PDA

View Full Version : Having a tough time understanding OBD thought process....

Commissioner
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
- 3 weeks ago after months of evaluation Trent Edwards was the #1 QB. Now he's not even good enough for active roster... so they cut him.

- 3 weeks ago Levi Brown wasn't good enough for practice squad, now he's on the active roster.

- The best RB is Freddy Jackson, and he hardly sees the ball during games.

- Chris Kelsay sucks as an OLB and is constantly getting burned, yet they signed him to an extension.

.... I just don't see any kind of plan or thought process playing out at OBD. If we are going to rebuild.... then lets rebuild. Trade Lynch, Evans... DON'T SIGN KELSAY TO an extension. Stick Brian Brohm out there not Fitzpatrick....

I just don't understand what this franchise is doing right now....

imbondz
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
let us know if you figure it out.

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
But Buddy Nix built the Chargers, he knows what he's doing.

:help!:

BillsWin
09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Calm down. Your boy Fitz is starting.

Wait, now you want Brohm to start? I'm definitely confused here.

Commissioner
09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
It's like they can't decide if they want to completely blow the team up and rebuild... it's like a half assed rebuild attempt.

And if you are rebuilding... you don't sign a player like Kelsay to an extension.

Commissioner
09-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Calm down. Your boy Fitz is starting.

Wait, now you want Brohm to start? I'm definitely confused here.

I don't give a crap about Fitz.... i just want to know that there is some kind of plan going on.

Billz_fan
09-28-2010, 09:39 PM
And people wonder why no decent coach wants to come to Buffalo. The people doing the jobs that "usually" make decisions like this aren't being allowed to. There is a different agenda inside the offices than what is projected to the public.

BillsWin
09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't give a crap about Fitz.... i just want to know that there is some kind of plan going on.

Well, from what it looks like, and this is just me guessing, hoping really:

Gailey was too proud and bought in to all this "he's fixed bad quarterbacks in the past" talk. We all know that Edwards can look good in shorts, and to be honest he looked pretty good in preseason. So, Gailey puts him in because he did technically win the job. (Although I doubt the competition was 100% open.)

When it became brutally obvious that Edwards was completely incompetent Gailey made the right move benching him. Once it became clear that Edwards was the problem (ie. Fitz outplaying him behind the same line, with the same receivers) and that he had almost no trade value he decided to cut ties with him.

This makes the most sense if the plan all along was to continue to evaluate. Without Edwards in the picture, Brohm moves up and it is my opinion that the plan now is to let Fitz lose a few games and then put Brohm in. Unless Fitz is leading this epic season turnaround, I think it is almost certain we will see Brohm start at some point.

They clearly liked Brohm to keep him on the roster rather than cut him. Now that we are 0-3 it makes it easier to start to develop and evaluate our younger players.

Maybe they did like Brown all along, but decide to A. Give Trent a last chance B. Keep Fitz as he is probably the best option as a number two C. Develop Brohm. That leaves Brown in the doghouse. Maybe he was good enough for our practice squad but with three other QBs it was more important to keep players at other positions.

He's back now so none of that matters.

Freddy not seeing time is a little disturbing but I think it is because we are showcasing Lynch. At least, I hope that's why.

As for Lynch, a rumor came out this morning that the Bills are now going to actually listen and discuss a trade. Before, they turned down offers. Now, it appears they are open to parting ways with him at the right price.

So in my opinion, Lynch WILL be traded and Brohm WILL start.

I'm with you on the Kelsay extension though. I don't think he's worth $24 million. He'll be a depth player at best once we get a LB in the draft.

topher180
09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Join the friggin club.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Sounds to me like he feels like this season is a total loss and is using it as a 20-game exhibition season to showcase and test players. Edwards failed so far. Who knows what's next?

don137
09-29-2010, 05:14 AM
I understand the whole Trent Edwards thing. Gailey thought he could fix him and judging by the way he played in preseason thought he was on his way. When Nix realized Edwards was a big part of the problem and he could not fix him thought it was best to cut him to prevent any controversary going forward.
However, I do not understand why Brown did not make even the practice squad. It makes no sense.
Hopefully Buffalo will get at least a low second or third round pick for him. I just do not see someone giving up a second rounder for someone with more baggage then a UsAir terminal.

shelby
09-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Brown's hissy fit on twitter when he wasn't signed to the PS earlier this season was freaking classic.

i have to believe the Bills are looking to draft our next franchise QB in 2011.

