PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Bills fan or Buffalo fan?

NextbillsQB
09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Its a very similar question with two completely different choices. When I use the term Bills fan I mean, are you a fan of the Bills franchise, you would support them if they were here or anywhere else. You like the team team, and would never stop rooting for them. A Buffalo fan is a fan of the base city and will root for them no matter what and differenciates the team to the city. If they leave you will go and root for possibly a new NY team. So the question is, are you a bills fan or buffalo fan?

G Wolly
09-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Buffalo fan.

If I were around during the time of the Braves I'm sure I'd be a die-hard.

But when they moved to LA to become the Clippers, who gives a ****?

And the Destroyers moving to Columbus. I loved watching the Destroyers games from time to time, but after that I watched a handful of games since.

Same with the Colts moving out of Baltimore, to get the Ravens franchise 15 or so years later.

I'm sure majority of times a fan is a fan because of the city, not the team.

trapezeus
09-23-2010, 03:32 PM
for the time being they are connected and i am both.

If the bills move out of buffalo and not toronto, i'm done with them regardless if they remain the bills or not.

if they go to toronto but maintain the colors and the history, i may root for them, but less likely.

LtFinFan66
09-23-2010, 03:33 PM
c. neither

NextbillsQB
09-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Buffalo fan.

If I were around during the time of the Braves I'm sure I'd be a die-hard.

But when they moved to Portland to become the Trailblazers, who gives a ****?

And the Destroyers moving to Columbus. I loved watching the Destroyers games from time to time, but after that I watched a handful of games since.

Same with the Colts moving out of Baltimore, to get the Ravens franchise 15 or so years later.

I'm sure majority of times a fan is a fan because of the city, not the team.

Braves became the Clippers

NextbillsQB
09-23-2010, 03:34 PM
c. neither

:cheers:

G Wolly
09-23-2010, 03:35 PM

I mix up the ****ty NBA teams frequently.

NextbillsQB
09-23-2010, 03:36 PM
I mix up the ****ty NBA teams frequently.

I havent watched Port in like 2-3 years but last time I saw them they were doing well, and I think made the P-offs. Gred Oden just got on the team at that time

ddaryl
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Buffalo fan who is now living on the left coast.

My heart and soul is attached to the Buffalo in Bills, and the Buffalo in Sabres

ddaryl
09-23-2010, 03:39 PM
c. neither

you're a Bills fan.. that's why you spend so much time over here....

LtFinFan66
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
you're a Bills fan.. that's why you spend so much time over here....you guys wish you had a quality fan like me:up:

ddaryl
09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
you guys wish you had a quality fan like me:up:

wait for it...

............... for us to poop on :cheers:

wmoz11
09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
No connection to WNY.

Bills fan.

wozrob11
09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
im not from new york im in ct and believe me bills fans here are a dying breed . i would follow them anywhere but canada. i mean i would still be a fan but not into it as much! if they had to go i would hope L.A even if they changed the name. big market=big money=top players and free agents=playoffs=eventually superbowl and hopefully then superbowl win.i know i know washington and dallas are big markets and havent done jack but at least there in the running sometimes. and all we re doing is spiraling down but gotta BILLieve right goooooo bills.

SABuffalo786
09-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Buffalo, hands down.

The NFL is **** and I really couldn't give a **** about ANY of the players or coaches on the team right now. The 90s are over - there are no more Eternal Bills legends. There are no more guys who embrace the fans and the city

They're a bunch of spoiled mercenaries wearing our colors. So **** 'em. All of 'em.

Let's Go Buffalo

ZAZusmc03
09-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I voted as bills fan before actually reading What differentiated the choices. With that being said, I'm a Buffalo fan. If the team moves I would want to do what the brown's did and.make sure the.Buffalo bills records and history stayed put, in hopes that someday we could find a way to get our team back eventually and restore al the records and history.

SABuffalo786
09-23-2010, 04:17 PM
If the Bills leave the NFL is completely and utterly dead to me. I'd go out of my way to make sure I don't funnel ANY kind of money towards that league (buying major sponsor's competitors products, not playing fantasy, etc...).

College ball and nothing else when it comes to gridiron.

TigerJ
09-23-2010, 04:49 PM
I answered "Bills fan." Having grown up 60 miles from Buffalo, and never having lived closer to Buffalo than about 25 miles, I have no particular affection for the city proper, other than the fact that it's usually been the closest city of any size. I rarely spend any time in Buffalo. I'm not sure how I'd feel if the Bills moved away. A lot would depend on how accessible their games were. I could certainly see myself being interested down the road if I retire and move near to what ever city they ended up located in.

ServoBillieves
09-23-2010, 05:00 PM
As stated before, they don't embrace fans or the team. They are guys thrown millions of dollars to wear our colors. They come to Buffalo. If they go to Los Angeles/Toronto/Wherever the hell, they aren't coming to my city anymore, they're going to another city, another name.

