PDA

View Full Version : Moats and Maybin saw significant time today

BillsWin
09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Maybin has had a hard time getting on the field but not today. It looked like he was out there A LOT.

No, he didn't have multiple sacks (or even one....), but maybe the fact that he is seeing more playtime will help him develop. I hope it does.

He had two nice run stops and a QB hurry that I saw.

I've been saying for a while that if we are truly rebuilding, we need to let our young players play. That is something that hasn't happened in a while. *cough* @#$% you Jauron *cough*.

Get our first, second and third year players as much time on the field as we can to not only evaluate, but develop.

Enter Moats.

I'm glad to see him on the field. He had an OK game. Nothing special, but nothing horrible. I'd like to see more of him. Ellison is just not good.

I believe that had Batten never gotten injured, we would have seen the two of them in there a good amount this year.

Where's my boy Troup at? Williams is playing better than I thought he would, but still. Troup needs to be getting reps.

I really wish we hadn't lost Easley to injury....

Carrington is supposedly good enough to play, according to Gailey, but has been inactive because we've played pass teams and need more linebackers. Hopefully we see him play this week.

I can't wait to get Nelson back from the suspension. I think he instantly gives Fitz a nice target. They had a nice rapport in their time together last season.

Nice to see our offense move the football. I see it steadily improving.

Oh, how did Bell do? I've heard he is starting to settle in. We can only hope.

X-Era
09-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Maybin has had a hard time getting on the field but not today. It looked like he was out there A LOT.

No, he didn't have multiple sacks (or even one....), but maybe the fact that he is seeing more playtime will help him develop. I hope it does.

I've been saying for a while that if we are truly rebuilding, we need to let our young players play. That is something that hasn't happened in a while. *cough* @#$% you Jauron *cough*.

Get our first, second and third year players as much time on the field as we can to not only evaluate, but develop.

Enter Moats.

I'm glad to see him on the field. He had an OK game. Nothing special, but nothing horrible. I'd like to see more of him. Ellison is just not good.

I believe that had Batten never gotten injured, we would have seen the two of them in there a good amount this year.

Where's my boy Troup at? Williams is playing better than I thought he would, but still. Troup needs to be getting reps.

Carrington is supposedly good enough to play, according to Gailey, but has been inactive because we've played pass teams and need more linebackers. Hopefully we see him play this week.

I can't wait to get Nelson back from the suspension. I think he instantly gives Fitz a nice target. They had a nice rapport in their time together last season.

Bell played very well. He was moving the pile on the run and making a nice wall on the pass. He did have a false start, and also looks like he blocked the wrong man on a play.

billsfanryan
09-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Bell played very well. He was moving the pile on the run and making a nice wall on the pass. He did have a false start, and also looks like he blocked the wrong man on a play.

I noticed the same thing. Played very well but had a few mistakes. I can handle 1-2 mistakes a game from him, there isn't anyone that is perfect.

What i DID like was the fact that merideth was inactive. Him and bell splitting time was AWFUL for the offense. Everytime merideth entered there was a sack.

BillsWin
09-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Side note: I love me some Roscoe.

Oaf
09-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Bell singlehandedly failed to even touch the DE on one play which almost got Fitz killed. Fitz saw it coming fortunately and got out of it. He was going to have space to run or throw rolling left but one pursuer gave chase. Bell, being beaten from the first guy, was in perfect position to seal the second one and give Fitz the edge but didn't get a hand on this guy either and then sack.

It was only one play I realize, but it sure was a brutal one.

starrymessenger
09-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Agree. Bell still missed a few assignments and had a false start, as others have pointed out, but he actually looked like a real OLT on most plays.

starrymessenger
09-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Bell singlehandedly failed to even touch the DE on one play which almost got Fitz killed. Fitz saw it coming fortunately and got out of it. He was going to have space to run or throw rolling left but one pursuer gave chase. Bell, being beaten from the first guy, was in perfect position to seal the second one and give Fitz the edge but didn't get a hand on this guy either and then sack.

It was only one play I realize, but it sure was a brutal one.You are right. He was worse than useless on that play. Showed there is reason to hope overall though.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
09-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Moats will shine brightly once he gets some more reps. Fact.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-26-2010, 06:56 PM

Enter Moats.

Great post. Bell is progressing like he could be the answer atleast at one of the tackle spots. Troup got in there a couple of times in shortyardage but he's not playing cause of the same reason Carrington isn't. At least that's my guest, they're trying to combat the aerial attacks so it makes sense that Troup and Carrington haven't seen much PT yet. I think the next 3 weeks they will see a lot of playing time.

better days
09-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Agree. Bell still missed a few assignments and had a false start, as others have pointed out, but he actually looked like a real OLT on most plays.

