PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Learned: ALWAYS count the Bills out

OpIv37
09-26-2010, 09:32 PM
When it comes to Bills fans, I'm as die-hard as they come. I know a lot of you don't believe it, but there have only been about 3 games in the Decade of Fail that I didn't watch (and 2 were before the DVR days). I go out of my way to watch every game live, and I've made big sacrifices to do it. Hell, I live out of market so it costs me $300 a year just to watch the games on TV via Sunday Ticket.

Usually, when something comes up that conflicts with the Bills game, I say "**** that, the game's on." My family and my wife have grown to accept it. Well today, there was a semi-local event that my wife wanted to attend. I was tempted to stay home and watch the game, because if we actually pulled off the win and I missed it live, I'd be pissed. In the past, I would have stayed home and watched the game by myself.

But, my lack of faith in the team superseded my extreme fanhood, and I went with my wife. I DVR'd the game and went out of my way to ensure I didn't learn the score, and I watched the recorded game after I got home. It turned out to be a great decision, as the Bills managed their typical failure.

The Bills are so important to me that I am more than willing to give up other things to watch them. And I've said before that there is no such thing as a guarantee in sports. But when the Bills have as close to zero chance of winning as possible without the chance actually being zero, well, **** that. I love this team and I want nothing more than to see them win, but I can't continue to give up other opportunities in life just to watch them lose and end up pissed off (well, more pissed off than usual).

Remember "nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills"? Well, that ship sailed ages ago. This pathetic ****ing team is a far cry from those days.

**** Chan Gailey.
**** Buddy Nix.
And most of all, **** Ralph ****ing Wilson.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-26-2010, 09:52 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://rlv.zcache.com/hey_everyone_look_at_me_i_need_attention_despe_tshirt-p235646774040934370336x_400.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mmamania.com/2010/8/23/1638269/frank-mir-i-dont-think-cro-cop-has&usg=__jIHumUBEWiOPNX-boWzuHCc1jIY=&h=400&w=400&sz=34&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=2x9QA8VzSEIHLM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Di%2Bwant%2Battention%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1345%26bih%3D528%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=661&vpy=78&dur=2200&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=139&ty=249&ei=fgagTIDkEoP88Aaw_I2fDQ&oei=fgagTIDkEoP88Aaw_I2fDQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

G Wolly
09-26-2010, 09:55 PM
You were surprised we lost again?

To the Patriots no less?

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of this thread.

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2010, 09:56 PM
For the disparity in talent between these two teams, I think that Gailey kept the game as close as possible.

And I am not sure how this is Nix's fault since it is his first year.

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2010, 09:56 PM
BTW, what was your prediction for a score before the game?

I bet it was more than an eight point difference.

OpIv37
09-26-2010, 10:01 PM
For the disparity in talent between these two teams, I think that Gailey kept the game as close as possible.

And I am not sure how this is Nix's fault since it is his first year.

Jan Reimers is going to come in and complain about repetition, but it bears repeating: going into the off-season, our biggest holes were QB, WR, OT, 3-4 NT and LB. We got better at NONE of those positions. I've already given the FO a pass on QB due to lack of available options, and I understand that getting better at ALL of those positions is too much to ask in one off-season. But getting better at NONE of them is simply inexcusable.

So, **** Buddy Nix.

OpIv37
09-26-2010, 10:02 PM
BTW, what was your prediction for a score before the game?

I bet it was more than an eight point difference.

It's the team's job to win football games, not to simply surpass my personal expectations.

Ingtar33
09-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Jan Reimers is going to come in and complain about repetition, but it bears repeating: going into the off-season, our biggest holes were QB, WR, OT, 3-4 NT and LB. We got better at NONE of those positions. I've already given the FO a pass on QB due to lack of available options, and I understand that getting better at ALL of those positions is too much to ask in one off-season. But getting better at NONE of them is simply inexcusable.

So, **** Buddy Nix.

you probably could add TE and 5 technique DE too...

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2010, 10:05 PM
It's the team's job to win football games, not to simply surpass my personal expectations.
That is not my point.

My point is that you come in, with your ranting and raving, yet the team did better than you expected. So they did exceed what you thought they could do.

Yes it is their job to win football games. No doubt. I understand that.

I don't think you are getting my point.

OpIv37
09-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't care if they exceeded my personal expectations. A loss is still a loss. There is no asterisk in the standings for

*=exceeded OpIv37's personal expectations.

