PDA

View Full Version : for those itching for a #1 pick

malo
10-03-2010, 04:34 PM
do you really think it'll make a difference?

From what I see, almost the entire OL needs to be upgraded. Throw in a TE, and 2WRS. 4 linebackers (even though we extended a scrub). A DE. And a SS. And a QB. I think we're ok at RB and CBs.

Remember this is the same front office in place for years. Buddy Nix was a promotion from within and there were no other changes I don't think.

The same FO responsible for drafting Maybin, McCargo, you know the rest.

WTF makes you think a #1 pick can fix this mess?

Novacane
10-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I have no faith they will make a good choice with the #1 pick so the answer is no. I don't think it will make a differance.

YardRat
10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
It better. The draft picks need to start panning out, and we need to be more aggressive in free agency.

I really thought we'd struggle this year (though not this badly) and at least compete for a playoff spot next season (if there is a next season), but it's looking more and more like those expectations need to be amended by a couple of years.

Based on some of Gailey's post game comments today, we're looking at a full-blown re-build.

Novacane
10-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Based on some of Gailey's post game comments today, we're looking at a full-blown re-build.

What did he say?

RoscoeMagic
10-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Probably draft a wide receiver.

Novacane
10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
The Bills will get the #1 pick and it will like the Manning vs Leaf situation. The Bills will take whichever QB ends up being Leaf.

Mad Max
10-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I'd rather we sucked and got the #1 pick, than sucked and got a 8th or 9th pick. At the very least we could trade down in rounds 2-4 and pick up 3-4 more picks in rounds 3-5.

If the scalpel doesn't work...let's try the shotgun.

topher180
10-03-2010, 05:33 PM

From what I see, almost the entire OL needs to be upgraded. Throw in a TE, and 2WRS. 4 linebackers (even though we extended a scrub). A DE. And a SS. And a QB. I think we're ok at RB and CBs.

Remember this is the same front office in place for years. Buddy Nix was a promotion from within and there were no other changes I don't think.

I've certainly never garunteed it will make a difference, but we need to start with a QB, something I think you agree with Malo. We have to at least try, or wtf is the point?

topher180
10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
The Bills will get the #1 pick and it will like the Manning vs Leaf situation. The Bills will take whichever QB ends up being Leaf.

Perhaps, and I wouldn't be shocked, but again, we have to try. Otherwise, they might as well put a for sale sign in front of OBD.

New Ro's Greatest
10-03-2010, 05:41 PM

lol i hope your wrong............

GO BILLS:pirate2:

X-Era
10-03-2010, 06:04 PM
This team will have a top 3 pick, and IMO, it will be the 1st pick. And there will be a QB there that this team will take. Mallett, Luck, Locker... I'm pretty convinced one of them will be a Bill. But the draft isnt one round long as you know. The BIlls will have players at different points staring them in the face that can make us better. And I for one think we are at the bottom and next season we will begin the climb back out.

mrbojanglezs
10-03-2010, 06:21 PM
This team will have a top 3 pick, and IMO, it will be the 1st pick. And there will be a QB there that this team will take. Mallett, Luck, Locker... I'm pretty convinced one of them will be a Bill. But the draft isnt one round long as you know. The BIlls will have players at different points staring them in the face that can make us better. And I for one think we are at the bottom and next season we will begin the climb back out.

someone on the bbmb said this can you confirm:

I saw an interview with an Oregon player yesterday and he said he congratulated Luck and Luck said see you next year. That didnt sound good to me

that might mean luck is not declaring :(

X-Era
10-03-2010, 06:23 PM

that might mean luck is not declaring :(I cant confirm. Three guys are potential 1st rounders, we will be top 3, and the Lions wont draft a QB. Thats pretty good odds that a guy will be there at our pick.

Prov401
10-03-2010, 06:26 PM

that might mean luck is not declaring :(

Good because he lobs all his passes.

I'd take Mallett and Locker over him.

Beebe's Kid
10-03-2010, 06:29 PM
With the lock out, the underclassmen may not declare...the you're left with Locker, who has looked worse than the other two. What to do, what to do?

mrbojanglezs
10-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Good because he lobs all his passes.

I'd take Mallett and Locker over him.

i like mallet as well

mrbojanglezs
10-03-2010, 06:31 PM
With the lock out, the underclassmen may not declare...the you're left with Locker, who has looked worse than the other two. What to do, what to do?

that would be typical bills luck

ChristopherWalken
10-03-2010, 06:48 PM
This will be an extremely difficult task for this front office. Not only are they facing the strong likelihood of a long winded lock-out, but this team will be also nose-to-nose with a chicken/egg scenario concerning this offense.

On one hand you want a franchise QB landed with the 1st overall pick, but on the other hand, who's going to block? You need offensive lineman to block.

Lynch will want out of town, Jackson is on the downward slide of his career, and Spiller needs to seriously work on his pass protection. Evans will more than likely grow tired of this nonsense and demand a trade. We all know how well the Bills fair on those situations.

