PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps TE left on a mutual basis

stuckincincy
09-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Speculation.

Not every player feels that NFL stardom is the pinnacle of his life. Not everyone cares to bask in a limelight, demands a "posse" of acolytes, adorns himself with bling, buys the obligatory Cadillac Escalade.

If memory serves, TE is a family man, and I assume has concerns for his family and their future. Let's say, after the taxation that dubbed him an evil rich man, he escaped with 1 and a half million bucks.

That's a decent amount to have in the bank, in reserve, to support one's family in the future. He's not a stupid man. Perhaps he just doesn't want to subject himself to further injury, and be unable to support his family.

He wouldn't be the first man who would leave a dangerous occupation in deference to care for his loved ones.

streetkings01
09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Doubt it........

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Yes and I have pretty unicorns and fairies dancing in my backyard . Nice thought but not true :)

stuckincincy
09-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Doubt it........

Yep - just a speculation, as I said. Nothing more.

Mr. Pink
Hey, maybe Trent didn't like being demoted, like Brohm in Green Bay.

And he whined, cried and pouted til the team gave him his wish.

trapezeus
it is a possibility. and the fact that he has been sent to the bench so easily suggests to me that maybe his heart isn't in it.

but he now is probably looked at as a back up. that's still good money with a lot less wear and tear on the body. that would be hard to walk away from.

Jan Reimers
09-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Maybe he just sucked.

Bulldog
Or, maybe Trent sucks moose balls and got excused from the team.

Dr. Lecter
Maybe he just sucked.
Now Jan.

He was/is better than many of the Bills QBs of the past.

RockStar36
09-28-2010, 03:05 PM
There is a very good chance that Gailey talked with him and said, "We're moving on. We can release you and give you a chance at a new opportunity, otherwise you'll be on the bench here" and Trent chose the release.

Again, lots of possibilities, which is why people need to settle down about it.

Mad Max
09-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Not likely.

G Wolly
09-28-2010, 03:07 PM
There is a very good chance that Gailey talked with him and said, "We're moving on. We can release you and give you a chance at a new opportunity, otherwise you'll be on the bench here" and Trent chose the release.

Again, lots of possibilities, which is why people need to settle down about it.

Chan looks like a guy that would do that.

stuckincincy
09-28-2010, 03:09 PM
it is a possibility. and the fact that he has been sent to the bench so easily suggests to me that maybe his heart isn't in it.

but he now is probably looked at as a back up. that's still good money with a lot less wear and tear on the body. that would be hard to walk away from.

He was a vet on the roster when the season started, so he was guaranteed this year's salary regardless.

I agree - I think his heart was elsewhere.

Jan Reimers
09-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I think I read that Trent only got paid for 2 (or 3?) games, rather than the whole season, because he was released early enough that he was not entitled to his full salary.

stuckincincy
09-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I think I read that Trent only got paid for 2 (or 3?) games, rather than the whole season, because he was released early enough that he was not entitled to his full salary.

I thought it was all due, but who knows, what with the Byzantine nature of the contract between the players and the team. If they didn't pay off the year, it would be rather odd. Companies shovel employees down the staircase and out the door with a signed contract daily, but pay contracted $$$ to avoid suit.

Dunno. My speculation may be totally wrong- perhaps he will sign with another club.

Ickybaluky
09-28-2010, 03:36 PM
I thought it was all due, but who knows, what with the Byzantine nature of the contract between the players and the team. If they didn't pay off the year, it would be rather odd. Companies shovel employees down the staircase and out the door with a signed contract daily, but pay contracted $$$ to avoid suit.

Dunno. My speculation may be totally wrong- perhaps he will sign with another club.

His salary of $1.65M is paid in 1/17 increments each week of the season, so he receives weekly paychecks of a little over $97K. The Bills paid him a little over $291K this year, but save the remaining $1.359M. The Jags now pay the rest of his salary.

stuckincincy
09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
His salary of $1.65M is paid in 1/17 increments each week of the season, so he receives weekly paychecks of a little over $97K. The Bills paid him a little over $291K this year, but save the remaining $1.359M. The Jags now pay the rest of his salary.

Thank you for the $ numbers.

I think that a team that keeps a contracted vet on the roster come the 1st day of the regular season is indeed going to pay the (entire) contractual salary. That's why some get axed the day beforew season start. I still contend that if he is not signed by another team, BUF is on the hook for the full year.

If he was signed by JAX, well, they pay, but TE doesn't lose any $$$.

Jan Reimers
09-28-2010, 04:14 PM
I think what I saw on BB.com supports NE39's numbers, but I'm having a couple of drinks and am too lazy to research it further.

Jan Reimers
09-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I think it was a blog in the Buffalo News, and the reason he was not entitled to his full salary was because he had not completed 4 years of service.

stuckincincy
09-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I think what I saw on BB.com supports NE39's numbers, but I'm having a couple of drinks and am too lazy to research it further.

Same here! :nod: