to throw a football, an ability I tend to hold dear in my NFL QB's, he made watching the games fun again. We won some, almost won some other, against good teams, too, and I didn't feel the gut wrenching frustration that Edwards gave me.

I say gave, because yesterday, I was talking about going to NE next week...that was half time. The pain started in the 3rd, then went away, and I was numb.
Oh, I like Fitz at QB much better than Trent, if only because he's not afraid of his shadow out there, and will pitch it down the field and try to make things happen.

I'm not sure if he can make much happen with this team, however. He may just make losing a little more interesting.

X-Era
09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
BTW, yes this does seem fundamentally wrong to me. But how much longer will we keep stinking up the joint without getting a franchise QB? I didn't make our rules, but faced with them, this seems like our best chance to get good again.

elltrain22
09-20-2010, 06:12 PM
I think if we start Fitz, Brohm, or Edwards we're still gonna be the worst team in the league this year.

X-Era
09-20-2010, 06:14 PM
I think if we start Fitz, Brohm, or Edwards we're still gonna be the worst team in the league this year.

That could happen.

Bangarang
09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't think we would definitely need the #1 pick to obtain our franchise saving quarterback. Teams like the Lions and Rams already drafter theirs so the likelihood of them taking a Luck, Mallet, or Locker seems pretty unlikely. The Browns on the other hand desperately need a QB so I guess if we're going to be racing for a higher pick for a new QB, they'll be right beside us.

THRILLHO
09-20-2010, 06:25 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMk5sMHj58I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMk5sMHj58I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

X-Era
09-20-2010, 06:28 PM
<object height="385" width="480"></object>
:lol:

BertSquirtgum
09-20-2010, 08:00 PM
even with fitz we're still going to have the worst record in the nfl. so i say lets start brohm.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Who's to say we won't be the worst team in the league with Fitz or Brohm starting either?

Thief
09-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Why don't we start the one who seems to get better every time he plays? It couldn't hurt, right?

I vote Brian Brohm.

Beebe's Kid
09-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Motivational.

But these players play to win the SB, not to win 4 games instead of 1. If they believed adding a young franchise QB starts them down the road of forming a playoff team? Yeah, I think they would look forward to that.

Besides, you assume they dont give less on the field knowing its wasted on a non-playoff squad.

And, if you ever want to make the playoffs again, we better show that we are headed in the right direction or they will either leave or never choose to come at all.

No, this is a perpetually mediocre team. They may just need to stink up the joint to get better.
You're right. I hope we hit a home run like Alex Smith.

We couldn't move on from Trent...what happens when the guy cost $120?

Oh, it wasn't motivational....seriously. Ask an NFL player that ridiculous question. Make sure you ask him any other questions first because that will be the last question you ask him.

baalworship
09-20-2010, 09:44 PM
I thought about that third poll option. But with the Browns schedule, they could end up with 2 or even no wins. The Bills, with Fitz, may win 4 - 6 games. That could easily be out of the top spot and may even be 3rd worst overall.

Where are you getting 6 wins? I was thinking 3-5 BEFORE the season but based on the team we are seeing I am realizing I was overly optimistic.

mysticsoto
09-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Let me ask you this, X-era...would you like the distinction of going down this season 0-16???

psubills62
09-20-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't think this is an either-or question. We could very well get the top draft pick even with Fitzpatrick starting.

topher180
09-20-2010, 10:12 PM

Wow.

Why don't you hurry up and make a point already? So you are saying that drafting a QB is a bad idea, and shortchanges the current roster? Yes or no. I mean seriously, we don't have time for your essay on sarcasm.

X-Era
09-21-2010, 05:33 AM
Let me ask you this, X-era...would you like the distinction of going down this season 0-16???

Like? Hell no.

I dont like the situation we are in. I simply feel that the most likely way for us to get a franchise QB which we desperately need is to draft one, and the ones who most look the part often go #1 overall.

