PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel like...

northernbillfan
09-21-2010, 09:18 AM
...just not giving a rats ass about the team?

Last night while watching MNF, I turned to my wife and said, "Why can't my team be good or show some signs of hope?" I actually felt a little sad when I asked her that question.

It makes me feel like not caring about the team at all, however, football is a strange bedfellow where it's in your blood. A flash of success can bring you from the depths of despair and take to a new elevation in a heartbeat, or at least a well executed four minute drill. You jump off the coach screaming, cheering, pumping fists thinking yes sir, they are a real team after all!!!

Then they get the ball again and turn into that team of futile losers we've been watching for the past few, nay several, years.

I'm not talking about turning in the fan card, I would never do that, I'm talking about not giving a rats ass. About not watching for a while. About not going to a game. But no, we can't do that. Bills fans will be there week in and week out.

The next time someone asks you why do you cheer for a losing team, tell that Bills fans are the hardiest fans in the entire NFL. We've withstood blizzards, wide right and a rebuilding that seems to be taking en eternity. What other fan can say that?

No rebuild this mother-****er already and give us something real to cheer for.

Forward_Lateral
09-21-2010, 09:23 AM
I've tried, believe me. It's not possible. Not watching football is not in my DNA, and I have to watch the Bills if they are on.

Jan Reimers
09-21-2010, 09:30 AM
I've felt like this many, many times since 1960. I usually phrase the question along the lines of, "Why should I care about these 53 guys in Bills' uniforms when not a single one of them even knows I exist?"

I then quit for a day or two, but by Sunday, I'm right back at it. It's some sort of sickness, or addiction, but I don't know how to cure it.

Forward_Lateral
09-21-2010, 09:39 AM
There should be a reality show for idiots like us addicted to watching crappy football teams.

OpIv37
09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
I think I may have finally hit my breaking point.

I almost didn't buy Sunday Ticket this year, and unless there is some major improvement over the course of this season and some major upgrades in the off-season, next year I'll use the money on Center Ice instead.

This team hasn't been fun to watch since the last half of 2004 and it's getting really old. Forget the SB and even the playoffs. Can we get ONE big win? An upset over the Cowboys or, God forbid, the Patriots? Just ONE big regular season win... the closest thing we've had since '04 was the '07 win over the Skins, and the only reason we won was because of Sean Taylor's death. There is literally ZERO payoff in watching this team anymore. ZERO. There is never anything to enjoy.

I love the Bills and I want to see them win so bad, but right now I'm literally spending time and money just to make myself miserable, and to what end? To prove how much of a fan I am? I just don't know how much more of this I can take.

Bravo82
09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
I cancelled my season tickets after the 2008 season, watched about half the games on TV last year, and haven't watched so much as a single snap so far in 2010...life is good.

RoscoeMagic
09-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I cancelled my season tickets after the 2008 season, watched about half the games on TV last year, and haven't watched so much as a single snap so far in 2010...life is good.

:monkeyp:Bravo82's fanhood

EricStratton
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
It's because of games like last night.

The Saints were terrible forever, had bad management, bad coaching, bad players and a city that didn't care but they built a winner.

San Fran was terrible forever, had bad management, bad coaching, bad players and a city that didn't care and went on a run with Rice/Montana and seem close now.

Every team (maybe Dallas and Pittsburgh are exceptions) has had a long bad run and the hope of all fans is that things can eventually turn around.

Beebe's Kid
09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I think I may have finally hit my breaking point.

I almost didn't buy Sunday Ticket this year, and unless there is some major improvement over the course of this season and some major upgrades in the off-season, next year I'll use the money on Center Ice instead.

This team hasn't been fun to watch since the last half of 2004 and it's getting really old. Forget the SB and even the playoffs. Can we get ONE big win? An upset over the Cowboys or, God forbid, the Patriots? Just ONE big regular season win... the closest thing we've had since '04 was the '07 win over the Skins, and the only reason we won was because of Sean Taylor's death. There is literally ZERO payoff in watching this team anymore. ZERO. There is never anything to enjoy.

I love the Bills and I want to see them win so bad, but right now I'm literally spending time and money just to make myself miserable, and to what end? To prove how much of a fan I am? I just don't know how much more of this I can take.

Again...that little window opens up, and we get a peak at Op's soul.

Mostly right on.

You have the benefit (cough) of being a douchey pessimist...try being a "Ra Ra" cheerleader like myself.

I can tell you that Sunday was almost my breaking point. I have season tickets, so I don't buy Sunday Ticket. CBS shows all of the away games in my area, so I get it in HD...problem is I have DirecTV, which doesn't have locals.

