PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Jones to Retire?

Jan Reimers
06-15-2003, 10:09 AM
According to Mike Doser in Shout, Marcus Jones is as likely to retire due to injury as play. The coaching staff has told Kelsay not to rule out starting. He is much quicker than Denney and has learned the defense well. McKenzie is backing up AS at RDE.

Are we OK at DE if this happens, or should we seek help?

BillsFanInMass
06-15-2003, 11:07 AM
we should seek help i hope GW is talking to his old buddy Jevon Kearse so he comes here next year when he becomes a free agent . We would be unstoppable with him IMO.

BillsNYC
06-15-2003, 11:15 AM
wow...this is the first i have heard of retirement for MJ?

Dozerdog
06-15-2003, 11:15 AM
The exact quote...
When Tampa Bay released Jones last year, he seemed hopeful that he could resume his career. But he also made comments that sounded like he wouldn’t have a problem retiring either. I wouldn’t be surprised if he never plays for the Bills.

Dozerdog
06-15-2003, 11:18 AM
I think it's more of being comfotable retiring if he is forced to.

If he recovers (and this is only mini camp he's sitting out on) he will play. I don'tthink it's all gloom and doom like it sounds.

Mr. Miyagi
06-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
The exact quote...
When Tampa Bay released Jones last year, he seemed hopeful that he could resume his career. But he also made comments that sounded like he wouldn’t have a problem retiring either. I wouldn’t be surprised if he never plays for the Bills.

Here's a classic example of the media taking words out of context. :rolleyes: He never said he was going to retire. He just "made comments that sounded like he wouldn't have a problem retiring". Well in that case, me neither.

Schobel94
06-15-2003, 11:28 AM
I think what this means is that he wont push it, if he feels he can't play, he has no problem retiring, but if he thinks he can, he will. That would be tough for Kelsay to start like that. Then again, Schobel started (mostly) his first year and picked up 6.5 sacks, if Kelsay can do that that would be great.

baalworship
06-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Well, looks like Denney Vs Schobel. I will be nervous if Denney is forced to start. If both Denney AND Prioleau are on the field the Bills D is a year away.

Dozerdog
06-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Oddly enough, they made comments in this article about Denny "Feeling the pressure".

In the past, a lot of these guys would run a couple of steps in the general direction of plays that were 10-15 yards away. Now they are running full steam no matter what until the whistle blows.

I won't worry about Denny starting over Schoebel unless Denny proves he's an upgrade, or Schoebel gets hurt or suddenly gets worse. The best players will start...period.

baalworship
06-15-2003, 12:26 PM
Whoops, I meant Denney vs Kelsay. Was looking at Schobel94's avatar.

Schobel94
06-15-2003, 12:30 PM
lol, yeah, Dozer that kinda reminds me of the Phil Hanson motor, you dont have to be that physically gifted if you have a motor like his, he stopped so many (would be) big plays. I think Kelsay will start later in the season even if Jones is here, I think he'll turn out pretty good.

Doc
06-15-2003, 01:03 PM
From the original post, it sounded like more speculation than anything. Glad to hear Jones, or anyone else for that matter, hasn't mentioned the "r" word recently. And is it just me, or is Doser an alarmist?

Dozerdog
06-15-2003, 01:12 PM
He's just like us, gotta fill pages in June

Doc
06-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Yeah but we're not getting paid for it. At least I'm not!

TigerJ
06-15-2003, 11:02 PM
It would be interesting to discover exactly when Jones is alleged to have "made comments that sounded like he wouldn’t have a problem retiring either." It also looks to me as if Gaughn is looking for something to say with nothing going on for the next 5 weeks but salary negotiations with draft choices. Gregg Williams has just recently been quoted as saying he hopes Jones will be able to go in training camp. It doesn't sound like he's worrying about an impending retirement.

