PDA

View Full Version : DraftBoy/ X-ERA

DesertFox24
10-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Did either of you watch this game, I know it was at USC and I saw his last drive to set up game winning field goal.

I was wondering how he looked.

There are some definite issues with him but he is a senior and the success rate for underclassman QBs is usually not that great.

Anyway I was just wondering what anyone though.

k-oneputt
10-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Played well.

DesertFox24
10-04-2010, 09:14 AM
The one thing I noticed about him is he would make one read and run. I am hoping this is corrected.

Also I used to be really high on Mallet but I am starting to sour on him, after further review I noticed that his WRs would sometimes have to slow down to catch the ball when he was throwing the short to intermediate routes to them. That is a huge issue at the pros.

Everyone says Locker is really accurate, has a great release, and a very strong arm. I just hope he can read defenses.

DesertFox24
10-04-2010, 09:19 AM
The one thing I noticed about him is he would make one read and run. I am hoping this is corrected.

Also I used to be really high on Mallet but I am starting to sour on him, after further review I noticed that his WRs would sometimes have to slow down to catch the ball when he was throwing the short to intermediate routes to them. That is a huge issue at the pros.

Everyone says Locker is really accurate, has a great release, and a very strong arm. I just hope he can read defenses.

X-Era
10-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Played very well for him. I still caught a throw where he tried to throw it into triple coverage with a guy wide open underneath and a few other things. But he played much better overall. Big win for the team. I didn't scout this one, just watched it... although I have it recorded. Anways, if you havent caught my reports on him so far here ya go:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184177

Your comment on him reading defenses is one of his biggest question marks. He still makes some bad decisions. They all do at some level, but its been hurting him for at least last year and this year. If you want, I will go back and scout his performance.

DesertFox24
10-04-2010, 04:41 PM
X-Era,

If you get some time I would like to know more about him.

I have a feeling if we get the first pick and Luck comes out he is the guy. I am just worried about what happens if Luck does not come out.

X-Era
10-04-2010, 04:45 PM
X-Era,

If you get some time I would like to know more about him.

I have a feeling if we get the first pick and Luck comes out he is the guy. I am just worried about what happens if Luck does not come out.Ask and you shall receive.

SeatownBillsFan21
10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Did either of you watch this game, I know it was at USC and I saw his last drive to set up game winning field goal.

I was wondering how he looked.

There are some definite issues with him but he is a senior and the success rate for underclassman QBs is usually not that great.

Anyway I was just wondering what anyone though.

"Legendary" Steve Sharkisan

X-Era
10-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Done:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184177

DraftBoy
10-05-2010, 07:58 AM
He runs the same style system that McCoy was running last year with some tweaks. You're 100% right he is not making any progressions, but rather reading his primary and if nots there scrambling. He doesnt do a great job of keeping his eyes downfield when he wants to run (Note: That is not the same as when he is on a bootleg). He has a cannon, a great physique and can take a hit, which I like a lot.

However progressions are what are going to kill him in the NFL, if he can't read a D now, he is far behind the curve when it comes to other QB's like Mallett, Luck, Devlin, and others.

psubills62
10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
He runs the same style system that McCoy was running last year with some tweaks. You're 100% right he is not making any progressions, but rather reading his primary and if nots there scrambling. He doesnt do a great job of keeping his eyes downfield when he wants to run (Note: That is not the same as when he is on a bootleg). He has a cannon, a great physique and can take a hit, which I like a lot.

However progressions are what are going to kill him in the NFL, if he can't read a D now, he is far behind the curve when it comes to other QB's like Mallett, Luck, Devlin, and others.

Out of curiosity, when you watch a QB, what's the best way of telling if he's going through any progressions, or if it's just a one-read passing play? Do you look at where his eyes go, what the receivers do, etc.? I've been wondering this ever since Ingtar mentioned that Colt McCoy has just one read on every play and all the other receivers run dummy routes.

DesertFox24
10-05-2010, 10:01 AM
If we draft him I would rather us not play him next year. I say play Fitz or Brohm and develop Locker and the team as a whole. I do not want to put him out there to early and him lose his confidence. He also needs to learn how hard it is to win and what it takes from the QB and skill position players to win.

DraftBoy
10-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Out of curiosity, when you watch a QB, what's the best way of telling if he's going through any progressions, or if it's just a one-read passing play? Do you look at where his eyes go, what the receivers do, etc.? I've been wondering this ever since Ingtar mentioned that Colt McCoy has just one read on every play and all the other receivers run dummy routes.

Watch his head for the most part, you should see it move if he's making progressions. Very rarely are his 1st and 2nd read going to be in the same part of the field.

Ingtar33
10-05-2010, 11:53 AM

The head of the QB tells you where his eyes are looking, and his feet &shoulders tell you where his primary receiver are at the top of his dropback. so if his feet and shoulders are pointing to the right WR, at the top of the dropback, while he is looking left, that's a "look off", he's not looking at his first target.

Most QBs make their reads on the defense during the dropback, so their head might dart around a little while stepping away from center. They’re looking at the defense, not the WRs... and in many offenses, the first passing option isn't decided until he's made those reads of the defense during the drop back (that is VERY uncommon in college, as typically the primary receiver is decided before the snap based on the presnap read of the defense... this is true in the pros in most 3 step drops and timing offenses as well, such as what the SB Cowboys liked to run with Aikman). The moment his head goes to that first option, as declared by his body at the top of his dropback, he's started his progressions.