PDA

View Full Version : The Bills will be quarterback shopping

X-Era
09-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Look, we all know we arent going to the playoffs. Or for those who want to be more optimistic, we are a very long shot. We know we have two QB's on trial right now; we are starting Fitzpatrick but Chan has already stated that they are wanting to start working more with Brohm. We know that none of these guys are Chan's guys. And we know Chan places a high degree of importance on quarterbacking. Nix even commented that this is a quarteback driven league.

Given all of that, and Trent's poor performance, it really should be no surprise that he was cut. Furthermore, it should be even less surprise that upgrading the quarterback position is very high on this teams list of priorities. Now, there is a chance that Fitz plays well enough to limp us into the playoffs... actually no, there isn't. And when the season ends, and Chan would have went through at least two quarterbacks, maybe even three with the same results, the next move ought to be fairly obvious. The search for a franchise QB will begin in earnest.

As far as a proven vet goes, theres a chance that Big Ben is let go or traded. The Steelers are done with his off the field transgressions and they are undefeated without him. There is a chance that Kevin Kolb may be traded since Vick is playing so well. But, we would be making a move for someone that their current team didn't want. In the past decade, how m any times has a team made a move like this only to see that player go to a new team and light it up? Drew Brees is the only guy I can think of, and he's a very good one, so the approach may have some merit. Still, the above transactions have many phases before we can even make a play. And that assumes that we will. So, what we are inevitably left with is the draft.

And so, a team looking for a franchise QB, with a very high draft pick and several possible first round caliber quarterbacks, is likely to be looking in that direction. At this early stage, Andrew Luck, Ryan Mallett, and Jake Locker all appear to be in play for a first round spot. We can argue about the worthiness of each, but in all cases there is first round talent. Don't be surprised to see someone like Blaine Gabbert sneak into late round one if he continues to progress and gets a big win or two. He's an exciting prospect and the NFL covets the position. Yes, many for these guys are juniors, but because we have no CBA and the new CBA will almost certainly have a rookie wage cap, waiting a year to try to earn more money will have limited value in the new system. We cant accurately predict where these players will be drafted yet. But as I already stated, on talent alone many are worthy of first round grades. And with the importance of the position, you can do the math. The rest of the season and post season events will dictate where they end up. So what could that mean for the Bills?

On the surface, spending a high first round draft pick on a quarterback is risky. But, its risky for every position and none are sure things. Recent history suggests you can have early success with a young franchise type QB. Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, and dare I say it even Sam Bradford make that case. The uncertainty is there though and no one will forget the likes of Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, and Tim Couch. But, if your the Bills and your hell bent on getting a new face of the franchise, you have the fire power in a high draft pick to get one, and there may be a few to choose from, odds are in favor of the Bills making that pick. Its a boom or bust proposition that could affect the next decade of Bills football.

The Buffalo Bills are at a cross roads. They have no franchise quarterback and haven't since Jim Kelly; the last time they made any dent in the playoffs. They look to have a high draft pick for only the second time in a decade. For the first time in many years, the salary for a high pick or the top pick will be more reasonable which aids a small market team. The writing is on the wall in this situation. The question for the Bills wont be whether to draft a quarterback, it will be where, and whom. Who knows, maybe the Bills will end up with Luck on their side.

Beebe's Kid
09-28-2010, 06:58 AM
You don't think Brohm or Fitzy is the guy, huh?

Night Train
09-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Andrew Luck is a redshirt Soph. with 2 years remaining, if he so wishes. With a pending lockout, I don't see him coming out.

I don't see anyone coming out early if they have a year left, with the NFL dead set on taking the 2011 season off with a players lockout.

I'm already expecting a college football only season next year, so cleaning house for Gailey & Co. may come easier than many think. Aging players will not be kept in mothballs for a year.

elltrain22
09-28-2010, 07:24 AM
We're not gonna trade for an established QB. I don't have "sources" but I am realistic enough to know that we're not smart enough to make moves that will help this team. We'll sign Levi Brown as our #3, and hope that a good QB will fall into our laps come draft day; that is assuming our FO does want to draft a QB (big if)

HHURRICANE
09-28-2010, 07:37 AM
You mentioned some recently drafted QBs like Flacco and Sanchez. Both those guys have the luxury of playing behind stout lines that give them time to develop.

I actually believe that Buffalo is a QB killer.

I still think if David Carr had ended up on a team with an o-line instead of the Texans he would have turned out to be a very good QB in this league.

Young QBs under durress learn bad habits. Losman, and now Edwards, both regressed have showing some early promise. That's a bad trend. By no means am I saying that these guys were ever the answer, but if the o-line is not being addressed with some FA aquisitions for depth/starters than we might as well draft a LB with th first pick.

TigerJ
09-28-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm not quite as pessimistic as you, elltrain, though your scenario is probably pretty close to the truth. I don't know who the expected veteran free agent QBs are in the next offseason. I know the Bills tend to be cautious in free agency, and premier QB free agents don't grow on trees, so acquiring one is certainly not the most likely strategy for the Bills. Does anyone really expect Ryan Fittzpatrick to be the long term solution as QB of the Bills. I sure hope not. I don't write Brohm and Brown off completely as possibilities, though Brown as a late round pick was never more than a long shot. Neither one will prevent the Bills from quarterback shopping in the offseason. And off course the looming NFL lockout is the huge X-factor in all of this. We just don't know what it's going to do to just about every issue the Bills face.

k-oneputt
09-28-2010, 08:14 AM
You mean Mark Sanchez doesn't suck anymore ????
Where are all those guys from last month ?

better days
09-28-2010, 08:33 AM
You mentioned some recently drafted QBs like Flacco and Sanchez. Both those guys have the luxury of playing behind stout lines that give them time to develop.

I actually believe that Buffalo is a QB killer.

I still think if David Carr had ended up on a team with an o-line instead of the Texans he would have turned out to be a very good QB in this league.

Young QBs under durress learn bad habits. Losman, and now Edwards, both regressed have showing some early promise. That's a bad trend. By no means am I saying that these guys were ever the answer, but if the o-line is not being addressed with some FA aquisitions for depth/starters than we might as well draft a LB with th first pick.

I agree with much that you say HH. In the past, both JP & Trent were ruined by this team. I also agree the same happend with Carr.

This is a new regime however & if you had watched the last game you would have seen the line looked better than it did the 1st two games.

I think Bell will look like a decent LT by the end of the year.
The #1 need on the O-Line looks like RT. That must be addressed.

I think the OLine will be addressed before the next season starts. I expect Wood at Center. The Bills picked up a guy already that they think can play Guard, so a RT in the 2nd or 3rd rnd should make this line respectable.

X-Era
09-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Andrew Luck is a redshirt Soph. with 2 years remaining, if he so wishes. With a pending lockout, I don't see him coming out.

I don't see anyone coming out early if they have a year left, with the NFL dead set on taking the 2011 season off with a players lockout.

I'm already expecting a college football only season next year, so cleaning house for Gailey & Co. may come easier than many think. Aging players will not be kept in mothballs for a year.Luck is rumored to be possibly completing his degree this year. At that point he has no reason to stay. Besides, you risk injury and can destroy your very lofty ranking if you stay. No, if he ends up being told he's a high round 1 pick by the advisory committee, I think he will leave. Only he knows for sure, but thats my take.

And decertification (which is happening) kills a lockout in all likelihood.