PDA

View Full Version : George Edwards

jamze132
09-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Sucks ass.

How in the hell can you not blitz? Ever.

3 games and minimal blitzing. Answer me a question, maybe I am ******ed, I don't know... when you give QBs like Rodgers and Brady all the time in the world, how do you expect to stop them? Does George Edwards think that because he has 7 players covering, he has the advantage? Does Gailey approve and agree with the defensive playcalling? WTF gives?

I am perplexed and have MANY questions about Gailey which we will get to soon.

Nighthawk
09-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Sucks ass.

3 games and minimal blitzing. Answer me a question, maybe I am ******ed, I don't know... when you give QBs like Rodgers and Brady all the time in the world, how do you expect to stop them? Does George Edwards think that because he has 7 players covering, he has the advantage? Does Gailey approve and agree with the defensive playcalling? WTF gives?

I am perplexed and have MANY questions about Gailey which we will get to soon.

Besides QB, the DC position is big problem with this team. Edwards has been horrible with this playcalling and lack of blitzing. He coaches scared and that only gets you beat...just ask Dickey.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Is it wrong to want Dick Jauron/Perry Fewell and the Cover 2 back?

psubills62
09-26-2010, 03:17 PM
I thought the point of the 3-4 defense was to disguise coverages and blitzes. If you're essentially just going to run a 4-3...yeah, I don't see the point.

Joe Fo Sho
09-26-2010, 03:18 PM

Gonna take a lot more than this game to want that putrid system back. The Pats have scored more than 38 against us before...

psubills62
09-26-2010, 03:19 PM

No thank you. Fewell's defense has been just about as bad as ours, and he has 20 times the talent with the Giants.

Nighthawk
I thought the point of the 3-4 defense was to disguise coverages and blitzes. If you're essentially just going to run a 4-3...yeah, I don't see the point.

He's been bad in the first few weeks....

Mr. Pink
Gonna take a lot more than this game to want that putrid system back. The Pats have scored more than 38 against us before...

We saw the same thing last week.

And would have seen the same thing in week 1 if Henne wasn't underthrowing receivers.

Nighthawk
09-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Yes, because Perry Fewell's defense in NY has been horrible and they have much more talent then us.

Joe Fo Sho
09-26-2010, 03:24 PM
We saw the same thing last week.

And would have seen the same thing in week 1 if Henne wasn't underthrowing receivers.

Oh, cuz our defense was so stellar the last few years...

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Oh, cuz our defense was so stellar the last few years...

The defense kept us in games and forced turnovers...or did you miss last year?

This year, we just give up points in bunches and force no turnovers.

Which would you really prefer?

Joe Fo Sho
09-26-2010, 03:27 PM

I prefer the 3-4 based on its potential. It's not going be fixed overnight. We saw everything the cover has to offer, and I never want to see it again.

better days
09-26-2010, 03:28 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

better days
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM

The Bills had been playing that defense for a number of years & had the players for it.

This is the 3rd game in this defense & the Bills were still in the game with under 4 Min left in the game. The 3-4 STAYS.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
I prefer the 3-4 based on its potential. It's not going be fixed overnight. We saw everything the cover has to offer, and I never want to see it again.

The cover 2 has as much potential as the 3-4.

Pittsburgh rode a dynasty with the Cover 2.

The defense this team had the past 2 seasons was good enough to win ballgames consistently if there was an offense that was NFL caliber.

So now instead of having an NFL caliber offense or defense...we have neither.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 03:32 PM
The Bills had been playing that defense for a number of years & had the players for it.

This is the 3rd game in this defense & the Bills were still in the game with under 4 Min left in the game. The 3-4 STAYS.

We're gonna give up 30+ to any team we play that has a competent QB.

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 03:34 PM
you can make a case for Fewell but not for Mr. play not to lose Dick. Fewell didn't like Dick which is why he changed things up when Dick got fired.

Besides, you're compering the cover 2 in it's 4TH year vs. the 3-4 in it's 3rd game?

wmoz11
09-26-2010, 03:34 PM
COVER 2 IS NOT THE SAME THING AS THE TAMPA 2!!!!!!!!!

