PDA

View Full Version : Steve Young on Bills on Sports Center

baalworship
09-23-2010, 01:51 PM
They had a segment on Sports Center where they asked Steve Young who should start, Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

He laughed and instead of answering the question ripped the Bills for having 8 months to watch all the quarterbacks during the off-season and not knowing who was the best one.

He also made the point that all those reps in the off-season were valuable and should not have been wasted.

Steve Young is one of the smartest ex-players and he is right.

Bangarang
09-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Everyone laughs at us. We'll get the last laugh though when we almost make the playoffs in 10 years.

justasportsfan
09-23-2010, 01:58 PM
It's easy to play coach when you're not there yourself.

Does this mean Andy Reid should be laughed at because he decided to go with Vick after claiming all offseason long that Kolb was his qb?

patmoran2006
09-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Does this mean Andy Reid should be laughed at because he decided to go with Vick after claiming all offseason long that Kolb was his qb?

The difference between Reid and Gailey is Reid's dilema is which of his quarterback is better.. The Bills dilema is which of the Bills QB's is the lesser of two (3) evils.

He's absolutely right.. We had eight months to either draft a QB early, mid or late that could stick on the roster, sign a FA or swing a trade for someone available. And after all that time this organization concluded Edwards, Fitz and Brohm were the most viable candidates.. Inexcusable.

Commissioner
09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
The difference between Reid and Gailey is Reid's dilema is which of his quarterback is better.. The Bills dilema is which of the Bills QB's is the lesser of two (3) evils.

He's absolutely right.. We had eight months to either draft a QB early, mid or late that could stick on the roster, sign a FA or swing a trade for someone available. And after all that time this organization concluded Edwards, Fitz and Brohm were the most viable candidates.. Inexcusable.

Reid traded Washington to division rival proclaiming Kolb as the starter... and even said he was the starter Monday before doing a 180.

patmoran2006
09-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Reid traded Washington to division rival proclaiming Kolb as the starter... and even said he was the starter Monday before doing a 180.
I understand. My point was that he feels both Kolb and Vick can get the job done, while conversely though he'll never admit Gailey has zero confidence in Edwards or Fitzpatrick.. If he had any confidence in Fitz, he'd already have been starting or at the very least not have had to hold on all of preseason for a roster spot.

I don't know if you put the 2010 Bills QB situation on Gailey for thinking he had enough talent already, or on Nix for the same reason.. But its on one of those two for sure. Steve Young is right, almost any offseason move would've bettered the position, except for of course wasting a 7th rounder on Levi Brown, who couldn't even crack the practice squad.

Which again, is Evaluation101.. How in the hell can you scout and draft a QB long-term prospect and conclude its levi Brown, and then not even have him make your PS?

justasportsfan
09-23-2010, 02:07 PM
The difference between Reid and Gailey is Reid's dilema is which of his quarterback is better.. The Bills dilema is which of the Bills QB's is the lesser of two (3) evils..Andy Reid has had his qb's since last year. He's had more time to assess both and only now he's switching qb's?

Gailey has NEVER had the chance to see his qb's on gameday FIRST HAND. As what was said in his presser , the difference between the qb's were not that far off. Only now is he learning that Trent is NOT a GAMEDAY qb but a camp qb. HOw can you know that until they play on gameday?

Again, Reid had had more than 8 months. If a PROVEN coach like Reid can't get it right in that time, you can't expect a coach to get it all right in his first few months with his team which is rebuilding.

justasportsfan
09-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I understand. My point was that he feels both Kolb and Vick can get the job done,

that has NOTHING to do with Gaileys decision changes.

kingJofNYC
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Which FA should they have signed?

Swing a trade for a QB, which one? They didn't even make a move for Jammal Brown, which was only a 3rd/2nd depending on performance/health, and he would have helped this team for a longer duration than some stop gap QB.

Edwards a is smart guy, works hard, looks good in practice, and Chan & Co bought it in. Once the bullets started flying he reverted to the same old player. The light may have gone on in the film room/practice field, but it turned off as soon as he stepped foot on the field.

If you want to upgrade the QB position there's only one way, tank and draft one. **** that 7-9/6-10 ****, this is the perfect season to tank if you need a QB. And if Luck/Mallett don't come out, we still won't have a viable QB which would put us at the top the following season.

Teams like the Blackhawks/Capitals/Penguins/Tampa Bay Rays didn't suddenly field good teams by signing or trading for Vets, they tanked and built from the ground up. I'm more concerned about who's evaluating personnel than some meaningless stop gap QB we didn't sign.

justasportsfan
09-23-2010, 02:12 PM
BTW, both Whisenhunt and Fisher made qb's switches in the last minute and they too have had more time than Gailey to assess their qb's.

