PDA

View Full Version : Denny is playing with the first unit.

Tatonka
06-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Second-year man Ryan Denney, who still has loads to prove, is playing with the first unit while Jones is out. Veteran Keith McKenzie and rookie Chris Kelsay are also contenders if Jones' knee doesn't come around.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030615/10034082.asp

:sick:

TigerJ
06-15-2003, 11:07 PM
He's the guy competing at that spot who know the system having been with the team last year. I don't know that I'd read too much more into it than that. We'll just have to wait and see who's listed as starter at the end of August.

Tatonka
06-15-2003, 11:57 PM
I have to say.. for some reason.. i am really just not that worried.. i just have this feeling that with all the rest of the talent that is plugged in, whoever lines up there will do very well. especially with posey coming in over their shoulder.. the tackle and running backs will have to pick their poison on who to block.

cordog
06-16-2003, 05:04 AM
I agree with you Tatonka, I feel the exact same way, I thought i was the only one not too worried about it

Turf
06-16-2003, 05:35 AM
It really seems as though the idea of Jones not playing is not just a rumor anymore. I'm almost ready to count him out entirely at this point. Which means, we really could have used another DE. Our most glaring weak spot again. This is the reason why we keep getting picked at 3rd to 4th runners in the AFC East.

WG
06-16-2003, 05:42 AM
IMO Denney is that last one to expect to see starting there.

Also, someone, or several, asked me earlier why I inferred that Jones may have lingering issues. Well, here it is;

"The most uncertain position entering training camp is left end. Marcus Jones has not yet practiced due to knee surgery done over the winter. Will he be ready for the start of training camp?"

With statements like that I'm not exactly consoled that Jones is gonna be fine. I haven't read a thing yet such as "...but he should be ready and in full force in x weeks..." or anything like that. All I keep reading is stuff like this where indirect concerns are raised.

I expect Irons or Jones to start there. I'm not worried if one of them ends up starting. I'll be worried if Kelsay, Denney, or McKenzie starts there. That'll mean we'll have excepted mediocrity (or worse) at the position.

As to who's playing w/ the first unit, who cares right now. I'm interested to see "who's capable of playing [well] w/ the first unit", not just who lines up months prior to any meaningful game. I'd wager dollars to donuts however that Denney isn't the starter even though by rights and logic, he should be having been a second rounder last year and now entering his second season.

Turf
06-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Yeah this training camp and pre training camp, mini camp, micro camp, atomic particle camp news is meaningless fodder.
Come the third preseason game, we'll find out who is capable and who will end up where.
At least there will be something to talk about then.

THATHURMANATOR
06-16-2003, 09:09 AM
I hope Denney can step it up but I don't have too much confidence in that happening.

Jan Reimers
06-16-2003, 09:11 AM
I'd rather see a Kelsay, Denney or Irons develop into a starter than an oft-injured, aging Jones or McKenzie. I'm leary of these guys after fiascos like Robinson and Jenkins.

G. Host
06-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I'd rather see a Kelsay, Denney or Irons develop into a starter than an oft-injured, aging Jones or McKenzie. I'm leary of these guys after fiascos like Robinson and Jenkins.
I think they plan on turning Irons into a "wall breaker" on special teams since the Bills have not had strong, big guy on special teams since Pike so he will get more snaps in ST than as DE.