Night Train
09-29-2010, 07:09 AM
We KNOW what the problem is at OBD.

:monte:

ddaryl
09-29-2010, 07:28 AM
I understand the whole Trent Edwards thing. Gailey thought he could fix him and judging by the way he played in preseason thought he was on his way. When Nix realized Edwards was a big part of the problem and he could not fix him thought it was best to cut him to prevent any controversary going forward.
However, I do not understand why Brown did not make even the practice squad. It makes no sense.
Hopefully Buffalo will get at least a low second or third round pick for him. I just do not see someone giving up a second rounder for someone with more baggage then a UsAir terminal.

Ok I fully agree with paragraph #1

Paragraph #2, I also get

Paragraph #3 is missing important information, and I assume it is one of our RB's ?

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-29-2010, 07:29 AM
3 weeks ago after months of evaluation Trent Edwards was the #1 QB. Now he's not even good enough for active roster... so they cut him.

They thought they could get through another season with Trent. During the preseason, when there are base defenses and no blitz packages, Trent look serviceable. OBD thought that he will be good enough. When the bullets flew and Trent failed, they ditched him.

- 3 weeks ago Levi Brown wasn't good enough for practice squad, now he's on the active roster.

Levi knows the playbook, why pay someone else to be a third string QB?

The only thing I can think of is that they are hoping to get something for Marshawn and they are showcasing him.

- Chris Kelsay sucks as an OLB and is constantly getting burned, yet they signed him to an extension.

I don't think they have signed him yet, but they must feel he does some good things and would possibly work out with a better LB corps.

I can only think they had no hope for this season and they are evaluating the current roster to see who they are going to eventually keep and are most likely going to determine which players have no future with their team.
Hope that helps.

stuckincincy
09-29-2010, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=don137
[/QUOTE]

With weaknesses in other areas, it seems to me that taking up a PS spot with a 7th round qb would have been a luxury best left to stronger clubs.

I don't study other NFL ps rosters, but my guess is that putting a rookie like Brown on theirs is uncommon. I follow the B'gals here (mostly to see what dumb thing they do next), and I don't have any concrete memories of them carrying one.

An exception being Brohm with GB, of course.

PromoTheRobot
09-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Bob DiCesare does a good job explaining in his column today. Unlike the rest of the media knee jerk response.

PTR

Extremebillsfan247
09-29-2010, 07:40 AM
- 3 weeks ago after months of evaluation Trent Edwards was the #1 QB. Now he's not even good enough for active roster... so they cut him.

.... I just don't see any kind of plan or thought process playing out at OBD. If we are going to rebuild.... then lets rebuild. Trade Lynch, Evans... DON'T SIGN KELSAY TO an extension. Stick Brian Brohm out there not Fitzpatrick....

First, Edwards got the starting job because both Brohm and Fitzpatrick failed in their efforts to seperate themselves from the pack of 3. So Gailey went with the same format this team had last year. He forced Edwards to either perform during the regular season or get replaced, and Fitzpatrick is now in the same boat Edwards was. If he messes it up, Brohm will be next and Fitzpatrick will be gone. This is an extensive process of elimination to find the best of the 3 and we are down to 2 left.

The reason Brown didn't make the final 53man cut is because Gailey felt that one of the top 3 QBs would give him the best chance of winning this year which is what he does eventually want to do. He did like Brown but the Bills front office was pretty adamant about only keeping 3 QBs on the roster. Gailey had little choice but to cut him. JMO.

DesertFox24
09-29-2010, 07:43 AM

They cut Levi because most teams only keep three QBs either 2 active and 1 PS or 3 active. The reason for this is the top 2 get bills offense reps and the third gets scout team reps. If the bills had signed Brown to PS he would have gotten no reps so they would not be developing him.

Now we can all agree Edwards looked good in preseason and as a result he did win the job. He sucked and they decided to let him go and promote Brohm to number 2 and did not want to make Edwards scout team because that is kind of wrong, plus he would have been inactive every week.

The bills tried to do the right thing with him.

Lynch has been playing really well right now, and Freddy has the loan rushing TD.

I have no idea about Kelsay.

Mad Bomber
09-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Join the friggin club.
Exactly.

I think that most everyone on this board is dumbfounded about the decisions that this organization is making.

The Kelsay extension is what really pisses me off. I couldn't understand why they gave him so much money in 2007, and after watching him live at the opener and on TV (actually my computer) for the next two, I thought he should have at least be benched, at worst cut.

To extend him was an absolute travesty.