PDA

View Full Version : This is why you don't just settle for inadequacy

Mahdi
09-27-2010, 07:16 AM
This is proof that you should never just accept starting an inadequate player. I don't want to make this an "I told you so" thread, but for those who wanted Trent Edwards to remain the starter because there was apparently no one better on the roster, this just shows why leaving Edwards out there would have been a big mistake.

Yesterday we found out that Steve Johnson is a player, our OL can suddenly block and our RBs can hit a hole. We also found out that Roscoe Parrish is a capable WR himself and size means absolutely nothing.

Our offense needed to believe in itself and yesterday at NE I think they took a step forward towards believing in their abilities.

The other thing we found out is that Lee Evans apparently does run more than just the GO route and can catch passes over the middle.

Gailey also looked like the offensive guru he was touted to be.

Amazing what replacing Edwards accomplished for this team.

Beebe's Kid
09-27-2010, 07:28 AM
While I agree with your post...the same thing happened last year.

Edwards 1-5
Fitz 5-4
Brohm 0-1

Extremebillsfan247
09-27-2010, 07:30 AM
This is proof that you should never just accept starting an inadequate player. I don't want to make this an "I told you so" thread, but for those who wanted Trent Edwards to remain the starter because there was apparently no one better on the roster, this just shows why leaving Edwards out there would have been a big mistake.

Yesterday we found out that Steve Johnson is a player, our OL can suddenly block and our RBs can hit a hole. We also found out that Roscoe Parrish is a capable WR himself and size means absolutely nothing.

Our offense needed to believe in itself and yesterday at NE I think they took a step forward towards believing in their abilities.

The other thing we found out is that Lee Evans apparently does run more than just the GO route and can catch passes over the middle.

Gailey also looked like the offensive guru he was touted to be.

Amazing what replacing Edwards accomplished for this team.
Well I hate to be the one to burst bubbles around here but we can agree or disagree with the decisions made by this team. What we can't do as fans is to make those decisions whether we like it or not. So before your head gets too high up in them clouds about who wanted which QB, realize that we are just fans, not the decision makers. Who we want to start on Sundays doesn't matter period. So that kind of argument is really mute. JMO

DraftBoy
09-27-2010, 07:32 AM
I do love irrational reaction from fans based on one game alone.

Suddenly Steve Johnson is a player.

Roscoe's size means nothing.

Gailey is an offensive guru as well.

You can't be serious with this. Are you going to claim the Bills are a super bowl contender after our 1st win too?

Come on man, yes Fitzpatrick played head and shoulder better than anything we have seen from Edwards yet this season. But that's about as far as you can go, we still lost the game, we still are winless and we still are a laughing stock. One game does not revive the career of Steve Johnson, Roscoe's size will never be irrelevant, and Gailey's offensive prowess is still very much in question, you did see Spiller only got 7 offensive touches right? You ok with that out of your 1st round pick?

Jesus talk about setteling for mediocrity, you had a QB who was sub 250 yds with 2 TD's and 2 INT's, no 100 yd RB, no 100 yd WR, and a defense that has many holes as the swiss cheese on my sandwich for lunch today. What are we supposed to celebrate exactly? That for one game we didn't suck as bad as we did last week, even though we still suck? Woo freakin' hoo! :dance:

Mahdi
09-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Well I hate to be the one to burst bubbles around here but we can agree or disagree with the decisions made by this team. What we can't do as fans is to make those decisions whether we like it or not. So before your head gets too high up in them clouds about who wanted which QB, realize that we are just fans, not the decision makers. Who we want to start on Sundays doesn't matter period. So that kind of argument is really mute. JMO
Then this whole board and the purpose of it is moot based on your view.

Historian
09-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Well put, DB.

Mahdi
09-27-2010, 07:43 AM
I do love irrational reaction from fans based on one game alone.

Suddenly Steve Johnson is a player.

Roscoe's size means nothing.

Gailey is an offensive guru as well.

You can't be serious with this. Are you going to claim the Bills are a super bowl contender after our 1st win too?

Come on man, yes Fitzpatrick played head and shoulder better than anything we have seen from Edwards yet this season. But that's about as far as you can go, we still lost the game, we still are winless and we still are a laughing stock. One game does not revive the career of Steve Johnson, Roscoe's size will never be irrelevant, and Gailey's offensive prowess is still very much in question, you did see Spiller only got 7 offensive touches right? You ok with that out of your 1st round pick?

