PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Hotlines

Beebe's Kid
09-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Breaking News: Yesterday, the Buffalo Bills signed former DE, now an OLB, Chris Kelsay to a contract extension worth $24 million over 4 years.

The extension has been met with rage, terror, and even suicide. There have been 58 reported suicides since the extension was reported via V Text on Wednesday afternoon. Suicide Hotlines are jammed with callers looking for help. Many claim this was the "last straw," and they "can't take it anymore."

One Bills Drive, or Ralph Wilson Stadium, has been inundated with phone calls, emails, and even protesters speaking out against the extension. A source that has requested anonymity says there have been several "fan cards" mailed to the stadium. Many of these "fan cards" were accompanied with wishes for Ralph Wilson Jr. to meet his demise.

I guess that after reading several diatribes over the Kelsay extension, all I can really say is...Wow.

Are people just running with the feeling? They see others are upset, and piling on expressing a level of rage that should be impossible to obtain over something this trivial.

Are people really this upset? I have read people post that they are giving up season tickets over this, and people are done with the team, and the obligatory death wishes for Ralph...

This deal is not that bad. The reaction is laughable. This deal is far from the richest in history, and it is for a guy that has been here a long time. Sure I know about his performance, but this deal does NOTHING to hurt this team. I don't think many would argue that Keslay provides decent depth. If you argue that there will be no reaching you.

We are 3 games into his first season as an OLB, and he is not THAT bad. He hasn't been good, but this reaction is asinine.

Mindbender
09-30-2010, 02:16 PM
linky?

Mr. Pink
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Tim Anderson wasn't that bad either.

trapezeus
09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
was the top half from a news source or a joke?

It's a sucky deal. there is no recourse other than to complain. he has a monopoly on our football and our city's pride. however turning in the fan card is probably what he wants. we need to be vocal with the NFL now about demanding this team stay in the area. I don't know how that's done, but we need to be proactive instead of watching it stolen from us.

as for the deal, this is exactly the same crap they've been doing for years. signing evans to $9MM a year but not getting him a QB who can make that contract seem like a steal. The last time they spent this on kelsay they didn't get that value back. The guy is a dud. The bills could have released him and no one would have picked him up.

most of my non bills fans asked me yesterday and today, "who is chris kelsay?" I mean come on, if you heard some scrub on another team signed $24MM you'd be pissed too.

This deal just means everyone else on the roster got infinitely more expensive.

Mahdi
09-30-2010, 02:24 PM
One of the biggest problems on this team is depth and having guys who provide situational strengths.

Next year for example when we go out and re-tool the LB corps, Kelsay will probably end up as a situational run defender and 4-3 DE. Giving way to better pass rushers on 2nd and long and on 3rd down. If Ellis develops he will takeover for Kelsay on 3rd down sooner rather than later and Maybin will be the rusher on the opposite side.

Depth and having guys who can play roles is important. That is what Kelsay represents. People have to realize he is not the future at OLB for the Bills.

wmoz11
09-30-2010, 02:24 PM
It does hurt the team. Because instead of finding a replacement at OLB that is better or worth developing, we're stuck with Kelsay for the foreseeable future. That limits the potential of our defense as a whole.

Beebe's Kid
09-30-2010, 02:55 PM
It does hurt the team. Because instead of finding a replacement at OLB that is better or worth developing, we're stuck with Kelsay for the foreseeable future. That limits the potential of our defense as a whole.

How do you know we don't replace him, as a starter? Having a guy like Kelsay around as depth is not really as bad of a deal as people think.

Nothing has been said, let alone, "Chris Kelsay is the starter until he decides otherwise."

I am saying people need to come down from the tower.

It is nice to have a guy that has played a few NFL downs on the roster. I know everybody thinks we can sign every FA and draft every position...unfortunately we are not going to, realistically, get 7 linebackers this off season.

Like Mahdi mentioned, he could provide depth at DE in Nickle and Dime formations too.

I know times are frustrating, but all of the people that "understand" rebuilding, and knew this was going to be a "down" year, are the ones crying the loudest.

