PDA

View Full Version : QB Ryan Mallett Week 4 Slider

DraftBoy
09-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Sliders
Ryan Mallett*/QB/Arkansas: His stat line against Alabama read 357 yards passing with a completion percentage near 66%, so why is Mallett sliding? In our Sept. 3 preview article we mentioned Mallett's penchant for throwing untimely interceptions. In the loss to top-ranked Alabama, the big pocket-passer tossed three costly picks, including a drive-killing interception in the second quarter and another that the Tide converted into the game-winning score.

Mallett's statistical accuracy is deceptive as open receivers were constantly waiting for passes to arrive or breaking stride to grab errant throws. The end result was the loss of potential yards after the reception. Mallett has the physical tools to lead a franchise at the next level, but his game needs significant polish. He is expected to enter the draft at the conclusion of the season. Even so, he will need time before he's NFL ready.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/27/risers/

BillsWin
09-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Could he slip to the second?

TacklingDummy
09-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Ryan Leaf Jr.

X-Era
09-28-2010, 05:50 AM
Could he slip to the second?No. And its easy to move around during the season. His final rank will be solidified in the off-season. IMO, it will be in the top 15 or even top 10.

DraftBoy
09-28-2010, 07:39 AM
No. And its easy to move around during the season. His final rank will be solidified in the off-season. IMO, it will be in the top 15 or even top 10.

Im not sold on that given his issues with pressure. I think with a pocket he's one of the best passers in the country but when the pressure gets to him he folds.

His coverage reads are still at times very poor as well.

THATHURMANATOR
09-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Ryan Leaf Jr.
My god man. WHO DO YOU LIKE???????????????????

You hate on EVERYONE...

k-oneputt
09-28-2010, 08:08 AM
That Alabama game helped him, not hurt him.
What qb hasn't thrown an untimely interception.
He has the goods and showed leadership against the best team in the country and almost pulled off the upset.

Prov401
09-28-2010, 08:38 AM
I've watched Mallett play a few times this year. There are such things as 'bad games', and I like it when a QB still throws for 350yds and a few TD's against a top team while having a bad game.

This is what the combine is for. Hopefully this year's class won't pussy out like every single QB in last year's class.

Buffalo Thriller
09-28-2010, 08:42 AM
He is a first rounder, hard to tell if hell be early 1st or late until end of season

hydro
09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Ryan Leaf Jr.

Flip-flop much?

Pinkerton Security
09-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Man, I know he did blow it a bit in the 4th but the dude looked amazing in the first 3 quarters, at least IMO...Id take a guy who carves up SEC defenses over pretty much anyone else

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2010, 09:24 AM

You hate on EVERYONE...
QB prospects are like Presidential candidates. The average person doesn't know what the **** they're talking about. That's why I stay (try to) away from both.

OpIv37
09-28-2010, 09:27 AM
No worries.

The Bills have no problem whatsoever reaching in the draft.

justasportsfan
09-28-2010, 10:06 AM
I heard the problem with Mallet is that he can be harrassed into making bad decisions when he is under stress/pressure. Kinda like Drew Bledsoe.

k-oneputt
09-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I heard the problem with Mallet is that he can be harrassed into making bad decisions when he is under stress/pressure. Kinda like Drew Bledsoe.

Oh, you mean like every qb that has ever played ?

justasportsfan
09-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Oh, you mean like every qb that has ever played ?

Nope, some players like Bledsoe were one of the worst qb's when under pressure. Guys like Rogers, Brady , Peyton are steady under pressure.

k-oneputt
09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Nope, some players like Bledsoe were one of the worst qb's when under pressure. Guys like Rogers, Brady , Peyton are steady under pressure.

Could have fooled me. I believe I watched a couple of Super Bowls where Manning and Brady were finally pressured {Giants & Saints }and things didn't go as well as they normally do.

That is the game in a nutshell. QB, protect qb, rush passer.

justasportsfan
09-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Could have fooled me. I believe I watched a couple of Super Bowls where Manning and Brady were finally pressured {Giants & Saints }and things didn't go as well as they normally do.

That is the game in a nutshell. QB, protect qb, rush passer.

What I'm saying is Manning and Brady >>>>>>>> than Bledsoe. Bledose was known for crapping during big games too. He wasn't known to be a clutch player.

