PDA

View Full Version : So How Long Does It Take?

ServoBillieves
09-22-2010, 08:36 PM
So we need...

QB
#2 WR
TE
Blocking TE
LT
RT
C
NT (apparently)
ILB
OLB who can cover
CB who can cover the flat
S other than Whitner
ST Coach

What's the over under on years it takes for that to get fixed?

Mr. Pink
09-22-2010, 08:39 PM
QB alone can take 1 to 50ish years?

Look at the Lions, they haven't had a good QB since the 50s.

wmoz11
09-22-2010, 08:40 PM
If everyone goes perfectly, we can make the playoffs next year. Or, like we've seen, it can take 10+ years and still nothing. It just depends if we have the right front office to make the correct changes and pick the correct players.

I have my doubts.

doomsdayvirus
09-22-2010, 08:43 PM
we may have resolved the TE situation 8 times in the past 5 years, but wouldn't know it, since our QB's never even try to throw to them.

stupar hasn't looked bad, and nelson seems to have potential at WR.

Billz_fan
09-22-2010, 08:48 PM
The way they are going, Wanting to use only the draft it will take several years IMO. Why ? because if you only use the draft you cannot afford to make mistakes picking players and the Bills have done nothing but make mistakes picking players.

Also, the lifespan of a Bills coach is 3 years if a winning record is not shown in one of the years. After 3 years and no winning Gailey win be run out of town or quit like all the others. Guess what happens then, we start over.

ServoBillieves
09-22-2010, 08:50 PM
I honestly thought we had a good TE in Schouman, but injuries will have ruined that. Stupar looks OK, but Nelson needs to get back and show something before I make the assumption that he can be the all around TE we need.

YardRat
09-22-2010, 08:52 PM
2 to make the playoffs, four to be a legit contender.

Dying_-2-_Live
09-22-2010, 09:02 PM
The counters on 10 years and still running

Buffalo Thriller
09-22-2010, 09:14 PM
RALPH MUST DIE!

Don't Panic
09-23-2010, 05:38 AM
So we need...

QB
#2 WR
TE
Blocking TE
LT
RT
C
NT (apparently)
ILB
OLB who can cover
S other than Whitner
ST Coach

On offense, if you solve LT (and to a lesser extent RT) then you take a ton of pressure off QB (not that any of our current stable necessarily qualify), which can make the #2WR and TE more productive and the blocking TE less necessary. C doesn't worry me as we could slide Wood there if needed and just find another guard.

On defense, have a dominant NT would make the DEs and the whole pass rush better, taking coverage pressure off the OLB and allowing the CB to worry more about the flat. A dominant NT also keeps the rushing lanes clogged in the middle, making life easier for the ILB. The safeties don't worry me, especially if everyone is doing their job better due to said NT.

So... we need two tackles for starters - a LT and a NT. Let's start with that and then our problems won't seem so overwhelming.

Disclaimer: This is not in any way a recommendation that we pass on a QB next April if the right one is there in the 1st round.

X-Era
09-23-2010, 05:50 AM
So we need...

QB
#2 WR
TE
Blocking TE
LT
RT
C
NT (apparently)
ILB
OLB who can cover
S other than Whitner
ST Coach

I cant agree that we need that much.

QB
RT- If Meredith cant develop, it isnt Green.
#2 WR- could be Johnson or Easley
TE- Im happy with Nelson
Blocking TE- Agreed
LT- Bell is getting bad hype for little reason, he's been playing well and will continue to develop.
C- Could be Wood
NT- I think were fine between Williams and Troup
ILB- Agreed
OLB- Agreed
CB- Im fine with who we have
S- Maybe a heavy hitting SS to replace Whiter.

In my opinion we need:

QB
RT
Blocking TE
ILB
OLB

But after that I'm always for significantly upgrading talent on the roster. I wouldn't have a problem with big upgrades at any of the positions you listed as long as it wasn't at the expense of some of our big needs.

As far as how many years, I would say if we go after the changes we need and make solid moves in the areas I list, I think it can be done in 2-3 years. Possibly even in 1-2. But it takes a commitment in all phases of the offseason, free agency, draft, and trades.

Cleve
09-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Given the fact that I am unconvinced that Wilson isn't in fact meddling in important personnel and game play decisions.. "How long" becomes forever. That guy was no football genius 20 years ago, and unlike fine wine has decidedly not improved with age.

trapezeus
09-23-2010, 09:04 AM
a jets friend of mine said to me apologetically (not smack talk), "i just don't see how the bills get good in 5 years either. They could get a couple good players, but they never get support or depth."

I was kind of just stunned and agreed.

SabreEleven
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
The counters on 10 years and still running

You are right, Apparently it takes more than 10 years.

X-Era
09-23-2010, 07:47 PM
a jets friend of mine said to me apologetically (not smack talk), "i just don't see how the bills get good in 5 years either. They could get a couple good players, but they never get support or depth."

I was kind of just stunned and agreed.

Been saying this for years. You have to have solid depth at many spots. When your starting guys like Corto, Ellison, Digi, Chambers due to injury you can and probably will lose games. Your team needs starting quality players in layers.

billz83
09-24-2010, 02:25 PM
as long as it takes ralph wilson to move on..