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2010, 10:08 PM

So, **** Buddy Nix.

I would say they did get better at LB than what they had - Torbor and Davis are upgrades over the 3-4 personal they had.

As for NT - this has been discussed - they addresses it in the 2nd round. You don't like the guy. That is fine. That does not mean they did not address it though.

QB, WR, and OT? Yep. TE? Maybe, but Nelson killed them with his love of weed or whatever.

I agree this team is terrible - but this game was by far their best game of the year. I am not sure why this team losing a close game to the Pats on the road is more worthy of a rant than the last two games.

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't care if they exceeded my personal expectations. A loss is still a loss. There is no asterisk in the standings for

*=exceeded OpIv37's personal expectations.
Forget it.

You are not listening. At all.

OpIv37
09-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I would say they did get better at LB than what they had - Torbor and Davis are upgrades over the 3-4 personal they had.

As for NT - this has been discussed - they addresses it in the 2nd round. You don't like the guy. That is fine. That does not mean they did not address it though.

QB, WR, and OT? Yep. TE? Maybe, but Nelson killed them with his love of weed or whatever.

I agree this team is terrible - but this game was by far their best game of the year. I am not sure why this team losing a close game to the Pats on the road is more worthy of a rant than the last two games.

I ranted about the last two games too, so I really don't see what you're trying to prove.

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I ranted about the last two games too, so I really don't see what you're trying to prove.

Meh.

Why are people acting surprised? Isn't this what we all expected?

OpIv37
09-26-2010, 10:41 PM
It's like this: several years ago, I gave up all hope of playoffs, let alone a SB. I'm just hoping for a regular season upset or two. Can we win a night game? Can we beat a team like NE, GB, or even Dallas?

I'm not expecting a win against those teams every time. I'm just saying that once every 2-3 years, one upset would be nice. But apparently, that's too much to ask.

The announcers had a telling stat today: NE is 13-0 against us over the last 13 games (well, 14-0 over 14 games now). Over the same stretch, they're 10-7 against the rest of the AFCE. Their victories over us have been a key difference in their run over the last decade. One or two upsets over a 7 year period could have changed things.

But, alas, that is too ****ing much to ask from this pathetic franchise. That's my point and that's why I'm ranting about this game. Deal with it.

G Wolly
09-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm not expecting a win against those teams every time. I'm just saying that once every 2-3 years, one upset would be nice. But apparently, that's too much to ask.

It's only week 3 of Gailey's first season.

OpIv37
09-26-2010, 10:50 PM
It's only week 3 of Gailey's first season.

Nix was here last year.

Modrak, Brandon, Overdorf and Ralph have been here forever.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss....

Electrici
09-26-2010, 10:54 PM
I can certainly understand the premise of this thread. My only difficultly is that for the most part, we knew this season wasn't going to be pretty. Honestly, I thought we would have won 1 game so far (my bet was on the Miami game), but that is not how it has panned out. All today did was show me that we need a QB. Fitzpatrick played well, except when things were really on the line. The O-line didn't look as horrible as normal (minus Bell, Green penalties) and I doubt NE expected such a game.

However, it boils down to winning and the Bills didn't win. This is the year to bottom out, with a promising group of QBs in the draft next April. I'll watch every game, but I'm not going to beat myself up over losing games. We've watched it for how long now? No sense in beating yourself up over it when losing will actually help the team in the long run - I hope.

And that's really hard to say, I've never ever ever want my team to lose, and I still don't.. but if and when they do this season, I think its for the good of the franchise.

PS: I didn't mention any of the other many holes this team faces, but QB appears the biggest hole.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Just think of this in terms of the movie Necessary Roughness vs Real life...

We're the Texas St Armadillos going up against the real life Alabama Crimson Tide, week after week, basically.

The Bills are like a bunch of walk ons vs a program full of scholarships.

cocamide
09-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Head coaches in this league are given three years. We'll get a top 3 pick in next year's draft and most likely get our franchise QB there. Then, we can pick up our left tackle. Add that to another two to three solid players on the front seven of our D and we'll have a pretty decent team. In the third year, fill in the holes that still exist.

We've waited a long time for a winner, so it's easy to be super critical of Gailey and Nix, but from their perspective, they have nothing to do with what happened in the past. For once, I think we have a couple of people with a plan, so I'm willing to wait to see if it pans out. We've waited fifteen years for a good team, what's another two?

cocamide
09-26-2010, 11:26 PM
BTW, how much did you drink at this "semi-local event"? You seem to be on a roll today.