Stay with me here...my second son was born in June. We already have a 2.5 year old who is VERY active. My wife goes back to work two weeks ago. She works overnight on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 12 hours each night.

I had the pleasure of seeing Trent pull a Trent live against the Dolphins. As I'm walking back to the car, I say "I can't believe I am walking out of this place with 'this' feeling again..." So last week, I have to make a decision. Either I call Time Warner and get cable again, to get CBS in **** Def, or I get an antenna. TV is in the basement...house is brick...this ain't no job for bunny ears.

So, up on the roof my dumb as goes, with a $110 antenna...I keep getting poor reception, and the 2 year old is screaming every time I am out arm's reach...just when he goes down for the night...up comes the 3 month old.

Morning comes, wife is home, kids are up...wife goes to bed...I am racing the clock with this antenna. I take care of the kids and breakfast, and hanging out and all of the really important stuff...they are ready for a nap. Noon. I race to the store to get the bolts I need...return home at approximately mach 2, in the pouring rain, and back on the roof.

I am hurrying, so I leave the drill on the ground...back down back up...bad reception, back up 3x for adjustment. Boom!! Crystal clear HD, just in time to see Trent get ****ing decapitated by Matthews for the first time.

I order pizza for me and the boy, we are watching...I am ready to vomit...then "the drive," which included the "down-field pass." 13-7, and I'm on top of the world...

**** storm.

Wife wakes up, at the start of the 4th...comes downstairs and says "I'm sorry." That was before she saw the TV... I said "Nawww, it's expected now. I told myself I wouldn't pull for Trent again, and now I completely remember why. I don't think I can take this anymore." I told her I am considering not going to the Jets game, because I am considering scheduling an appointment to have somebody kick my ****ing balls up to the back of my throat, because that sounds like a lot more fun when I compare it to the Bills.

Go to work...get the usual "Well...?" I say "It's over. We may not win. Trent Edwards is no risk of leading this team to a victory...I don't know what I'm going to do."

"How bad?" "Absolutely the worst I have ever watched."

Man, I know I'm not going anywhere, but for ****'s sake...why do I do this to myself? I am raising two boys, and there is no such thing as an option in my house. I refuse to raise Cowboys fans, or Steelers fans...but what am I doing to these boys?

Can ****zpatrick lead us back from the dead? It would be a lot more likely if he could throw a football...

I refuse to watch other games, I won't even watch highlights...50 yards in the air on a dead strike to a WR down the middle of the field? I can't watch. Big play after big play. Comeback after comeback...**** me.

northernbillfan
09-21-2010, 10:36 AM

The Saints were terrible forever, had bad management, bad coaching, bad players and a city that didn't care but they built a winner.

San Fran was terrible forever, had bad management, bad coaching, bad players and a city that didn't care and went on a run with Rice/Montana and seem close now.

Every team (maybe Dallas and Pittsburgh are exceptions) has had a long bad run and the hope of all fans is that things can eventually turn around.This why I was lamenting in my original post. Those teams were bad and we had the joy of saying at least we aren't (insert horrible team name here) fans.

Now when other teams are sucking, the saying is "At least we aren't Bills fans."

EricStratton
09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
This why I was lamenting in my original post. Those teams were bad and we had the joy of saying at least we aren't (insert horrible team name here) fans.

Now when other teams are sucking, the saying is "At least we aren't Bills fans."

I feel your pain NBF.

I work around teens all day who have never known the Bills to not suck when we talk football so I can't even flash back to the 80's/90's like I can with friends.

malo
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm not bull****ting when I say it depends on this offseason. If they **** the bed again, I'm done. This team has until june 2011 to keep me as a fan. Of course the strike can push that back.

RoscoeMagic
09-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I feel your pain NBF.

I work around teens all day who have never known the Bills to not suck when we talk football so I can't even flash back to the 80's/90's like I can with friends.

The teens in Scotch Plains are no better :bike:

Night Train
09-21-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm recording the games (DVR) and doing other things on Sunday. I still haven't seen the Packers game. Think I'm going to sit there and even fast forward through that dreck ?

Delete

That's the plan every Sunday, until they become competitive again.

Good football...is Saturday.

ddaryl
09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
extremly boring offense makes for real boring football

northernbillfan
09-21-2010, 10:59 AM
extremly boring offense makes for real boring footballYou are missing the point to this thread. It's not watching boring football that has me, and others judging by the responses, in an uproar. It's the fact that the Bills have been rebuilding for what seems like an eternity, that is driving us mad.

If the team played boring football and actually won some games, we wouldn't give a rats ass. At least they are winning.

