PDA

View Full Version : Kelsay Contract Detail

ghz in pittsburgh
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2010/09/chris-kelsay-contract-details.html

wmoz11
09-30-2010, 12:53 PM
It's not the money. It's the fact that this team identified him as a player to extend and that he won't be gone at the end of the season.

trapezeus
09-30-2010, 01:11 PM
i just think, whether its guaranteed or not, this just inflated every mediocre LB and DE's contract. They must all be giddy with anticipation.

"I make tackles 5 yards down field because i'm out of position! perhaps i should make $24MM over 4 years.

RockStar36
09-30-2010, 01:15 PM
There is no justifying this deal so people need to stop trying.

He could've signed a 4 year, $4 deal and I would've been pissed.

psubills62
09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
RockStar and wmoz nailed it on the head. It's not the money (although 24 million for Kelsay is painful), it's the fact that he's still going to be on the team. His subtraction after this season was going to be one of the best additions this team has seen in years. A roster without Kelsay is a wonderful thing. Too bad we're the 1 team out of 32 that has the roster with Kelsay.

EDS
09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I am sure his play will improve as he pushes deeper into his thirties.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Wonder why no one from the Bills front office came out commenting on his extension.

Michael82
09-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm just pissed that he's staying here for another 4-years. He's one of the first ones that I was hoping they would get rid of after the season.

X-Era
09-30-2010, 04:54 PM
It's not the money. It's the fact that this team identified him as a player to extend and that he won't be gone at the end of the season.

That's a bad thing? We keep a guy who's better than any other backup we have at this point. If he isn't a starter next season, and I hope he isn't, we have solidified our depth with this move.

All you need to look at is how many frikkin games we have been stuck with Ellison to realize that keeping him is wise. Especially when I fully expect an extra player or two to be competing with him next year for the starting job.

X-Era
09-30-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm just pissed that he's staying here for another 4-years. He's one of the first ones that I was hoping they would get rid of after the season.

Even as a backup?

Mr. Pink
09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
That's a bad thing? We keep a guy who's better than any other backup we have at this point. If he isn't a starter next season, and I hope he isn't, we have solidified our depth with this move.

All you need to look at is how many frikkin games we have been stuck with Ellison to realize that keeping him is wise. Especially when I fully expect an extra player or two to be competing with him next year for the starting job.

If my choice was Ellison vs Kelsay...I'd take Ellison.

One, it's his natural position.

Two, they're both junk players.

Three, Ellison is cheaper.

wmoz11
09-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Even as a backup?

Well, as a backup it's fine. But then I do care about the money. You don't sign someone to a 4 year extension with that amount of money and plan him to be a backup. Whether he end up one or not is a moot point, because right now, that's not the plan.

X-Era
09-30-2010, 05:15 PM
If my choice was Ellison vs Kelsay...I'd take Ellison.

One, it's his natural position.

Two, they're both junk players.

Three, Ellison is cheaper.Ellison has proved game in and game out his is the worst LB'er who has seen the field for the Bills. Totally disagree.

Besides, why are you saving Ralph's money? He's not spending what he should, if anything this is a small start.

X-Era
09-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Well, as a backup it's fine. But then I do care about the money. You don't sign someone to a 4 year extension with that amount of money and plan him to be a backup. Whether he end up one or not is a moot point, because right now, that's not the plan.

Frankly, I dont care if we waste some money and solidify an important spot with a solid vet backup. Id rather that than start a UDFA or someone like Ellison.

Extremebillsfan247
09-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Being one of the only players left on the roster that were here the last time we beat the Patriots says he must be doing something right. He is one of those guys that never really sticks out but plays just well enough to not get noticed in a bad way by the coaching staff. He's an 8 year veteran and spent all of that time in Buffalo. Because of that, he is seen by the players as one of the leaders even though he doesn't put up the numbers that justify his income. I guess the Bills see value in his longevity here. JMO

Mr. Pink
09-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Ellison has proved game in and game out his is the worst LB'er who has seen the field for the Bills. Totally disagree.

Besides, why are you saving Ralph's money? He's not spending what he should, if anything this is a small start.

Ellison is depth, is paid as depth, and can line up at every LBing position and comes much cheaper.

It's not about saving money, it's about spending money, but spending it on the right players.

As I stated in another thread, Mahdi compared to Kelsay to Matt Roth...Roth makes 1.8 million a year.