Billz_fan
09-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Head coaches in this league are given three years. We'll get a top 3 pick in next year's draft and most likely get our franchise QB there. Then, we can pick up our left tackle. Add that to another two to three solid players on the front seven of our D and we'll have a pretty decent team. In the third year, fill in the holes that still exist.

We've waited a long time for a winner, so it's easy to be super critical of Gailey and Nix, but from their perspective, they have nothing to do with what happened in the past. For once, I think we have a couple of people with a plan, so I'm willing to wait to see if it pans out. We've waited fifteen years for a good team, what's another two?

So is 2 the number ? We are gonna do what in 2 years ? Im not being critical im just wondering what exactly we can expect in 2 years ? Will we

A. Have a winning record but no playoffs
B. Playoffs
C. Win it all ?
D. Just get back to .500

Personally I think the standard 3 years applys. If they have not produced a winning record (nothing else) in 3 years they will be history.

cocamide
09-26-2010, 11:55 PM
So is 2 the number ? We are gonna do what in 2 years ? Im not being critical im just wondering what exactly we can expect in 2 years ? Will we

A. Have a winning record but no playoffs
B. Playoffs
C. Win it all ?
D. Just get back to .500

Personally I think the standard 3 years applys. If they have not produced a winning record (nothing else) in 3 years they will be history.
Well, I guess I'm saying the following about the next three years:

1) This year. We know we have no chance. Develop our young players, and create something that we can build upon in the next few years. Trade Lynch or Jackson to get a third rounder in next year's draft.

2) Next year. Draft our franchise QB with our top-three pick. I'm not a draft guy, but Mallet seems like a good, and popular, choice here. Also, draft a left tackle and fill some spots on the D-line with free agents and other draft choices. Get some depth at o-line.

3) The third and magical year. We need to be competitive this year and make a run for the playoffs. It would be extremely disappointing to not make the playoffs in this year, and it would suck to have to start over again with a whole new regime in the following year. By this year, though, who knows what will happen? There could have been a lockout that completely changes the whole scenario, Ralph could have passed, the world could come to an end in 2012, etc. Regardless of these things, we need to be in the playoffs this year.

I'm just thinking that this is the current mentality of our new coach and GM. Of course we as fans want to win now. But in reality, our coach knows he has three years and he has nothing at all to do with past years. Hopefully he has a plan.

better days
09-27-2010, 04:19 AM
When it comes to Bills fans, I'm as die-hard as they come. I know a lot of you don't believe it, but there have only been about 3 games in the Decade of Fail that I didn't watch (and 2 were before the DVR days). I go out of my way to watch every game live, and I've made big sacrifices to do it. Hell, I live out of market so it costs me $300 a year just to watch the games on TV via Sunday Ticket.

Usually, when something comes up that conflicts with the Bills game, I say "**** that, the game's on." My family and my wife have grown to accept it. Well today, there was a semi-local event that my wife wanted to attend. I was tempted to stay home and watch the game, because if we actually pulled off the win and I missed it live, I'd be pissed. In the past, I would have stayed home and watched the game by myself.

But, my lack of faith in the team superseded my extreme fanhood, and I went with my wife. I DVR'd the game and went out of my way to ensure I didn't learn the score, and I watched the recorded game after I got home. It turned out to be a great decision, as the Bills managed their typical failure.

The Bills are so important to me that I am more than willing to give up other things to watch them. And I've said before that there is no such thing as a guarantee in sports. But when the Bills have as close to zero chance of winning as possible without the chance actually being zero, well, **** that. I love this team and I want nothing more than to see them win, but I can't continue to give up other opportunities in life just to watch them lose and end up pissed off (well, more pissed off than usual).

Remember "nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills"? Well, that ship sailed ages ago. This pathetic ****ing team is a far cry from those days.

**** Chan Gailey.
**** Buddy Nix.
And most of all, **** Ralph ****ing Wilson.

IMO it is always a good decision to go with the wife. You should have earned points you can cash in later on something important to you.

Novacane
09-27-2010, 07:00 AM

So, **** Buddy Nix.

The biggest homer in the world can not make a legitimate argument against this post. It is dead on. Nix did not improve this team and ANY of it's need posistions.