PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallet is better than any of the Bills QBs

Ebenezer
09-25-2010, 03:38 PM
There, I said it. On back to back passes Mallet is already showing more football sense and accuracy than any of the current Bills QBs.

Ebenezer
09-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Yup, I jinxed him. Disregard last post.

G Wolly
09-25-2010, 03:50 PM
College football and Professional are two different worlds.

DrGraves
09-25-2010, 04:08 PM
he is way better.

k-oneputt
09-25-2010, 04:16 PM
If that isn't an NFL qb then I guess I don't know what one is.
Mallett to the Bills.

YardRat
09-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I'd take Mallett or Luck over any of the guys we have, right now.

Ingtar33
09-25-2010, 04:33 PM
not a lot of time to watch either game (i'm Tivo'ing them though) but the little i've seen of Mallet today has sold me on him. ok all i'm out!

Scumbag College
09-25-2010, 04:47 PM
If the Bills get the first pick and for some reason pass on Mallet I would be absolutely flabbergasted. He looks like the best player on the field vs. Bama. Almost a man amongst boys.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-25-2010, 04:55 PM
College football and Professional are two different worlds.

I am not sure what that has to do with the fact that Mallet is better than any of the QBs on our team, it is still football, or the fact that both of these college teams could probably beat the Bills.

G Wolly
09-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, my point was sure he's better than the guys we have.

But he's playing football with kids in college, not professionals.

TacklingDummy
09-25-2010, 05:06 PM
With the 1st pick in the 2011 NFL the Buffalo Bills select Ryan Mallet QB from Arkansas University.

Scumbag College
09-25-2010, 05:08 PM
With the 1st pick in the 2011 NFL the Buffalo Bills select from Ryan Mallet QB Arkansas University.

Or reach for a Safety or skinny DE.

zone
09-25-2010, 05:33 PM
anyone that thinks we will be picking first in the draft needs to step away from the crack pipe.

Bangarang
09-25-2010, 05:36 PM
anyone that thinks we will be picking first in the draft needs to step away from the crack pipe.

Irony

Canadian'eh!
09-25-2010, 05:37 PM
the one series i watched Mallet threw 2 terrible passes in the redzone and the 2nd was picked off.

Luck looks ok, but he does not throw a very tight spiral.

Canadian'eh!
09-25-2010, 05:41 PM
3 point lead, 3rd and 11. just don't turn it over. Bad read, worse throw. INT.

Sorry... I don't see whatever you guys see.

Bangarang
09-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Sample size...

Mad Max
09-25-2010, 05:47 PM

These guys are all a work in progress. I see much more in Luck than I see in Mallett.

I also see one glaring weakness in Mallets game and that's his lack of touch..he zings all his passes at max velocity regardless of the distance his receiver is from him, ala young Brett Favre.

Canadian'eh!
09-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Nice job on the throw away.

Canadian'eh!
09-25-2010, 05:51 PM
He's Cutler like.

Bangarang
09-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice job on the throw away.
:hand:

Buffalogic
09-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Last two turnovers were ridic, so was the int in the endzone...Man I hope Luck declares for the draft.

kingJofNYC
09-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Last two turnovers were ridic, so was the int in the endzone...Man I hope Luck declares for the draft.

He hasn't looked much better against a pretty bad defense. 2 ints and Slaughter should have had another one in the redzone on a throw to the TE.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-25-2010, 06:01 PM

You don't see what a majority of football people don't see or just the people here? Because I have seen hundreds of places where they believe the kid can play. You can't base your opinion on him after a half of football against the best team in the country.

TacklingDummy
09-25-2010, 06:04 PM
He's Cutler like.The NFL leading passer. I'll take it.

Passing on Cutler was another mistake by the Bills.

Canadian'eh!
09-25-2010, 06:04 PM
You don't see what a majority of football people don't see or just the people here? Because I have seen hundreds of places where they believe the kid can play. You can't base your opinion on him after a half of football against the best team in the country.