What do you think we were in on the Moss TD down the middle? Cover-2 man under.

We play a ton of cover 2 still.

RoscoeMagic
09-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Our secondary and LBs have been weak spots the first 3 weeks. No surprise there without a pass rush. 0 INTs in 3 games...sure we played Brady and Rodgers but in years past we've gotten picks off good QBs before. George Edwards hasn't been encouraging, but we really don't have a pass rush at all which hurts the whole unit--not surprising considering we lost our only viable option to retirement. No more TOP excuses, D can't get off the field.

Joe Fo Sho
09-26-2010, 03:40 PM
The cover 2 has as much potential as the 3-4.

Pittsburgh rode a dynasty with the Cover 2.

The defense this team had the past 2 seasons was good enough to win ballgames consistently if there was an offense that was NFL caliber.

So now instead of having an NFL caliber offense or defense...we have neither.

Sorry, I probably should've been clearer. I like the cover/tampa 2 or whatever you want to call it. I loved it when Tampa ran it.

What I should've said, is that for some reason the Bills just don't understand how to use it. Maybe it was Fewell/Jauron, maybe it was the GM, I don't know. But I do know that the Bills didn't show me that they could run it as effectively as I wanted.

I am excited for the new defensive system, if not just for the sake of it's something different. I don't want to give up on it yet.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 03:44 PM
you can make a case for Fewell but not for Mr. play not to lose Dick. Fewell didn't like Dick which is why he changed things up when Dick got fired.

Besides, you're compering the cover 2 in it's 4TH year vs. the 3-4 in it's 3rd game?

The point was the TAMPA 2 scheme, so someone doesn't argue semantics with me, wasn't broken. It's a defense proven to be effective and work in the NFL and work with great success.

Usually you'd don't fix what isn't broken.

Besides, the defense back in 2006 didn't look this bad. The Bills were 10th in points allowed. We gave up 311 points in 06, we're on pace right now to give up 464 points.

better days
09-26-2010, 03:44 PM
We're gonna give up 30+ to any team we play that has a competent QB.

Well if Brady is only competent, then yeah. I think he is just a little better than competent myself & as I said this was only the 3rd game.

It will take time, but I think this team will improve every game on both offense & defense.

RoscoeMagic
09-26-2010, 03:45 PM
If Sanchez lights us up for 24+ points it will be time to panic for this D.

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 03:47 PM
The point was the TAMPA 2 scheme, so someone doesn't argue semantics with me, wasn't broken. It's a defense proven to be effective and work in the NFL and work with great success.

Usually you'd don't fix what isn't broken.

Besides, the defense back in 2006 didn't look this bad. The Bills were 10th in points allowed. We gave up 311 points in 06, we're on pace right now to give up 464 points.
the best teams play 3-4 . Are you going to argue with facts again?

Our tamps 2 was a bend don't break that tends to break at some point.

Nobody said that we were going to fix this D overnight.

poreef
09-26-2010, 03:53 PM
The evidence supports the conclusion that good QBs (Manning, Brady, etc) IMPROVE when they are blitzed because they recognize it and find open receivers quickly.

We do not have the linebacking core and secondary that can cover well enough to stop Brady from doing just that before the blitz arrives.

So not blitzing much this game seems fine to me, though it needs to be a part of the overall repertoire, especially against lesser quarterbacks.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 03:54 PM
the best teams play 3-4 . Are you going to argue with facts again?

The Colts are one of the best teams correct? I don't think they play the 3-4.

The Ravens? They play a hybrid mixture of the 46, 3-4 and 4-3.

The Vikings? They don't play a 3-4 either.

The Saints? Nope no 3-4

How about those facts?

psubills62
09-26-2010, 03:54 PM
For me, the problem with Fewell's defense was: how good could it actually be? We've seen that the 3-4 defense can be very good with the right players. We have almost none of the right players right now.