Again, I didn't make the rules, the Bills FO did. Playing by there rules, getting a franchise QB again requires us to be picking very very high, maybe even #1.

X-Era
09-21-2010, 05:37 AM
You're right. I hope we hit a home run like Alex Smith.

We couldn't move on from Trent...what happens when the guy cost $120?

Oh, it wasn't motivational....seriously. Ask an NFL player that ridiculous question. Make sure you ask him any other questions first because that will be the last question you ask him.
I really dont think thats true at all. Its not ridiculous at all if you think about what it will take for this team to start getting better when they wont trade for a franchise QB or sign one (as if they ever are available).

You dont think someone like Evans would rather lose a few more games in a non-playoff season and get a guy who looks to be a franchise QB then continue to be under-used with no playoffs? He would rather have low career numbers, be perpetually mediocre or bad, and never go to the playoffs?

TacklingDummy
09-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Fitz isn't going to hurt the Bills chances at the #1 pick. Brohm will be starting by week 6.

ddaryl
09-21-2010, 08:23 AM
I really fail to see how Fitz will keep us from the top draft pick..

I'm not expecting Fitz to make this team that much better

NorthCarBills
09-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I voted for the 2nd choice. But -- I stated yesterday on another thread that I'd prefer to take the unknown with Brohm who we can at least find out more about. With Fitz you know the ceiling and it's not that high.

BillyT92679
09-21-2010, 09:21 AM
I don't think we would definitely need the #1 pick to obtain our franchise saving quarterback. Teams like the Lions and Rams already drafter theirs so the likelihood of them taking a Luck, Mallet, or Locker seems pretty unlikely. The Browns on the other hand desperately need a QB so I guess if we're going to be racing for a higher pick for a new QB, they'll be right beside us.
Since we lose to the Browns every year, they will have the tiebreaker!

Though I remember in 2001 being down to the Panthers 24-6, only to rally and beat them 25-24.. they got the third pick and got Julius Peppers, we got the 4th pick and got Mike Williams

Mahdi
09-21-2010, 09:24 AM

By keeping Trent in there we are stunting the growth of everyone else on offense. The receivers and TEs don't see passes and the RBs run into brick walls. The OL never gains any confidence or momentum.

Getting all these guys some quality experience and quality touches will prepare them better for a franchise QB wherever we get him.

The #1 overall pick is not necessarily where you will get the best QB in the draft. There is also a strong possibility that many of the teams in the top 10 won't take QBs anyways and even if they do this draft should have a few of them and I would rather get one later and have an offense more ready to help the QB out.

Sometimes when you are stuck with the #1 overall you are forced to choose a certain player. Baltmore and Green Bay were very happy to have Flacco and Rodgers fall to them.

Ingtar33
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM

you're assuming Fitz is good enough to win some games for the Bills.

I don't think he is.

It is probably a wash.

justasportsfan
09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I remember bills fans wanting us to suck so we could land Mike Williams during our 3-13 season. Be careful what you wish for.

X-Era
09-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I remember bills fans wanting us to suck so we could land Mike Williams during our 3-13 season. Be careful what you wish for.

That's true man. But with our method of building a team, we are left with virtually no other shot.

mysticsoto
09-21-2010, 10:32 PM

I was just going to say this...

Picking #1 doesn't necessarily mean we get what we want. Hell, look at the franchise QBs that have resulted from lower than top 3 picks: Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady...what difference does it make when we pick when it's out scouting dept that sucks! Nix might be decent, but I'm sure he gets alot of input from our scouts out in the field and they suck big time!!!

BADTHINGSMAN
09-21-2010, 10:40 PM
to me it doesnt matter. no matter 1st or 32nd pick, buffalo will find a way to f it up.

Mr. Pink
09-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Since we lose to the Browns every year, they will have the tiebreaker!

Though I remember in 2001 being down to the Panthers 24-6, only to rally and beat them 25-24.. they got the third pick and got Julius Peppers, we got the 4th pick and got Mike Williams

Draft tie-breaker is strength of schedule.