And yet.. Here we are.

Canadian'eh!
09-25-2010, 06:05 PM
The NFL leading passer. I'll take it.

Passing on Cutler was another mistake by the Bills.

09 Cutler

kingJofNYC
09-25-2010, 06:08 PM
09 Cutler

Keep moving the goal posts.

What's your solution smart ass?

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-25-2010, 06:12 PM
And yet.. Here we are.

I get you, you are that guy that doesn't like any prospect and when they fail you can say that is what you thought. If they become great you keep quiet. So far you don't like Mallet or Luck.

Night Train
09-25-2010, 06:25 PM
He choked bigtime in the 2nd half, with the game on the line.

Not impressed with stats but rather how you react in the moment.

Today, he scored an F.

Next up, Andrew Luck..then Pryor...then...

kingJofNYC
09-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Pryor?...hahahaha

He's awful.

djjimkelly
09-25-2010, 06:47 PM
There, I said it. On back to back passes Mallet is already showing more football sense and accuracy than any of the current Bills QBs.

the sky is blue and the grass green and in other news the earth is round

Mr. Pink
09-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Mallet gave away a game today to a top college defense...

He wasn't even the best player on the field in that game.

PromoTheRobot
09-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Judging Mallett's performance today he'd be perfect for the Bills.

PTR

Commissioner
09-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Judging Mallett's performance today he'd be perfect for the Bills.

PTR

My roommate walked in the room.... and i said, check this kid out... The Buffalo Bills next QB. .. just as he threw his 2nd pick basically losing the game.

My roommate said... Looks like he'll fit right in.

hydro
09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Love what I saw from Luck today. Even with giving up his first INT of the season it didn't seem to bother him. So many factors go into him being a prototypical QB: Bloodlines (Dad was QB), great coach, cerebral and good under pressure. He has enough speed to gain a few yards when nothing is open down field.

X-Era
09-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Love what I saw from Luck today. Even with giving up his first INT of the season it didn't seem to bother him. So many factors go into him being a prototypical QB: Bloodlines (Dad was QB), great coach, cerebral and good under pressure. He has enough speed to gain a few yards when nothing is open down field.

1st 2 INT's you mean? He threw 2 INT's and 1 TD. And it wasn't against a top defense. I like him, and if we get the top pick Id love to draft him, but I'm not throwing as much into these games as many are.

hydro
09-25-2010, 08:01 PM
1st 2 INT's you mean? He threw 2 INT's and 1 TD. And it wasn't against a top defense. I like him, and if we get the top pick Id love to draft him, but I'm not throwing as much into these games as many are.

I know he had 2INTs but just brought up the first one which was his first of the season. I would think that would be a downer to most QBs with a streak like that. Didn't seem to affect him. I haven't said anything about his play on the field should anoint him a Heisman winner. I like the tools he has and hope to see him succeed.

I have been a fan of Mallet since last year when people weren't interested in him if he was in the 2010 draft. I knew he wasn't going to be ready but still loved his skill set. I would be glad to have either one of these guys on our team next season.

X-Era
09-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I know he had 2INTs but just brought up the first one which was his first of the season. I would think that would be a downer to most QBs with a streak like that. Didn't seem to affect him. I haven't said anything about his play on the field should anoint him a Heisman winner. I like the tools he has and hope to see him succeed.

I have been a fan of Mallet since last year when people weren't interested in him if he was in the 2010 draft. I knew he wasn't going to be ready but still loved his skill set. I would be glad to have either one of these guys on our team next season.
That is the deal. Its whether these guys can become a franchise QB for the Buffalo Bills. That's what we should be looking at.

Its individual play that matters, its the same for Locker who plays on a crappy team, Luck, Mallett, and all of the rest of them.