And on the other side of the ball, with the exception of a few of the CBs, there isn't a player on this defense that should be starting in the 3-4 package.

Damn - the future looks miserable and bleak.

Mr. Cynical
10-03-2010, 06:51 PM

See my avatar. I put it up when we hired DICK and kept it up when Chan and Nix were hired. Get ready for 3 years and a cloud of dust until the next "rebuild". Nothing here has me believing anything will change. Team is unmotivated, Chan couldn't tell that Trent sucked after a full offseason, etc., etc.

Here's looking to 2015.

X-Era
10-03-2010, 06:56 PM
This will be an extremely difficult task for this front office. Not only are they facing the strong likelihood of a long winded lock-out, but this team will be also nose-to-nose with a chicken/egg scenario concerning this offense.

On one hand you want a franchise QB landed with the 1st overall pick, but on the other hand, who's going to block? You need offensive lineman to block.

Lynch will want out of town, Jackson is on the downward slide of his career, and Spiller needs to seriously work on his pass protection. Evans will more than likely grow tired of this nonsense and demand a trade. We all know how well the Bills fair on those situations.

And on the other side of the ball, with the exception of a few of the CBs, there isn't a player on this defense that should be starting in the 3-4 package.

Franchise QB vs. OL is easy actually. At this early point, not a single OT is worthy of anything above pick 15 if that. Yet as far as QB's go, we could see 3 gone before pick 15. So, when we have that very high pick, that wont be a tough decision at all.

The defense needs a few good vets... David Harris would be one example. They need to add more pass rushers, Da'Quan Bowers is an example of a guy that may be there in the 2nd, Cameron Jordan is another. At DT/DE guys like Jurell Casey may drop to the 2nd.

There's options. What they should do is use the draft to add a franchise potential QB, RT, pass rusher and finish the draft and open the wallet to add upgrades at LB, DE, and/or DT... maybe SS...

They are not as bad as they looked today, I believe that. And once they get started down the right road again, the rest of the team will respond. But we have to stop thinking you can win with just average players at a few certain spots. QB is the big one. We have to start spending on significant upgrades at a few spots.

ChristopherWalken
10-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Franchise QB vs. OL is easy actually, not a single OT is worthy of anything above pick 15 if that. Yet as far as QB's go, we could see 3 gone before pick 15. So, when we have that very high pick, that wont be a tough decision at all.

The defense needs a few good vets... David Harris would be one example. They need to add more pass rushers, Da'Quan Bowers is an example of a guy that may be there in the 2nd, Cameron Jordan is another. At DT/DE guys like Jurell Casey may drop to the 2nd.

There's options. What they should do is use the draft to add a franchise potential QB, RT, pass rusher and finish the draft and open the wallet to add upgrades at LB, DE, and/or DT... maybe SS...

They are not as bad as they looked today, I believe that. And once they get started down the right road again, the rest of the team will respond.

I agree. Easy for those of us that have been watching this game for "X" amount of years - but for some unknown reason, the professionals that get paid to pull the trigger on these "no-brainer" moves get it wrong almost every single time.

I'm all for drafting a high end OT. Makes the most sense. But my money is on this franchise wasting their pick on something like a WR - and one they could have had mid-round.

X-Era
10-03-2010, 07:02 PM
I agree. Easy for those of us that have been watching this game for "X" amount of years - but for some unknown reason, the professionals that get paid to pull the trigger on these "no-brainer" moves get it wrong almost every single time.

I'm all for drafting a high end OT. Makes the most sense. But my money is on this franchise wasting their pick on something like a WR - and one they could have had mid-round.If they do it, it will only be because they looked at their options at the pick and got all the way down to BPA. It should be done like this:

1) BPA at a key hole
2) BPA at a position of need
3) BPA

In that order.

Mr. Pink
10-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Lynch and Jackson will be traded. Gailey and Nix will realize that Spiller isn't an every down back. With the 1st pick in the 2011 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills select...Mark Ingram.

don137
10-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I have lost faith in this entire organizationfrom player to management to coaching staff. The only first round pick that plays like he should and kept himself out of trouble is Spiller yet they even screw that up and dont play him much...They are babying Spiller and they dont want to throw him to the wolves and so they want to break him in slowly. WTF is that? Strap on a pair Gailey and play the guy.

k-oneputt
10-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Ah, the same David Harris we passed on for Poz ????

RoscoeMagic
10-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Lynch and Jackson will be traded. Gailey and Nix will realize that Spiller isn't an every down back. With the 1st pick in the 2011 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills select...Mark Ingram.

:scared:

I will break something if this happens. Probably my hand after trying to put a hole in the wall.

Historian
10-04-2010, 04:10 AM
They are not as bad as they looked today, .

yes, they are.

The culture of losing has finally permeated down to the couple of actual stars that we have. Look at the way Evans tanked it today. Poz stunk. Lynch fumbled.

The whole team needs gutted out, starting with the scouting staff.

X-Era
10-04-2010, 06:16 AM
yes, they are.

