PDA

View Full Version : Changing QBs after two weeks is act of desperation

justasportsfan
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Gailey promised an open quarterback competition in training camp. He said all three candidates -- Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm -- would have a chance at the starting job. It was a sham. Fitzpatrick and Brohm never got a fair shot. They never had a chance to prove themselves with the starters in preseason.

Gailey said there was a light at the end of tunnel for Edwards. Turns out the light was Clay Matthews' flashing yellow hair.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article196311.ece

ChristopherWalken
09-21-2010, 10:33 AM
What really bothers me about articles like this is had Gailey not responded to the pathetic showing Edwards has posted in the last two weeks, the media would be eating him alive for failing to "pull the trigger" (sort of speak).

justasportsfan
09-21-2010, 10:33 AM
I tend to agree with the the article. You can't get any consistency switching players back and forth even in our running game.

I just hoped that Brohm would have been named the starter now so that we can see if we can be developed.

Seems like Fitz at qb means that Gailey is trying to SAVE FACE hoping the team doesn't look as bad as when Trent is at qb.

Night Train
09-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Sullivan spends his whole column asking why and then answers it himself with the obvious.

Maybe it will inject some life, and a healthy dose of fear, into this dull, passionless team. The quarterback just lost his job after two weeks. More of the players should act as if their futures are at stake here.

Gailey is sending a message to the locker room. I got that yesterday. :rolleyes:

Beebe's Kid
09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
What really bothers me about articles like this is had Gailey not responded to the pathetic showing Edwards has posted in the last two weeks, the media would be eating him alive for failing to "pull the trigger" (sort of speak).
That's because these "reporters" aren't accountable for their work, they just hold other people to standards that they never have to meet. They don't ever have to stand face to face with the people they bash. I call that cowardly.

Trent supposedly looks like a stallion at practice, and turns into My Little Pony on Sundays. Gaily said "I can work with this."

The local media keeps saying that there was no competition...I would be willing to bet, in candid conversation, Gailey would say that after watching tape from last year...it was open. After seeing the guys show up and throw some footballs...it wasn't so open. Trent has some gifts, I am going to make this work.

Miami game...Chan can't figure it out...looks like he got kicked in the pills...figures we'll straighten this out. GB...after a good week of practice, here comes My Little Pony...Chan says...this ain't working.

I call what he is doing cutting his losses. I try to put myself in his shoes, and think what he may have been thinking...

That is not a popular way to conduct your business, concerning the Bills. You have to just bash and bash and bash. These same ****s that do all of the bashing have never/ will never be in a position to have their decisions scrutinized...too scared of what the results would be.

justasportsfan
09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
sometimes it pays to listen to your players for answers. The team wanted Flutie over RJ, JP over Trent and Fitz over Trent.

billsfanryan
09-21-2010, 11:04 AM
I tend to agree with the the article. You can't get any consistency switching players back and forth even in our running game.

I just hoped that Brohm would have been named the starter now so that we can see if we can be developed.

Seems like Fitz at qb means that Gailey is trying to SAVE FACE hoping the team doesn't look as bad as when Trent is at qb.

Why would you hope for that??? No one can develop behind the offensive line we have. If the offensive line progresses during the year, then give brohm a shot. But you would create trent edwards #2 if you threw brohm out there now. He would get hit and hit and hit and become gun shy and end up getting concussions etc etc etc. Throw fitz in there and let him take a beating since he isn't a developmental player.

trapezeus
09-21-2010, 11:09 AM
i think Gailey just shot himself in the foot with this move. he was supposed to be able to develop QB's as pathetic as thigpen and stewart. he's supposed to have an eye.

he told us trent was the guy. now he's switching after weeks of seeing these guys.

Fine, it's good he admits the mistake and moves on, but now pretty much everything that doesn't work will have every joker on the team giving their input.

This is as bad as ditching the LT the week before the season and killing the OC 2 weeks before the season. The team remains rudderless.

TacklingDummy
09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Whens Gailey going to apologize to those hecklers?