DraftBoy
09-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Im in a different situation a little bit, because unlike many here, if the Bills move it won't affect how much football I watch.

Don't get me wrong, I bleed blue and red, but in the past few years Ive watched more football than ever before and Im more of an NFL fan now. I dont just singely watch the Bills anymore because honestly I need something good to watch. I watch the Falcons mostly because they are local and I like what they are building. I dont follow them like I follow the Bills but Ive branched out.

Also like Night Train said above the best football is played on Saturday anyways. After watching 18 hours of college football on Saturday, Im usually planning other things for Sunday and catching the game on DVR or just using my scorecenter app. Its not worth it for me to piss the money away in a bar when I have to get other stuff done.

The Bills have made me care less about them because I expect them to lose. I still cheer hard and pray for the turnaround but Im far too busy now to invest the time and emotion into it that I used to. And because I live way out of market I have the luxury. I feel bad for the locals to be honest, because they have far less of a choice.

Lexwhat
09-21-2010, 11:20 AM
It's some sort of sickness, or addiction, but I don't know how to cure it.

I know the "cure."

Michael Vick.

Just sayin!

Jan Reimers
09-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I know the "cure."

Michael Vick.

Just sayin!
I've got to say, you know which of my buttons to push.

Oh sorry, you're right. I forgot that my addiction was TO Bills' football. Vick would be the answer.

superbills
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
A buddy of mine got a scouting gig in the NFL, so he's got me tuning in to a lot more college football these past few years. I gotta tell you, it's become a lot of fun to watch those games on Saturday. The fans are in it, the players are in it...maybe it's because I don't really have vested interest in any of the teams. I went to a local college, so I don't have a die-hard loyalty to any one team. I can just sit back and watch the BCS unfold, watch players develop, and just enjoy football.

For me, it's harder with the NFL. I like watching NFL games other than the Bills, but there's always that "why not us" factor. Why can't we have an up and coming quarterback like Alex Smith, or Aaron Rodgers? Why can't we have a perennial contender like the Pats or Colts with a front office that knows how to put pieces in place to win regardless of who they lose in the offseason? Why don't we have an owner like a Bob Kraft or even a Jerry Jones who wants to win at all costs and knows what it takes to win? We almost captured that in the '90s, but a personal pi$$ing match got our all-world GM fired, and we've never recovered. Maybe I'm just another jaded fan. Maybe my skin is waring thin after all these years and I can't "just be happy we have a team" anymore. That's the thing about having choices. We all chose to jump on this bandwagon at some point. The tough part is figuring out if it's time to jump off, or ride it out...even if the bandwagon is careening toward a cliff.

Historian
09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't really root for the team so much as I root for Buffalo.

The Bills are just a part of that.

What has made this team so difficult to watch, is that it isn't even NFL calibre football.

And the so-called "experts" at 1BD seem unwilling to admit that, while they may be "the professionals" that they are not the be-all end-all when it comes to football.

Here's how I stay sane...perhaps some of you should try it:

Go watch a high school, or a little league game. Watch the determination, the desire, and the sportsmanship.

Better yet, attend a UB game. Take in the crowd...the cheerleaders, the band, the atmosphere.

It will renew your faith in the game you love.

Seriously.

northernbillfan
09-21-2010, 12:44 PM
A buddy of mine got a scouting gig in the NFL, so he's got me tuning in to a lot more college football these past few years. I gotta tell you, it's become a lot of fun to watch those games on Saturday. The fans are in it, the players are in it...maybe it's because I don't really have vested interest in any of the teams. I went to a local college, so I don't have a die-hard loyalty to any one team. I can just sit back and watch the BCS unfold, watch players develop, and just enjoy football.

For me, it's harder with the NFL. I like watching NFL games other than the Bills, but there's always that "why not us" factor. Why can't we have an up and coming quarterback like Alex Smith, or Aaron Rodgers? Why can't we have a perennial contender like the Pats or Colts with a front office that knows how to put pieces in place to win regardless of who they lose in the offseason? Why don't we have an owner like a Bob Kraft or even a Jerry Jones who wants to win at all costs and knows what it takes to win? We almost captured that in the '90s, but a personal pi$$ing match got our all-world GM fired, and we've never recovered. Maybe I'm just another jaded fan. Maybe my skin is waring thin after all these years and I can't "just be happy we have a team" anymore. That's the thing about having choices. We all chose to jump on this bandwagon at some point. The tough part is figuring out if it's time to jump off, or ride it out...even if the bandwagon is careening toward a cliff.:bf1: Well said.

SABuffalo786
09-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't really root for the team so much as I root for Buffalo.

