PDA

View Full Version : Five Teams put in claim for Edwards

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Five-teams-claiming-Bills-QB-Edwards-;_ylt=ApyHpho293tVJpn8fyRJw1E5nYcB?urn=nfl-272924

Now if there's a decent interest in the man, why couldn't we trade him for anything? A 6th rounder, 7th rounder? Conditional? If the Ravens can sign Housh and then a day later trade Mark Clayton for a 7th, why can't Buddy Nix get something! Worst case scenario? Trent is our 3rd string QB, Levi is still on the streets. I don't understand why not get something for him cause there IS INTEREST.

Buddy Nix trade watch: 9 months, 0 trades.

RockStar36
09-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Just because people put a waiver claim in, doesn't mean they had interest when he was available for trade. The difference between giving something up and claiming him for free are two different things.

cocamide
09-28-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm just speculating here, since I don't know much about how trades and NFL contracts work, but if we traded him would the receiving team have to take the current contract he had with the Bills? If so, maybe it was too much for any team to take. Now they can just sign him for the minimum.

hydro
09-28-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm just speculating here, since I don't know much about how trades and NFL contracts work, but if we traded him would the receiving team have to take the current contract he had with the Bills? If so, maybe it was too much for any team to take. Now they can just sign him for the minimum.

If they pick him up on waivers they still have to pay him the same contract that he had with us.

RockStar36
09-28-2010, 01:17 PM
If they pick him up on waivers they still have to pay him the same contract that he had with us.

But they aren't giving up anything in return.

It's two very different situations.

Mr. Pink
09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd assume if 5 teams legitimately have interest in him, the team at the bottom or 2nd to bottom of the waiver process would be willing to give up a 7th round pick to make sure they procure the players services.

Obviously we weren't trading him to the Jets for anything.

wmoz11
The article is all speculation. It's got a freaking question mark in the title.

It lists the Jets as one of the 5 teams and then states that the team is merely discussing the idea - old, speculative article.

hydro

Yeah I understand that. Just clearing things up.

Thief
09-28-2010, 01:20 PM

It's two very different situations.Well, yeah. But, FIVE TEAMS put in a claim. If one was willing to trade for him, they don't have to "contend" with 4 others.

psubills62
09-28-2010, 01:21 PM

+1

We picked up Kraig Urbik on waivers, and reportedly several other teams had claims on him. Doesn't mean we were willing to give up a pick for him.

Mr. Pink
09-28-2010, 01:21 PM
+1

We picked up Kraig Urbik on waivers, and reportedly several other teams had claims on him. Doesn't mean we were willing to give up a pick for him.

We didn't have to in that case...we had waiver priority.

Bufftp
09-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Big difference from being willing to trade for a player and willing to claim one waived.

psubills62
09-28-2010, 01:24 PM
We didn't have to in that case...we had waiver priority.

Not if a team like the Seahawks claimed him.

And obviously the teams that didn't have waiver priority didn't try to trade for him either.

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Big difference from being willing to trade for a player and willing to claim one waived.

But what's do we lose by letting Trent rot as our 3rd string QB until a team offers us something?

I don't think we want Levi so bad, because A) we didn't even sign him to the practice squad and B) he's still a FA, meaning no one wants him.

If we get nothing by the trade deadline then we can cut him.

It seems to me like this was a hasty move by Nix to save the almighty dollar. Just like the Schobel release. What a shock.

RockStar36
09-28-2010, 01:33 PM
But what's do we lose by letting Trent rot as our 3rd string QB until a team offers us something?

I don't think we want Levi so bad, because A) we didn't even sign him to the practice squad and B) he's still a FA, meaning no one wants him.

If we get nothing by the trade deadline then we can cut him.

It seems to me like this was a hasty move by Nix to save the almighty dollar. Just like the Schobel release. What a shock.

Hard to say.

What if Trent was being a dick behind closed doors and they wanted him out for the betterment of the team?

