PDA

View Full Version : They're All Going To Laugh At You!

patmoran2006
09-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Scathing, yes.. But I'm really sick of his mouth. Why does it seem the ONLY time we ever hear about Whitner is everything BUT Sunday afternoon?
--------------------

It doesn’t take a football authority to critique how much the Buffalo Bills have disappointed; not only thus far in 2010 but for the better part of the past decade. The Bills are 0-2 and look far more like a team ready for a fight to evade having the worst record in the entire NFL than a squad ready to halt a decade long playoff drought. It’s testing enough losing so habitually, but according to one Buffalo player, opponents have taken to (literally) laughing the Bills off the field.

In a post by Bills.com lead journalist Chris Brown (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/22/they-were-laughing-at-us/), Bills safety Donte Whitner stated that Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers and other players were getting a good chuckle out of the Bills near the conclusion of their 34-7 shellacking last Sunday.

“It happened last week,” Whitner told Brown. ”The Packers were laughing at us. Aaron Rodgers and a lot of those guys were laughing at us toward the end of the football game and that never feels good.”

Whitner also said in the interview that Green Bay hasn’t been the only team to get giggles at Buffalo’s expense. He claims this week’s opponent, the New England Patriots have done the exact same thing.

“Yeah, by the end of the fourth quarter they’re laughing at us,” Whitner also told Brown. ”It always happens. We can’t keep allowing that to happen. Guys go out there and they work too hard. When you don’t come out the way that you prepare all week and all offseason to come out then there’s obviously something wrong.”

I find it peculiar that Whitner is the one publicly doing the complaining. Along with teammate Drayton Florence, Whitner typically leads the weekly brigade in Twitter smack talk. He rattles off several tweets boasting how ready and prepared his team is to win up until game time, then threatens to “block” frustrated fans come Monday morning when they’re ready to sound off after another abysmal team performance that he’s a big part of.

I understand Whitner’s frustration. He’s an athlete and a man with plenty, maybe even too much pride. I also get that the meat and potatoes of his gripe with opposition laughter is because of his team’s own performance.

One area where Whitner is undoubtedly correct is the only way to shut up the Patriots or other teams from suffering comedic induced bellyaches is by going out and winning. Since he is one of the team leaders, it’d be a good start for him to be the one who steps up and creates game-impacting plays.
He’s in his fifth season in the league and up until this point, that unmistakably hasn’t happened. Maybe in part they’re laughing at the eighth overall pick of the 2006 draft that’s started 55 games yet only has four interceptions, two forced fumbles and one sack—for his career.

Or maybe they’re laughing at an offense that’s produced 17 points in two games and is dead last in the league in total yards.

Or maybe they’re laughing at a defense that had plenty of preseason self-hype yet has produced zero interceptions, zero forced fumbles and only three sacks in two weeks.

This is the same guy who guaranteed the Bills would make the playoffs in 2008. Buffalo finished the season 7-9.

That’s hard to not laugh at.

SabreEleven
09-23-2010, 10:14 AM
It doesn’t take a football authority to critique how much the Buffalo Bills have disappointed; not only thus far in 2010 but for the <S>better part of the</S> past decade

I'm not a journalist, Pat, but I think this is more accurate

patmoran2006
09-23-2010, 10:19 AM
It doesn’t take a football authority to critique how much the Buffalo Bills have disappointed; not only thus far in 2010 but for the <S>better part of the</S> past decade

I'm not a journalist, Pat, but I think this is more accurate

Funny, yet technically accurate.. I said "better part" because there was at least a season or two thrown in there where we were legitimately in the playoff race until the end of the season; something not all fans were overly disapointed about.

don137
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Good I am glad they are getting laughed at as players. As a player step up and do something about it Whitner.
Try being a fan. Players come and go but true fans stick by their team. Other than the Jim Kelly era I have been laughed at being a Bills fan my entire life. My son gets laughed at school for being a Bills fan. Through it all we will stick by our team no matter how disgraceful they play on the field.

bigbub2352
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
whitner is the worst starting SS in the league been saying it for 3 years now
tell me what are his strength's? beside's his mouth

SabreEleven
09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Good I am glad they are getting laughed at as players. As a player step up and do something about it Whitner.
Try being a fan. Players come and go but true fans stick by their team. Other than the Jim Kelly era I have been laughed at being a Bills fan my entire life. My son gets laughed at school for being a Bills fan. Through it all we will stick by our team no matter how disgraceful they play on the field.

I still get the Boy-I-Love-Losing-Superbowl jokes to this day.

RoscoeMagic
09-23-2010, 10:31 AM

I have a dream. That all fans are created equal and should be judged not on the quality of their team, but on the quality of their fanhood.

LVGrown
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
ok so is he actually complaining about other teams laughing or is he saying that they need to step up and stop being the butt of the jokes? i feel like people are taking him completely out of context orrrrr maybe it's just me.

RockStar36
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Technically that is incorrect because Super Bowl is two words.

Eh, that's all I got though.

Beebe's Kid
09-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I like it. That is a hard thing for him to say, and it is the kind of thing a team can use to rally around.

I guess I am a little different, in the fact that I still like this team, and it's players. I also ****ing hate that we get laughed at. I refuse to be a pussy and laugh at them with other fans. It is a coward that doesn't defend his own, but rather laughs because he doesn't want to look foolish.

