Marcus Jones to Retire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Marcus Jones to Retire?

According to Mike Doser in Shout, Marcus Jones is as likely to retire due to injury as play. The coaching staff has told Kelsay not to rule out starting. He is much quicker than Denney and has learned the defense well. McKenzie is backing up AS at RDE.

Are we OK at DE if this happens, or should we seek help?
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?
  • BillsFanInMass
    The Stoner Zoner
    • Feb 2003

we should seek help i hope GW is talking to his old buddy Jevon Kearse so he comes here next year when he becomes a free agent . We would be unstoppable with him IMO.

Comment

• BillsNYC
      Man of the People
      • Jul 2002

wow...this is the first i have heard of retirement for MJ?
      Thank you.

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

The exact quote...
        When Tampa Bay released Jones last year, he seemed hopeful that he could resume his career. But he also made comments that sounded like he wouldn’t have a problem retiring either. I wouldn’t be surprised if he never plays for the Bills.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

I think it's more of being comfotable retiring if he is forced to.

If he recovers (and this is only mini camp he's sitting out on) he will play. I don'tthink it's all gloom and doom like it sounds.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
            The exact quote...
            When Tampa Bay released Jones last year, he seemed hopeful that he could resume his career. But he also made comments that sounded like he wouldn’t have a problem retiring either. I wouldn’t be surprised if he never plays for the Bills.
            Here's a classic example of the media taking words out of context. He never said he was going to retire. He just "made comments that sounded like he wouldn't have a problem retiring". Well in that case, me neither.

Comment

• Schobel94
              The Sack Master
              • Jan 2003

I think what this means is that he wont push it, if he feels he can't play, he has no problem retiring, but if he thinks he can, he will. That would be tough for Kelsay to start like that. Then again, Schobel started (mostly) his first year and picked up 6.5 sacks, if Kelsay can do that that would be great.
              Beware the sack master!

Comment

• baalworship
                • May 2003

Well, looks like Denney Vs Schobel. I will be nervous if Denney is forced to start. If both Denney AND Prioleau are on the field the Bills D is a year away.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Oddly enough, they made comments in this article about Denny "Feeling the pressure".

In the past, a lot of these guys would run a couple of steps in the general direction of plays that were 10-15 yards away. Now they are running full steam no matter what until the whistle blows.

I won't worry about Denny starting over Schoebel unless Denny proves he's an upgrade, or Schoebel gets hurt or suddenly gets worse. The best players will start...period.

Comment

• baalworship
                    • May 2003

Whoops, I meant Denney vs Kelsay. Was looking at Schobel94's avatar.

Comment

• Schobel94
                      The Sack Master
                      • Jan 2003

lol, yeah, Dozer that kinda reminds me of the Phil Hanson motor, you dont have to be that physically gifted if you have a motor like his, he stopped so many (would be) big plays. I think Kelsay will start later in the season even if Jones is here, I think he'll turn out pretty good.
                      Beware the sack master!

Comment

• Doc
                        • Dec 2002

From the original post, it sounded like more speculation than anything. Glad to hear Jones, or anyone else for that matter, hasn't mentioned the "r" word recently. And is it just me, or is Doser an alarmist?

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

He's just like us, gotta fill pages in June

Comment

• Doc
                            • Dec 2002

Yeah but we're not getting paid for it. At least I'm not!

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

It would be interesting to discover exactly when Jones is alleged to have "made comments that sounded like he wouldn’t have a problem retiring either." It also looks to me as if Gaughn is looking for something to say with nothing going on for the next 5 weeks but salary negotiations with draft choices. Gregg Williams has just recently been quoted as saying he hopes Jones will be able to go in training camp. It doesn't sound like he's worrying about an impending retirement.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X