X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Rationalizing the Kelsay signing...

I can't believe I'm actually going to try and do this but I will. Don't get me wrong, I hate the extension but I think I am understanding why they are doing this....

First, read these two articles....

When the Miami Dolphins open the 2010 season they will be going to a modified version...

How would the Buffalo Bills look if they ran Nick Saban's Alabama defense?That might be the style they're after.Since the Bills announced they were switching to a 3-4 defense, coach Chan Gailey and coordinator George Edwards have been careful not to provide further details.

From what I am piecing together through research on why this happened to us it looks like they like Kelsay as a hybrid guy that can easily switch from 3-4 to 4-3 looks. Everyone, including the coaching staff know that Kelsay is not a pass rusher but he does do a good job holding his side and making tackles. If you look at the DL rankings for 2009 he is ranked among the highest of all NFL DLmen for tackles. He is good a shedding blocks and making tackles, that is for sure.

At the end of the day football is about tackling so I guess Kelsay is tops in that department and once they get a real pass rusher on the other side or Maybin turns the corner (literally) we will have a balanced LB corps.

Again, I know he's not the best option but I think the Bills see Kelsay as their Matt Roth or Jarret Johnson.
  • billz83
    • Mar 2010

Re: Rationalizing the Kelsay signing...

UM NO Kelsay is garbage and i know u got a headache trying to rationalize moves by a buncha crackheads...u cant rationalize their thinking because it is done while they are smokin rocks...ralph wilsonz decade of FAILURE continues with his most recognizable FAILURE chris kelsay...the scrub cant do **** right..we cut captain checkdown and then give kelsay an extension?!?! ive seen crackheads make better decisions then that them rockz they smokin must be outta this world..
    Last edited by billz83; 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

Matt Roth can actually get after the passer however.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
        Matt Roth can actually get after the passer however.
        He has zero sacks this year and starts for Cleveland. Matt Roth is not a better pass rusher than Kelsay.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

kelsays stats don't ever show how many tackles he is holding onto 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. F him.

i get that you want to look at this and say, "someone somewhere must be finding some logic to make such a stupid decision." but the truth is: there isn't. The bills do things just because it's a different day. tomorrow could bring the release of moorman ("we are trying to go a different direction"), the signing of losman ("we think we can work with him"), trading for a 7th round pick ("draft picks are essential and good value can be found everywhere.")

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mahdi
            He has zero sacks this year and starts for Cleveland. Matt Roth is not a better pass rusher than Kelsay.

Roth had 4 sacks last year with Cleveland in 6 games.

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Roth had 4 sacks last year with Cleveland in 6 games.
              So. Does that mean he was going to end up with 12? His production at the NFL level has never been that of a pass rusher. He is a balanced OLB/DE, like Kelsay.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

So. Does that mean he was going to end up with 12? His production at the NFL level has never been that of a pass rusher. He is a balanced OLB/DE, like Kelsay.

He's started 29 games and has 16.5 sacks over his career.

In comparison, Kelsay has started 88 games and has 22 sacks.

But yeah, he's not a better pass rusher, you're right.

In addition, Roth is on a one year 1.8 million dollar contract as opposed to the ridiculousness Kelsay gets paid.
                Last edited by Mr. Pink; 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• GreedoII
                  • Aug 2007

He will be released at some point because that's what this FO does. It's probably cap friendly and there is no cap next yr. Plus how much is he getting up front. It could be a back end deal. He will be released next yr. Wait and see. If they did what they did to Edwards what makes you think they won't do the same with this worthless POS.

Comment

• EDS
                    • Jan 2003

He's started 29 games and has 16.5 sacks over his career.

In comparison, Kelsay has started 88 games and has 22 sacks.

But yeah, he's not a better pass rusher, you're right.

In addition, Roth is on a one year 1.8 million dollar contract as opposed to the ridiculousness Kelsay gets paid.
                    Plus it is not like Roth is that good anyway, so comparing Kelsay to him is hardly a feather in Kelsay's cap. If we were comparing him to James Harrison it would be one thing.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by EDS
                      Plus it is not like Roth is that good anyway, so comparing Kelsay to him is hardly a feather in Kelsay's cap. If we were comparing him to James Harrison it would be one thing.

I wasn't trying to say Roth was good. He's been a colossal disappointment as he was also once a 2nd round draft choice-that's where the similarities end between him and Kelsay though.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

I wasn't trying to say Roth was good. He's been a colossal disappointment as he was also once a 2nd round draft choice-that's where the similarities end between him and Kelsay though.
                        I realize you were not saying he was any good. Just pointing out the folly in comparing the two - as in, so what if he is as good as Roth.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

I can't believe I'm actually going to try and do this but I will. Don't get me wrong, I hate the extension but I think I am understanding why they are doing this....

First, read these two articles....

When the Miami Dolphins open the 2010 season they will be going to a modified version...

How would the Buffalo Bills look if they ran Nick Saban's Alabama defense?That might be the style they're after.Since the Bills announced they were switching to a 3-4 defense, coach Chan Gailey and coordinator George Edwards have been careful not to provide further details.

From what I am piecing together through research on why this happened to us it looks like they like Kelsay as a hybrid guy that can easily switch from 3-4 to 4-3 looks. Everyone, including the coaching staff know that Kelsay is not a pass rusher but he does do a good job holding his side and making tackles. If you look at the DL rankings for 2009 he is ranked among the highest of all NFL DLmen for tackles. He is good a shedding blocks and making tackles, that is for sure.

At the end of the day football is about tackling so I guess Kelsay is tops in that department and once they get a real pass rusher on the other side or Maybin turns the corner (literally) we will have a balanced LB corps.

Again, I know he's not the best option but I think the Bills see Kelsay as their Matt Roth or Jarret Johnson.
                          All 4 starting buffalo defensive lineman last year were amoungst the "leaders" in tackles for defensive lineman, yet the Bills had one of the worst run defenses (if not the worst) in the league.

Hmm.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by EDS
                            All 4 starting buffalo defensive lineman last year were amoungst the "leaders" in tackles for defensive lineman, yet the Bills had one of the worst run defenses (if not the worst) in the league.

Hmm.
                            Tackles aren't an official stat, which is why they vary so much depending on where you find them. They really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Commissioner
                              • Dec 2004

I would be surprised if Kelsay actually started on another team.

This a massively dumb signing and is another example of why the Bills will continue to be irrelevant in the NFL. We make millionaires out of guys that would make other rosters.
                              Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

Working...
                              X