Jesus talk about setteling for mediocrity, you had a QB who was sub 250 yds with 2 TD's and 2 INT's, no 100 yd RB, no 100 yd WR, and a defense that has many holes as the swiss cheese on my sandwich for lunch today. What are we supposed to celebrate exactly? That for one game we didn't suck as bad as we did last week, even though we still suck? Woo freakin' hoo! :dance:
I didn't say anything about SB contender did I.

And last week many were bagging on Johnson saying that he shouldn't be the #2. Stevie still has a ton to prove but what he showed was that he has the ability to be a good receiver.

Parrish also showed that he can run a variety of routes and make plays all over the field, not just a gadget player.

Gailey mixed up the offense very well and deserves credit for a solid game plan.

Our OL allowed how many sacks yesterday?

Also I am fine with the way they are using Spiller for now. He had some very nice runs and I'm sure his role will grow in the offense. Lynch was very effective so giving him the majority of the carries was the right call.

Our defense is not that bad. They are just missing a pass rusher that can end drives. Brady was sitting back there all day. Edwards is going to have to be more aggressive because our secondary won't hold up for 5 and 6 seconds. No secondary would.

DraftBoy
09-27-2010, 07:49 AM
I didn't say anything about SB contender did I.

And last week many were bagging on Johnson saying that he shouldn't be the #2. Stevie still has a ton to prove but what he showed was that he has the ability to be a good receiver.

Parrish also showed that he can run a variety of routes and make plays all over the field, not just a gadget player.

Gailey mixed up the offense very well and deserves credit for a solid game plan.

Our OL allowed how many sacks yesterday?

Also I am fine with the way they are using Spiller for now. He had some very nice runs and I'm sure his role will grow in the offense. Lynch was very effective so giving him the majority of the carries was the right call.

Our defense is not that bad. They are just missing a pass rusher that can end drives. Brady was sitting back there all day. Edwards is going to have to be more aggressive because our secondary won't hold up for 5 and 6 seconds. No secondary would.

Yea I know you didn't, it was the implied comment...to follow the logic of the thread...you know, nevermind not the point.

Anybody who wrote of Johnson or Parrish over early season results is an idiot, its year three for Johnson which is the year for WR's to adapt to the NFL, and Roscoe has never been focused on as a WR so writing him off is just as stupid.

Gameplan seemed ok, didn't like many of the redzone calls, but it is what it is, it couldnt of gotten much worse.

Hey don't get me wrong Im happy with the way Spiller is being used because its exactly the way I said Spiller would be used this season. I knew in April this would be his role, and said it then, which is why everybody freaking out about it now is dumb.

No our defense is just plain horrendous, we have poor LB's, DL, and D's. You have a player or two on this D, but overhaul you need to dump the entire unit heading into next season.

Mahdi
09-27-2010, 07:49 AM
And BTW no one is settling. Losing is never acceptable. But having a QB who actually plays QB has shown us that some of the players on this team that we thought were useless after the first 2 games are showing that they can play when someone is playing behind center.

And I find it comical that you are talking about settling for mediocrity when it was you who was saying that Edwards should remain the starter.

Extremebillsfan247
09-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Then this whole board and the purpose of it is moot based on your view. It's not my view, its fact. Who wouldn't love to have the power as a fan to be able to make team decisions? That just isn't how it works in the real world.

The purpose of the message board is to express your approval, or disapproval of what the team is doing, display your level of fanship for the team, and to socialize with other Bills fans who may or may not share the same opinions you have. None of which have any effect what so ever on the decisions made by this team. I think the common misconception here is that fans think coming on a message board like this one gives them some kind of added power when it comes to the team, and that just isn't accurate.

Mahdi
09-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Yea I know you didn't, it was the implied comment...to follow the logic of the thread...you know, nevermind not the point.

Anybody who wrote of Johnson or Parrish over early season results is an idiot, its year three for Johnson which is the year for WR's to adapt to the NFL, and Roscoe has never been focused on as a WR so writing him off is just as stupid.

Gameplan seemed ok, didn't like many of the redzone calls, but it is what it is, it couldnt of gotten much worse.

Hey don't get me wrong Im happy with the way Spiller is being used because its exactly the way I said Spiller would be used this season. I knew in April this would be his role, and said it then, which is why everybody freaking out about it now is dumb.

No our defense is just plain horrendous, we have poor LB's, DL, and D's. You have a player or two on this D, but overhaul you need to dump the entire unit heading into next season.
The defense doesn't need an overhaul.

The defense needs a couple of key pieces added and the growth of a couple of young players.

This exact defense with either a pass rusher or Maybin stepping up, an ILB or Moats stepping up and the growth of Troup is a completely different defense.