Pinkerton Security
09-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Desperate times call for desperate measures, right? my feeling is that Gailey saw last year that Trent was pretty ineffective but was hoping he could salvage something in him, and when he couldnt, he decided it was time to pull the plug. When you've had moderate success with Tyler Thigpen at the helm and then Trent has had very, very little success, then I'd say its a good sign Trent isnt the man for the job.

Joe Fo Sho
09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Some call it desperation, others call it boredom.

Thief
09-21-2010, 11:25 AM
i think Gailey just shot himself in the foot with this move. he was supposed to be able to develop QB's as pathetic as thigpen and stewart. he's supposed to have an eye.All that tells me is Trent is worse.

Historian
09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
but after two games, Nix's guy is performing down to the role of befuddled fumbler, over his head in the dual roles of head coach and offensive coordinator.

Hank Bullough 2: Without the colorful metaphors

Bill Cody
09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
i think Gailey just shot himself in the foot with this move. .

After the past two weeks I'd say shooting himself only in the foot shows remarkable restraint.

better days
09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I think Chan thought he could get Trent to play in real games like he plays in practice. After 2 games he realized he couldn't.

justasportsfan
09-21-2010, 12:13 PM
I think Chan thought he could get Trent to play in real games like he plays in practice. After 2 games he realized he couldn't.

thats what I think. Thigpen and co. might have showed the opposite.

Beebe's Kid
09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Whens Gailey going to apologize to those hecklers?

Yeah, Trent and all of the other people at practice deserved to have racial slurs screamed at them...

Because the guy can't play QB, he should be publicly humiliated, more than he already is, and have racial slurs and homophobic sentiment shouted at him. It should also happen at a practice that the team allows you to attend.

He really should do the right thing and apologize for defending his player.

Bill Cody
09-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Hank Bullough 2: Without the colorful metaphors

We could have Bill Walsh II roaming the sidelines and it wouldn't matter much. This team stinks. You can't coach talent. I was not thrilled with the Gailey hire for one simple reason: he's a guy that ran a boring offense at GA Tech and got fired. We know this team blows. We get that. But how do you go from one of the most boring coaches in history (Jauron) to another one? "Hard Knocks" wasn't calling the Bills if the Jets said no, you know? What specifically could he do? How about play Brohm, play Spiller a lot more, start Maybin, run a less vanilla offense SHOW A FREAKIN PULSE.

by the way, benching Edwards was not a desperate move. You guys watch the games. His team would have mutinied if Edwards stayed in, it's just that simple.

Historian
09-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah, Trent and all of the other people at practice deserved to have racial slurs screamed at them...

Because the guy can't play QB, he should be publicly humiliated, more than he already is, and have racial slurs and homophobic sentiment shouted at him. It should also happen at a practice that the team allows you to attend.

He really should do the right thing and apologize for defending his player.

"Trent you dumb white guy!"

"You look like Justin Bieber!!!"

Nighthawk
09-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Ummm, it hasn't just been 2 weeks....it's been about 3 years! I have no problem with Gailey admitting his mistake and changing now then waiting until later. I swear some people just need to ***** about something...and trust me, I like to *****! If Gailey would've waited until week 8 to make the change just so he wouldn't look bad by picking Trent going into the season, then everybody would ***** that he is an idiot and couldn't see that Trent was just awful weeks ago. You can't have it both ways...he saw his mistake (Trent being the starter) and changed it. I'm totally fine with it.

PromoTheRobot
09-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Consistency? Like we need us some more of what Trent is cookin'?

PTR

justasportsfan
09-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Consistency? Like we need us some more of what Trent is cookin'?

PTR

Sorry, should have made it clearer that Trent wasn't in that pciture. He needs to be consistently on the bench when I mentioned Brohm as the starter.

Mahdi
09-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Gailey promised an open quarterback competition in training camp. He said all three candidates -- Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm -- would have a chance at the starting job. It was a sham. Fitzpatrick and Brohm never got a fair shot. They never had a chance to prove themselves with the starters in preseason.

Gailey said there was a light at the end of tunnel for Edwards. Turns out the light was Clay Matthews' flashing yellow hair.

I actually agree with everything Sullivan says in this article except the title itself. I don't think it was an act of desperation. I think it was an act of realization.