DraftBoy
09-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Young is 100% right about the Bills, but in our defense its hard to tell most times which of our options suck the least.

Pinkerton Security
09-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Here's the thing...I think 95% of us thought, from the preseason, that Trent was our best option going into the regular season. However, then we suddenly get into actual games and WOAH WHATS THIS!! The defenses actually start blitzing!!! And of course Trent wilts under pressure. Trent has the highest upside of all our starters, but that upside is very unlikely to ever be achieved, especially in Buffalo. He needs a very good line, and even with one he will still be a borderline starter at best.

I am just saying, Trent was probably our safest bet and he failed miserably.

Also, people in this thread are saying this is different than Reid because he got to choose between 2 good Qbs, but in fact Gailey's job and starting QB decision was much, much harder than Reid's, because honestly no matter what decision Gailey made, he was likely to fail.

kingJofNYC
09-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Which again, is Evaluation101.. How in the hell can you scout and draft a QB long-term prospect and conclude its levi Brown, and then not even have him make your PS?

The only group who concluded he was viable long term were delusional Bills fans, 7th rounders are fodder. You sometimes find a diamond in the rough, but more often than not they're on the street at the end of camp. Seriously, I can't recall a single rational fan who thought Brown was a long term solution/prospect. Delusion at its finest.

justasportsfan
09-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Also, people in this thread are saying this is different than Reid because he got to choose between 2 good Qbs, but in fact Gailey's job and starting QB decision was much, much harder than Reid's, because honestly no matter what decision Gailey made, he was likely to fail.

:up:

Gailey is still learning things about the players he inherited.

It took an injury to Bledsoe for BB to realize Brady was his man.

patmoran2006
09-23-2010, 02:21 PM
The only group who concluded he was viable long term were delusional Bills fans, 7th rounders are fodder. You sometimes find a diamond in the rough, but more often than not they're on the street at the end of camp. Seriously, I can't recall a single rational fan who thought Brown was a long term solution/prospect. Delusion at its finest.

I never thought Brown was a long term solution. But at least use your first draft pick on a QB as a guy you can develop into a possible viable backup.

Not a guy who cant stick on the PS

justasportsfan
09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I never thought Brown was a long term solution. But at least use your first draft pick on a QB as a guy you can develop into a possible viable backup.
Not a guy who cant stick on the PS

What? Use your 1st draft pick on someone who might devlop into a back up?

I thought you use your 1st draft pick on a qb who might be a franchise qb.

RockStar36
09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Uh oh, Steve Young laughed at the Bills? Don't tell Donte Whitner, he might tweet about it.

TacklingDummy
09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Young laughed because they both equally suck.

Beebe's Kid
09-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Swing a trade for a QB, which one? They didn't even make a move for Jammal Brown, which was only a 3rd/2nd depending on performance/health, and he would have helped this team for a longer duration than some stop gap QB.

Edwards a is smart guy, works hard, looks good in practice, and Chan & Co bought it in. Once the bullets started flying he reverted to the same old player. The light may have gone on in the film room/practice field, but it turned off as soon as he stepped foot on the field.

If you want to upgrade the QB position there's only one way, tank and draft one. **** that 7-9/6-10 ****, this is the perfect season to tank if you need a QB. And if Luck/Mallett don't come out, we still won't have a viable QB which would put us at the top the following season.

Teams like the Blackhawks/Capitals/Penguins/Tampa Bay Rays didn't suddenly field good teams by signing or trading for Vets, they tanked and built from the ground up. I'm more concerned about who's evaluating personnel than some meaningless stop gap QB we didn't sign.

^^ A lot of this...minus the tanking part.

Does anybody here really feel that Trent didn't look to be picking up steam during the preaseason? After the Cincinnati game, you didn't think for one second..."****, maybe he can pull this off?"

I did. I was done with Trent last year. I was never going to hang my hat there again...I wanted Brohm to win the job. I wanted Edwards cut. Skins game, he looked a little better than last year, but still like ****. The Colts game, people started singing the praises...he threw one good pass, and it was a play action where Indy bit on the run. He looked better, but again...that was saying little.

Then the Cincy game...he looked like a QB. It looked really promising.

I missed the Detroit game, as it was my anniversary (I should say I didn't watch it...I was watching GameTracker on my phone.)

The accounts from other players, the fans that attended practices, and Trent himself, sounded good. It looked like there was confidence, finally. Confidence is his issue. Period, and when they reset the standings and turned on the scoreboard...Trent went tits up.

It is really easy to say I told you so.

I can never say I really was fired up to see him, but it looked like was going to be much improved and might blossom into a leader.

Gailey isn't a piss poor talent evaluator, or a poor coach. Let's judge by how the game looks on Sunday.

