PDA

View Full Version : Old Timers:

Historian
10-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Compare and contrast this team with the 1984 and 1985 squads.

Compare offenses, and special teams. Pay special attention to the coaching staffs.

Show your work.

Partial credit will be given for responses that only deal with one side of the ball.

Good Luck.

Cntrygal
10-04-2010, 12:00 PM
:couch:

Dr. Lecter
10-04-2010, 12:02 PM
:couch:
At 29, you are too young to be an old-timer

Cntrygal
10-04-2010, 12:05 PM
At 29, you are too young to be an old-timer

:heart: :bighug:

Mr. Pink
10-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Can I compare to a different team who I think this team more resembles than the 84 Bills instead?

1981 Baltimore Colts.

Also drafted a RB in round 1 before the season.

Gave up 533 points, we're on pace to give up 500.

Let go of their starting QB after the season instead of during.

Already had a young capable NFL RB in Curtis Dickey while still drafting a RB in Rd1.

Impending lockout the following season.

Team moved 3 years later to Indy, the Bills moving in 3 years is still a very distinct possibility.

Both had HCs that had no business being a HC.

Also both teams had bottom 3 NFL offenses.

EricStratton
10-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Good thread Dave and although I was only 2 at the time I'll take a crack later when I have more time to think.

The one thing with coaches is some comparisons can be drawn between Chan and the early Marv years in terms of their pedigree.

Dr. Lecter
10-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Good thread Dave and although I was only 2 at the time I'll take a crack later when I have more time to think.

The one thing with coaches is some comparisons can be drawn between Chan and the early Marv years in terms of their pedigree.

*cough*bull*****cough*

Ebenezer
10-04-2010, 12:47 PM
The '84 team was bad but in a disappointing sort of way. They were 8-8 in '83 and falling back to 2-14 "happened". Since it was a one year thing after some mostly successful years people were not as upset. '85 was a cluster **** of epic proportions. That team had nothing and it kept getting worse. Compare and contrast:

HC:
85 - Hank Bullough
10 - Chan Gailey

Both are hard to understand (albeit for different reasons). Bullough was a blow hard that couldn't put a sentence together. Gailey simply has an accent. Both preached "hard working, nose to the grindstone" football but neither delievered. Gailey's team is at least a little disciplined.

QB:
85 - Vince Ferragamo
10 - Trent Edwards

Both were brought in/back under new coordinators in an attempt to resurrect their careers. Epic failure on both parts. VF could at least chuck the ball downfield. Both wore #5 (may they be the last Bills to EVER wear it again). Both were cut during the season never to see the light of day of an NFL starter ever again. Succession became a list of journeymen that fans prayed would be a savior.

OL
85 - Swiss cheese
10 - Swiss cheese

Both inept at pass blocking.

ST
85 - Good punter and above average PK
10 - Good punter and above average PK

Moorman might simply be the best player on the team except for Spiller. The same could be said for John Kidd. Both even hold for place kicks. Coverage teams were/are suspect but the return game isn't bad because it gets a lot of practice. Both, prone to fumbling.

do I need to go on? I am really depressed now.

Having lived through both - believe it or not this team is worse.

SABURZFAN
10-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Compare and contrast this team with the 1984 and 1985 squads.

Compare offenses, and special teams. Pay special attention to the coaching staffs.

Show your work.

Partial credit will be given for responses that only deal with one side of the ball.

Good Luck.

this team makes the 1971 1-13 team look like a powerhouse.

HHURRICANE
10-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Chan Gailey is Hank Bullough.

Ingtar33
10-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah... i remember 85 fairly well, and i don't remember that team being as talent deprived as this one. there were some bright spots... and that team... while cover your face bad... atleast tried sometimes.

Last year i felt was about as bad (maybe even a little worse) as 85... this year feels much much worse then 85

Historian
10-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Keep in mind 1985 had a chubby rookie named Bruce Smith, as well as a rookie WR named Andre Reed.

Well done brother Ebeneezer.

Historian
10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
And remember Sabs, the 1971 team which went 1-13 was shut out FOUR TIMES, lol.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I went to every game in 84 and 85, we use to buy extra tickets from the bus drivers and would go and sit in the last row under the scoreboard. I was 14 years old when we started and didn't care that the team stunk, we just loved having fun at the games. However, those 84 and 85 teams were what gave us the early 90s teams.

SABuffalo786
10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Can I compare to a different team who I think this team more resembles than the 84 Bills instead?

1981 Baltimore Colts.

Also drafted a RB in round 1 before the season.

Gave up 533 points, we're on pace to give up 500.

Let go of their starting QB after the season instead of during.

Already had a young capable NFL RB in Curtis Dickey while still drafting a RB in Rd1.

Impending lockout the following season.

Team moved 3 years later to Indy, the Bills moving in 3 years is still a very distinct possibility.

Both had HCs that had no business being a HC.

Also both teams had bottom 3 NFL offenses.

Really scary.

YardRat
10-04-2010, 04:40 PM
The '84 offensive line had some decent vets that had already been somewhat successful, and a couple of young guys that didn't belong on the field. Big contrast to today's team, who have a couple of young guys with potential but the 'older' vets suck ass.

Same with QB...'84 had an aging, established starter vet in Fergy...this team has a roster of seemingly career back-ups.

'84 = WR's that would have a hard time making another team's roster as a back-up, let alone a viable starter. Not much different today.

Joe Danelo sucked, and Kidd was above average. Neither are equal to Moorman and Lindell.

Comparisons between Kay Stephenson/Dick Jauron, Hank Bullough/Chan Gailey may not be quite unfair.

I honestly don't remember the coordinators back in '84, and would have to look them up to jog my memory.

I can remember somewhat bailing on the team a bit, and not going out of my to catch the games starting about mid-way through the '84 season. Check back with me about halfway through this season to see if that happens again.

better days
10-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I moved to Fla in 84 & really could not follow the Bills again until about 87 & the Sat. (the BIG ones) & Sports bars started opening.

The Clubhouse, the 1st Sportsbar in Sarasota would put the Bills on for me. Keep in mind only 3-4 games could be shown at that time. Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo were on every week.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Vic Carucci chimed in (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b12629/article/road-to-success-flacco-takes-big-step-with-win-at-pittsburgh?module=HP_spotlight):

I had the, uh, pleasure of covering the Buffalo Bills through their 2-14 seasons in 1984 and 1985. I know what a team with no legitimate NFL quarterback, with a horrible defense, with no real difference-makers anywhere, and with little chance of beating most -- if not all -- of the opponents on its schedule looks like. That is what you have in the 2010 Bills. In '85, before Bill Polian was promoted from a minor role in the franchise's player-personnel department to general manager, he gave me the following assessment after a thorough review of the roster: "We're 2-14 on merit." The Bills are 0-4 on merit, too, and I'm beginning to wonder if my 2-14 prediction was too optimistic.

Ground Chuck
10-05-2010, 05:37 PM
They remind me more of the 68 team.

Typ0
10-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Let's just wait and see how long it takes for the paper bags to come out.