PDA

View Full Version : Conaty will not return

ryguy8161
06-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Bills Daily (http://www.billsdaily.com)

SoCalBillsFan
06-16-2003, 12:00 AM
i dont get it. didn't read that article but i thought hed be a decent backup center.

SABURZFAN
06-16-2003, 01:12 AM
:phew:

the guy was a wasted roster space.

The_Philster
06-16-2003, 02:56 AM
:huh: He's the only guy on the roster other than Teague who's played C in the NFL. How's that a wasted roster space? I :pray: Teague gets through the season without injuries or we could be in serious trouble.

SABURZFAN
06-16-2003, 05:47 AM
i just feel that conaty is not an NFL center.not even for a backup.there has to be somebody available that is better.

WG
06-16-2003, 05:56 AM
All I know is that he's got experience as a starter. Other than Price now we have no one!!!

Jennings, Brown, Teague, Sullivan, Williams starting, presumably.

Price key backup.

Pucillo, 2nd year, 7th rounder, no experience
Hollenbeck, 2nd year, undrafted FA, no experience
Sobieski, rookie, 5th round, no experience
Byrd, Watkins, Sands, all rookie FAs, no experience

Does this deeply concern anyone else??

Again, I'm in the "what's TD thinkin'?" mode here! The FO/Coaches would have to be stupid to think that:

A. We will have as few injuries to our starting OL as we did last season, and even then, we'll need backups.

B. That Drew is capable of playing behind anything other than a B+ or better OL.

:scratch:

Ebenezer
06-16-2003, 06:11 AM
I agree, he's not the second coming of Kent Hull, maybe not even the second coming of Mike Montler, but come on, he has some experience. Every team needs as much depth as possible.

Earthquake Enyart
06-16-2003, 06:19 AM
I'm not worried. Canaty had every chance to take the starting job last year and didn't do it. He's kinda small, anyhow.

WG
06-16-2003, 06:29 AM
You miss the point EE!

What, you'd rather see Pucillo, or Hollenbeck, or any of the others??

We'd better sign someone soon!

This is exactly why I said that out of any of our draft picks, Sobieski excited me the most for starting this season. Not that I'm happy at the prospect of a 5th rounder starting OL man, but he's likely the only player who will fill an immediate need for this season.

Let's just hope he isn't forced into starting, eh.

SABURZFAN
06-16-2003, 07:31 AM
doesn't jennings have experience at C?

if so,wouldn't that give price some playing time?

Throne Logic
06-16-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm going with, "Trust in TD. He's got a plan."

So far, it's worked well. . .

Earthquake Enyart
06-16-2003, 10:27 AM
I think they like Pucillo.

I'll never understand how you guys can fall in love with these below average players all the time.

Pride
06-16-2003, 11:10 AM
Until he signs with someone else, there is always a chance he will re-sign.

WG
06-16-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I think they like Pucillo.

I'll never understand how you guys can fall in love with these below average players all the time.

We're all sorry EE, we all missed that Pucillo quietly, as a 7th rounder, slipped by us all in the status of the all-pros w/ zero starts and virtually no experience.

Forgive us for thinking that a guy like Conaty who at least started for a full season my in fact be a better backup!

Sorry!

:rolleyes:

And what, Pucillo isn't "below average"?

Yeah, TD liked Ferris, Charles Johnson, and Jones while GW liked E. Robinson! That and a buck will get you a cup of coffee!

Weren't we all told by the same people who are touting Pucillo, if in fact that's even the case, how much Johnson and Robinson would bring to the table?

Yeah, we all saw what Robinson brought! Pennington saw it too! If this is the judgement you're talking about, then yeah, I'm still concerned!

John Doe
06-16-2003, 08:27 PM
I guess that we are doomed. Who would have thought that Conaty was that important? Donohue should be held accountable for this! Can he be impeached?

HenryRules
06-16-2003, 10:04 PM
From what I've seen, the rest of the teams haven't exactly been beating a path to Conaty's door to get his signature on a contract. To me, that's a rather strong statement about his abilities. I'm not saying that's proof that Conaty can't play, but its not exactly an endorsement of his abilities either.

IMO, Conaty has peaked as an, at best, average backup center. On the other hand, Pucillo and Sobieski have intruiging potential. Will I be confident in our line if either of them are pressed into extended time at C? Nope. By the same token, I wouldn't be all that much more confident if Conaty were to start for an extended period. Yet at least long term, we stand to benefit by Pucillo and Sobieski going in and we wouldn't benefit from Conaty.

I'm curious why being a starting C for a horrible OL is a ringing endorsement for the guy's abilities? Is Shayne Graham a solid K because he was a starter? Being a starter and being worthy of being a starter are entirely different things and not related at all.