I like our DEs, Poz would be fine as one of the ILBs and Ellis on the other side at OLB as well as our same secondary would be a solid unit.

Extremebillsfan247
09-27-2010, 08:04 AM

The defense needs a couple of key pieces added and the growth of a couple of young players.

This exact defense with either a pass rusher or Maybin stepping up, an ILB or Moats stepping up and the growth of Troup is a completely different defense.

I like our DEs, Poz would be fine as one of the ILBs and Ellis on the other side at OLB as well as our same secondary would be a solid unit.
We need a pass rush and a LB who can adequately cover a tight end. We are getting murdered every single week by teams with big tight ends who can catch a football. We do not have a LB who is good enough to cover that. Its money for any offense virtually every game and it wont be long before that gets exploited by every team we face this year.

Mahdi
09-27-2010, 08:06 AM
We need a pass rush and a LB who can adequately cover a tight end. We are getting murdered every single week by teams with big tight ends who can catch a football. We do not have a LB who is good enough to cover that. Its money for any offense virtually every game and it wont be long before that gets exploited by every team we face this year.
So I guess we agree.

better days
09-27-2010, 08:08 AM
It's not my view, its fact. Who wouldn't love to have the power as a fan to be able to make team decisions? That just isn't how it works in the real world.

The purpose of the message board is to express your approval, or disapproval of what the team is doing, display your level of fanship for the team, and to socialize with other Bills fans who may or may not share the same opinions you have. None of which have any effect what so ever on the decisions made by this team. I think the common misconception here is that fans think coming on a message board like this one gives them some kind of added power when it comes to the team, and that just isn't accurate.

It has been said " If you listen to the fans, you will soon be sitting with them". I believe however when a fan base agrees about something, the front office & HC can not ignore it.

This board reflects how Bills fans feel in general. I think other boards have a view in line with this one & probably some posters post on more than one board. I think the fact EVERYONE but a very few people on this board wanted Edwards dumped had an effect on it happening. JMO

k-oneputt
09-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Yeah well last month the experts around here wanted to cut Parrish, so go fiqure.

Extremebillsfan247
09-27-2010, 08:11 AM
So I guess we agree.To some degree yes, but the bigger picture on this defense is a bit startling. This team has a lot of work to do on defense. I'm starting to wonder now if switching to a 3-4 was such a good idea to begin with. Our defense wasn't great last year but it wasn't bad either, and now it looks worse. JMO

Mahdi
09-27-2010, 08:27 AM
To some degree yes, but the bigger picture on this defense is a bit startling. This team has a lot of work to do on defense. I'm starting to wonder now if switching to a 3-4 was such a good idea to begin with. Our defense wasn't great last year but it wasn't bad either, and now it looks worse. JMO
Maybe it had to get worse before getting better. KC's defense looked horrendous last year in their first year playing the 3-4. This year they added a couple of pieces and got their young guys some experience in the new system and they look a ton better.

Derrick Johnson was rumored to be on the block last year, this year he is a star.

Glenn Dorsey was looking irrelevant in his first two years and now he is a solid starter and is making plays at DE.

Tamba Hali is also producing and has 3.5 sacks from the OLB spot converted from DE.

It takes time but once our pass rusher appears or develops and we get some solid play from our ILBs this defense will be a good one.

justasportsfan
09-27-2010, 10:43 AM

The patriots have added something to their arsenal that they haven't had in years and this scares me for years to come. TE's that can catch.

While we put safeties on their TE's both our lbers and DE's could not stop the run in the meantime or get to Brady.

If we are to beat the PAts or any team ,we need lbers and DE's badly that can get to Brady, Rogers, Manning and yes, even Sanchez.

DraftBoy
09-27-2010, 10:54 AM

The defense needs an overhaul completely, not just a few key pieces.

Start with the DL, Edwards is solid, but Stroud has struggled to generate push. Just holding up at the POA isn't enough for this D. Whether Troup works out in the future or not, you still need some depth behind him which we currently have none of. Same at DE as well, where only Carrington is there and he is inactive.

LB wise, I like Batten and Moats as much as the next guy but you're talking about guys who shouldnt see starting tim till year 2 or 3 at the earliest. We have no pass rush threat right now and there is nothing to suggest Aaron Maybin is suddenly going to "get it". Ellis hasn't shown much beyond the preseason and Poz is not that good.

Our DB's are horrendous in our current coverage scheme and I cringe to consider how bad it may be if we maintained our mostly man 3-4 base, instead of switching alot to a 4-3 set.