However, Fewell now has the talent he needs, especially on the DL, to make his system work. Yet it still sucks. Which is better - having a defense that kept us in games, but still needs a good offense to win games, or a defense that is bad now yet will get better with time?

Before Gailey was hired, I was all in favor of going with a more aggressive 4-3, or even staying in the 4-3 for a year before going with the 3-4, but this is fine. Our D will get better. Besides - Tom Brady ALWAYS does amazing against our defense, no matter what. Playing against two of THE best QB's in the game isn't exactly a great comparison. Are we really going to look this bad against guys like David Garrard and Jake Delhomme? I doubt those guys could make some of the passes Brady made today.

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 04:04 PM
The Colts are one of the best teams correct? I don't think they play the 3-4.

The Ravens? They play a hybrid mixture of the 46, 3-4 and 4-3.

The Vikings? They don't play a 3-4 either.

The Saints? Nope no 3-4

How about those facts?

LOL!

Colts beat teams because of their offense

same goes with the saints. But the saints, ravens and vikings don't run a tampa. So now you're using another type of D to make an argument vs. the 3-4?

What about the Pats and Pitts ?

The jets were no1 last year.

look at the list of the top SB Winners in the last decade and tell me how many of them run n the tampa 2. Only the colts stick out

Argue with facts all you want.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

CoolBreeze
09-26-2010, 04:05 PM
The evidence supports the conclusion that good QBs (Manning, Brady, etc) IMPROVE when they are blitzed because they recognize it and find open receivers quickly.

We do not have the linebacking core and secondary that can cover well enough to stop Brady from doing just that before the blitz arrives.

So not blitzing much this game seems fine to me, though it needs to be a part of the overall repertoire, especially against lesser quarterbacks.

Thank You for pointing out the facts! The personnel in this defense is not totally built for the 3-4. They are a few pieces away. Edwards cannot blitz because that would only expose the weakest links in pass coverage, (Kelsay, Maybin, Ellis, Poz, and most of all Whitner) If we blitzed Brady today all day, they would have rung up 56 again.

RoscoeMagic
09-26-2010, 04:06 PM
LOL!

Colts beat teams because of their offense

same goes with the saints. But the saints don't run a tampa. So now you're using another type of D to make an argument?

What about the Pats and Pitts ?

The jets were no1 last year.

look at the list of the top SB Winners in the last decade and tell me how many of them run n the tampa 2. Only the colts stick out

Argue with facts all you want.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Defense doesn't win championships, that's a myth. Offenses do, your guys' argument is pretty pointless.

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 04:09 PM
we were getting killed by the TE's, we could not blitz. We need better DE's and linebackers

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Defense doesn't win championships, that's a myth. Offenses do, your guys' argument is pretty pointless.
really? The saints could not win it until they brought in Greg Williams.

You need both.

Mad Max
09-26-2010, 04:11 PM

They torched us all game long without the blitz. So blitzing could have only helped. At worst same result.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 04:12 PM
really? The saints could not win it until they brought in Greg Williams.

You need both.

Yeah, too bad they don't run a 3-4.

CoolBreeze
09-26-2010, 04:14 PM
They torched us all game long without the blitz. So blitzing could have only helped. At worst same result.

I think they should blitz occasionally, I just don't get it why it's someone like Whitner blitzing. Why not someone with speed like McKelvin. Whitner is usually 5 yds away when the ball is gone.

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 04:15 PM
they don't run a tampa 2 either

RoscoeMagic
09-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Pretty irrelevant. The Colts and Saints have had some of the best offenses and QBs in league history, that's not a coincidence.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
they don't run a tampa 2 either

Your point is the 3-4 is the end all be all defense that if you don't run that, you can't possibly win.

I showed you that you were completely wrong.

And if you want just the Tampa 2, the Colts do just fine with it, the Bears did just fine with it, the Bucs won with it and the Steelers rode it to a dynasty.

Every defense can work with the right personnel to run it.

poreef
09-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Well, it's hard to argue a counterfactual, but I'm not so sure. The historical numbers say that the passer rating of the great QBs go up when blitzed. Unless we could actually get to him in time - which I don't think we could do - I don't see why Brady would fare any differently.