If it isn't the Buffalo Bills, it's not my team..

TacklingDummy
09-23-2010, 06:52 PM
C. Buffalo Bills fan. They are not the Bills without Buffalo.

Just like the Baltimore Ravens are not the Baltimore Browns.

Historian
09-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Buffalo fan.

YardRat
09-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Buffalo fan.

**** the Clippers, and if there is a shady spot in hell, I hope John Y. Brown and Paul Snyder never find it.

Yasgur's Farm
09-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Does anybody follow the LA Clippers?

Yasgur's Farm
09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
But I sure as hell remember Bob Kaufman, Elmore Smith, Bob McAdoo, Jim McMillan, Garfield Herd, Ernie Digregorio, Randy Smith, Nate Archibald, Adrian Dantley...

Yasgur's Farm
09-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Rick Azar: "We had a group put together, including myself, in hopes of purchasing the franchise from JYB but it just didn't work out."
JYB was a F'n Bastard!!

BillyT92679
09-23-2010, 08:44 PM
I grew up east of Syracuse, so I don't have a huge attachment to the city, though I live in the area now. I lived in the Syracuse area, the Utica area, the Rochester area and the Buffalo area, so I am truly an upstate NY person. Now I am not a big hockey/Sabres fan because I grew up with Syracuse basketball as my winter sport. The Sabres are really a local thing here... some Rochesterians dig them, but they don't have a ton of support throughout the rest of the upstate region.

But I LOVE the Bills as many Upstate NYers/Western NYers do... to me the Bills represent upstate NY, like Syracuse hoops does. It's a huge national sport played in a region that is my home. The Bills leaving would be yet another blow to an area I love... an area that has been battered economically and demographically for forty years. I really don't care about the franchise at all really (why should I? they have basically robbed me blind for years) I care about the franchise as a fabric of my homeland so to speak. If they left I would not not care about the franchise... I would actually hate the franchise.

BillyT92679
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
I am curious where the OP is from
the vibe I get from some (though not all, or even most) fans of the team who aren't from here is that they don't really understand the bond the team has to people from the region... it's deeper and more meaningful than people realize... the only team that's comparable would be Green Bay, but Buffalo fans are arguably even more passionate because we DON'T own the team... we live and die by them but they can leave really at any time, especially after 2012.

BillyT92679
09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Rick Azar: "We had a group put together, including myself, in hopes of purchasing the franchise from JYB but it just didn't work out."
JYB was a F'n Bastard!!
Well, he was a carpetbagger, but Snyder was in way over his head, and the Knoxes royally screwed the Braves over big time with scheduling.

I actually am Clippers fan, but it has nothing to do with the Braves (long before I knew they were the Braves.) I liked that they were the underdog in LA. I liked Larry Brown and Danny Manning a lot, and after the Bad Boy Pistons broke up (my first favorite NBA team) I liked the Clips ever since.

I bought a great book called Buffalo Home of the Braves. Really enlightening and insightful history of the team.

THATHURMANATOR
09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
This is an obvious answer. I am a Bills fan. If they leave Buffalo they are no longer the Bills.

T-Long
09-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Bills fan.

I'm from northwestern PA and root for the Penguins, Pirates, and Penn State.

G Wolly
09-23-2010, 11:01 PM
This is an obvious answer. I am a Bills fan. If they leave Buffalo they are no longer the Bills.

Like when the Colts left Baltimore and set up shop in Indy.

It's the same team, but it just isn't at the same time.

psubills62
09-23-2010, 11:22 PM
I have a limited connection to WNY. I did grow up there, but rarely visited the city of Buffalo.

I became a Bills fan first, but through that I'm becoming more connected to the city. I started following the Sabres a little during the offseason, and I don't mind cheering for UB to win. In the end, I'm a Bills fan, though.

SabreEleven
09-24-2010, 07:10 AM

And they moved to San Diego first before LA but it's a good thing they moved because they would have just added to the Buffalo punchline.

NorthCarBills
09-24-2010, 07:35 AM
I had to answer Bills fan. I was born in upstate NY but grew up in NC. I travel up for a game a year, and do have admiration for the people who live there. But most of my loyalty is to the team and not the city. I will say that if they moved from Buffalo I would not continue supporting the team in their new location.

Dujek
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Obviously being from the far side of the Atlantic I'd have to say I'm a Bills fan. However if the team were to move from Buffalo I would stop being a fan, as I really dislike franchises who move away from any area leaving their fans in the lurch.

There is a special place reserved in hell for those people.

Jan Reimers
09-24-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm a Buffalo Bills fan, with the emphasis on Buffalo. If they were to move, I would have to think seriously about continuing to root for them. Given a "fresh start," I just might choose a team with a little better record of success.