Some players are easily rattled compared to others.

jpdex12
09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
If anything Mallet threw high on a hand full of plays and that can be corrected but what I'd look at is his body of work. Look at his stats over the last three years including this year so far and se how he is progressing. No one is perfect but you have to look at potential and qualities that you will have to work with. He gets fired up during games and has a good competitive attitude. He grabbed a few of his linemen at one point during the game and pulled them back in to the huddle. He has leadership qualities, he has physical qualities and he has mental qualities. He also has a good body of work to review and he has the potential to get better. If I see someone that has the potential to get better and a body of work like he has over the college career then I think it makes him worthy to consider as a potential first round pick for us if things work out.

Look at Phillip Rivers coming out of college, he had amazing games with 300 yard games, multiple TD games, etc. but a lot of analysts still wanted to crucify him for his odd delivery and cocky attitude. Look at him know.

I'm sick of plain Jane, boring attitudes and no fire in our QB's. I'm ready for Mr. Right! I'm also interested in observing Andrew Luck the rest of the year with anticipation as to whether he will declare or not.

Time will tell, stay tuned but I think it's fair to say that we will definitely see a big QB acquisition this off season whether it's FA or the draft!

justasportsfan
09-28-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm sick of plain Jane, I'm ready for Mr. Right!

whatever floats your boat ....

:jk:

jpdex12
09-28-2010, 11:38 AM
yup, that's the gayest comment I may have ever made...and that says a lot coming from a homophobe!

X-Era
09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Im not sold on that given his issues with pressure. I think with a pocket he's one of the best passers in the country but when the pressure gets to him he folds.

His coverage reads are still at times very poor as well.I agree that he isnt rock solid yet. I guess Im projecting and saying that by the end of this year, he will have sold enough teams that he's got franchise QB potential that they will think about him high in the draft. But, as far as right here and now, he's not a complete package.

tampabay25690
09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Could he slip to the second?

NO WAY

gonzo1105
09-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Who's to say he can't drop to the 2nd round? People are saying this now. If you had asked people if Jimmy Clausen would drop to the 2nd round last year would anyone has said Oh yea he can drop down that far. You wont know for awhile anything is possible but I wouldn't bank on him dropping to the 2nd round but it could happen.

Canadian'eh!
09-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Unless one of Locker, Mallett or Luck steps it up big time, I don't know if I'd be willing to spend a top 3 on them.

Even though there have been many #1 overall QB busts, you still want to take a guy you fell is as can't miss as they come. None of these 3 have that feel to me.

Why cna't the Bills go after a proven veteran? cheapness doesn't matter since a top 3 gets paid a ton.

Brees, McNabb, Vick... there were a LOT of guys available over the years and the Bills never even tried. All would be better than what we have.

tampabay25690
09-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Mallett reminds me alot like Phillip Rivers in his mobility and size but has an arm like Drew Bledsoe.
He is getting better every week.
VS Bama he had a few mistakes and that will happen on the college level.
He will be an early 1st round pick and anyone that says he will go in the 2nd doesn't watch much College ball.
I have said many times he is a bit immature but this year has matured 100 times over last year. He has a bright future in the NFL.

DraftBoy
09-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Mallett reminds me alot like Phillip Rivers in his mobility and size but has an arm like Drew Bledsoe.
He is getting better every week.
VS Bama he had a few mistakes and that will happen on the college level.
He will be an early 1st round pick and anyone that says he will go in the 2nd doesn't watch much College ball.
I have said many times he is a bit immature but this year has matured 100 times over last year. He has a bright future in the NFL.

He's had the same big time issues all season though.

His progressions have gotten better and when given time he can be incredible but under pressure he is horrendous. And Im not then only one saying that, guys like Tony Pauline (this author), Wes Bunting (National Football Post), and Chris Steuber (NFLDraftScout) are in agreement with me.

psubills62
09-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Unless one of Locker, Mallett or Luck steps it up big time, I don't know if I'd be willing to spend a top 3 on them.

Even though there have been many #1 overall QB busts, you still want to take a guy you fell is as can't miss as they come. None of these 3 have that feel to me.

Why cna't the Bills go after a proven veteran? cheapness doesn't matter since a top 3 gets paid a ton.

Brees, McNabb, Vick... there were a LOT of guys available over the years and the Bills never even tried. All would be better than what we have.

So basically instead of drafting a QB, you want us to travel back in time and sign or trade for someone? Brilliant!