This D lacks talent everywhere and has absolutely no depth. An overhaul is badly needed.

trapezeus
09-27-2010, 10:54 AM
i think the fact the bills are looking to trade edwards might suggest that edwards himself is truly disliked by the team.

what's the harm in keeping him? He isn't fetching anything of value. the QB position sucks with or without him. the reason to move him has to be how easily the team was and is willing to throw him under the bus.

Mahdi
09-27-2010, 11:10 AM
The defense needs an overhaul completely, not just a few key pieces.

Start with the DL, Edwards is solid, but Stroud has struggled to generate push. Just holding up at the POA isn't enough for this D. Whether Troup works out in the future or not, you still need some depth behind him which we currently have none of. Same at DE as well, where only Carrington is there and he is inactive.

LB wise, I like Batten and Moats as much as the next guy but you're talking about guys who shouldnt see starting tim till year 2 or 3 at the earliest. We have no pass rush threat right now and there is nothing to suggest Aaron Maybin is suddenly going to "get it". Ellis hasn't shown much beyond the preseason and Poz is not that good.

Our DB's are horrendous in our current coverage scheme and I cringe to consider how bad it may be if we maintained our mostly man 3-4 base, instead of switching alot to a 4-3 set.

This D lacks talent everywhere and has absolutely no depth. An overhaul is badly needed.
Just don't agree.

Stroud is being doubled a lot which is limiting him to just holding up. And as for 3-4 DEs that is their main objective. Not many 3-4 DEs get big sack numbers or hurries especially when there is no outside pass rush.

Poz is not meant to be the best ILB. I think he is a complimentary guy so we need another ILB that runs the show ala Lewis or Willis.

Then having a pass rusher whether it's Maybin coming on or someone else will free everyone else up. Right now, Maybin gets swallowed up by one blocker and I saw Stroud get abused by 2 OL yesterday. KW is a flash player, he plays in flashes in both the run and pass game. Having a NT that requires a double team will also open things up for the defense.

As for the secondary they are doing just fine IMO. They are suffering because of having to cover for 4 or 5 seconds which is impossible against a guy like Brady or even any other competent QB. The fact that Brady was holding the ball so long proves our DBs were doing their job.

McKelvin, McGee, Florence, Byrd and Whitner would start as a unit on most teams in the NFL.

DraftBoy
09-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Just don't agree.

Stroud is being doubled a lot which is limiting him to just holding up. And as for 3-4 DEs that is their main objective. Not many 3-4 DEs get big sack numbers or hurries especially when there is no outside pass rush.

Poz is not meant to be the best ILB. I think he is a complimentary guy so we need another ILB that runs the show ala Lewis or Willis.

Then having a pass rusher whether it's Maybin coming on or someone else will free everyone else up. Right now, Maybin gets swallowed up by one blocker and I saw Stroud get abused by 2 OL yesterday. KW is a flash player, he plays in flashes in both the run and pass game. Having a NT that requires a double team will also open things up for the defense.

As for the secondary they are doing just fine IMO. They are suffering because of having to cover for 4 or 5 seconds which is impossible against a guy like Brady or even any other competent QB. The fact that Brady was holding the ball so long proves our DBs were doing their job.

McKelvin, McGee, Florence, Byrd and Whitner would start as a unit on most teams in the NFL.

I think you're overrating a lot of our players to be honest. I dont think the DB's you list are any good as a unit. I dont think they properly cover for each other or communicate all that well. I think our LB's are horrendous and you took my comment about the DL wrong. Im not saying push for pass rush, I know where that comes from but they can and should be able to generate something from collapsing the pocket which they are doing none of.

I agree a NT helps a lot, but its not the only solution because we still have no pass rush at all.

EDS
09-27-2010, 03:48 PM

As of right now the defense needs three starting caliber linebackers, some form of pass rush - in the form of a linebacker or defensive end, an improved ability to stop the run - which probably means a viable nose tackle and a leader/playmaker. Factor in that by the time the team is able to draft /ordevelop those players, Stroud, Edwards, Kelsay, Davis, McGee, Scott, Wilson and Florence will be on the wrong side of 30 (for those that are not on the wrong side already).

justasportsfan
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
i think the fact the bills are looking to trade edwards might suggest that edwards himself is truly disliked by the team.

what's the harm in keeping him? He isn't fetching anything of value. the QB position sucks with or without him. the reason to move him has to be how easily the team was and is willing to throw him under the bus.

I guess Gailey gave us the answer. We got rid of Trent not because the team was willing to throw him under the bus but because they wanted to give the snaps to Brohm with the no.2 team even though Lee, Parrish and the other wrs and TE's were seen partying at chippewa this morning.