RoscoeMagic
09-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I consider myself a Bills fan, not being from the area. But my dad raised me on liking the Bills so they're in my blood. If the Bills moved locations and changed their name I don't know what I'd do. Depends where they move I guess. If it's LA, I'd have a hard time rooting for them with the same pitiful Dodgers/Angels/Lakers/Clippers fans out there. Toronto, maybe I could root for that. If they did move somewhere though I'd probably just be a football fan for a year or two before getting my bearings.

Philagape
09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Why on earth would I be a Bills fan if it were not for the geographical connection?
I never chose them, they were indoctrinated into me since birth. I'm hopelessly attached.
It really is like family; you can't choose your family but you still love them.
To give another example, my favorite baseball team is the Baltimore Orioles, because of family there. How pathetic.
If the Bills left, it would be a disowning. It would be sad, of course, but at the same time a relief, since I would no longer have any obligating connection to such a disgraceful franchise (and watch, a new owner will turn them around somewhere else).
If that happened, I'd probably become a Tampa Bay Bucs fan, since I have family connections to that area.

Extremebillsfan247
09-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Its a very similar question with two completely different choices. When I use the term Bills fan I mean, are you a fan of the Bills franchise, you would support them if they were here or anywhere else. You like the team team, and would never stop rooting for them. A Buffalo fan is a fan of the base city and will root for them no matter what and differenciates the team to the city. If they leave you will go and root for possibly a new NY team. So the question is, are you a bills fan or buffalo fan?

I'm a big fan of the Buffalo Bills and have been since the late 1970s. But I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a fan of Buffalo area sports teams in general because I do not come from there. The Bills are the only team from your area that I attach myself to. Without them, the entire WNY area would be nothing more than a blip on my mapquest. I don't think I could be more honest than that.

However, if this team were to leave Buffalo, I don't think I would follow this sport anymore. The team has been in my life for too long. That would be like having a marriage last for almost 40 years, just to see your spouse turn around and carry a different last name. Sorry but that doesn't work for me. I couldn't come up with a more fitting analogy so that will have to do. lol Hope it makes some sense anyway. JMO

DraftBoy
09-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I was born in Buffalo and despite having family still in the area I dont have much feeling for the city or area itself. So Im not a Buffalo fan, I wish it the best but its only because the Bills are there.

Yasgur's Farm
09-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I actually am Clippers fan, but it has nothing to do with the Braves (long before I knew they were the Braves.) I liked that they were the underdog in LA. I liked Larry Brown and Danny Manning a lot, and after the Bad Boy Pistons broke up (my first favorite NBA team) I liked the Clips ever since.I couldn't tell you 1 player from the Braves/Clippers once they left Buffalo... I guess that sort of answers the OP.

DraftBoy
09-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I couldn't tell you 1 player from the Braves/Clippers once they left Buffalo... I guess that sort of answers the OP.

For the record the Clippers are a very big sleeper team in the NBA's Western Conference this year. Could surprise some people with Griffin back healthy.

spacecowboy
09-24-2010, 11:19 AM
im not from new york im in ct and believe me bills fans here are a dying breed . i would follow them anywhere but canada. i mean i would still be a fan but not into it as much! if they had to go i would hope L.A even if they changed the name. big market=big money=top players and free agents=playoffs=eventually superbowl and hopefully then superbowl win.i know i know washington and dallas are big markets and havent done jack but at least there in the running sometimes. and all we re doing is spiraling down but gotta BILLieve right goooooo bills.

You'd follow them anywhere but Canada? What the hell does that mean? Have something against Canada?

DraftBoy
09-24-2010, 11:21 AM
You'd follow them anywhere but Canada? What the hell does that mean? Have something against Canada?

I think the first issue would be that its Canada.

Pinkerton Security
09-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Yeah, Canada is worthless.

bluerosekiller
09-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Actually, Toronto, Ontario, Canada is probably the only place the Bills COULD move to where I'd still remain such a diehard fan.

When my Father's family moved here from England back in the early 1900's, half of them settled in Buffalo & half of them settled in southern Ontario, so...

That's why I answered that I'm a Bills fan rather than a Buffalo fan.
But, if they moved somewhere other than Toronto like LA for instance?
I really can't answer that question.
While I can't envision myself cheering for any other NFL team wholeheartedly like I do the Bills, I'd probably be too bitter were they to relocate to elsewhere in the States.
Maybe I'd eventually be forgiving enough to begin following them again after a period of time, but then again, maybe not.

feldspar
09-24-2010, 12:26 PM
If the Bills ever move out of Western New York, I will actually root against them every week. Unless it happens, it's hard to say, but I think I'd actually hate the relocated Bills more than the Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins combined.

