my conspiracy theory: is the fire sale on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

my conspiracy theory: is the fire sale on?

I'm wondering if Gailey and Nix just wanted to see what they had in live NFL action, and if they went into the season knowing they'd make wholesale changes if they couldn't get immediate results. 3 games into the season, and the fire sale is on: Edwards is cut and after months of holding out, they're taking trade offers for Lynch.

I wonder if they've thrown in the towel and realized that they have a heaping pile of **** as far as talent is concerned. It wouldn't surprise me to see more players moved (cut or traded) or at least benched.

I'm not saying that this is definitely happening, as I have no proof of that. The timing on the Edwards and Lynch decisions just seems rather odd, and I'm speculating to find some reason that makes sense.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: my conspiracy theory: is the fire sale on?

fire sale = rebuilding.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• RockStar36
      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
      • Sep 2004

Sure, I can go with it, and I'm OK with it.

I think they need the fire sale/bottoming out to really start over. This season is garbage and we know it, so why not cut your losses and start now.

Cutting Edwards was exactly that. Keeping him on the roster was wasting both the Bills and Trent's time. They knew he wasn't the guy anymore so they cut him. I loved it for that reason.

D & S Sports

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        fire sale = rebuilding.
        fine, but why 3 weeks into the season instead of during the off-season? That's what I can't understand.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

It's possible. I think with Lynch, they wanted to rebuild some of his trade value. His value was at pretty much its lowest point during the offseason. He's had off-the-field trouble, didn't play well in 2009, obviously wanted out, and Buffalo seemed to be prime to trade him. There were also no teams in dire need of a RB.

Now there are teams who need RB's, they've showcased that Lynch still has good running ability, and they've shown they're willing to hang onto him if they don't hear what they like.

The off-the-field problems will always be there, but his value is almost certainly much higher than it was a few months ago.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

Fire Sale = having something of value.

this is more of a "yard sale". Not even a good one where you get some descent junk. Most of these items will be picked up by the salvation army or left on the curb a few hours after the sale ends.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by RockStar36
              Sure, I can go with it, and I'm OK with it.

I think they need the fire sale/bottoming out to really start over. This season is garbage and we know it, so why not cut your losses and start now.

Cutting Edwards was exactly that. Keeping him on the roster was wasting both the Bills and Trent's time. They knew he wasn't the guy anymore so they cut him. I loved it for that reason.
              I agree totally.

The reason we have been so mediocre, and sadly not bad enough to get good draft picks, is that we keep our mediocre players around FOREVVVVVER...what we need to to do is move any worth value that ISNT part of the long-term plan (ie. Spiller, Wood, Levitre, McKelvin...hmm we dont have much of a core do we???)...any as you said, "bottom out" and start over completely. The Lions have started to do that now and are seeing improvements, even if they are minor. We arent seeing any improvements.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

We already know this season is over with. We are 0-3 and look like **** defensively and not that great offensively either. We are definitely lacking talent. I like the idea of playing the young guys now and trading the pieces that don't fit in this team for the future. Get lots of draft picks so we can rebuild this team completely and keep a few parts.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Not a conspiracy theory, about 35-40 of the guys on the roster now shouldn't be in 2 to 3 seasons.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

I would think Lynch would be a building block in the in the rebuilding effort. He compliments Spiller perfectly, although I know he might be gone after the 2011 season.

I'd want something good for a 24 year old RB with 2, 1,000 yard seasons under his belt.

In the rebuilding effort, Freddie would be a better choice to go, if we really want to pare down our RBs.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      I would think Lynch would be a building block in the in the rebuilding effort. He compliments Spiller perfectly, although I know he might be gone after the 2011 season.

I'd want something good for a 24 year old RB with 2, 1,000 yard seasons under his belt.

In the rebuilding effort, Freddie would be a better choice to go, if we really want to pare down our RBs.
                      I think it evens out. We'll most likely get a better return trading Lynch than Jackson, but if we keep Lynch then we'll have a better RB on the roster. So what's more valuable? A higher draft pick in the future or a better RB on the roster now? There's no easy answer to that question, but the logic seems to be that the higher draft pick is more worthwhile long-term than having a better RB in a wasted season.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        fine, but why 3 weeks into the season instead of during the off-season? That's what I can't understand.
                        I'd put something I inherited to the test before deciding what to do with it.

Trent was a 2007 Chrysler pacifica with a lot of problems that Gailey inherited. While it drove okay in city driving (preseason) , it sucked once it was tested in offroad driving. It was underpowered/had no balls.
                        Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-28-2010, 10:39 AM.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

I would like to see Lynch on Green Bay.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

If we get a high pick for Lynch, it makes sense. But if we get a bag of magic beans, it's a waste.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              If we get a high pick for Lynch, it makes sense. But if we get a bag of magic beans, it's a waste.
                              I agree with that. If all we can get is a late round pick for him, there is no point in sacrificing whatever little chance we have this season. If we can get something in the 3rd round range, trading him is a no-brainer.

And of course, if we do trade him, it will always be judged in hindsight. If we squander the pick we got for him and he does well elsewhere, the move will always be criticized. If he sucks and/or we get a great player with the pick, no one will care or even remember in 2 years.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X