PDA

View Full Version : Trent is gone. What is the objective now?

Ebenezer
09-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Win games or get the #1 overall pick overall?

RoscoeMagic
09-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Win till we're out of it! Fitz can give us a good look at what we have in Stevie J and all the young guys on offense!

psubills62
09-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Win. I've said it over and over again - it's not where we draft, it's how well we draft.

Michael82
09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Try to win with Fitzpatrick until we are out of the playoffs, then put Brian Brohm out there.

Thief
09-27-2010, 04:35 PM
How about we try and win as many as possible AND get the number 1 overall pic? Because I'm thinking they may be the worst team no matter how hard they try.

SquishDaFish
09-27-2010, 04:36 PM
I agree Mike. NEVER root for losses. Always go for the wins its not where you draft its how smart and lucky you are when you draft.

TacklingDummy
09-27-2010, 04:44 PM
I agree Mike. NEVER root for losses. Always go for the wins its not where you draft its how smart and lucky you are when you draft.
Not rooting for losses but also not upset with a loss. This teams needs a franchise QB.

Philagape
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
I will never want to lose. When I sit down to watch a Bills game, I want them to win no matter what. Why watch the games otherwise?

Wanting to lose is wrong for two reasons:
1. Rookies are far from guarantees of anything. The bust rate is way too high to make the draft the center of any season strategy.
2. Because it's just wrong. There's something to be said for integrity. If the Bills aren't bad enough to get the top draft pick, then they don't deserve it.
A good team can be built from anywhere in the draft, and if the Bills FO isn't good enough to do that, then they can't be trusted with No. 1 either.

See my user title.

X-Era
09-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Option 3, try to win but lose as many as possible to get the #1 pick.

X-Era
09-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Try to win with Fitzpatrick until we are out of the playoffs, then put Brian Brohm out there.

In a non-playoff season, theres no reason not too.

TacklingDummy
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Lose now to win later.

DraftBoy
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Play to win at all times.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Lose now to win later. My sentiments exactly. Take the lumps now, go up the draft board, and get in the front of the line for the top prospect possible.

Philagape
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Nobody knows if they'll win later, so that's not an option.

shelby
09-27-2010, 05:06 PM
We need to win games. Period.

Mr. Pink
09-27-2010, 05:08 PM
People say you need to win to build a winning culture among players that they can build on in the future right?

Who wants to build anything towards the future with 3/4 of this roster?

Lose and lose often, purge the roster, bring in better players.

djjimkelly
09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
i chose lose as many as possible however trent starting would have helped in securing the 1st pick so its an oxymoron

X-Era
09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Lose now to win later.

In the long term, this is probably the best for the team.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Nobody knows if they'll win later, so that's not an option.
Then what is? Another year of 8th or 9th in the draft while the best prospects get snatched up before them? That's how we ended up in this cesspool. Unless there's a plan to trade up, throwing the rest of the season to move up into the top 5 has to be an option.

psubills62
09-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Then what is? Another year of 8th or 9th in the draft while the best prospects get snatched up before them? That's how we ended up in this cesspool. Unless there's a plan to trade up, throwing the rest of the season to move up into the top 5 has to be an option.

I will never understand this. How many great players besides Patrick Willis were taken shortly before us? Compare that to the number of very good players who were available at our pick that we passed on to draft someone who wasn't good.

I'll keep saying it until people start getting it - we just need to draft well. Do you really want a #1 overall pick and have the Bills screw it up like they do the #11 or #12 picks?

That is not how we "ended up in this cesspool." We ended up here because we passed on the guys who would have been the right picks for us.

People also are seriously underestimating how bad the player development was for us. Look at the Colts and Packers - they're using 5th round picks and UDFA's as very good starters. How many players can you say Dick Jauron and company actually developed? Off the top of my head, I can name more players that he seemed to hold back than ones that he developed - guys like Greer, Fred Jackson, Byrd. Guys who succeeded despite the fact that they were only put in due to injuries.

Philagape
09-27-2010, 09:20 PM

The best players are often found later in the round, and the draft. Many in the top 5 turn out to be massive busts.
"Best prospects" is far from a given. How can people not know this?
They ended up in the cesspool by drafting the wrong players. They could have had Ngata, Mangold, Orakpo or Oher, etc etc, from the same spots.
It's not where you draft, it's how well you draft.

VeggieMan14
09-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Win... we almost beat the pats we can still make playoffs... ill save my time by saying i get it you guys think im on drugs:brace: lol

jamze132
09-28-2010, 05:52 AM
I still don't think we will end up with the #1 pick in the draft and that would be bad for us anyways. Who is going to pay the rook $50M? The Bills? ROFL

And then you have the lockout. #1 pick twice in a row and all the sudden you have almost $100M committed to two rookies. Awesome.

billsfanryan
09-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Win. I've said it over and over again - it's not where we draft, it's how well we draft.

I agree.

If we try to "tank" to get a draft pick how will we be better?

If these guys aren't out there being held accountable and EXPECTING to win how will they ever learn to be winners? Can they be told "lose this year so we can get you guys a new qb, then you have to try to win"?

How would you evaluate what you have on the team if you TRY to tank? How would we know what we need in the draft if everyone is only 1/2 assing it?

If we want the culture changed, which i know i do, gailey has to hold these guys accountable and make them EXPECT to win every single game they play or cut them.

don137
09-28-2010, 07:08 AM
I am mixed on this issue. I am so sick of losing and not having a legit QB and I feel the Bills scouting department will be working overtime studying the college QBs. It has 15 years since we had a consistent QB and I want the Bills to get the QB they want. I want the Bills to get a great QB and not settle. A few years ago 4 QBs were slated with first round talent (Rivers, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger and Losman). The Bills tried to trade up with Houston to get Roethlisberger but Houston was worried the Jets who picked two picks after Houston and right before the Bills pick the Bills offered after them would take the guy they wanted (Duante Robinson) so they nixed the trade. The Steelers took who picked one pick after Houston took Roethlisberger and we ended up taking Evans and then trading up for Losman.
I also believe it is also not where you draft but who you draft. There has been many great QBs that were not the top overall pick. I am not confident the Bills will take the right guy anyways based on history.

Historian
09-28-2010, 07:10 AM
C. Look for a new city.

Night Train
09-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Everyone is so polarized on our QB situation, they overlook that our Front 7 on D can't stop ANYONE.

Montana in his prime couldn't win 4 games on this team. I almost expect our D to give up 30 + every week.

If Gailey is serious about this roster, then give the youth in the Front 7 some starts and get these " Vets " who are doing nothing out of the lineup.

elltrain22
09-28-2010, 07:21 AM
No real fan can ever hope for losses. Also, the #1 pick doesn't guarantee us anything b/c these bozo's in the front office has been effin up for years on draft picks.

NorthCarBills
09-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Always play to win, but I think it's time to give the younger guys all the reps they can get.