So basically if we end up tied as worst team in the league or 3rd worst or whatever, we better hope our schedule was easier.

X-Era
09-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Draft tie-breaker is strength of schedule.

So basically if we end up tied as worst team in the league or 3rd worst or whatever, we better hope our schedule was easier.
Their schedule is nasty. We might win that one. Of course we play them head to head. I wont be as unhappy if we lose that one too.

Clev remaining:

<table class="data-table1" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"><td class="">3</td> <td nowrap="true"> Sep 26</td> <td nowrap="true">CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) @ BAL (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=BAL) </td> <td>M&T Bank Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/baltimore-ravens?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>704 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 152 (CLV)
90 (BAL) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">4</td> <td nowrap="true"> Oct 03</td> <td nowrap="true">CIN (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CIN) @ CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) </td> <td>Cleveland Browns Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/cleveland-browns?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>705 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 113 (CIN)
130 (CLV) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">5</td> <td nowrap="true"> Oct 10</td> <td nowrap="true">ATL (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=ATL) @ CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) </td> <td>Cleveland Browns Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/cleveland-browns?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">FOX</td> <td>709 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 91 (ATL)
153 (CLV) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">6</td> <td nowrap="true"> Oct 17</td> <td nowrap="true">CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) @ PIT (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=PIT) </td> <td>Heinz Field</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/pittsburgh-steelers?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>707 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 121 (CLV)
147 (PIT) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">7</td> <td nowrap="true"> Oct 24</td> <td nowrap="true">CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) @ NO (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=NO) </td> <td>Superdome</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/new-orleans-saints?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>708 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 126 (CLV)
129 (NO) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td>8</td> <td>Bye</td> <td colspan="9">
</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">9</td> <td nowrap="true"> Nov 07</td> <td nowrap="true">NE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=NE) @ CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) </td> <td>Cleveland Browns Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/cleveland-browns?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>704 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 90 (NE)
127 (CLV) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">10</td> <td nowrap="true"> Nov 14</td> <td nowrap="true">NYJ (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=NYJ) @ CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) </td> <td>Cleveland Browns Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/cleveland-browns?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>705 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 90 (NYJ)
126 (CLV) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">11</td> <td nowrap="true"> Nov 21</td> <td nowrap="true">CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) @ JAC (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=JAX) </td> <td>EverBank Field</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/jacksonville-jaguars?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>707 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 158 (CLV)
113 (JAX) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">12</td> <td nowrap="true"> Nov 28</td> <td nowrap="true">CAR (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CAR) @ CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) </td> <td>Cleveland Browns Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/cleveland-browns?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">FOX</td> <td>709 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 90 (CAR)
129 (CLV) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">13</td> <td nowrap="true"> Dec 05</td> <td nowrap="true">CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) @ MIA (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=MIA) </td> <td>Sun Life Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/miami-dolphins?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>705 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 126 (CLV)
153 (MIA) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">14</td> <td nowrap="true"> Dec 12</td> <td nowrap="true">CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) @ BUF (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=BUF) </td> <td>Ralph Wilson Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/buffalo-bills?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>705 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 108 (CLV)
113 (BUF) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">15</td> <td nowrap="true"> Dec 19</td> <td nowrap="true">CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) @ CIN (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CIN) </td> <td>Paul Brown Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/cincinnati-bengals?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>707 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 91 (CLV)
130 (CIN) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">16</td> <td nowrap="true"> Dec 26</td> <td nowrap="true">BAL (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=BAL) @ CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) </td> <td>Cleveland Browns Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/cleveland-browns?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>706 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 152 (BAL)
90 (CLV) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr> <tr class="tbdy1 " valign="top"> <td class="">17</td> <td nowrap="true"> Jan 02</td> <td nowrap="true">PIT (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=PIT) @ CLE (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=CLV) </td> <td>Cleveland Browns Stadium</td> <td>1:00 PM </td> <td>Tickets (http://www.nfl.com/tickets/cleveland-browns?icampaign=Schedule_MidColHome_Tickets)</td> <td nowrap="true">CBS</td> <td>707 </td> <td nowrap="true"> 146 (PIT)
127 (CLV) </td> <td class=""> </td></tr></tbody></table>

Yasgur's Farm
09-22-2010, 06:04 AM

Wow.Nailed it!!