In general, I'd agree with you that we don't want to spend a top 3 pick on someone who hasn't proven to even be a first round talent. But in this day and age, how many true can't-miss prospects are there? I remember hearing that phrase associated with guys like Aaron Curry and Chris Long, both of whom have yet to live up to a top 5 pick. There were plenty of people who had concerns about guys like Matt Ryan and Sam Bradford, yet both easily look like franchise QB's.

ddaryl
09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Luck Mallett and Locker have all taken a step backwards in the eyes of the draftniks...

at this point so far I agree... Who else is on the radar that is a 1st round worthy consideration, I have only been keeping an eye on the big 3

djjimkelly
09-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Ryan Leaf Jr.

td lol uve been pimping the kid the last few weeks.

well id rather a qb with some balls taking chances then the new jags qb

trapezeus
09-29-2010, 08:55 AM
forget the stats for a moment. i'm with the school of thought that you want a guy who wins. he should have won in high school, he should have won in college in big regular season game, and bowl games.

he doesn't need a rocket arm, but it helps.
he doesn't need guady stats, but it helps.

I think that confidence in the pocket and the ability to move in the pocket is an unteachable trait that is ingrained from winning. if you have been doing it all your QB life and getting good results, you know how to stand and deliver the ball.

if you are a project, it could take years to make things that need to be automatic, automatic.

i don't know which of the qbs in this class fit what i'm looking for.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2010, 03:14 PM

You hate on EVERYONE...
I like you and Lecter. wink wink

TacklingDummy
09-29-2010, 03:16 PM
td lol uve been pimping the kid the last few weeks.

well id rather a qb with some balls taking chances then the new jags qb
He looks like a good QB but I have a feeling if things go wrong he would turn into a Leaf and nothing has gone right for the Bills the past 10 years.

Ingtar33
09-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Who's to say he can't drop to the 2nd round? People are saying this now. If you had asked people if Jimmy Clausen would drop to the 2nd round last year would anyone has said Oh yea he can drop down that far. You wont know for awhile anything is possible but I wouldn't bank on him dropping to the 2nd round but it could happen.

I said that... a number of times. I said he was a high to mid 2nd round guy... i thought he'd go in round 1 just because people overvalue qbs... but that he was at best a 2nd round guy.

surprisingly no one overvalued him last year (i think i compared him to david carr, who i had rated about the same the year he came out... david carr going 1st overall was a comical joke)

As to Mallet, i had him pegged as a 3rd/4th rounder last year... this year he's got the look of a mid 1st rounder. I want to see more of him before i finalize that opinion, but i'm liking what i'm seeing out of him this year more then i liked what i saw out of jimmy clausen his whole college career.

Right now I’m getting the "no.1" vibe from Andrew Luck... he's certainly a top half of round 1 talent.

tampabay25690
09-29-2010, 04:08 PM
The funny thing is we can draft whoever we want.......

Ther probably wont be the NFL next year anyway................:(

X-Era
09-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I said that... a number of times. I said he was a high to mid 2nd round guy... i thought he'd go in round 1 just because people overvalue qbs... but that he was at best a 2nd round guy.

surprisingly no one overvalued him last year (i think i compared him to david carr, who i had rated about the same the year he came out... david carr going 1st overall was a comical joke)

As to Mallet, i had him pegged as a 3rd/4th rounder last year... this year he's got the look of a mid 1st rounder. I want to see more of him before i finalize that opinion, but i'm liking what i'm seeing out of him this year more then i liked what i saw out of jimmy clausen his whole college career.

Right now I’m getting the "no.1" vibe from Andrew Luck... he's certainly a top half of round 1 talent.

I'm on the same page.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Right now, both Mallet and Luck look better than Sam Bradford did.

Jake Locker has really hurt his draft stock by staying another year.

Ingtar33
09-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Right now, both Mallet and Luck look better than Sam Bradford did.
Jake Locker has really hurt his draft stock by staying another year.

I disagree greatly with this conclusion.

Sam Bradford had top 10 written all over him for 2 years... the only knock against him was his core body strength... but when he came out throwing those lasers in his only practices before the draft after packing 20 pounds of muscle on his frame i knew he was lock for no.1, and possible potential stardom

Those two don't have the same questions about the strength of their arm that Bradford did... but they still aren't in his league throwing the football accurately or his level of anticipation, and really Luck is probably about a year's more positive development away from being "Bradford" good...

On the field neither of them right now look as good as Bradford did at Oklahoma.

Locker was never a high pick in my opinion...I had him last year at around 3rd or 4th round talent, which is exact where he's sitting now (if not lower)... not sure where the hype came from for him. he is an impressive physical specimen, but he throws a horrible football, and can't read a defense to save his life.

