PDA

View Full Version : Bills union rep '100 percent' expects lockout

RockStar36
09-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Bills safety and union representative George Wilson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9267) said the vote was unanimous. The Bills were the seventh team Smith has met with for a decertification vote. All are said to have passed unanimously.

After the meeting, Wilson declared he was "100 percent convinced" there will be a lockout.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/18690/bills-union-rep-100-percent-expects-lockout

Commissioner
09-22-2010, 06:47 PM
I'll start getting nervous if there's still a lockout next July.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
On the plus side, if there's a full season lockout that would mean two top 5-9 picks and 4 picks overall in the top 45.

more cowbell
09-22-2010, 07:04 PM
I could start a whole thread about how much I hate Roger Goodell and how he is completely ruining the league...but I'm just .....tired....the Bills make me sooooo...tired....and thinking about this ass-clown as the Commissioner makes me even more...tired

HAMMER
09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Good, I can't stand the Bills anymore.

trapezeus
09-22-2010, 07:35 PM
that's an interesting question. say we did trade a player for a pick. would we get that pick in the 2011 and 2012 draft since all the slotting stayed the same?

if so, that's even more reason to fire sale the remaining talent. we could literally have like 14-16 picks back to back years very high in the draft under new rookie rules.

doomsdayvirus
09-22-2010, 07:37 PM
on one hand...

one less season = a year break from the suffering.

on the other hand...

one less season = another year toward's ralph's (and the bills') grave w/o a chance to win it all.

RockStar36
09-22-2010, 07:37 PM
that's an interesting question. say we did trade a player for a pick. would we get that pick in the 2011 and 2012 draft since all the slotting stayed the same?

if so, that's even more reason to fire sale the remaining talent. we could literally have like 14-16 picks back to back years very high in the draft under new rookie rules.

I doubt it.

When the Bills have the #1 overall pick, they would have it 2 years in a row, but I don't think that would go for a traded pick.

For instance, if they traded Lynch for a 2011 4th round, the 2012 4th round would still belong to that team.

X-Era
09-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I thought Wilson was simply saying the NFL wants a lockout... not that it can even happen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/22/bills-vote-to-decertify-union-rep-says-owners-want-a-lockout/

---------------------------------------------------------

Bills safety George Wilson, the team's union representative, says he's sure the owners are planning a lockout.

"Beyond a shadow of a doubt," Wilson said. "With everything the NFL has done, they're positioning for a lockout."

Mr. Pink
09-22-2010, 08:36 PM
It's gonna be interesting to see what happens in 2011.

The union is gonna decertify itself and sue the NFL.

What the owners do will be amusing.

PromoTheRobot
09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
on one hand...

one less season = a year break from the suffering.

on the other hand...

one less season = another year toward's ralph's (and the bills') grave AND THE MOVING VANS PULL UP.

fixed.

PTR

TMu11
09-23-2010, 04:18 AM
On the plus side, if there's a full season lockout that would mean two top 5-9 picks and 4 picks overall in the top 45.

It's more likely that the 2012 draft will be a lottery style. It's not probable that the Bills would have the same pick in both drafts, whether it be 1st or 5th. Too many teams, owners etc. would complain.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-23-2010, 04:25 AM
As a Bills fan I really hope there is a lockout and next season is canceled. The NFL will have to figure out a way to have a draft lottery where the Bills get another top draft pick. Hopefully Buddy Nix can fix this thing in two years.

don137
09-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Like I said previously my buddy works for the Panthers and he said Richardson, the owner of the Panthers, is prepared for a two year lockout and will play hard ball with the players. I believe he is reporesenting the owners in the negotiations and will not cave according to my buddy. He think the players get way too much money androokie payroll is out ofcontrol for the top picks. He did a huge salary dump this offseason and has the smallest aggregate payroll for all teams.

Jeff1220
09-23-2010, 06:16 AM
The players and owners are rich and greedy, and both would be at fault.

don137
09-23-2010, 06:41 AM
The players and owners are rich and greedy, and both would be at fault.
Agreed. The players are the ones that are putting their body at risk and want to be paid as much as possible as result. The owners are saying this is a business and are in it to make money. With all their expenses (i.e. some owners own their own stadium and have to incur all those costs) they are not making as much as they should due to the players getting too much of the pie.
We shall see who wins in the end (my hunch it will be the owners) but both want more money. Players realize their career is short so to have a lockout of 1-2 years will effect their wealth in the long run more than the owners.

hydro
09-23-2010, 07:30 AM
The guy that is traveling to all the teams to vote on decertification of the players union was on wgr yesterday and said that the owners have it in the tv contract that they get paid lockout or not. That isn't good for the players.

RockStar36
09-23-2010, 08:08 AM
The guy that is traveling to all the teams to vote on decertification of the players union was on wgr yesterday and said that the owners have it in the tv contract that they get paid lockout or not. That isn't good for the players.

I heard bits of the that interview on the way to work this morning. That guy sounded awful. Based on his tone and what he said, I fully expect a lockout now.

ddaryl
09-23-2010, 08:09 AM

that won't be very good for relationships with the networks either...

stuckincincy
09-23-2010, 08:11 AM
It's gonna be interesting to see what happens in 2011.

The union is gonna decertify itself and sue the NFL.

What the owners do will be amusing.

CIN owner Mike Brown would jump for joy, if the players sued the NFL. The B'gals would become the Pgh. Pirates - they would never again have a winning season, the team would become a collection of street FAs.

Among other things in his incredibly lop-sided contract with Hamilton County, he is guaranteed something like 80% of the stadium's capacity. If it dips below, the county taxpayers have to purchase the tickets.

better days
09-23-2010, 09:15 AM
CIN owner Mike Brown would jump for joy, if the players sued the NFL. The B'gals would become the Pgh. Pirates - they would never again have a winning season, the team would become a collection of street FAs.

Among other things in his incredibly lop-sided contract with Hamilton County, he is guaranteed something like 80% of the stadium's capacity. If it dips below, the county taxpayers have to purchase the tickets.

S.D. has had a similar deal with the Chargers but it just ended.

ddaryl
09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
this could end up being the best year to officially suck balls if we benefit with 2 drafts

stuckincincy
09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
S.D. has had a similar deal with the Chargers but it just ended.

I suspect the CIN deal is worse. Brown just went, this year, from paying a few million in rent of PBS Stadium, to the county paying him several million a year to use it. All maintenance is paid by the county, except the field itself. He gets all the parking and concession $. If 14 other stadiums get improvements (like the RWS jumbotron), he gets the same improvements at county cost. If by chance, if only 7 stadiums that are not publicly-owned do those improvements, that clause kicks in.

He has complete control of any activity in the stadium. If a college, or a local high school event, or a concert is contemplated, they have to pay Mikie. The county has to pay for utilities, manning the place, etc.

The bonds, purchased by an increase in sales tax, issued to pay for the stadium have been re-financed. They closed down a 800 unit jail to meet payments 2 years ago, releasing the inmates to go out and commit further mayhem.

My wife is retiring soon, and we will fly far from Ohio - we will never locate to a city or county that has a major league team - never.

BertSquirtgum
09-23-2010, 10:07 AM

it could end up being the best thing for the bills.