PDA

View Full Version : looking to the future

chernobylwraiths
09-26-2010, 08:43 PM
What I saw really had me thinking that I wanted Edwards back in the game. I mean Fitz was SO much better that we might actually win a few games with him back there. The offense looked fairly competent which is something I didn't expect, although I have heard that the Patriot's defense is pretty bad this year. I don't see them having a chance at winning the East this year, even with Brady. Fitzpatrick is not the answer at QB, though I certainly wouldn't mind him being our backup for years to come. I like his toughness too. I saw him try to give a linebacker a forearm to the head on one of his runs as he was being tackled.

I really don't know what to say about the offensive line. There were times when there were some nice running lanes for the running backs and others where people came in unblocked. It seems a work in progress. It is unbelievable how much a semi competent quarterback can slow down a pass rush. It didn't look like a jailbreak like it has over the last couple weeks.

Hard to evaluate the running backs since we really only saw one get most of the carries, and even he didn't get enough. Marshawn seems to be back to his aggressive running for a couple years ago. I think the suspension and subsequent being out of football for a month really hurt Marshawn and he couldn't get back into things when he got back with the team last year. I have always liked his style of running with never giving up and running over people. I wish he would be a little quicker in his decisiveness, but he has shown he looks good over the last two weeks. Hopefully he will be a good trade option before the deadline. Good for him and for the team. Spiller showed flashes of what he can do, he just needs a little room to run and to be given more opportunities. Poor Freddie didn't much of a chance today, but the guy plays with heart and I needs to have more touches.

Receivers were visible today! There was a Lee Evans sighting and we actually threw it deep at least once. Plus there were a couple times when guys got open and caught the ball over 15 yards from the line of scrimmage. It was really nice to see. Roscoe and Stevie Johnson both had a few nice grabs and I think I only saw two balls that maybe could have been caught, but would have been tough grabs. Tight end Stupar looked like he always does, but I don't believe I heard his name called for any penalties so that is good.

I don't know what it is about this defense, but when New England was running the ball late, I saw Bills defenders, mostly linebackers, being pushed several yards down the field. I mean if you can't stop a running play on third and 6 when they have run four straight times, you have some major issues. I have thought all along that this is the worst part of the football team. That is why I always thought we should have traded Schobel and Stroud. Get anything you can for them because they certainly aren't going to help turn this team around. Sadly, we released Schobel, be we could still try and get something for Stroud while we can. We need guys that can get pressure on the QB. Right now, we really have none. Most of our line is young, but we need that one stud pass rusher on the line. Our linebackers are really not that good. We need guys who are much stronger at the point of attack and have the speed to get from sideline to sideline.

Sadly, I think our dbs are taking a beating because of our lack of pass rush. You could have 6 Deion Sanders out there, but if there isn't a pass rush against guys like Rodger and Manning and Brady, you will get killed. I thought Witner had a very good game today. Yeah, guys caught balls on him, but I saw him all over the field making tackles and making some nice hits. He might not be an All Pro, but he is a decent player.

I really thought we had no chance in this game. They almost sucked me in after that return for a touchdown, but then the defense really couldn't stop Brady. I think what will be an even bigger test is next week vs the Jets. I'm not so sure they have that great of a team and their offense is suspect. They have a pretty arrogant coach too, so they might be overlooking the Bills. They probably SHOULD be overlooking the Bills. The funny thing is, with each loss, I get more upset over the announcers or officials. I mean I know the Bills are bad, but it sounds really unprofessional when a sports announcer calls our receiver a TE for the entire game. I never even saw a replay of what Johnson did to get the penalty either.

Well, hopefully the Bills will be able to get a really good draft pick and several really good players in the draft. They need a lot of talent to turn this team around.

psubills62
09-26-2010, 09:07 PM
1. I don't understand wanting to lose. We need to make the most of whatever draft position we get. I don't want to lose just to ensure we get the 1st overall pick. It's very possible to get a good to great QB even when you're not in the top 5.

2. The OL looked competent for the most part. Of course, as I've been saying, New England's defense is bad. Very bad. I'm hoping our offensive improvement was partially due to better OL play and better QB play, and not just our opponent.

3. No comments here.

4. I liked the distribution to the receivers. Steve Johnson looked pretty good, imo.

5. I saw them with only 6 in the box even late in the game. They sold out to make sure Brady didn't beat them, but ended up giving up the run. Not like Brady wasn't beating them even when we were in nickel most of the time anyway.

6. I actually saw our DB's being physical at the LOS, but to no avail with a crappy pass rush. We really needed to bring blitzers and mix up our defense a little.

7. Next week will be a good test for our defense and offense. I'd like to see our offense against a good defense. I'd also like to see what our defense can do against an offense that's not great passing. Brady has always been able to pick us apart, no matter what. So I wasn't terribly surprised to see him tear our defense a new one.

Ebenezer
09-26-2010, 09:10 PM
The bright side for me is that if they can't get a franchise QB in the 2011 draft then Fitz can steer the ship for another year and we won't look like a bunch of crap while losing.

HHURRICANE
09-26-2010, 09:18 PM
There is no future. I am preparing myself for the fact that Buffalo is not keeping this team.

I think there is a good chance that the team gets moved during the lockout if we have one.

Ingtar33
09-26-2010, 09:55 PM
There is no future. I am preparing myself for the fact that Buffalo is not keeping this team.

I think there is a good chance that the team gets moved during the lockout if we have one.

sadly I agree there is a strong possibility of this, and I'm also afraid this is the last season of Bills football too.

what a ****ty way to go out, but it seems to me that this might be it... unless the city of buffalo found that lucky horseshoe that its been missing for a century, this might be the last year of Bills football ever.

EDS
09-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Seeing Sanchez light things up the past two weeks makes me sick to my stomach. Just as it appears the Pats may be fading the Jets, with their solid D, are going to be tough to beat the next few years if Sanchez is merely a solid QB.

Thief
09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I think Whitner was partially responsible for 2 NE TDs. The long TD to Moss (he was supposed to be over the top), and there was a short seam route TD to a slot or TE (bit on play-action).

Hitting guys solidly AFTER they make the catch is not redeeming.