Are we bad? Have we been bad? Can I see how others are laughing? Yes, to all of the above.

I like Whitner, which is another rarity. I think he is the best Safety we have, and that we are a better team with him on the field. He is also a leader. Like his "mouth" or not, this team is lacking in testicular fortitude, and while Whitner's is often off of the mark, he has it.

He is still young, and maturing. I hope that maturity helps him become more selective with his words, and him deleting his Twitter. The one thing the guy does have is some ****ing stones.

I love Lee, but Lee has had every opportunity to become a vocal leader and hasn't. That's ok, because it is not a role that all can embrace. Whitner is a leader, whether you like where he drafted himself or not.

Pat, you take an insane amount of criticism for every thing you type on this board. People that don't have a hair in their ass to do what you do, but would love to, are beyond crass in their posts directed at you. I would think that you would be a little more sensitive to people laughing at you, and relate with Whitner a little here.

I guess that the fact that this team has been bad for a decade has turned it's own fans against them. I get my share of ****, but I never laugh it off. Sure, ten years, of "I think we have a chance," or "we're showing improvement," or "this, too, shall pass" is getting old.

I know a lot of Browns fans, and they do the same thing. They look like pussies for it. It's similar to if you have a relative that has a shortcoming...and somebody is making fun of them, and you pile on, because you don't want to be embarrassed. Coward ****.

Good for you, Donte. I am glad your tired of getting laughed at. Us too. Now why don't you get the guys around you fired up, come out on Sunday and BEAT THE ****ING PATS* FOR ONCE. I won't say shut up, but you've said your piece...now put up.

Beebe's Kid
09-23-2010, 10:40 AM
ok so is he actually complaining about other teams laughing or is he saying that they need to step up and stop being the butt of the jokes? i feel like people are taking him completely out of context orrrrr maybe it's just me.

It's not you. It's the pile on mentality. He is saying exactly what you think he's saying. "It's time to put an end to this ****." Now, what are you going to do to end it.

Worst SS in the league? Seriously? Come the **** on, man.

Thief
09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Funny, yet technically accurate.. I said "better part" because there was at least a season or two thrown in there where we were legitimately in the playoff race until the end of the season; something not all fans were overly disapointed about.I don't know, I think I was fairly "overly disappointed" when the Steeler's backups whooped the Bills in there only real shot at the playoffs all decade.

don137
09-23-2010, 11:27 AM
That's the thing even when they went to Super Bowls we get laughed at for how they performed in them... I just laugh it off and say I cannot control the product on the field only the players, coaches and owner. I still will not change my allegance though. I was born a Bills fan and am a Bills fan for life (as long as they stay in Buffalo).

DraftBoy
09-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Technically that is incorrect because Super Bowl is two words.

Eh, that's all I got though.

Yea Ive responded with that...doesn't work.

trapezeus
09-23-2010, 11:29 AM
i wish the outcome of their frustration is that they just became a dirty team. a team known for super late hits, questionable tactics. Something that got into the heads of the opponents. God knows they can't actually out talent a team at this point.

might as well not play right into the opponents plans. it's better to go down with a handful of prideful 15 yard penalties than a bunch of 5-10 yard penalties that just shows how pathetic you are.

RockStar36
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Yea Ive responded with that...doesn't work.

So I've found out.

Although most times I'm arguing with Steelers fans, so actual facts and grammar go out the window.

DynaPaul
09-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Awwwww... boo hoo. They're laughing at us!

Great Whitner, now you know what it's like to be a fan who supports your lousy ass season after season.

stuckincincy
09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
i wish the outcome of their frustration is that they just became a dirty team. a team known for super late hits, questionable tactics. Something that got into the heads of the opponents. God knows they can't actually out talent a team at this point.

might as well not play right into the opponents plans. it's better to go down with a handful of prideful 15 yard penalties than a bunch of 5-10 yard penalties that just shows how pathetic you are.

Careful there. I recall game#2 last season, where Mitchell hit TB's Leftwich with a totally gratuitous hard forearm to the throat, totally unnecessary in a game already won. Leftwich - and me - were stunned that a personal foul and and an ejection didn't happen.

I recall saying to my wife...every team, the players, sees films and knows what's what. That there would be no let-up on BUF players, and predicted that they would suffer a lot of injuries.

Historian
09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Mabe they need Chan to stick up for them....

:snicker:

trapezeus
09-23-2010, 01:05 PM
we already take injuries, we already suck. what's the harm.

get a little swagger in your step. that's what we are relegated to at this point.

it's totally classless. i admit that, but having class and losing 10 years and getting different excuses has grown tiresome. go down swinging in this 0-16 season.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Can we please put Scott in there to start, you know a SS that can actually cover a tightend.

jpdex12
09-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Oh and don't forget about the "what area code do you live in? 044?"

SabreEleven
09-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Never heard that one.

NextbillsQB
09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
You dont really need to laugh at our D, its our O thats the joke

imbondz
09-23-2010, 03:00 PM

lol

stuckincincy
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
You dont really need to laugh at our D, its our O thats the joke

"Maybin gets around 5 sacks."

...only if he's making a run to White Castle during a practice session - every day.

:zonelunch

G Wolly
09-23-2010, 03:04 PM
whitner is the worst starting SS in the league been saying it for 3 years now
tell me what are his strength's? beside's his mouth

His twittering thumbs