We need a franchise QB, if things continue on, either is worthy of being drafted high as a potential franchise QB.

tampabay25690
09-25-2010, 08:14 PM

EB how much College ball do u watch???
Yes he is good but behind our OL Mallett would be shot he has not speed at all to get outside.
If we were to draft a QB right now LOCKER would be the guy..............

tampabay25690
09-25-2010, 08:15 PM
That is the deal. Its whether these guys can become a franchise QB for the Buffalo Bills. That's what we should be looking at.

Its individual play that matters, its the same for Locker who plays on a crappy team, Luck, Mallett, and all of the rest of them.

We need a franchise QB, if things continue on, either is worthy of being drafted high as a potential franchise QB.

If we are looking for a franchise player that has the most upside that guy is....

JAKE LOCKER IMO

X-Era
09-25-2010, 08:20 PM
EB how much College ball do u watch???
Yes he is good but behind our OL Mallett would be shot he has not speed at all to get outside.
If we were to draft a QB right now LOCKER would be the guy..............
With all do respect, I disagree.

Mallet is a better decision maker right now, even with a few poor throws. The mental aspect is huge IMO. That's why Luck still holds the top spot... and Mallet is still the #2 QB in this draft. Locker has looked too clueless too much for my taste to be worthy of a high 1st pick. If we dont address the QB spot until the 2nd round or later, Lockers name should be in the mix. But to be honest, I still would take Gabbert over him IMO.

Locker brings athleticism. But I feel thats only half the game, the rest is mental and he hasn't shown the ability to command an offense and handle the pressure as well as either Mallett or Luck IMO.

tampabay25690
09-25-2010, 08:24 PM
With all do respect, I disagree.

Mallet is a better decision maker right now, even with a few poor throws. The mental aspect is huge IMO. That's why Luck still holds the top spot... and Mallet is still the #2 QB in this draft. Locker has looked too clueless too much for my taste to be worthy of a high 1st pick. If we dont address the QB spot until the 2nd round or later, Lockers name should be in the mix. But to be honest, I still would take Gabbert over him IMO.

Locker brings athleticism. But I feel thats only half the game, the rest is mental and he hasn't shown the ability to command an offense and handle the pressure as well as either Mallett or Luck IMO.

Cool
Mallet is good and plays in the best confernce in College ball but if Locker played on a team with players that can play we would be talking about him on ESPN all day....
I like LUCK as well but i want to see him play against teams that can rush the passer he played a Notre Dame team that deosnt have athletes anymore...

Still I have as my top 3 this year..

Locker
Luck
Mallet

X-Era
09-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Cool
Mallet is good and plays in the best confernce in College ball but if Locker played on a team with players that can play we would be talking about him on ESPN all day....
I like LUCK as well but i want to see him play against teams that can rush the passer he played a Notre Dame team that deosnt have athletes anymore...

Locker
Luck
Mallet

If its in that order I cant agree man. What has Locker done to show he's better than Luck or even Mallett?

Locker playing for a better team is something we will never see. I wish we could, but we cant. I can only judge him based on what he has done himself. And there have been too many times that he has just chucked the ball up there and gotten picked off. I think he relies too much on his ability to run and that it may get him injured in the NFL, but I really have a problem with his ability to go through progressions and find the open man.

Overall, he just hasn't shown the poise and ability to be the field general the way that I would have hoped. There is still time, but I haven't seen enough development since last year at this point.

tampabay25690
09-25-2010, 08:40 PM
If its in that order I cant agree man. What has Locker done to show he's better than Luck or even Mallett?

Locker playing for a better team is something we will never see. I wish we could, but we cant. I can only judge him based on what he has done himself. And there have been too many times that he has just chucked the ball up there and gotten picked off. I think he relies too much on his ability to run and that it may get him injured in the NFL, but I really have a problem with his ability to go through progressions and find the open man.

Overall, he just hasn't shown the poise and ability to be the field general the way that I would have hoped. There is still time, but I haven't seen enough development since last year at this point.