OpIv37
09-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Just because people put a waiver claim in, doesn't mean they had interest when he was available for trade. The difference between giving something up and claiming him for free are two different things.
But if 5 teams are interested, then surely one team could have been talked into giving up a 7th to guarantee they got him.

Night Train
09-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Who cares ? Good riddance.

Do you want him back ????

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Hard to say.

What if Trent was being a dick behind closed doors and they wanted him out for the betterment of the team?

Betterment of the team? We're not really going anywhere this year and I doubt Trent's the kind of guy that would sabotage...he's a little pussy. If nothing else, we hold on to him until after the Jets game so they can't pick his brain apart for the betterment of their team, aka make us look worse.

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Who cares ? Good riddance.

Do you want him back ????

Who cares? Excuse me for wanting value and asking questions.

Of course I don't want him to see the field, but like I said make Brohm the #2 and cut him after the trade deadline.

RockStar36
09-28-2010, 01:40 PM
But if 5 teams are interested, then surely one team could have been talked into giving up a 7th to guarantee they got him.

Are we really arguing about whether or not the Bills should've gotten a 7th round pick for Edwards? Does it even matter?

RockStar36
09-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Of course I don't want him to see the field, but like I said make Brohm the #2 and cut him after the trade deadline.

You don't know that and neither do I, so we can't say for sure.

What I do know is that Lee Evans seemed happier than a kid on Christmas when Edwards was benched. I also know that when Edwards was "hurt" in GB, Lynch looked like he walked by him and said something, and Edwards popped back up. Things like that make you wonder how many really liked him.

Beebe's Kid
09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
With the 5098th pick in the 2011 Draft...the Bills select Levi Brown again.

Just pretend that's how it all went down, and you'll feel a lot better about it.

ddaryl
09-28-2010, 01:54 PM

obvioulsy the Bills rather have Levi Brown back and taking reps then to keep Edwards on the roster hoping to salvage a 7th rd pick for him..

Cutting Edwards was the tougher decision, the easy decision would have been to just let him rot and eat up a roster spot after it was clear he was never going to get it no matter who the coach was.

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2010, 01:57 PM
With the 5098th pick in the 2011 Draft...the Bills select Levi Brown again.

Just pretend that's how it all went down, and you'll feel a lot better about it.

No but we can package the pick with other picks/players to get more value. It just doesn't make sense.

The point is not whether it turns out to be Marques Colston or Kyle Calloway...the point is why not try?

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2010, 02:00 PM
obvioulsy the Bills rather have Levi Brown back and taking reps then to keep Edwards on the roster hoping to salvage a 7th rd pick for him..

Cutting Edwards was the tougher decision, the easy decision would have been to just let him rot and eat up a roster spot after it was clear he was never going to get it no matter who the coach was.

Levi can get reps on the practice squad.

Well then do you really think the Bills would rather keep, let's have a look at the PS shall we...Andre Anderson or Rob Myers...over at the very least TRYING to get something for Edwards for 3 weeks until the trade deadline?

Static
09-28-2010, 02:00 PM

It goes like this....

Guy 1: Hey Trent Edwards is a vailable for a 7th round pick.

GM: Hell No!!!!!

Later that day

Guy 1: Hey Trent Edwards is on the waiver wire

GM: Hmmm put in a claim if we don't get him who cares, if we do who cares.

Got this from an inside source.

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
You don't know that and neither do I, so we can't say for sure.

What I do know is that Lee Evans seemed happier than a kid on Christmas when Edwards was benched. I also know that when Edwards was "hurt" in GB, Lynch looked like he walked by him and said something, and Edwards popped back up. Things like that make you wonder how many really liked him.

That may be true, and for the Bills FO sake, let's hope it is.

Night Train
09-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Are we really arguing about whether or not the Bills should've gotten a 7th round pick for Edwards? Does it even matter?
He had ZERO value on the market. He should have been dealt a year ago for anything they could have gotten.

Now there's just more bad film on him. I can only pray someone in our division is dumb enough to sign him.