Beebe's Kid
09-30-2010, 02:56 PM
linky?

Oh, jeez...I just cut and pasted it...

Extremebillsfan247
09-30-2010, 03:00 PM
This is a joke right? if it is, it's in very poor taste. JMO

jpdex12
09-30-2010, 03:22 PM
How do you know we don't replace him, as a starter? Having a guy like Kelsay around as depth is not really as bad of a deal as people think.

Nothing has been said, let alone, "Chris Kelsay is the starter until he decides otherwise."

I am saying people need to come down from the tower.

It is nice to have a guy that has played a few NFL downs on the roster. I know everybody thinks we can sign every FA and draft every position...unfortunately we are not going to, realistically, get 7 linebackers this off season.

Like Mahdi mentioned, he could provide depth at DE in Nickle and Dime formations too.

I know times are frustrating, but all of the people that "understand" rebuilding, and knew this was going to be a "down" year, are the ones crying the loudest.

You don't pay a player who provides depth $24mill! Come on! Wake up!

Beebe's Kid
09-30-2010, 03:37 PM
was the top half from a news source or a joke?

It's a sucky deal. there is no recourse other than to complain. he has a monopoly on our football and our city's pride. however turning in the fan card is probably what he wants. we need to be vocal with the NFL now about demanding this team stay in the area. I don't know how that's done, but we need to be proactive instead of watching it stolen from us.

as for the deal, this is exactly the same crap they've been doing for years. signing evans to $9MM a year but not getting him a QB who can make that contract seem like a steal. The last time they spent this on kelsay they didn't get that value back. The guy is a dud. The bills could have released him and no one would have picked him up.

most of my non bills fans asked me yesterday and today, "who is chris kelsay?" I mean come on, if you heard some scrub on another team signed $24MM you'd be pissed too.

This deal just means everyone else on the roster got infinitely more expensive.

He is making 250K/year more...does that maybe make them 250K more than "infinitely.'

Seriously, you don't think somebody would pick up Kelsay? Edwards didn't even clear waivers...you've seen him play right? Edwards has not had one redeeming moment since the TB game last year.

Kelsay would have gotten signed...for the 24 mill, no, but he would have signed.

This deal does not hurt the team.

To correlate Kelsay's extension with the Bills moving is melodramatic...no, it's ****ing ridiculous.

I am all for standing up to the NFL, if it comes to that, to keep the Bills in Buffalo. You are fighting before you have to. If you want to be proactive and make a stand, nobody will understand through the tears and "poor me's."

When you go on these rants, you make it sound like I don't care if the Bills stay. That couldn't be farther from the truth, bur over-reacting to every move the front office makes is not connected to the Bills staying. Don't confuse foaming at the mouth over Kelsay's extension as passion for the team.

Mr. Pink
09-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Kelsay doesn't get a job anywhere else, beyond a vet minimum contract, that's why he's happy about the extension. And why most fans who understand the game are pissed off at the contract.

If he even gets a job elsewhere.

OpIv37
09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Breaking News: Yesterday, the Buffalo Bills signed former DE, now an OLB, Chris Kelsay to a contract extension worth $24 million over 4 years.

The extension has been met with rage, terror, and even suicide. There have been 58 reported suicides since the extension was reported via V Text on Wednesday afternoon. Suicide Hotlines are jammed with callers looking for help. Many claim this was the "last straw," and they "can't take it anymore."

One Bills Drive, or Ralph Wilson Stadium, has been inundated with phone calls, emails, and even protesters speaking out against the extension. A source that has requested anonymity says there have been several "fan cards" mailed to the stadium. Many of these "fan cards" were accompanied with wishes for Ralph Wilson Jr. to meet his demise.

I guess that after reading several diatribes over the Kelsay extension, all I can really say is...Wow.

Are people just running with the feeling? They see others are upset, and piling on expressing a level of rage that should be impossible to obtain over something this trivial.

Are people really this upset? I have read people post that they are giving up season tickets over this, and people are done with the team, and the obligatory death wishes for Ralph...