I have no probem at all that you don't agree...
Most probaly will say Mallet because he is all over ESPN right now.....
I agree he runs and thats because he plays on a poor team.....

The guy has every tool an NFL team would want and the guy can run...
Has a cannon of an arm.....
His Combine will show it all....
I know you study and watch College like I do I just luv to see everyone that is all over Mallet and Luck because thats all the show on TV....

I think Luck stays at school anyway with the whole lockout PROBABLY happeneing......We will see......

If the Bills got Locker, Luck, or Mallet I will not be mad at all...........

Ginger Vitis
09-25-2010, 08:47 PM
but if Locker played on a team with players that can play we would be talking about him on ESPN all day....

This argument was made for Trent Edwards and Jay Cutler when they were in college

X-Era
09-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I have no probem at all that you don't agree...
Most probaly will say Mallet because he is all over ESPN right now.....
I agree he runs and thats because he plays on a poor team.....

The guy has every tool an NFL team would want and the guy can run...
Has a cannon of an arm.....
His Combine will show it all....
I know you study and watch College like I do I just luv to see everyone that is all over Mallet and Luck because thats all the show on TV....

I think Luck stays at school anyway with the whole lockout PROBABLY happeneing......We will see......

If the Bills got Locker, Luck, or Mallet I will not be mad at all...........
I only worry about Locker because I wonder if he can ever "get it". People compare him to Steve young and I see the similarities. Yes, Steve was a great athlete and was similar in his ability to throw and run. But Steve was smart as well, he made strong decisions most of the time. He could command an offense and be the field general. Locker may be suffering from being on such a bad team. Maybe he has it inside him but cant show it due to his team. But, I just feel like the guy hasn't shown me enough of that ability. This whole decision may be the biggest one the Bills make in this new decade and it could affect us for years. And its about risk mitigation. Thats why Id like us to go after guys that show the mental part above all else. And if they show adequate aptitude there, they then should have a strong arm to deal with Buffalo weather. If he can just show me that he can stand in the pocket and pick apart a defense for a few weeks, against decent teams, I will start to re-believe in him.

tampabay25690
09-25-2010, 09:07 PM
This argument was made for Trent Edwards and Jay Cutler when they were in college

Great way to look at it....
Cutler reminds me a little of Locker......

Trent never did anything in College IMO never had a winning season did he????
But Josh Freeman never did either at KSU

tampabay25690
09-25-2010, 09:08 PM
WOW Trey Burton 6 TD'S just broke a FLORIDA record...............

tampabay25690
09-25-2010, 09:11 PM
I only worry about Locker because I wonder if he can ever "get it". People compare him to Steve young and I see the similarities. Yes, Steve was a great athlete and was similar in his ability to throw and run. But Steve was smart as well, he made strong decisions most of the time. He could command an offense and be the field general. Locker may be suffering from being on such a bad team. Maybe he has it inside him but cant show it due to his team. But, I just feel like the guy hasn't shown me enough of that ability. This whole decision may be the biggest one the Bills make in this new decade and it could affect us for years. And its about risk mitigation. Thats why Id like us to go after guys that show the mental part above all else. And if they show adequate aptitude there, they then should have a strong arm to deal with Buffalo weather. If he can just show me that he can stand in the pocket and pick apart a defense for a few weeks, against decent teams, I will start to re-believe in him.

You need to really look at his films..........
Guy has everything a franchise would want...
I really believe 150%% he will be a very good NFL QB....

X-Era
09-25-2010, 09:18 PM
You need to really look at his films..........
Guy has everything a franchise would want...
I really believe 150%% he will be a very good NFL QB....

Ive watched a lot man.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184177

It could just be you see something that Im not seeing. That happens a lot. Its not that one side is wrong or right, just two different feels for a guy. Time will show what he ends up being. I'm still kicking myslef in the ass for backing off on Max Hall who I really liked... It looks to me that he could be one of the best QB's out of this past draft. Maybe its making me want to stick to my guns more this year.