Jan Reimers
09-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Actually, we got a 7th for him - Levi Brown.

RockStar36
09-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Yesterday on Madden I was able to trade Edwards to the Colts for Peyton Manning.

I can't believe Nix didn't work this trade out. FIRE HIM!

Ickybaluky
09-28-2010, 02:12 PM
It goes like this....

Guy 1: Hey Trent Edwards is a vailable for a 7th round pick.

GM: Hell No!!!!!

Later that day

Guy 1: Hey Trent Edwards is on the waiver wire

GM: Hmmm put in a claim if we don't get him who cares, if we do who cares.

Got this from an inside source.

I doubt it goes down that way. I they are willing to take on over $1M in salary for Edwards they care about it. Doesn't mean they would trade for him, but he isn't a minimum-salary guy.

trapezeus
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
this is just like when losman got picked up by 5 other teams when the bills let him go. oh wait....and cue justa in 5..4...3...2...1

Ickybaluky
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
My guess would be the Jags. They are desperate at QB and have stated interest.

Vic Ketchman, who is the Jags Chris Brown, had this in his fan Q & A today (http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=9300):

Wob from Blairsville, GA

Please tell me that Gene is taking a serious look at Trent Edwards.

Vic: I asked him on last night’s radio show if he had interest in Trent Edwards and he said he did.

BTW, Gene is Jaguars GM Gene Smith.

Wouldn't surprise me though if teams waited for him to clear waivers to sign him, as they may want him at a lower salary. Either that, or they claim him and ask him to take a paycut.

PromoTheRobot
09-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Opi. I'm throwing out some lawn furniture. If you give me $10 now you won't have to compete with the local garbage pickers for it.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
09-28-2010, 02:33 PM
He had ZERO value on the market. He should have been dealt a year ago for anything they could have gotten.

Now there's just more bad film on him. I can only pray someone in our division is dumb enough to sign him.

We should have traded Trent right after starting 5-1. That would have been a slick move, eh?

PTR

gggbills
09-28-2010, 02:35 PM

So this article suggest teams that MAY put a claim in for Edwards. It is now after 4:00pm on the east coast...did any team actually put in a claim for Edwards? Does anyone know?

Dr. Lecter
09-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Not with this being the last year of his contract.

SquishDaFish
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
I was just listening to Sirius and the guys said 30 mins to go and NOONE has put a claim in yet

OpIv37
09-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Opi. I'm throwing out some lawn furniture. If you give me $10 now you won't have to compete with the local garbage pickers for it.

PTR

if I lived on your street and I saw that there were 5 garbage pickers out there every week on the night before garbage day, I might take you up on that. After all, if some other garbage picker grabs it before me, I'm either going to have to do without it or pay a lot more to buy it new.

Ed
09-28-2010, 03:11 PM
We've all seen Trent Edwards play football. If you were an NFL GM, would you trade away a draft pick for him? No, of course not. Draft picks are like NFL gold. Why would you trade something of value for something that has no value? The Eagles couldn't even get a late round pick for Mike Vick. So stop pretending the Bills could have traded him for something. Just be happy he's not on the team anymore.

psubills62
09-28-2010, 03:40 PM
So this article suggest teams that MAY put a claim in for Edwards. It is now after 4:00pm on the east coast...did any team actually put in a claim for Edwards? Does anyone know?

Jaguars apparently did.

unpaid_bills
09-28-2010, 04:01 PM
The real answer our front office doesnt know how to get a deal done probably wanted a higher pick and Egos got in the way so they cut him loose. Why cut him when (a) he is not making much for a starting or back up QB (b) he knows the offense worse case if Fitz goes down can come in ready to play (c) you have zero depth at QB now, trent has more starts under his belt than any QB we have.