By the way, the subject of the thread is kind of wacky, to be kind. Yeah, I'm a Bills fan because I'm from Buffalo and like football. I didn't have a choice of which team to root for, especially since my family has a history of working for that organization. If you separate the Bills from Buffalo, you don't have the Buffalo Bills, and they are therefore a different team. If they move from Buffalo, why in the world would they have a Buffalo on the helmet? Different uniforms and different name equals different team.

psubills62
09-24-2010, 12:30 PM
There's something that's been bugging me about the Bills moving. I'd kind of like to know what people's thoughts about it is:

If the Bills did move from Buffalo, why wouldn't the NFL bring a team back to Buffalo?

Am I wrong, or has the NFL brought a team back to pretty much every city that it's ever been in? I have far from a complete memory on the topic, but off the top of my head, Houston, LA, St. Louis, Baltimore, Cleveland. I think the last one is the most relevant to our situation - a sucky team that has not really done anything recently to be competitive.

Why did the NFL bring a team back to Cleveland? Is that city so great at generating revenue? What makes Cleveland's situation so much different from Buffalo's?

I understand the reasons the Bills very well could move from Buffalo, but history seems to show that the NFL returns to the cities it leaves. Why wouldn't that be the same with Buffalo?

Extremebillsfan247
09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
There's something that's been bugging me about the Bills moving. I'd kind of like to know what people's thoughts about it is:

If the Bills did move from Buffalo, why wouldn't the NFL bring a team back to Buffalo?

Am I wrong, or has the NFL brought a team back to pretty much every city that it's ever been in? I have far from a complete memory on the topic, but off the top of my head, Houston, LA, St. Louis, Baltimore, Cleveland. I think the last one is the most relevant to our situation - a sucky team that has not really done anything recently to be competitive.

Why did the NFL bring a team back to Cleveland? Is that city so great at generating revenue? What makes Cleveland's situation so much different from Buffalo's?

I understand the reasons the Bills very well could move from Buffalo, but history seems to show that the NFL returns to the cities it leaves. Why wouldn't that be the same with Buffalo? What if the Bills got moved to Maine? lmao.. How awkward would that be?

better days
09-24-2010, 03:17 PM
For the record the Clippers are a very big sleeper team in the NBA's Western Conference this year. Could surprise some people with Griffin back healthy.

For the record I doubt ANYBODY from Buffalo cares.

I will bet not even one person in WNY buys the NBA package to watch the Clippers. I think it would be the same with the Bills if they move. The only people that would follow them are pseudo fans of the team only & not really Buffalo Bills fans.

I don't understand why you pseudo fans don't just go root for another team NOW.

DraftBoy
09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
For the record I doubt ANYBODY from Buffalo cares.

I will bet not even one person in WNY buys the NBA package to watch the Clippers. I think it would be the same with the Bills if they move. The only people that would follow them are pseudo fans of the team only & not really Buffalo Bills fans.

I don't understand why you pseudo fans don't just go root for another team NOW.

Im sure somebody in Buffalo still cares and even if they don't, oh well. It was just free information.

As for pseudo fans, its usually the first ones to pull out the fan card argument that are some of the most fringe. Not saying you are or aren't just pointing out it is a weak ass argument.

Historian
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
And they moved to San Diego first before LA but it's a good thing they moved because they would have just added to the Buffalo punchline.

The Braves actually were swapped with the Celtics and several players ended up in Boston.

Whomever was left went to San Diego with the owner of the Celtics.

better days
09-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Im sure somebody in Buffalo still cares and even if they don't, oh well. It was just free information.

As for pseudo fans, its usually the first ones to pull out the fan card argument that are some of the most fringe. Not saying you are or aren't just pointing out it is a weak ass argument.

I have been a Bills fan since I was a 12 year old kid in 1964. I will be a Bills fan until I die or they move. I was also a Buffalo Braves fan until they moved.

Trust me NOBODY in W.N.Y. or from W.N.Y. cares about the Clippers, why would they? That is unless they moved to L.A.

better days
09-24-2010, 05:20 PM
The Braves actually were swapped with the Celtics and several players ended up in Boston.

Whomever was left went to San Diego with the owner of the Celtics.

Yeah thats right, so I guess former Braves fans should now be Celtic fans.

Well as long as we are Celtic fans, I guess we should root for the NFL team from the same area, so I guess we should all be Pats* fans.

spacecowboy
09-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, Canada is worthless.

Moron

SABuffalo786
09-25-2010, 10:43 AM

The NBA is a complete non-factor in Buffalo. ESPECIALLY the Clippers.

Teams=City and vice versa. I just could never cheer for players themselves. Most of them are scum (emphasis on most, not all). When I cheer for the Bills, I cheer for my city.

SABuffalo786
09-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Moron

Agreed. Plenty of Canucks help us sell out and keep the Bills viable.

G Wolly
09-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Moron

Now, now.

He may be onto something.