If they would have let us go to 0-8 before making a change...that's poor evaluation. We will probably see a whole new set of plays, because we'll be able to make somebody, at least in part, respect the pass.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-23-2010, 02:43 PM
It's not Gaileys fault that he got suckered into Trent playing well vs. Vanilla defenses. Unfortuanatly once they put some live ammo in the guns he realized Trent could do nothing more than be a scared little boy and not fight back.

G Wolly
09-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Uh oh, Steve Young laughed at the Bills? Don't tell Donte Whitner, he might tweet about it.

And then get scared and hold back when going in to make a hit.

better days
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM

While Vick played well in 2 games, it does not mean he will play well an entire season. And Kold may be even worse than Trent. Trent won the first 5 games a couple years ago, look at him now.

stuckincincy
09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
^^ A lot of this...minus the tanking part.

Then the Cincy game...he looked like a QB. It looked really promising.

CIN sat most all starters and planned-on reserves before the 1st quarter ended. It was their 4th ps game, having played in the HOF game this season.

IIRC, BUF had their starters in most all of the 1st half. CIN was flagged 8 times for 82 yards in the 1st half, BUF was flagged once for 5 yards.

trapezeus
09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
don't tell whitner than an ex football legend laughed at the team. Whitner might pick up his toys and head home.

EDS
09-23-2010, 03:57 PM

Well, the difference with the Eagles is that Vick played as a result of an injury and produced such that Reid decided to go with the hot hand. Chan is just making a move in the hopes it produces something.

justasportsfan
09-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, the difference with the Eagles is that Vick played as a result of an injury and produced such that Reid decided to go with the hot hand. Chan is just making a move in the hopes it produces something.
what about Fisher , Whisenhunt and John Fox? Compared to those guys Gailey hasn't been with his team as long as they have?

does it matter how Vick became the qb? The question is, how could any of the coaches know how the qb's will perform until they play the games?

Reid should have known that Vick would perform as well as he has , but he didn't. So if he didn't how can anyone expect Gailey to know when those PROVEN coaches didn't despite being with their respective teams longer.

justasportsfan
09-23-2010, 05:47 PM
The Panthers turned to Clausen in response to Moore's continued early-season struggles, leaving the quarterback situation up in the air following a 20-7 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that dropped the Panthers to 0-2.

"I can't make that decision at this point," head coach John Fox said when asked who would start under center against the Cincinnati Bengals. "Matt has not been benched by any stretch. We'll go with whomever gives us the best chance to win next week, and that will take some time (to figure out)."

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/Strickly-Panthers-Quarterback-quandary/ea0f14e1-dc7a-47d0-ba72-5b8a9d3c0a1f

raphael120
09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Here's the thing...I think 95% of us thought, from the preseason, that Trent was our best option going into the regular season. However, then we suddenly get into actual games and WOAH WHATS THIS!! The defenses actually start blitzing!!! And of course Trent wilts under pressure.

Gailey couldn't have gone back, watched the 2 years of tape that shows he does this. And he didn't look back at last year to see that Trent was pulled as the starter not once, but twice?

If you ask me, Gailey handed this job prematurely to Trent. Meanwhile we should have at least gone out and gotten one QB from the outside, I don't care who it is either. Trent, Fitz, and to an extent Brohm are all known quantities in that they all are career backups and have no business starting in the league.

dannyek71
09-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Our tackles and QBs suck this year. Big surprise. Did Chan/Buddy even LOOK at the roster they inherited.

Nice offseason/draft.

airdog32
09-24-2010, 04:52 AM

As I have stated before Brunell or Bulger even Derek anderson would of been an improvment for this team, even look at Shaun Hill in DET. There are viable canidates each year but we never pull the trigger and sign guys other than backups and put hope in them that they can be a true#1!

Bill Cody
09-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Here's the thing...I think 95% of us thought, from the preseason, that Trent was our best option going into the regular season. However, then we suddenly get into actual games and WOAH WHATS THIS!! The defenses actually start blitzing!!!

It shouldn't be allowed. Count to 5 Mississippi and if you get to the QB grab his flag. I'm telling you, with those couple minor rule changes Trent is headed to the hall.

Bill Cody
09-24-2010, 09:20 AM
what about Fisher , Whisenhunt and John Fox? Compared to those guys Gailey hasn't been with his team as long as they have?

does it matter how Vick became the qb? The question is, how could any of the coaches know how the qb's will perform until they play the games?

Reid should have known that Vick would perform as well as he has , but he didn't. So if he didn't how can anyone expect Gailey to know when those PROVEN coaches didn't despite being with their respective teams longer.

