PDA

View Full Version : One thing Nix got right in the draft: Arthur Moats

Dr. Taylor Zaius
09-26-2010, 09:19 AM
As poorly as Nix handled this past offseason by ignoring the QB and OL, I must give him his props on Arthur Moats. Moats comes from James Madison University where he had a sensational run (2009 Buchanan Award Winner). He played as a DE at JMU. Sure he is going to need some time to get acclamated to LB position, as well as the speed of the NFL, but my guess he will do so in farily short order - hopefully by the 2nd half to the season.
Moats strikes me as a diamond in the rough who will have a very positive impact for the team. It will take many Arthur Moats type selections late in the draft to turn this trainwreck around.

Thoughts?

http://www.patriotsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/arthur-moats.jpg

Canadian'eh!
09-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Bit early for props, no?

raphael120
09-26-2010, 09:27 AM
What exactly has he done to warrant this post? I'd say give it until at least half the season, because honestly, I haven't noticed him on the field once.

X-Era
09-26-2010, 09:28 AM
As poorly as Nix handled this past offseason by ignoring the QB and OL, I must give him his props on Arthur Moats. Moats comes from James Madison University where he had a sensational run (2009 Buchanan Award Winner). He played as a DE at JMU. Sure he is going to need some time to get acclamated to LB position, as well as the speed of the NFL, but my guess he will do so in farily short order - hopefully by the 2nd half to the season.
Moats strikes me as a diamond in the rough who will have a very positive impact for the team. It will take many Arthur Moats type selections late in the draft to turn this trainwreck around.

Thoughts?

http://www.patriotsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/arthur-moats.jpg

You claim he got it right even though he hasn't started at LB in the NFL yet?

Dr. Taylor Zaius
09-26-2010, 09:32 AM
I've followed Moat's college career. Call it an educated hunch on my part. Let's revisit later in the season. He was picked 178th overall. If he pans out, he will go down as a steal, just as London Fletcher was a few years back (Fletcher was an UFA).
Time will tell, but I suspect I will be proven correct here.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
09-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Bit early for props, no?

Perhaps, but I have a lot of confidence Moats will pan out nicely for us. Stay tuned.
:usflag: Go Bills!

YardRat
09-26-2010, 09:50 AM
I hope so.

But then again, my educated hunch tells me Spiller still can be something special, Troup can be an everydown, effective NT, Easley can be good, WR Nelson will be a bigger 'steal', DE Edwards will be solid in his tenure here, and Davis, Torbor, and Ayolede will turn out to be somewhat effective but unspectacular acquisitions to aid the switch to the 34.

X-Era
09-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I hope so.

But then again, my educated hunch tells me Spiller still can be something special, Troup can be an everydown, effective NT, Easley can be good, WR Nelson will be a bigger 'steal', DE Edwards will be solid in his tenure here, and Davis, Torbor, and Ayolede will turn out to be somewhat effective but unspectacular acquisitions to aid the switch to the 34.

I'm leary on Troup, Carrington, Batten, and Moats. But in a 3-4, those guys can rotate in and out so I'm not as worried if we dont have them solely starting. I think they can be solid starters in this league but may never be more. We need to add a few studs on the D now.

Luisito23
09-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I haven't heard his name called until you brought it up...If that was the plan, then yeah he got it right.

Hogwasher
09-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah, moats is a good project on a team that need them.

FlyingDutchman
09-26-2010, 11:48 AM
What would you have done to fix the QB and Oline?

Historian
09-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Moats is a poor man's Coy Wire.

In other words, he sucks.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm shocked he even made the team.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
09-26-2010, 06:05 PM

:bs:

Moats will end up shining brightly for us. A good 6th rounder who just may end up being a diamond in the rough.

ServoBillieves
09-26-2010, 06:09 PM

I have an authentic Coy Wire jersey... This upsets me, but I wear it to this day... Good to know people still remember him.

Damn Falcons...

TigerJ
09-26-2010, 10:52 PM
[quote=Taylor]As poorly as Nix handled this past offseason by ignoring the QB and OL, I must give him his props on Arthur Moats. Moats comes from James Madison University where he had a sensational run (2009 Buchanan Award Winner). He played as a DE at JMU. Sure he is going to need some time to get acclamated to LB position, as well as the speed of the NFL, but my guess he will do so in farily short order - hopefully by the 2nd half to the season.

Thoughts?]I find the timing of this post rather odd. I could see comments like this as part of the whole draft post mortem, and you may will be right as far as what happens eventually with Moats, but at the moment he's just another rookie who is primarily a depth player trying to learn how to play linebacker and waiting for the shot he hopes to get some time this season or next.

Beebe's Kid
09-27-2010, 01:26 AM

Thoughts?

Do you honestly think Nix ignored QB and OL, or do you think that there was little to be had. Just a hunch, do you think the CBA made this a difficult year to bring in, or justify bringing in a big name player? I doubt you think anything about the CBA, or any other facts that would prove to be counter-productive to your ridiculous continuous onslaught on logical thinking.