X-Era
09-22-2010, 06:31 AM

Wow.
What we say now:

"We know you risk your career to injury every time you take the field. We know you have been training all off-season. We know you want to win a Superbowl and thats why you play the game.

But, we also see what you see, that our QB's arent good enough to take us there. Rather than go through a single painful year in hopes that we can finally get the type of QB who can lead this team deep into the playoffs and hopefully beyond, we are content with finding the next Trent Edwards in a lower round, or signing the next Fitzpatrick to continue with our status quo approach to being perpetually mediocre. We know you want to win, but this is our recent past, present, and our future. So, you can expect us to run the ball by handing off the ball to one of our 3 starters on each play. We fully expect teams to stack the box and try to stop our run. But we feel if we can force running the ball, we wont need a reliable passing game. And in that case, any old QB will do.

Lee, you are going to have to continue to work hard knowing that your career will never include the playoffs and that your career stats will look horrible, no hall of fame for you, you wont end up top 30 in anything all time, or even on this team. That pretty much goes for the rest of you who also will feel secondary effects of having a long term poor team.

Yes, we admit we wont be able to sniff the playoffs with this plan... ever. But we want to make a half-assed attempt at winning games with scrub QB's, instead of having a painful year and getting to draft our choice of a potential franchise QB. You see, getting a 50/50 shot at a franchise QB isnt worth it, we would rather have a 0% shot by signing guys who either have never shown it as vets, or who arent the best available in the draft and are ranked in lower rounds for a reason.

We know that you will support us with your hard work, blood, sweat, and tears... But keep your chin up, it wont get better. And hey, if you can talk to some of your second tier friends on others teams on our behalf... we would love to have them."

Dr. Taylor Zaius
09-22-2010, 08:19 AM
You NEVER play to lose gentlemen. NEVER. You put your best players on the field always.

X-Era
09-22-2010, 05:02 PM
You NEVER play to lose gentlemen. NEVER. You put your best players on the field always.

I expect the players to give there all regardless.

For the FO to win, they need to get a franchise QB.

Mr. Pink
09-22-2010, 06:37 PM
I expect the players to give there all regardless.

For the FO to win, they need to get a franchise QB.

And for the team to win meaningful football games they need a franchise QB.

doomsdayvirus
09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
i don't think anybody really expects this to be a playoff year, do they? if it wasn't clear before the season, then it should be now.

regardless, i like the move by gailey. it shows he's not gonna let things just slide. i can't be too critical of him yet, because he was basically just handed a lump of ***** and told "make it work"! it's gonna be a while before he (or anyone) can realistically clean up this mess.

as for fitzpatrick. i don't know if he'll actually win us any more games, but at least he'll make them more interesting to watch. he'll take more shots, take more gambles, force the ball and get intercepted more. but at least we might also see the endzone in the process and lose 37-17 instead of 37-3.

X-Era
09-23-2010, 05:35 AM
7 more days, 56% say we should realize its a non-playoff season and end up with the top pick.

Extremebillsfan247
09-23-2010, 07:33 AM

You could save yourself all that time by just saying you want them to throw the season to get the top pick in next years draft. Sully made the same pitch and this very board flamed him for such a sentiment. If that is what this is about, when they do lose, you and anyone who agrees with you has nothing to then complain about when they do lose. Wanting them to lose, then turning around to complain about how they are losing would be kind of hypocritical in my opinion. If you are wanting this then you are against this team winning and I can't do that being a Bills fan. I will never agree to hope for my favorite team to lose. If anyone here has a problem with that, I don't care. lol

stuckincincy
09-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Why don't you hurry up and make a point already? So you are saying that drafting a QB is a bad idea, and shortchanges the current roster? Yes or no. I mean seriously, we don't have time for your essay on sarcasm.