Besides, you wont hear me say Locker is un-draftable. I'm simply saying Id rather us pick Luck or Mallet if we have all 3 available. But when you get to our 2nd round pick, Locker makes a ton of sense.

Tiburon1724
09-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Pretty sure my mother's better than any of the Bills QBs.

tampabay25690
09-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Ive watched a lot man.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184177

It could just be you see something that Im not seeing. That happens a lot. Its not that one side is wrong or right, just two different feels for a guy. Time will show what he ends up being. I'm still kicking myslef in the ass for backing off on Max Hall who I really liked... It looks to me that he could be one of the best QB's out of this past draft. Maybe its making me want to stick to my guns more this year.

Besides, you wont hear me say Locker is un-draftable. I'm simply saying Id rather us pick Luck or Mallet if we have all 3 available. But when you get to our 2nd round pick, Locker makes a ton of sense.

You honestly think Locker is there in the 2nd?????

tampabay25690
09-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Pretty sure my mother's better than any of the Bills QBs.

Doubt that..
Where does your mom play??

X-Era
09-25-2010, 09:59 PM
You honestly think Locker is there in the 2nd?????

My gut is that he is currently a mid to late 1st. I could see anywhere from 15 to the top of round 2. Which may include our 2nd round pick.

X-Era
09-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Doubt that..
Where does your mom play??

Balls State? :lol:

Ingtar33
09-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Cool

Locker
Luck
Mallet

Bull**** argument.

Roethlisburger dominated with a pretty mediocre team... hell so did Flaco... or McNair...

Talent overcomes a lot. Locker has never overcome his ****ty teams to put up good numbers.

Or are you going to argue that Washington has less talent then Roethlisburger's Miami (of Ohio) squad?

Commissioner
09-26-2010, 01:33 AM
We got to remember that Locker was also drafted by an MLB team and likes baseball also.

His skills are raw and will need a lot more developing than a Luck or Mallett.... but when the going gets tough, will Locker decide to play baseball?

If I'm going to take Locker as my franchise guy... I wanna know if his heart is 110% into footbll.

gonzo1105
09-26-2010, 05:01 AM
I'm going to say it again for the people who are saying Luck didn't look good against a crappy defense while Mallett plays top notch competition every week. ANDREW LUCK IS A REDSHIRT SOPHMORE who is in his 3rd full year of college. Jake Locker has been a 4 year starter and hasn't shown anything besides potential and athleticism, this is something that Buddy Nix says will kill you when you are drafting. Ryan Mallett is in his 5th year of college football including his transfer year from Michigan and is no better at this point then Andrew Luck. Luck=3 years College Football, Mallett=5 years of college football.

The way I see it Luck is just going to continue to get better down the line while Mallett very well could be a finished product at this point. If i'm looking at long term projection for a Franchise Quarterback Andrew Luck seems to be the guy.

Luck
Mallett
Ponder
Locker
Devlin

k-oneputt
09-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Bull**** argument.

Roethlisburger dominated with a pretty mediocre team... hell so did Flaco... or McNair...

Talent overcomes a lot. Locker has never overcome his ****ty teams to put up good numbers.

Or are you going to argue that Washington has less talent then Roethlisburger's Miami (of Ohio) squad?

Not quite.
Roethlisburger dominated on the best MAC team. Miami-O was the class of the league during his time.
Same goes for Flaco at Deleware, for their leagues they were the top teams.
Wash. in the PAC-10 is still a step below talent wise.

YardRat
09-26-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm simply saying Id rather us pick Luck or Mallet if we have all 3 available. But when you get to our 2nd round pick, Locker makes a ton of sense.

I've never understood that logic. If you don't think a guy is going to be good enough to fill a need, take him off the board completely. Take a flier in the late rounds if he's still there, maybe, but not the first three or four.

Would a player like Ryan Leaf be any 'better' of a pick if San Diego took him in the second or third round?