The Bills are just a part of that.

What has made this team so difficult to watch, is that it isn't even NFL calibre football.

And the so-called "experts" at 1BD seem unwilling to admit that, while they may be "the professionals" that they are not the be-all end-all when it comes to football.

Here's how I stay sane...perhaps some of you should try it:

Go watch a high school, or a little league game. Watch the determination, the desire, and the sportsmanship.

Better yet, attend a UB game. Take in the crowd...the cheerleaders, the band, the atmosphere.

It will renew your faith in the game you love.

Seriously.

+1000000000000

The only reason I follow the Bills anymore is because I LOVE Buffalo and Buffalo LOVES the Bills and I want Buffalo to be happy.

If it was up to me to make a decision about Buffalo's sporting future, I'd get UB into the Big East and tell the clowns in Orchard Park to hit the ****ing road. As a community, the name of the game in the coming decades is smart growth (and shrinking for a while). The Bills don't fit into that plan, IMO. UB Football (and hockey someday?) would be a GREAT alternative - an institution that's actually INVESTED in the area that we can support and feel good about. Buffalo would go ape **** for big time college ball, IMO.

Don't get me wrong - I'll miss Sunday mornings in the fields of Orchard Park as much as anyone, but at the end of the day tailgating is tailgating. We can party just as hard in Amherst as we can in OP.

The NFL is MASSIVELY overrated, and frankly we don't need it. If/When the Bills leave, we'll still be Buffalo and we'll still have all the things that make us a great city/people. As a community we need to stop thinking of the NFL as the end all/be all of sports. It's jumped the shark, and frankly there's very little in this league that's worth being proud of (Rapists/Multiple DWI offenders/etc...).

Give me a competitive Sabres team and UB in a BCS conference ANY day of the week over the torture/humiliation the Bills have subjugated us to the past DECADE (Marinate on that for a while - a ****ing DECADE!!!).

NC-BILLS44
09-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I know the feeling. I don't think I'll renew Sunday Ticket next year. I usually have to DVR the games, kid commitments, and watch the games later, only to get ticked off and be miserable until I go to bed.

Until there are major changes, new ownership, front office and talent, this team will continue to disappoint the most loyal fans in the world.

Right now this organization and team SUCKS!!!!!!

mrbojanglezs
09-21-2010, 01:43 PM
ya im sure your wife had the answer to that question

Extremebillsfan247
09-21-2010, 01:54 PM

Last night while watching MNF, I turned to my wife and said, "Why can't my team be good or show some signs of hope?" I actually felt a little sad when I asked her that question.

It makes me feel like not caring about the team at all, however, football is a strange bedfellow where it's in your blood. A flash of success can bring you from the depths of despair and take to a new elevation in a heartbeat, or at least a well executed four minute drill. You jump off the coach screaming, cheering, pumping fists thinking yes sir, they are a real team after all!!!

Then they get the ball again and turn into that team of futile losers we've been watching for the past few, nay several, years.

I'm not talking about turning in the fan card, I would never do that, I'm talking about not giving a rats ass. About not watching for a while. About not going to a game. But no, we can't do that. Bills fans will be there week in and week out.

The next time someone asks you why do you cheer for a losing team, tell that Bills fans are the hardiest fans in the entire NFL. We've withstood blizzards, wide right and a rebuilding that seems to be taking en eternity. What other fan can say that?

I was around for the consecutive 2-14 seasons so nope, I can't say that I have reached that point where I'm too disgusted to watch this team play. I probably never will be. Hell, the year I was born this team went 1-13. So yeah, I think it's safe to say I've seen worse than this. This team has been a part of my life for so long that I wouldn't know how to go with out it. JMO

Jimbuktu
09-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Easily one of the most depressing threads ever.

I'm a UB grad who lives on the outskirts of NYC. Wish I could watch the Bulls regularly, because I'd rather do that than watch the Bills now that's for sure.

OpIv37
09-21-2010, 02:24 PM
This team has been a part of my life for so long that I wouldn't know how to go with out it. JMO

Although I haven't been around as long as you, sometimes I feel the same way.

But if something in your life makes you unhappy, at some point you may have to make a difficult decision to change it. Break up or get a divorce, change jobs, move to a new city, etc. No one likes to make decisions like this because it upsets their lives, but sometimes it's the only way to be happy.

Clearly, watching football isn't as important as those other things, but I've spent every Sunday for at least the last 18+ years watching the games. I plan my entire week around having that time open. if I were to stop watching the games, it would be a significant change in my life. But I'm starting to think it's a change I may have to make.

imbondz
09-21-2010, 02:26 PM

that's how Saints fans have felt all their lives until last year. It's only a matter of time before the Bills win a SuperBowl. We just won't be alive to enjoy it.