In my opinion they should have parted ways with Trent before the season if not after his play (or lack of) last year if that was the consesus. They either have faith in the guy or don't. You mean to tell me they just now figured this out when Average Joe fan and the rest of the NFL "experts sees this? This type of thing just shows the FO just doesn't understand the game and inner workings of the NFL. Granted different people involved, but the Bills did it with Crowel, multiple times putting guys on IR, handling of Peters, handling the careers of B Smtih, T Thomas & A Reed when they are HOF players to cut them loose like they were trash, just to name a few. This is why the Bills frachise is where they are - a laughing stock (by coaches, players, announcers, media, other NFL fans). We finally have some "football" guys but they won't last 2-3 season someone new will come in clean house again see the cycle? This method of "handling" things is why the Bills dont get good quality free-agents also. The good players they Draft and develop know they are going to be treated as such (and not paid) so re-sign elsewhere to act disgruntled.

Call it the :surf: of being a Bills fan ...

YardRat
09-28-2010, 06:59 PM

But if Buffalo were to give up a seventh for someone who was on his way out the door, they'd be dumbasses for not waiting and taking their chances with the waiver wire.

casdhf
09-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Are we really squabbling about 7th round picks here? We got a 7th round pick for him (Levi Brown) BFD.

Yasgur's Farm
09-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Don't believe the "5 team" BS... Only 2 teams put in a claim... Jets and Jags.

It's fairly obvious why the Jets would consider giving a 1 week paycheck for the checkdown machine... Perhaps the same reason is what tilted the scale for the Jags as well.

Thief
09-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm just glad I never have to see him play again for the Bills. He was sucking a lot of the fun out.

And if cutting him with no offer insures that, then that's cool.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
i read no where in that article that teams had interest in trent before he was released. of course teams will have interest when they dont have to give anything up. out of the 5 that put claims in, i doubt the 4 that didn't get him will lose any sleep about not getting him.

better days
09-29-2010, 12:00 AM

It's fairly obvious why the Jets would consider giving a 1 week paycheck for the checkdown machine... Perhaps the same reason is what tilted the scale for the Jags as well.

I will bet that if Trent starts a game this year for Jax, that Jax will have a new HC next year.

better days
09-29-2010, 12:05 AM
i read no where in that article that teams had interest in trent before he was released. of course teams will have interest when they dont have to give anything up. out of the 5 that put claims in, i doubt the 4 that didn't get him will lose any sleep about not getting him.

As draz said only TWO teams put in a claim for Trent. The Jets & the Jags. It must be a coincidence that these are the Bills next two opponents.

Anybody that believes that, I have a nice bridge I'm looking to sell. I can make you a nice deal on it.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I will bet that if Trent starts a game this year for Jax, that Jax will have a new HC next year.

Garrard has looked even worse the past 2 games than Edwards.

As sad as that is.

Another performance like last Sunday and Garrard will be yanked for Edwards.

Jacksonville signed Edwards to play, Todd Bouman was their backup after McCown went down for the season.

better days
09-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Garrard has looked even worse the past 2 games than Edwards.

As sad as that is.

Another performance like last Sunday and Garrard will be yanked for Edwards.

Jacksonville signed Edwards to play, Todd Bouman was their backup after McCown went down for the season.

I know he has played bad, but worse than Trent? Really? I don't know because like everyone else in Fla outside Jax I have not watched them.

I said before, Jax made a big mistake not drafting Tebow. He is LOVED in Jax, the fans would have been patient while he developed & filled the stadium to see him in the meantime.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I know he has played bad, but worse than Trent? Really? I don't know because like everyone else in Fla outside Jax I have not watched them.

I said before, Jax made a big mistake not drafting Tebow. He is LOVED in Jax, the fans would have been patient while he developed & filled the stadium to see him in the meantime.

The game vs Philly was on nationally here.

Garrard who once protected the football, didn't make mistakes and made a few plays has turned into a sack machine who turns the ball over.

Tebow was demoted below Brady Quinn, that's all I have to say about Tebows future as an NFL QB.

madness
09-29-2010, 05:07 PM

:rofl: The reaction on this thread was worth the misinformation.