PDA

View Full Version : We got our "Moral Victory"

Mad Max
09-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I think we certainly could have.

Gailey, although he made some good decisions in this game (and leading up to the game) made a couple of sketchy game calls as well IMO.

The fourth and inches was one. Have to go for it. We haven't won in Foxborough since 2000 for good reason, we've been overmatched and outcoached. How about realizing that and not try and trade blows one for one against the Pats...and take a chance to go up by a few points AND burn clock.

Then the 51 yard FG attempt. Really? Can Lindell hit it, sure he can..but it's well outside of his comfort zone and therefore a low percentage shot. Fitzy was playing well, why not go for the 1st down?

Decisions such as those swing games, and I think swung this one against us.

I've seen Belichek make calls like that for his team...gotta play to win, not, not to lose.

RoscoeMagic
09-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I would have liked to see them go for the 1st down as well in that situation. Honestly thought Gailey was gonna do it too. When does the fake hike/draw D offsides ever work?

Mad Max
09-26-2010, 04:14 PM
I would have liked to see them go for the 1st down as well in that situation. Honestly thought Gailey was gonna do it too. When does the fake hike/draw D offsides ever work?

Not often against NE. Know your enemy.

poreef
09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Agreed. This season is not one any of us expects to end in a playoff berth. Play like you've got something to prove.

And beyond that, going for it on 4th down on the other team's side is something that has been proven statistically to be the right call. It's only the conservatism of the old guard, non-Belichik coaches that leads to punts or overly long FG attempts.

ServoBillieves
09-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Cornell Green's false start reminded me of a young Bell, (which would've been a shorter field goal) and the Fitzy first pick could've gone better (would've been other points)

Even if all those things happened, you know it was going to end with a cheap NE last minute field goal/TD to win it.