Canadian'eh!
09-26-2010, 06:55 AM
I've never understood that logic. If you don't think a guy is going to be good enough to fill a need, take him off the board completely. Take a flier in the late rounds if he's still there, maybe, but not the first three or four.

Would a player like Ryan Leaf be any 'better' of a pick if San Diego took him in the second or third round?

It makes sense to me in some scenario's. If you are going to gamble on a boom or bust pick, you have to decide what level of gamble you are willing tot take.

a 1st rounder is a massive one. but a 2nd is a significant drop.

The reason you don't wait is that you like the guy enough to gamble the 2nd, but not quite enough for a 1st... which means you used your 1st on another need that you felt was a safer pick.

However being the Bills they will just **** them both up anyway.

Canadian'eh!
09-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Love how everyone gets so pissed when you disagree with them. Resort to "oh well your just the guy who hates everyone."

Anyway.... Mallet choked. plain and simple. The Alabama D is not better than the Dolphins, Jets or Ravens.

But from what I saw he has a cannon, throws a nice spiral, and likes to sling it. But he lacks accuracy, touch and makes some bad decisions under pressure. His gunslinger mentality will cause a lot of turnovers in the NFL.

A saw only a bit from Luck. He seems like a very SMART qb. Feels pressure well, has just enough wiggle to move in the pocket. His accuracy and arm are good. But he doesn't seem to have a very tight spiral. there's some wiggle in his throws. Doesn't have a huge arm though it seems good enough. I liked him better than Mallett.

I've not seen Locker.

YardRat
09-26-2010, 07:17 AM
It makes sense to me in some scenario's. If you are going to gamble on a boom or bust pick, you have to decide what level of gamble you are willing tot take.

a 1st rounder is a massive one. but a 2nd is a significant drop.

The reason you don't wait is that you like the guy enough to gamble the 2nd, but not quite enough for a 1st... which means you used your 1st on another need that you felt was a safer pick.

However being the Bills they will just **** them both up anyway.

I'm thinking when the second round pick comes up, there must be somebody rated higher on the big board at a different position.

Fans may accept the risk/reward gamble, but in reality it doesn't make the team any better.

Locker still = a back-up, and I'd rather shoot a second on a LBer or OL that might have a perceived higher chance of settling in as a starter than a second-string QB.

kelly2reed4six
09-26-2010, 07:49 AM
With the 1st pick in the 2011 NFL the Buffalo Bills select Ryan Mallet QB from Arkansas University.

Just just gave be butterflies lol!

kelly2reed4six
09-26-2010, 07:53 AM
His gunslinger mentality will cause a lot of turnovers in the NFL.

I can think of another QB with a gunslinger mentality that has caused an avalanche of turnovers in his day.......he happens to be the guy who holds the large majority of passing records.....

of course though, that doesn't mean he'll be anything like favre....but we can dream!

Philagape
09-26-2010, 08:08 AM
I can think of another QB with a gunslinger mentality that has caused an avalanche of turnovers in his day.......he happens to be the guy who holds the large majority of passing records.....

of course though, that doesn't mean he'll be anything like favre....but we can dream!

For a second I thought you were going to say Jim Kelly

I'll take a gunslinger as long as he gets them into the end zone more often than he screws up

X-Era
09-26-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm thinking when the second round pick comes up, there must be somebody rated higher on the big board at a different position.

Fans may accept the risk/reward gamble, but in reality it doesn't make the team any better.

Locker still = a back-up, and I'd rather shoot a second on a LBer or OL that might have a perceived higher chance of settling in as a starter than a second-string QB.

Thats a logical way to look at it and I'm sure that type of thing is discussed. Theoretically, we do that with every pick.

For us the discussion should be whether we think the guy has franchise QB potential which is a bit more binary than can he develop into an NFL QB. Our discussion should be around getting a guy that can be the franchise guy.