Earthquake Enyart
06-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Explains why they drafted Kelsay in the first place. At first it looked like a logjam at DE. Also explains why GW said that they had Posey line up at DE in passing situations.

ublinkwescore
06-16-2003, 10:53 AM
didn't we used to line up Northern as a DE in passing situations too?

ryjam282
06-16-2003, 12:17 PM
I think if he does retire we should definitely get someone. Kelsay will be good but I don't think he will be ready to start opening day though. Maybe by week 3 or 4 to get a gauge on the speed of the pro game.

Ryan

BillsMan80
06-16-2003, 01:02 PM
I highly doubt he will be retiring. Just fodder to think about for a month.

WG
06-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I think it's more of being comfotable retiring if he is forced to.

If he recovers (and this is only mini camp he's sitting out on) he will play. I don'tthink it's all gloom and doom like it sounds.

Possibly, but as I've been saying all along, there hasn't been one good report about how things have progressed positively regarding his injury. If so, then I haven't seen it.

Secondly, no matter how you slice it, the situation doesn't appear to be offering much hope/positive. As well, it certainly doesn't appear that Jones is headed for his performance in his 2000 season of 13 sacks. Other than that, he really hasn't done squat in the NFL. '96 1 sack, '97 0 sacks, '98 0 sacks, '99 7 sacks, '01 3 sacks in 15 starts.

I simply think we're all holdin' our breath for nothing. Even if he's 100%, what're the chances that he'd be much more than McKenzie or Irons. I also think we're forgetting about Irons. He logged 2.5 sacks last season and didn't start a single game. He's in his second year now too. You just can't write everyone who wasn't a 1st or 2nd rounder off.

As to Kelsay, if he struggled against the best in college last year, then why is anyone expecting him to to better this year in the pros when that's all he's gonna face? Kelsay's gonna have a hard time adjusting to the pro level for a 2nd rounder. JMO.

The longer this Jones thing goes however, the more I think he won't be any factor at all. If he isn't fully healthy by the end of July, then we can write him off as being a factor for this season. It didn't cost us much to sign him if we waive him. His bonus is low enough that we can absorb the remaining 2/3 of it. Not a bad gamble by TD.

What is a gamble so far is his hi jinx w/ the OL. We have 6 men capable of playing OL on a F/T basis, that's it! Price is a T and can play G. We have no backup experience at C at all and Price is all we have as a b/u w/ any experience.

Bert102176
06-16-2003, 10:00 PM
could it be two MJ's retire in the same year, first Micheal Joran now this, dang it just can't catch a break.

Doc
06-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Jones' best season game when he was playing RDE for the Bucs, not LDE as he did in every other season but that one. I initially thought that he should be competing with Schobel for the RDE position, but he just may be the best candidate at LDE and thus a need to start there. I also believe that Irons played at RDE. Hopefully the Bills have Kelsay going up against Big Mike in practice a lot, because he'll only get better that way.

Demon
06-17-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Explains why they drafted Kelsay in the first place. At first it looked like a logjam at DE. Also explains why GW said that they had Posey line up at DE in passing situations.

Even if i knew Jones would be 100% at the start of the season I think Tom Donahoe would have drafted a DE. If Donahoe had insight info that Jones might retire i doubt he would have just sat there and prolly would have traded up to get a Mike Haynes or something.

If Jones does retire (which i dont think he will) then I think our defense will take a huge hit IMO. Everywhere i have read (Pro Football mid-season issue, Empire/WNSA and other magazines/experts) alot of them are predicting Buffalo to finish 1st or 2nd in the divison and one of the main reasons is they are projecting Jones to have a really strong season of 8 or more sacks and making the offensive line watch him and Adams more which would allow Schobel to break out.

Sorry, maybe i am not as optimisic as you guys, i just dont see Kelsay or Denney stepping into the starting lineup and getting 8 sacks and taking alot of pressure off Schobel on the other.

Adams and Williams arn't pass rushers and the more time the QB has the more our defensive backs will look silly........ esspicially Prioleau.

WG
06-17-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176
could it be two MJ's retire in the same year, first Micheal Joran now this, dang it just can't catch a break.

Yeah, and if Jones retires, maybe he can ask Michael if he can wash his car for some spare cash!