LB may be more of a need than LT in the next draft.

X-Era
09-26-2010, 07:19 PM
LB may be more of a need than LT in the next draft.

I would agree.

Ebenezer
09-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Maybin actually had three tackles today...career best.

Ebenezer
09-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Great post. Bell is progressing like he could be the answer atleast at one of the tackle spots. Troup got in there a couple of times in shortyardage but he's not playing cause of the same reason Carrington isn't. At least that's my guest, they're trying to combat the aerial attacks so it makes sense that Troup and Carrington haven't seen much PT yet. I think the next 3 weeks they will see a lot of playing time.

There really isn't a reason to rush them in before they are ready. That could be counter productive. The team is not making the playoffs - bring them in when they are ready and have the best chance of success.

psubills62
09-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I, too, wish Troup and Carrington played more. I also wish that Easley and Batten could be out there, just have to hope they'll be able to contribute next year.

Bell seems to be developing. I didn't see the entire game and I didn't watch him all the time, but when I did see him, he did a good job. Really hoping he can become at least a decent swing tackle.

Moats is a guy I'm excited about. A former DE moving to ILB. If he can develop some decent coverage skills, he could be very good, imo. He's had a lot of experience facing linemen one-on-one (or two-on-one), and could be used in a variety of blitzes. Maybe put him on the outside on obvious passing downs and just send him at the OT's.

The only problem I can see right now is the absolute predictability of our defense. Where's the variety? Where's the disguised coverages and blitzes? Why don't we have guys moving around before the snap, trying to fake out the QB? If Edwards can't even do that with this defense, I have little faith that he could use Moats properly after he's developed to the point to get significant playing time.

Yasgur's Farm
09-26-2010, 07:27 PM

It was only one play I realize, but it sure was a brutal one.I dunno oaf... That seal you refer to... He took the only angle he could, but just couldn't get there. I don't think he blew that seal... I just think it wasn't possible unless Fitz cut it upfield a touch earlier.

X-Era
09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I dunno oaf... That seal you refer to... He took the only angle he could, but just couldn't get there. I don't think he blew that seal... I just think it wasn't possible unless Fitz cut it upfield a touch earlier.

And I'm not convinced it wasn't on the scheme that left him uncovered. It could have been Bell blocking the wrong guy, sure. But, I just wonder if a RB or the FB should have picked him up.

Nighthawk
09-26-2010, 07:31 PM

It was only one play I realize, but it sure was a brutal one.

So were Fitz's INT's...

jpdex12
09-26-2010, 09:10 PM
the guy I want to see is Wang! He might be starting at RT by this point if he hadn't been injured and considering the horrendous play by Green.

TigerJ
09-26-2010, 10:37 PM
As I said in the game day thread, in comparison to Edwards, Fitzpatrick absolutely deserves to start. He's decisive, and is willing to make tough throws when needed to convert third downs, and he makes a lot of those completions. Unfortunately, he also makes enough horrible plays to screw the team's chances in a close game. A terrible pass on a third and long cost the Bills a chance at a touchdown in the first Bills drive. They settled for a field goal. In the second half, Fitz had that beautiful looking pass right to. . . the defender sitting in the endzone waiting. As far as Edwards is concerned, I think he is history as a Bills starter, and deservedly so, but the Bills absolutely have to find themselves a starting QB in the upcoming offseason.

The difference between Fitzpatrick and Brady is that Brady just plain doesn't make the terrible passes that Fitz sometimes pulls out of his hat. If the Pills and patsies had switched QBs for today's game, the Bills absolutely would have won. That's not to say the Bills have to find the next Tom Brady. They just have to find a QB who won't hurt them as badly as Edwards did and Fitz will continue to as long as he starts.

Of course, next season is probably done before it starts because of the impending lockout, so who knows what the league is going to look like post lockout.

Beebe's Kid
09-27-2010, 01:35 AM
I dunno oaf... That seal you refer to... He took the only angle he could, but just couldn't get there. I don't think he blew that seal... I just think it wasn't possible unless Fitz cut it upfield a touch earlier.
When you reference that you "don't think he blew that seal..." I was reminded of a joke. This is that joke...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zNsG27-k--M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zNsG27-k--M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zNsG27-k--M?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" [="" html]="" height="385" width="480">

Ickybaluky
09-27-2010, 04:49 AM

I wouldn't be too excited about that. The Pats can't rush the passer and can't cover. They make every QB very comfortable.

As for this threat, Maybin sucks. He looks terrible. Just accept it and move on.