YardRat
09-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Thats a logical way to look at it and I'm sure that type of thing is discussed. Theoretically, we do that with every pick.

For us the discussion should be whether we think the guy has franchise QB potential which is a bit more binary than can he develop into an NFL QB. Our discussion should be around getting a guy that can be the franchise guy.

But that's my point. If Locker is considered 'the franchise guy', you take him wherever you can, even if it's a perceived reach in the first. He should be that high on the big board if that's the perception. If he isn't held in that high regard, then you're wasting a second.

Canadian'eh!
09-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Mallett has Favre's touch on short throws no doubt. But he lacks the accuracy Favre had.

Losman thought he could make every throw too.

It's a fine line. Which Mallet was on the wrong side of yesterday for sure. The throw away INT to seal the game was VERY alarming to me. I can't remember seeing that one before. you have the entire sideline to throw at and a cannon arm. How the hell do you let that be even CLOSE to the field.....

Canadian'eh!
09-26-2010, 09:12 AM
But that's my point. If Locker is considered 'the franchise guy', you take him wherever you can, even if it's a perceived reach in the first. He should be that high on the big board if that's the perception. If he isn't held in that high regard, then you're wasting a second.

OK..

a guy who was supposed to be a top top pick, starts to get a bit of shine taken off for various reasons, and then drops a long way, only to have a team realize the gamble at that point is well worth it...

Aaron Rogers.

Sometimes the drops turns out to be for good reason (Leinart, Quinn) but the reasoning is the same. Locker has been looked at as a high pick by many for some time, and even with some of the shine coming off he may turn out to be a good one.

That being said I'm not supporting either argument really. I'm just reasonming why you might like a guy enough to risk a 2nd, even if you don't think he's worth a top 5 pick.

Would GB have taken Rogers at #3 at the time? I not convinced they would have... Brett was still there and hadn't even pulled his 1st retirement.

But at 24 and needing a long term plan.... it was a franchise altering move.

Nighthawk
09-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Ha, ha...Bills fans are funny. They're already criticizing a potential future Bills player and he hasn't played a down for the Bills yet! Pretty funny stuff.

Canadian'eh!
09-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Ha, ha...Bills fans are funny. They're already criticizing a potential future Bills player and he hasn't played a down for the Bills yet! Pretty funny stuff.

ha ha... people who post on message boards but don't want people to discuss things are even funnier.

So we should just gush about everyone and pray one or all of them get picked?

Why can't we comment about potential players good and bad?

Oh. I guess we should all just wait for the Bills to pick someone and then everyone agree on how great they are.

gotcha.

Commissioner
09-26-2010, 09:26 AM
.........Ryan Mallett is in his 5th year of college football including his transfer year from Michigan and is no better at this point then Andrew Luck. Luck=3 years College Football, Mallett=5 years of college football.

The way I see it Luck is just going to continue to get better down the line while Mallett very well could be a finished product at this point. If i'm looking at long term projection for a Franchise Quarterback Andrew Luck seems to be the guy.

Luck
Mallett
Ponder
Locker
Devlin

This is only Malletts 2nd full season as a starter in college football. Mallett started about 3 games for Michigan then started all last year at Arkansas, so this is is 2nd full season in Arkansas' offense. He's also greatly improved this year. There's no way you can imply that Mallett may be a finished product.

I'd be happy with either Luck or Mallett but I think Malletts physical skills like arm strength are better suited for the conditions in Buffalo.

Commissioner
09-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Mallett has Favre's touch on short throws no doubt. But he lacks the accuracy Favre had.

Losman thought he could make every throw too.

It's a fine line. Which Mallet was on the wrong side of yesterday for sure. The throw away INT to seal the game was VERY alarming to me. I can't remember seeing that one before. you have the entire sideline to throw at and a cannon arm. How the hell do you let that be even CLOSE to the field.....

He was avoiding the rush and threw off balance. You can't say definitively that he was trying to throw the ball away or over threw the WR that as on that sideline.