Gailey's mindset after watching how bad Trent was last year was to see if he could fix Trent. Once we got into real games and he saw Trent doing the same things he realized that Trent is what he is and won't change. He is a bad QB. And Gailey knows that now.

ddaryl
09-21-2010, 01:14 PM

what needs to be remembered is the teams mental state. If Fitz can get the offense moving a little better that will breed some confidence and the players will have some fun. If they are having some fun they will play harder and practice harder, and over alll just become better in the process.

I don't think this is a save face move at all. It's a coach who wants to see the team improve. I'm sure Gailey watched plenty of film from previous years and knows what Trent can do and what he has done... He showed a lot in preseason, moved the O and looked decent... but we all saw the trent we hoped was gone these 1st 2 games and gailey obviously recognizes it.

My hats of to Gailey for making the decision week #2, instead of week #8

I actually agree with everything Sullivan says in this article except the title itself. I don't think it was an act of desperation. I think it was an act of realization.

basically what he said but with a heluva a lot more words

Extremebillsfan247
09-21-2010, 01:18 PM

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article196311.ece I thought everyone here hated Sully. lol I guess he is only hated when he says something you all don't agree with? just a shot in the dark here.

Extremebillsfan247
09-21-2010, 01:41 PM

What is wrong with this picture? http://imgsrv.wgr550.com/image/DbLiteGraphic/201009/7208273.jpg?1285093820 :wtf: :comedy:

Oaf
09-21-2010, 02:27 PM
But the guy had six months to coach 'em up and get the offense fixed. Instead, it seems like he's making things up as he goes along.

trapezeus
09-21-2010, 03:11 PM
to the poster that said the team would mutiny: What would be the difference between this team and a team in full mutiny. i think we'd still see very little offense either way.

Slim
09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
What is wrong with this picture? http://imgsrv.wgr550.com/image/DbLiteGraphic/201009/7208273.jpg?1285093820 :wtf: :comedy:

He looks like a centaur.

JCBills
09-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Why would you hope for that??? No one can develop behind the offensive line we have. If the offensive line progresses during the year, then give brohm a shot. But you would create trent edwards #2 if you threw brohm out there now. He would get hit and hit and hit and become gun shy and end up getting concussions etc etc etc. Throw fitz in there and let him take a beating since he isn't a developmental player.

Not every QB shrivels up and dies when they get hit a little too much, ask Rodgers and Roethlisberger.

Novacane
09-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Sullivan just likes to critisize. I do agree with him that the QB "competition" was a sham but that's it. The rest is just typical Jerry Sullivan being a know it all ass.

I see it as Chan realizing he made a mistake and is trying to do something about it. I'm not sold on Chan at all but I :bf1: him for this move. A lot of coaches would be stubborn and keep sending Trent out there to fail.

YardRat
09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Sullivan is a *****.

Turf
09-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Gailey made the only choice he could, sit the worst player on the team. My only surprise is that he wasn't cut outright. Lets get this straight WGR, Buffalo News, and radio shows, Trent Edwards is the worst QB ever to play. There is no conspiracy, no bad coaching. It's looking at the guy like I have and saying this guy is a ****ing moron. That simple. Get over it.
I'd rather they admit it than put us through 4 more quarters of torture.

better days
09-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Gailey made the only choice he could, sit the worst player on the team. My only surprise is that he wasn't cut outright. Lets get this straight WGR, Buffalo News, and radio shows, Trent Edwards is the worst QB ever to play. There is no conspiracy, no bad coaching. It's looking at the guy like I have and saying this guy is a ****ing moron. That simple. Get over it.
I'd rather they admit it than put us through 4 more quarters of torture.

The crazy thing is, hasn't the media been saying the same about Trent as MOST everyone on this board?

Turf
09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah and what I find humorous is the media for the sake of a story or having something to talk about is questioning the timing. Basically shows me how they really are.

jamze132
09-22-2010, 12:33 AM
I highly doubt Gailey is desperate. He knows that all of his QBs suck ass so what's the harm in trying a different one? Did anyone really think any of these QBs were Gailey's? He'll get his QB next offseason.