I have no problem with keeping a guy like Kelsay as depth, just pay him like he's depth.

wmoz11
09-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Frankly, I dont care if we waste some money and solidify an important spot with a solid vet backup. Id rather that than start a UDFA or someone like Ellison.

Paying what we pay him makes him a starter. Period. That's what he is and that's what he will be until we release him. And, since we pay him that amount, we will not be looking for or drafting replacements. We're stuck with him.

YardRat
09-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Not a bad deal for the team looking for a starting 43 DE we trade him to this off season.

Mr. Pink
09-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Not a bad deal for the team looking for a starting 43 DE we trade him to this off season.

No team will take on that contract for what Kelsay brings to the table.

Which makes his trade value...nill

Unless Ralphie agrees to pick up part or all of the salary.

YardRat
09-30-2010, 05:47 PM
No team will take on that contract for what Kelsay brings to the table.

Which makes his trade value...nill

Unless Ralphie agrees to pick up part or all of the salary.

Quit pissing in my Wheaties :mad:

I'm trying to find whatever silver lining I can cling to.

X-Era
09-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Ellison is depth, is paid as depth, and can line up at every LBing position and comes much cheaper.

It's not about saving money, it's about spending money, but spending it on the right players.

As I stated in another thread, Mahdi compared to Kelsay to Matt Roth...Roth makes 1.8 million a year.

I have no problem with keeping a guy like Kelsay as depth, just pay him like he's depth.To me its worth 4-5 mill per to keep Ellison off the field. Smart teams have solid depth. I have no problem paying for keeping this LB corp experienced and solid. Let him go and we are stuck starting the next Ellison, its no longer a version that we should live with.

X-Era
09-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Paying what we pay him makes him a starter. Period. That's what he is and that's what he will be until we release him. And, since we pay him that amount, we will not be looking for or drafting replacements. We're stuck with him.

You can try to be as emphatic as you want, you dont have a crystal ball, neither do I. But I will be shocked if Gailey/Nix isn't adding at least one additional LB'er this off-season... and I think it high likely that we add more than one. At that point, Kelsay will be competing, and I dont think Gailey will have any problems benching him if someone is better... that's how the guy seems to work.

wmoz11
09-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Why not just let him walk after the season or at least pay him backup money on an extension? I hope you're right, but it doesn't make any sense right now.

EDS
09-30-2010, 06:11 PM
To me its worth 4-5 mill per to keep Ellison off the field. Smart teams have solid depth. I have no problem paying for keeping this LB corp experienced and solid. Let him go and we are stuck starting the next Ellison, its no longer a version that we should live with.

The Bills have the worst linebacker corps in the NFL. There is nowhere to go but up, but I doubt Kelsay is part of the solution. Better to pay guys like Davis and Torbor relatively small salaries to play back-up roles (obvious problem for the Bills is that they are starters).

YardRat
09-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Why not just let him walk after the season or at least pay him backup money on an extension? I hope you're right, but it doesn't make any sense right now.

Because then we would be stupid for giving him away and getting nothing in return.

BILLSROCK1212
09-30-2010, 06:13 PM
looks like it could be a 2 year deal to me

X-Era
09-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Heres a part thats bugging me in these arguments.

Your trying to save money. What are you saving money for?

Do you think the Bills will get a top tier free agent anything? No, they wont.

Do you think there up against the cap, if there even was one? No, they would be way under it.

So why save the money? For what?

I have no problem if they waste money that they have been oversaving for years on a guy who at least provides solid depth. The other option is the next Ellison which I have no interest in.

This move doeskin hamper the team from having cap room, if there is a cap, we have tons of it. Nor does it prevent the ability or IMO likelihood that we draft more LB'er help.

At the very worst, we overspent money that we have plenty of, starting a guy who isn't starter worthy, when we would have let him go only to replace him with a second tier FA who is no better if at all than he is, and still probably end up drafting more LB'er help.

wmoz11
09-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Because then we would be stupid for giving him away and getting nothing in return.

If we let him go as a free agent this year instead of signing him to an extension? How so? What do we get in return to signing him for 4 years? A ****ty defense?

No one is going to trade for his contract at his age after 2 years with us. No one.

Mr. Pink
09-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Heres a part thats bugging me in these arguments.

Your trying to save money. What are you saving money for?