:D

WG
06-17-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Demon
Even if i knew Jones would be 100% at the start of the season I think Tom Donahoe would have drafted a DE. If Donahoe had insight info that Jones might retire i doubt he would have just sat there and prolly would have traded up to get a Mike Haynes or something.

If Jones does retire (which i dont think he will) then I think our defense will take a huge hit IMO. Everywhere i have read (Pro Football mid-season issue, Empire/WNSA and other magazines/experts) alot of them are predicting Buffalo to finish 1st or 2nd in the divison and one of the main reasons is they are projecting Jones to have a really strong season of 8 or more sacks and making the offensive line watch him and Adams more which would allow Schobel to break out.

Sorry, maybe i am not as optimisic as you guys, i just dont see Kelsay or Denney stepping into the starting lineup and getting 8 sacks and taking alot of pressure off Schobel on the other.

Adams and Williams arn't pass rushers and the more time the QB has the more our defensive backs will look silly........ esspicially Prioleau.

I hear ya Demon, I'm not sold on anyone at DE at all, especially Denney and Kelsay. After the Denney pick and as poorly as he played last season in limited opps, I'm holding my breath on TD's judging of DE talent. I'm not particularly happy w/ Kelsay either based on what I've read and seen and most people who aren't Bills fans but avid football fans w/ a knowledge of college ball that I've spoken to agree w/ me on Kelsay.

My thought is that if Jones were even remotely healthy, then somewhere, sometime, the Bills would have released a news item or update talking about how well his rehab and post-procedure progress has gone. But we've heard none of that unlike w/ McGahee. So I'm concerned about Jones. And when you consider that Jones' surgery was well before McGahee's, it certainly doesn't give you much confidence that he's gonna be fine. As well, even if the surgery was a success, what is to indicate that he'll put up much in terms of numbers when he really only had one very good season ever to begin with.

Further, I think to expect 8+ sacks out of Jones when he's had more than 7 only once in his career may be a bit much to ask under any circumstances. I think if we can get 7 outta him this year given the current situation w/o any additional knowledge, then we oughtta be happy about it.

Irons played the best based on my recollection although it was difficult to evaluate last season b/c they rotated guys so often that you literally had to check the # of the player prior to the play to realize who was in at the "other" DE position.

Irons played well however and I'm looking for him to step up if anyone does. I don't have much faith that McKenzie would be anything more than Ahanotu was although their styles differ.

I'd be a lot happier if the team released a statement indicating that Jones' progress is coming along well. Until that happens, who knows what's goin' on and we likely won't know until TC begins.

cordog
06-17-2003, 04:48 AM
WYS, TD was on Howard Simon last week and said Jones had been more active that week during mini-camp then he had been and TD went on to say that the team doctors are positive he will be 100% ready to go come training camp

Demon
06-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Further, I think to expect 8+ sacks out of Jones when he's had more than 7 only once in his career may be a bit much to ask under any circumstances. I think if we can get 7 outta him this year given the current situation w/o any additional knowledge, then we oughtta be happy about it.

True. But i was just thinking because he's quick and even if he does get less then 8 then he will take alot of pressure off Schobel. But i forgot where, but i heard Jones say about a month ago he was feeling better then ever. I think it was either WNSA or WGR.

I definetly think Jones will be starting though.

McClane
06-18-2003, 02:48 PM
From ESPN today:

DE Marcus Jones, Buffalo: Forgot the former Tampa Bay starter was even still around? The Bills, who gambled that he might return to form and signed him late in the '02 season after he was released by the Bucs, certainly haven't. They took a chance that Jones, who did not play a single down in 2002, could become a viable contributor again. For a team seeking a complement to right end Aaron Schobel, the dice could come up "seven" or snake-eyes at this point, but the reports are that Jones is making progress

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1569766.html

ryven
06-18-2003, 03:00 PM
God I hope not that could be a major blow

Doc
06-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Interesting to have Lenny P mention Jones among the other higher-profile players.