Canadian'eh!
09-29-2010, 05:22 PM
I disagree greatly with this conclusion.

Sam Bradford had top 10 written all over him for 2 years... the only knock against him was his core body strength... but when he came out throwing those lasers in his only practices before the draft after packing 20 pounds of muscle on his frame i knew he was lock for no.1, and possible potential stardom

Those two don't have the same questions about the strength of their arm that Bradford did... but they still aren't in his league throwing the football accurately or his level of anticipation, and really Luck is probably about a year's more positive development away from being "Bradford" good...

On the field neither of them right now look as good as Bradford did at Oklahoma.

Locker was never a high pick in my opinion...I had him last year at around 3rd or 4th round talent, which is exact where he's sitting now (if not lower)... not sure where the hype came from for him. he is an impressive physical specimen, but he throws a horrible football, and can't read a defense to save his life.

Interesting insight....

I agree all the way. (other than that i still have not seen Locker play and don't know a thing about him personally other than the hype and now disappointment it seems)

I thought Bradford was a lock to go #1 overall even before he put on muscle. He just had it. and there was plenty of proof on the field of that.

Ryan I was less convinced of, but i knew he had the physical talent. Flacco I wasn't a fan of, but he has surprised me.

Just to prove how wrong I can eb though, I thought Aaron Rogers was a system QB and thought teams were smart to let him drop :(

TedMock
09-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I have not been impressed whatsoever with Mallet or Locker this year. Physically, both are gifted. I'll give them that, but neither has shown that true leadership cool that the good QB's have. Both have seemed unsettled from what I've watched this year. Of course, I have not watched every snap either. Luck, on the other hand, has impressed me far more in that regard.

Nighthawk
09-29-2010, 05:51 PM

I agree....and I've been saying that Luck has the next franchise QB look about him. I really would like the Bills to get that guy...of course, he'd have to enter the draft first!

better days
09-29-2010, 05:53 PM

I think there is a far better chance that Locker drops to the 4th rnd than Mallett drops to the 2nd.

X-Era
09-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Just got done scouting the game.

I didn't see a guy who got rattled in the pocket under pressure. I saw a guy who again this year simply played too risky and just threw it up there. I made notes of plays that stood out to me as plays where he showed he doesnt have a prolem dealing with pressure. I sense he still is a bit too risky and maybe over confident.

As a Bills fan, I would rather our coaches deal with trying to coach a guy to hold on to it than teach a guy to be willing to throw it. I think it may be an easier task. I like the swagger and confidence. As long as he convinces teams he's not a punk with an attitude, I think he can be very good. He has all the arm you would ever need and can make some very nice throws at all levels of the field. His poise and pocket presence is much better this year but still has room for improvement. And his ability to read defenses is also better this year as is his footwork. But, he still can make a few bad decisions like he did in this game.

I think if his attitude is right, his issues are very coachable.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=192364

Arctic Wild Man
09-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Go back and watch some of his games from last year and compare them to this year. He has made huge strides in his game. If he continues to build on his experience every game, he may be the #1 QB to pick.

Yes, he is still a little bit raw and does try and make big plays when none really exist on occasion. I'll take that in a QB. It shows his confidence in his abilities. A trait lacking in anybody we have had here in a long time.

Before everybody has premature mental ejaculation debating where he should be drafted, wait until the rest of the season plays out and see if he continues to improve.

SaviorEdwards
09-29-2010, 09:13 PM
His stock will be sky high by the time the draft rolls around. I imagine he'll light it up in the bowl and have an awesome combine showing off his measurables and the the alabama game will be a distant memory. There is a 0% chance he falls out of the first round, unless he goes absolute Jevan Snead (which won't happen)

X-Era
09-29-2010, 09:17 PM
His stock will be sky high by the time the draft rolls around. I imagine he'll light it up in the bowl and have an awesome combine showing off his measurables and the the alabama game will be a distant memory. There is a 0% chance he falls out of the first round, unless he goes absolute Jevan Snead (which won't happen)

That's too high of hype for me. I think in the end, he could easily declare along with Luck and he will be the second best QB on most draft boards behind Luck... And, I think its possible that he ends up with an early round 1 grade... not 1st overall, but in the top 15.

jcdavey
09-30-2010, 07:15 AM
it was ala fn bama lol

mallet is going to be awesome in the nfl unlike these 'college type' qbs, mallet's a pro type qb