Really? I thought it was quite witty. :duel:

psubills62
09-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Picking #1 doesn't necessarily mean we get what we want. Hell, look at the franchise QBs that have resulted from lower than top 3 picks: Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady...what difference does it make when we pick when it's out scouting dept that sucks! Nix might be decent, but I'm sure he gets alot of input from our scouts out in the field and they suck big time!!!

I agree with your overall point, but my word...please don't put Sanchez in with the rest of these guys. No way he deserves to be there.

better days
09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree with your overall point, but my word...please don't put Sanchez in with the rest of these guys. No way he deserves to be there.

I don't know about that, Sanchez looked pretty good against the Pats* last week. Let's see how he plays against the Fish in Miami.

Philagape
09-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Jay Cutler ... Josh Freeman ... Matt Schaub ... potentially Jimmy Clausen

psubills62
09-23-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't know about that, Sanchez looked pretty good against the Pats* last week. Let's see how he plays against the Fish in Miami.

It was one game against a defense that really isn't that good.

better days
09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
It was one game against a defense that really isn't that good.

Agreed, I think the game on the road in Miami will tell us more about Sanchez.

X-Era
09-23-2010, 07:42 PM
You could save yourself all that time by just saying you want them to throw the season to get the top pick in next years draft. Sully made the same pitch and this very board flamed him for such a sentiment. If that is what this is about, when they do lose, you and anyone who agrees with you has nothing to then complain about when they do lose. Wanting them to lose, then turning around to complain about how they are losing would be kind of hypocritical in my opinion. If you are wanting this then you are against this team winning and I can't do that being a Bills fan. I will never agree to hope for my favorite team to lose. If anyone here has a problem with that, I don't care. lol
Again, I didn't make the rules. The Bills say they will build through the draft. If your only adding a franchise QB through the draft, you most likely need the top pick. You can do the math to figure out what we have to do to get there.

My point is, when they say that, and have a need for a franchise QB, they are determining whats necessary to get to the playoffs or SB... losing badly.

If you or anyone else doesn't like those rules, tell them not me. I'm only trying to find a solution within their operating rules.

feldspar
09-24-2010, 12:44 PM

I think you are giving Fitz too much credit. Every game we won last year when he played was because the defense created 4 or more turnovers. His yards-per-attempt is actually lower than Trent's has been, and his completion % is lower. In other words, the offense doesn't move the ball better with Fitz in there compared to Trent, or hasn't historically. He may "throw the ball down the field" more than Trent, but he really doesn't do it too successfully...it doesn't help open up the running game, or hasn't historically. My prediction is that, if we win some games, it won't be because of Fitz. Then again, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Besides, why hope for the #1 pick? It's a pretty deep QB class coming out next year, and they'll all be hit-or-miss, as they always are. We'll get a pretty good prospect no matter what, I think, because a lot of the worst teams already have a prospect playing out his story.

I wouldn't worry about the Bills winning too many games this year, anyway. But I would NEVER hope the Bills will lose to get a higher pick. The more games we win, the further along we are, which means there is less rebuilding to do, IMO. The sad truth is that we have a lot of rebuilding to do in all probability, so getting a QB won't give us a quick fix. Kelly was picked at 14, I believe. If you remember, the Bills didn't have a winning season until his third year on the team, and he had the benefit of honing his skills in the USFL before being forced to come to Buffalo.

X-Era
09-24-2010, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about the Bills winning too many games this year, anyway. But I would NEVER hope the Bills will lose to get a higher pick. The more games we win, the further along we are, which means there is less rebuilding to do, IMO.

Unless you need a franchise QB, will only get one through the draft, and can then only get your pick with the top choice.

Historian
09-24-2010, 06:28 PM
There's still 14 games guys....its waaay too early to play for a high draft pick.

We'd end up taking a WR anyways....