Mad Max
09-26-2010, 10:37 AM
For a second I thought you were going to say Jim Kelly

I'll take a gunslinger as long as he gets them into the end zone more often than he screws up

You have to respect some of the gunslingers like Favre for their accomplishments, but you also have to accept that they will destroy you at times with their mentality (last years Championship Game INT was not Favres first such bonehead moment...ask any GB fan).

So in my opinion a good arm attached to a cerebral QB (read smart) trumps the cannon armed guy with more balls than brains. Peyton>>Favre, all day every day. Luck>>Mallett.

Commissioner
09-26-2010, 10:39 AM
You have to respect some of the gunslingers like Favre for their accomplishments, but you also have to accept that they will destroy you at times with their mentality (last years Championship Game INT was not Favres first such bonehead moment...ask any GB fan).

So in my opinion a good arm attached to a cerebral QB (read smart) trumps the cannon armed guy with more balls than brains. Peyton>>Favre, all day every day. Luck>>Mallett.

I have yet to see Luck show me that he has a cannon for an arm. He seems to float the ball out to the receivers. I have yet to seem him gun the ball into a tight window.

X-Era
09-26-2010, 10:53 AM

Thats where we differ, its not that binary. Its not franchise QB potential- Yes or No.

Its likelyhood.

I think this is a moot point. Were picking high, there will be a guy there that has franchise QB potential and I think its very likely we will draft him right there.

X-Era
09-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I have yet to see Luck show me that he has a cannon for an arm. He seems to float the ball out to the receivers. I have yet to seem him gun the ball into a tight window.

He doesn't. Its an adequate arm for the NFl, but he doesn't have a strong arm.

However, after years of indecisive play at QB, I want a guy that knows how to command the offense and is poised.

Mad Max
09-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Although I think Luck has more than enough arm strength, I said I'd take the guy with a "good arm" ie less arm than the cannon armed guy if he ultimately is a better decision maker.

I used to be enamored with all of the "ultra tight spiral", "frozen rope", "tight window" sort of adjectives used to describe potential Bills QBs...then of course RJ, Dreadsoe, and Losman happened.

No mas.

X-Era
09-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Ryan Mallett is the next Ryan Leaf.

I would be lying if I didn't see similarities. We wont truly know about his character until we hear what teams think in interviews in the off-season. Lets not forget that Kelly was brash as well.

TacklingDummy
09-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Ryan Mallett is the next Ryan Leaf.

Nighthawk
09-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Luck is the real deal and he may be the Peyton Manning of this draft and Mallett may be the Leaf. Hopefully, if Luck comes out, we have the chance to draft him.

topher180
09-26-2010, 11:08 AM
So predictable. More insecurity from Bills fans. So the same people who illogically hold out hope that Trent Edwards was somehow going to return to form of his "4 game hot streak" are killing Mallet for having a bad game. Typical.

ZAZusmc03
09-26-2010, 11:16 AM
So predictable. More insecurity from Bills fans. So the same people who illogically hold out hope that Trent Edwards was somehow going to return to form of his "4 game hot streak" are killing Mallet for having a bad game. Typical.
Mallet has been inconsistent his whole career, that is where all the knocks come.from, he doesn't seem to have the best qb smarts.is

Commissioner
09-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Yeah i know.... we should be lucky to have either QB in the draft.

Commissioner
09-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Mallet has been inconsistent his whole career, that is where all the knocks come.from, he doesn't seem to have the best qb smarts.is

Yeah... his WHOLE 2 YEAR CAREER.

ParanoidAndroid
09-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Cool

Locker
Luck
Mallet

They said the same thing about JP. "If he had an O-line, he would be awesome." Locker is not anywhere near the passer he needs to be to succeed in the NFL.

Philagape
09-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I hope these QBs' inconsistency reminds us that college players who've never done a damn thing in the NFL are not worth tanking for.