This deal is not that bad. The reaction is laughable. This deal is far from the richest in history, and it is for a guy that has been here a long time. Sure I know about his performance, but this deal does NOTHING to hurt this team. I don't think many would argue that Keslay provides decent depth. If you argue that there will be no reaching you.

We are 3 games into his first season as an OLB, and he is not THAT bad. He hasn't been good, but this reaction is asinine.

Some people can't see the forest from the trees.

For 10 years, we watched the Bills FO make moves like this. And for 10 years, we've watched our team lose.

This year, we got a new coach and a new GM, and thought "maybe this time will be different." But it was a mistake when TD drafted Kelsay, it was the same mistake when Levy re-signed Kelsay and it's the same mistake AGAIN to sign him to yet ANOTHER contract.

This is just reality kicking us in the nuts yet again. If the Bills' "new" FO is repeating this mistake, why should we have any confidence whatsoever that they'll fix any of this team's other problems?

And yes, Kelsay really has been that bad. He's been the worst player on the field for both teams in all 3 games, and that's saying something since Trent Edwards played 2 of those games and Cornell Green played all 3.

OpIv37
09-30-2010, 03:46 PM
and the deal DOES hurt the team because it takes snaps away from guys who may eventually be worth a damn.

DBrown77
09-30-2010, 03:47 PM
I now count 7 Kelsay threads.......

I think i have become numb to the random signings. We obviously arent doing anything this year and probably not next. I wish we had some depth so we can trade some players like Evans, Poz, McGee etc to get some decent draft pics.

Look at the Pats. They have the depth to trade a Seymour, Maroney, Vrabel, Etc. They then stockpile draft picks in the first 3 rounds, get good players and backfill with up and coming talent. This organization is pathetic.

Beebe's Kid
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
You don't pay a player who provides depth $24mill! Come on! Wake up!

In retrospect, would you have paid to keep some of the veterans that we let go over the years here, to let them end their careers?

Kelsay has been here, and who knows, maybe Ralph feels a little guilty seeing players that gave their heart to the team go elsewhere to finish their careers.

You don't like Kelsay. The players, clearly, like Kelsay. He is a captain, as voted by the players, again. I know this is where you'll bring up Edwards, but these are two different situations. Kelsay is not going to hurt the team to have around. He is a veteran, who has earned to right to make money. Again...not that it matters, he only received a 250K/year raise. He did have a career year last year. It was far from HOF numbers, but it was his best year.

He is dependable, plays hard, and is respected in the locker room. He has been here his whole career, and wants to finish it here. We are way under cap, and will have the room to add the players we are going to need. Having a guy that sets a good example, as well as can give you minutes at two positions, who has played his entire career here is not what you make it seem.

I'm awake, son. You are sucked in to the *****-fest...that's your problem not mine.

Is Kelsay my top choice? What do you think? Could we have done worse? You bet. We could sign a FA, because a guy with experience is going to come a lot cheaper than Kelsay, right? Not a ****ing chance. You overpay for FA's that have to come in and learn the system, and you have to hope they fit, personality wise, on the team. Oh yeah...and there is not an unlimited supply. Rookies have a huge learning curve, despite the fact that many believe they should be in and contributing on Opening Day.

Continue your constant over-reacting though...do not apply any logic, or slow down for two minutes and think about the alternatives. I guess you could say "They could have had Dansby," or some other fantasy, but I'll stick with realistic.

Mr. Pink
09-30-2010, 03:59 PM
In retrospect, would you have paid to keep some of the veterans that we let go over the years here, to let them end their careers?

Kelsay has been here, and who knows, maybe Ralph feels a little guilty seeing players that gave their heart to the team go elsewhere to finish their careers.

You don't like Kelsay. The players, clearly, like Kelsay. He is a captain, as voted by the players, again. I know this is where you'll bring up Edwards, but these are two different situations. Kelsay is not going to hurt the team to have around. He is a veteran, who has earned to right to make money. Again...not that it matters, he only received a 250K/year raise. He did have a career year last year. It was far from HOF numbers, but it was his best year.