It's not as if we have a secondary that could tackle an open receiver gaining speed.

But your general point that when you give up 38 points you should be trying something else is well taken. Were it up to me, I'd probably advise to play more nickel or dime or something to avoid the open receiver scenario.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Pretty irrelevant. The Colts and Saints have had some of the best offenses and QBs in league history, that's not a coincidence.

You're missing the entire point.

Any defense can be successful in the NFL, regardless of scheme.

You still need some defense to win in this league or else you'll lose a bunch of 35-32 type games.

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Your point is the 3-4 is the end all be all defense that if you don't run that, you can't possibly win.

I showed you that you were completely wrong.. wrong. Wrong, never said it was the end all be all defense. Just pointing out that the more recent sb teams ran the 3-4. You're the one who wanted to compare systems and all I did was pull out facts

And if you want just the Tampa 2, the Colts do just fine with it, the Bears did just fine with it, the Bucs won with it and the Steelers rode it to a dynasty.

The steelers aren't winning their recent sb's with the tamps 2. The Pats Dynasty are winning it with the 3-4.

The colts don't have a dynasty because their D has been holding back their O. Their D has been the weakest link while Peyton was there.

Every defense can work with the right personnel to run it

NO doubt,problem is , Dick had 4 years to build his tampa 2 . Edwards has only had 3 games with a personnel that he inherited from the tampa 2.

Philagape
09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
It is kind of nonsensical to send linebackers into coverage who can't cover.

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
You're missing the entire point.

Any defense can be successful in the NFL, regardless of scheme.

that is not what you implied when you made this post which I argued against.

Obviously, we don't have the right personnel for the 3-4 yet. We're still in our first year of rebuild

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 04:37 PM
NO doubt,problem is , Dick had 4 years to build his tampa 2 . Edwards has only had 3 games with a personnel that he inherited from the tampa 2.

And the defense Dick inherited and turned into the Tampa 2 is nowhere near as bad as the defense we're seeing this year.

We're on pace to give up the most points in franchise history.

You don't fix what isn't broken.

The defense wasn't broken, the offense was...now instead both are broken.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
that is not what you implied when you made this post which I argued against.

Obviously, we don't have the right personnel for the 3-4 yet. We're still in our first year of rebuild

That is exactly what I implied. The Tampa 2 was and is fine as a scheme to run in the NFL. Just like the 4-3, 3-4 and 46.

You implied the only way we'd win is with a 3-4 because all the top teams use it, which simply isn't true.

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 04:41 PM
And the defense Dick inherited and turned into the Tampa 2 is nowhere near as bad as the defense we're seeing this year.

We're on pace to give up the most points in franchise history.

You don't fix what isn't broken.

The defense wasn't broken, the offense was...now instead both are broken.

it wasn't fixed either. We were constantly last vs. the run. Something that even the colts have struggled through the years. If it wasn't for Peyton, the colts could not make up for not being able to stop the run.

justasportsfan
09-26-2010, 04:43 PM
That is exactly what I implied. The Tampa 2 was and is fine as a scheme to run in the NFL. Just like the 4-3, 3-4 and 46.

You implied the only way we'd win is with a 3-4 because all the top teams use it, which simply isn't true.

then if you are implying it's the scheme, then I've proven that the 3-4 has been the more effective D between both in recent years.

BTW, don't put Fewell and Dick together, Fewell didn't like Dicks philosophy.

YardRat
09-26-2010, 04:50 PM
COVER 2 IS NOT THE SAME THING AS THE TAMPA 2!!!!!!!!!

What do you think we were in on the Moss TD down the middle? Cover-2 man under.

We play a ton of cover 2 still.

That didn't look like Cover2 coverage to me.

Extremebillsfan247
09-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Sucks ass.

I am perplexed and have MANY questions about Gailey which we will get to soon. I think he tried to blitz, we just failed at getting to the QB. Lack of true 3/4 talent will do that. JMO