Billz_fan
09-21-2010, 02:46 PM
I was around for the consecutive 2-14 seasons so nope, I can't say that I have reached that point where I'm too disgusted to watch this team play. I probably never will be. Hell, the year I was born this team went 1-13. So yeah, I think it's safe to say I've seen worse than this. This team has been a part of my life for so long that I wouldn't know how to go with out it. JMO

Yeah, I was in the seats for alot of those 2-14 season games in the 80's. We would get cheap tickets then get to the game and sit wherever we wanted :laughter:

I don't know what to do personally. I used to be a die hard optimist in regards to this team. I was a pure homer like many folks on the board here. The team was 2-14 and I didn't care I was doing something everyday to gain insight etc. Buying Bills merchandise etc. I was wearing all my stuff to work and people would think I was crazy to blindly follow such losing. Every Sunday I was in one of those seats to. God they were so bad :D

It's different now, things have changed Im 51 years old now and the losing affects me different. I really don't care as much. I have thought about another team but for some reason the other teams I have always had a soft spot for are losers also. I think it's in my blood to be in love with football yet miserable at the same time.

I see these shows on tv all the time about how this franchise or that has always had hard luck or been jinxed etc. We are always down the list on those shows as far as suffering fans. Jesus, nobody has suffered more than Bills fans and we cannot even come in first on a show dedicated to teams that always lose. I just don't get it.

Yet every Sunday I set my Direct Tv to 705 or whatever channel the game is on and watch the mess unfold. then I say im not gonna do it next week yet I always do. Yes that is addictive behavior.

Extremebillsfan247
09-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Although I haven't been around as long as you, sometimes I feel the same way.

But if something in your life makes you unhappy, at some point you may have to make a difficult decision to change it. Break up or get a divorce, change jobs, move to a new city, etc. No one likes to make decisions like this because it upsets their lives, but sometimes it's the only way to be happy.

Clearly, watching football isn't as important as those other things, but I've spent every Sunday for at least the last 18+ years watching the games. I plan my entire week around having that time open. if I were to stop watching the games, it would be a significant change in my life. But I'm starting to think it's a change I may have to make.

Nonsense, if after 18 years you are still here as a fan, that says something about your conviction as a fan. It speaks to what is called intestinal fortitude. Being there when the team is struggling is a hard thing to do, that's why some fans jump from team to team. But that isn't us. We are not the typical homer fan who thinks this team will go to the Superbowl every year.

But everyone following this team right now is a die hard fan. You have to be to still say I'm a Bills fan despite what we see here year after year. There is a reason for it. Just like the years we were the top dog in the division and the AFC going to 4 straight Superbowls. We all know that when it finally does turn for this team, those victories will be that much sweeter because we were here showing our support for the Bills through the tough times. It makes you a stronger fan in the end.

Nothing lasts forever including playoff droughts. The Bills will be back. We just have to weather the storms and rough times to get there. JMO

northernbillfan
09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
ya im sure your wife had the answer to that questionMy wife is a huge football fan.

X-Era
09-21-2010, 08:32 PM

NBF speakith the truth.

The cold, skunky, truth.

malo
09-21-2010, 09:10 PM
It's really just the last 2 years that I've sunk to this level because the front office has done nothing for 2 straight years

imbondz
09-21-2010, 10:14 PM
even when the Bills are ranked 32, there's still no other team I would rather cheer for. no sure what that means.

northernbillfan
09-21-2010, 11:20 PM
even when the Bills are ranked 32, there's still no other team I would rather cheer for. no sure what that means.Amen brutha, amen!

Mr. Pink
09-22-2010, 01:14 AM

Every team (maybe Dallas and Pittsburgh are exceptions) has had a long bad run and the hope of all fans is that things can eventually turn around.

Pittsburgh was terrible in the 80s

And Dallas was terrible right before Aikman.

The league is cyclical, every team has some success turns into crap and then becomes good again...well every team except the Lions.

billz83
09-22-2010, 01:22 PM
i wish our team could play like the lions!HAHAHA our team is so PATHETIC that even the lions and every other team in the NFL our outplaying us and are straight up better then us! how long are we going to be the worst team in the NFL..as long as OLD MAN WILSON is around sabotaging the team!

Lexwhat
09-23-2010, 11:06 AM
I've got to say, you know which of my buttons to push.

Oh sorry, you're right. I forgot that my addiction was TO Bills' football. Vick would be the answer.

Yes, exactly.