Do you think the Bills will get a top tier free agent anything? No, they wont.

Do you think there up against the cap, if there even was one? No, they would be way under it.

So why save the money? For what?

I have no problem if they waste money that they have been oversaving for years on a guy who at least provides solid depth. The other option is the next Ellison which I have no interest in.

This move doeskin hamper the team from having cap room, if there is a cap, we have tons of it. Nor does it prevent the ability or IMO likelihood that we draft more LB'er help.

At the very worst, we overspent money that we have plenty of, starting a guy who isn't starter worthy, when we would have let him go only to replace him with a second tier FA who is no better if at all than he is, and still probably end up drafting more LB'er help.

It makes the team pay around 7 million a year for the average NFL 3-4 LB is what it does.

The guy and his agent go, well you're paying Kelsay around 5 a year on average to be on your team and he's out of position and nothing more than depth...my guy will definitely start from day 1 and be a difference maker and contributor. So we demand to be paid on your scale of what you expect at the position.

Make sense?

X-Era
09-30-2010, 06:34 PM
It makes the team pay around 7 million a year for the average NFL 3-4 LB is what it does.

The guy and his agent go, well you're paying Kelsay around 5 a year on average to be on your team and he's out of position and nothing more than depth...my guy will definitely start from day 1 and be a difference maker and contributor. So we demand to be paid on your scale of what you expect at the position.

Make sense?
No, but I dont care if its a waste. Get good so that you dont need him, and then cut him. If it prevented us from doing anything money wise I would be more interested in worrying about it.

And you still didn't tell me who you replace him with thats better... or better yet, who this team is realistically likely to spend on that's better.

Mr. Pink
09-30-2010, 06:47 PM
No, but I dont care if its a waste. Get good so that you dont need him, and then cut him. If it prevented us from doing anything money wise I would be more interested in worrying about it.

And you still didn't tell me who you replace him with thats better... or better yet, who this team is realistically likely to spend on that's better.

This past offseason? Realistically? Scott Fujita, signed for 3 million a year.

Hell, Joey Porter is only making 3.8 million this season.

Available now? Adalius Thomas would come cheap.

X-Era
09-30-2010, 06:52 PM
This past offseason? Realistically? Scott Fujita, signed for 3 million a year.

Hell, Joey Porter is only making 3.8 million this season.

Available now? Adalius Thomas would come cheap.

Fujita is no better, Thomas is washed up and Porter isn't far behind at this point.

Id like Porter, but he didn't come here. Maybe this next year we make a move like that and Kelsay becomes a backup... still better than having to ever start Ellison.

Mr. Pink
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Fujita is no better, Thomas is washed up and Porter isn't far behind at this point.

Id like Porter, but he didn't come here. Maybe this next year we make a move like that and Kelsay becomes a backup... still better than having to ever start Ellison.

Fujita is no better? He's an experienced starting OLB in a 3-4. A guy who comes from a winner and provides veteran leadership. All of those trump Kelsay.

I know Porter had no chance of being signed here, but his contract is less on average than Kelsay. You see no problem with that?

And Adalius may be washed up, but again, he has experience on a winner and provides veteran leadership. Again trumping Kelsay who has been a 2nd round disappointment.

Matt Roth, another second round disappointment converted from DE to LB, makes 1.8 million this year. Again, you see no problem with that?

Most teams move on and part ways with guys like Kelsay...we reward them.

X-Era
09-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Fujita is no better? He's an experienced starting OLB in a 3-4. A guy who comes from a winner and provides veteran leadership. All of those trump Kelsay.

I know Porter had no chance of being signed here, but his contract is less on average than Kelsay. You see no problem with that?

And Adalius may be washed up, but again, he has experience on a winner and provides veteran leadership. Again trumping Kelsay who has been a 2nd round disappointment.

Matt Roth, another second round disappointment converted from DE to LB, makes 1.8 million this year. Again, you see no problem with that?

Most teams move on and part ways with guys like Kelsay...we reward them.

1) Fujita's play is no better.

2) I dont care about Matt Roth.

3) Teams like the Bills release Kelsay and replace him with Ellison. No, I dont want to do that anymore. Even if it means overspending.

Your concept is sound. Problem is, this team with loads of cash, lost of youth, and sub-par play has no business getting rid of anyone who is at least solid, saving a single dime, or even worse getting worse to save money.