Our QB's are all proven. Proven to suck. It's not important who he picked. There are all sad choices. How do you make the "right" choice if they're all terrible?

justasportsfan
09-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Our QB's are all proven. Proven to suck. It's not important who he picked. There are all sad choices. How do you make the "right" choice if they're all terrible?

whether or not they are terrible is not the issue. We know they suck. We know they are all unproven. It's common knowledge.

It's Steve Young implying that Gailey should have already known who in our line-up should have been the qb after 8 months. Other coaches who have been with their team longer haven't figured it out yet.

dasaybz
09-24-2010, 10:53 AM
What are we supposed to do, just let Trent sit there and look like **** in games? Chan must of liked what he saw from him in practice and the preseason. Everybody knows that Trent is a good looking practice QB, but he is brutal when the live bullets fly.

I'll give Chandler credit for switching his QBs and not just letting Trent do nothing on the field.

Bill Cody
09-24-2010, 02:10 PM
whether or not they are terrible is not the issue. We know they suck. We know they are all unproven. It's common knowledge.

It's Steve Young implying that Gailey should have already known who in our line-up should have been the qb after 8 months. Other coaches who have been with their team longer haven't figured it out yet.

I think Gailey should have known we had no real options on our roster. Brohm is the only one who he wouldn't have seen enough to know that. How many games of Trent and Fitz do you have to say before you've seen enough? Seriously.

justasportsfan
09-24-2010, 03:07 PM
I think Gailey should have known we had no real options on our roster. Brohm is the only one who he wouldn't have seen enough to know that. How many games of Trent and Fitz do you have to say before you've seen enough? Seriously.

there wasn't any other FRANCHISE QB out there available. McNabb didn't want to come here.

I can only assume that Gailey and Nix were hoping for someone already on the team to hold the fort down til we draft a qb next year.

better days
09-24-2010, 03:15 PM

The answer in Trents case was 2 games. I think Chan thought like some on this board that with good coaching Trent could be good. Well, like some on this board, Chan was wrong. At least he admitted his mistake.

Beebe's Kid
09-24-2010, 05:35 PM
While Vick played well in 2 games, it does not mean he will play well an entire season. And Kold may be even worse than Trent. Trent won the first 5 games a couple years ago, look at him now.
I am all to aware of this. I was simply stating he looked like he may be better, or at least have a little confidence. We were being told he looked good, and I am saying that wD the only evidence I had to support that, that I was able to see with my own eyes.

Cleveland's D made him look foolish last year, and they were hardly a powerhouse...

I keep reading that Brohm and Fitzy are "known" quantity...who "knows" this? Fitzy looked to get better and better as the season went in last year, and he was the QB for 5 of our wins. He looked sharp in the preseason. He is still young, and has performed half way decent, while showing improvement, when asked to play. He also played behind our completely deteriorated line.

To tell me what anybody "knows" about Brohm is nuts. Can anybody, honestly, say he didn't look more like a QB than the others in PS? He threw to receivers on routes that we haven't seen completed in anoint time. I know it was 3rd stringers, but threw timing routes, and slants, etc.

Brohm didn't impress the coaches enough, or they don't feel he is polished enough to beat the other 2. We were definitely keeping Brown, until they couldn't cut Brohm. That is all we "know" about Brohm.

I am saying we look different with Fitzy this week. We haven't thrown the ball, minus the hurry up drive against Miami. That's it.

I know this is crazy, but a respectable time to start mixing up the play calling is, one of two time: when you have momentum (preferably with a lead,) or on 2nd and short. Neither of which have we achieved all year. If we can do either/or and still look like a Dick team...then start passing judgement.

unpaid_bills
09-24-2010, 11:02 PM
are you comparing either one of our 3 QBs to Vick or Kolb? Anyone one of the 3 would have a hard time making it as a 3rd stringer on most teams. None of the 3 should be starters. The Bills lack 3 key things thats why they have been horrible to mediocre the past 10+ years. OL and DL and inconsistent QB play not a leader. When the Bills were good they had a Hall of Fame QB, several good OL and DL with Bruce Smith, etc. Football is not that hard get an OL than can protect your QB and a DL.

TigerJ
09-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Gailey and Nix had the benefit of the Bills' film record from last season. It's not rocket science to figure out what he was doing. TThe real question for me is: Was it reasonable for Gailey to think that he could help Edwards fix the things he was doing wrong? I certainly am not equipped to answer that question. I suspect that sometimes a good coach can fix a QB that has gone bad, sometimes they can't. Ultimately, the QB himself has a good deal to do with whether his game can be rehabbed or not.

If Gailey had been able to salvage Edwards as an NFL caliber QB, it would have been to the benefit of the team because it would save having to use draft choices roster spots and money to go out and find yet another candidate to be the QB of the future. Untortunately, all that wishful thinking is for naught, as it appears Edwards is permanently crap as an NFL QB.