Moats? I pull for every player in a Bills uniform, and I think Moats may develop into a fine player, but this is really pushing it, isn't it? For some reason you have a boner for the guy, and despite the fact he is never on the field, he was a great pick?

Dr. Taylor Zaius
09-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Do you honestly think Nix ignored QB and OL, or do you think that there was little to be had. Just a hunch, do you think the CBA made this a difficult year to bring in, or justify bringing in a big name player? I doubt you think anything about the CBA, or any other facts that would prove to be counter-productive to your ridiculous continuous onslaught on logical thinking.

Moats? I pull for every player in a Bills uniform, and I think Moats may develop into a fine player, but this is really pushing it, isn't it? For some reason you have a boner for the guy, and despite the fact he is never on the field, he was a great pick?

Like I said pal, I followed Moats throughout his college days. The only reason he didn't go higher in the draft is because he came from smaller school Div 1 School - James Madison University. Enough of your insults.

Extremebillsfan247
09-27-2010, 06:22 AM
QB and Oline wasn't ignored despite popular belief. We did in fact draft 2 Olineman, and a QB. The QB and one of the lineman drafted didn't do well enough to make the team. So they will run through this year, regroup, rescout, and draft again next year. While your claims of them ignoring such positions may look to be accurate, they are not. They did look at Claussen, Tebow, and Colt McCoy, and none of them were worth a high draft selection according to both Nix and Gailey. So far I see no evidence of them being wrong about those QBs do you?

Dr. Taylor Zaius
09-27-2010, 06:43 AM
QB and Oline wasn't ignored despite popular belief. We did in fact draft 2 Olineman, and a QB. The QB and one of the lineman drafted didn't do well enough to make the team. So they will run through this year, regroup, rescout, and draft again next year. While your claims of them ignoring such positions may look to be accurate, they are not. They did look at Claussen, Tebow, and Colt McCoy, and none of them were worth a high draft selection according to both Nix and Gailey. So far I see no evidence of them being wrong about those QBs do you?

There were other options besides the draft to improve the OL and QB - trade, free agency, even the waiver wire. Nix did basically nothing. Like you said 2 out of the 3 werent even good enough to make the roster which in itself is telling of Nix's evaluation skills.

Too early to tell whether Clausen, Tebow, and McCoy pan out. All 3 of them better than any of our woeful QBs. Admittably, that aint saying much.

Extremebillsfan247
09-27-2010, 07:01 AM
There were other options besides the draft to improve the OL and QB - trade, free agency, even the waiver wire. Nix did basically nothing. Like you said 2 out of the 3 werent even good enough to make the roster which in itself is telling of Nix's evaluation skills.

Too early to tell whether Clausen, Tebow, and McCoy pan out. All 3 of them better than any of our woeful QBs. Admittably, that aint saying much.
They were both 7th round picks. 7th round selections rarely ever make a team in the NFL. What QB anywhere in the NFL let alone a free agent or someone on the trade block could overcome the ineptness of our defense that gave up 38 points to a struggling New England Patriots offense with 3rd string running backs who looked like all pros against us Yesterday? nobody accept for maybe Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. We don't have enough collateral to get them 2. So it doesn't matter.

This team needs a franchise QB that will be here longer than 2 or 3 seasons. There wasn't one free agent QB available that is even good enough to even be in the same room with that title. If you want to talk trade, who exactly should we have gone after? McNabb? He didn't want to come here. Vick? Fitzpatrick played almost as well as he did yesterday and we still lost. Vick would not be good enough to help this team. What other possible answers would you have? Oline is probably the only position where you might have a viable point. JMO

My point here is if your defense is giving up 38 points in a football game, your not beating anyone no matter how good your QB and Oline are.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
09-27-2010, 06:24 PM
They were both 7th round picks. 7th round selections rarely ever make a team in the NFL. What QB anywhere in the NFL let alone a free agent or someone on the trade block could overcome the ineptness of our defense that gave up 38 points to a struggling New England Patriots offense with 3rd string running backs who looked like all pros against us Yesterday? nobody accept for maybe Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. We don't have enough collateral to get them 2. So it doesn't matter.

This team needs a franchise QB that will be here longer than 2 or 3 seasons. There wasn't one free agent QB available that is even good enough to even be in the same room with that title. If you want to talk trade, who exactly should we have gone after? McNabb? He didn't want to come here. Vick? Fitzpatrick played almost as well as he did yesterday and we still lost. Vick would not be good enough to help this team. What other possible answers would you have? Oline is probably the only position where you might have a viable point. JMO

My point here is if your defense is giving up 38 points in a football game, your not beating anyone no matter how good your QB and Oline are.

If you can't move the ball on offense, your defense is going to give up points. Are there gaps in the D? You betcha. However, our highest priority is the QB and OL. Nix ignored both.