He is dependable, plays hard, and is respected in the locker room. He has been here his whole career, and wants to finish it here. We are way under cap, and will have the room to add the players we are going to need. Having a guy that sets a good example, as well as can give you minutes at two positions, who has played his entire career here is not what you make it seem.

I'm awake, son. You are sucked in to the *****-fest...that's your problem not mine.

Is Kelsay my top choice? What do you think? Could we have done worse? You bet. We could sign a FA, because a guy with experience is going to come a lot cheaper than Kelsay, right? Not a ****ing chance. You overpay for FA's that have to come in and learn the system, and you have to hope they fit, personality wise, on the team. Oh yeah...and there is not an unlimited supply. Rookies have a huge learning curve, despite the fact that many believe they should be in and contributing on Opening Day.

Continue your constant over-reacting though...do not apply any logic, or slow down for two minutes and think about the alternatives. I guess you could say "They could have had Dansby," or some other fantasy, but I'll stick with realistic.

Since Mahdi compared Matt Roth to Chris Kelsay in a separate thread....

Roth was a FA last season, re-signed with Cleveland for 1.8 million.

So yes, you could get a similar player, with experience, cheaper.

We are the only franchise in the NFL that I know of who overpays it's own players to get them to stay.

How was that for realistic?

Beebe's Kid
09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
and the deal DOES hurt the team because it takes snaps away from guys who may eventually be worth a damn.

Op, I'll apologize if he is the starting OLB next year. I also believe that he will see less PT when/if some of the younger guys are ready to see the field. Ellis was on the field more last week than he has been. Coleman has to be coming around. Batten was a 6th round pick, but maybe if he hadn't be IR'ed it would be a different story.

Again, I've been kicked in the pills for 10 years too, I just don't think that Kelsay is going to be the nail in the coffin that many do.

Really, he may be a better option at DE in the Nickel and Dime than some of our other options.

OpIv37
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM

we've had dozens of those guys over the years and it's gotten us nowhere.

As far as being way under cap, come on. Don't kid yourself. Ralph will ABSOLUTELY use having Kelsay as an excuse not to upgrade the position. the FO has done this before with dozens of other guys as well.

You really can't see the forest from the trees.

Beebe's Kid
09-30-2010, 04:15 PM
we've had dozens of those guys over the years and it's gotten us nowhere.

As far as being way under cap, come on. Don't kid yourself. Ralph will ABSOLUTELY use having Kelsay as an excuse not to upgrade the position. the FO has done this before with dozens of other guys as well.

You really can't see the forest from the trees.

Or, you're just reading WAY too much into us keeping a veteran around. I'm sure it's me, and that this will be the fist of many, many blunders that this front office will make until the league conspires against us and moves the team.

Nothing has said "You're ****ed" like this move...sorry to interrupt the crusade, please feel free to scale the tower again.

So, just like the games...everybody knew what was coming, and they will tell you so, right after they piss and moan about the game...we can ***** about keeping a player that has been in the NFL for a long time, and has experience, around. If he would have been let go, and replaced with a low draft pick (because we have to have a QB and a OT with the first two, right?) then we ***** because there is no players on the field that have experience. Then you, in particular, belittle everybody at OBD because they had too many holes to fill already, and they let players walk. You'll say we should have signed Kelsay for the league minimum, but that just is not realistic.

OpIv37
09-30-2010, 04:41 PM
No, I'll just simply say we shouldn't have signed Kelsay period. The guy is average at best and sucks in the 3-4. Experience? We have Davis, Torbor, Stroud, Edwards, Florence, McGee, Whitner.... there are probably others with 5+years but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Kelsay is a 4-3 holdout who should be kept around until we can get more 3-4 guys- that's it. This should have been his LAST year on the roster.

And stop trying to make it seem like everyone is overreacting to one bad move. This is the straw that broke the camel's back. If you're at a crowded bar and someone spills a little beer on you, oh well, it happens. But if the same guy beats the living **** out of you, steals your wallet, steals your phone, and stops to pour beer on you while you're lying there bleeding and he's leaving with your girl, well, that's a little different.

stuckincincy
10-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Old joke:

"Hello - Suicide Hotline. Please hold."