The culture of losing has finally permeated down to the couple of actual stars that we have. Look at the way Evans tanked it today. Poz stunk. Lynch fumbled.

So, heres my take on that.

1) Add a franchise potential QB a.l.a. Bradford
2) Add an athletic, big RT like Gabe Carimi (may be there in the 2nd)
3) Add a solid ILB such as David Harris
4) Keep Davis, Torbor, and Ayodele for depth
5) Add a OLB that can actually rush the passer. How about Merriman?
6) Add a DE that can rush the passer. Da'Quan Bowers, Cameron Jordan, maybe Kiwi in FA... that type

Then,

1) We get Batten back
2) We get Moats back
3) Fitz can be replaced when the rook is ready and Fitz is a decent backup option
4) The rook RT can start and put Green on the bench giving us a bit of depth at OT
5) I think the upgarde at ILB makes the whole LB corp better and puts Davis as depth.
6) Torbor, Ayodele add depth and let us puts Ellison on waivers or on the bench for good
7) The added pass rush at both levels helps us pressure the pocket
8) Easely will be back along with a developing Nelson, and Johnson will be battling both of them for the #2 spot. I think they will be better.

That's not a major overhaul and makes this team significantly better IMO.

ChristopherWalken
10-04-2010, 06:41 AM

6) Add a DE that can rush the passer. Da'Quan Bowers, Cameron Jordan, maybe Kiwi in FA... that type

Then,

1) We get Batten back
2) We get Moats back
3) Fitz can be replaced when the rook is ready and Fitz is a decent backup option
4) The rook RT can start and put Green on the bench giving us a bit of depth at OT
5) I think the upgarde at ILB makes the whole LB corp better and puts Davis as depth.
6) Torbor, Ayodele add depth and let us puts Ellison on waivers or on the bench for good
8) Easely will be back along with a developing Nelson, and Johnson will be battling both of them for the #2 spot. I think they will be better.

Yeah, the Bills are going to have to pry open the pocket book and spend if we have any hope of digging out of this hole.

DesertFox24
10-04-2010, 06:54 AM

Then,

1) We get Batten back
2) We get Moats back

Sounds good in theory but Nix has already stated that he is not going to spend big in FA, so this team is soley going to build through the draft and sign value FAs.

I agree we need a QB and a RT but Wang might be that guy.

My take would be for the bills to draft a QB with our top 3 pick and then go hard after defensive front 7 help.

Also Carrington needs to be playing instead of Spencer Johnson. John McCargo will not be here and he will not either, we need more tall big DEs not these 6'2 300 pound 3 techniques.

We also need a better LB to play next to Poz, and we need two better OLBs. Kelsay should only play on short yardage situations, and hopefully Batten can be a good player. Moats needs to play but I am not sure if he is an OLB or ILB.

I knew we were going to be bad.

I guess if you ask colts fans if they regret sucking so bad to get Peyton or San Diego to get Rivers they would say no. Hopefully in 2012 we will be saying the same thing, sucking in 2010 and then being a 6 win team in 2011 was the best thing that happened to this organization.

I have my faith in Nix right now, but if we are not a 500 team in 2012 he and Chan need to go.

ddaryl
10-04-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm itching for the 1st rd pick and it might not be a QB for this team

We need a DT, DE, LB, QB, and OT, and all of these positions are 1st pick over all type positons. (LB'ers usually not a #1 overall type of pick)

This team might be better off trading back from the #1 overall if they can get a sweet deal and a boat load of picks

and before someone goes off and says they'll just pick the worng guys.. yeah so what, you still have to draft and we still need lots of player upgrades.

RockStar36
10-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there is a lockout, doesn't that mean the draft order carries over 2 years in a row, giving the Bills 2 years of top draft picks? If that's the case, it's irrelevant if the underclassmen come out or not. The Bills can afford to wait if the season gets canceled.

k-oneputt
10-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Locker, Mallett, Luck
Rest of the draft linemen and linebackers.

RockStar36
10-04-2010, 08:30 AM
I don't think any of us would argue that they have a ton of holes to build on. But getting the 5-10 pick really does nothing. You get the top pick, get a QB and use the rest accordingly. Getting a top pick carries over into rounds 2-7 which is a good thing.

better days
10-04-2010, 08:33 AM
If the Bills get the #1 pick, it means they get to pick 1st in EVERY rnd. So the 2nd rnd pick is almost like a late 1st & so on. That would help with the rebuild, no doubt.

Last year was Nix's 1st as GM & it is too soon to judge that draft, but I like it & think he will draft well in the future.

serth
10-04-2010, 08:42 AM

Are we prepared to pay for the 1st pick?

trapezeus
10-04-2010, 08:53 AM

I'm all for drafting a high end OT. Makes the most sense. But my money is on this franchise wasting their pick on something like a WR - and one they could have had mid-round- and is naturally a CB but needs 2-3 years to learn the new position

fixed for you

trapezeus
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
yes, they are.

lynch was devastated after the fumble. he thought he fumbled his ticket out of town.