Isn't This What Needs to Happen to the Bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Midwesternbillsfan
    • Apr 2007

Isn't This What Needs to Happen to the Bills?

Isn't this what should have happened to the Bills awhile ago? That the Bills absolutely bottom out and are forced to completey reconstitute a fundamentally flawed and inadequately talented team, starting by acquiring a top-3 draft pick to draft the franchise QB that's escaped us for 14 seasons (and that wasn't going to be found in the (arguably) 4th-best QB prospect in his 2004 draft class or out of an insecure 3rd-round pick out of Stanford in '07).

I really don't see the merit or point in cheap and fallacious wins, like the type that have allowed bad Bills' teams of the past to still find their way to 6 or 7 wins and convince either the Bills' brass or the fanbase that "we're really not that far away." Ridiculous- yes we have been.

The Bills have undoubtedly been a bottom-5 team the last 11 seasons- it's just that we've rarely been a bottom-5 team for many particular seasons during that stretch (2001; 2010). So we haven't significantly stood out- like the Lions; like the Raiders- and we've obscurely skated by. But when you've been that bad for that long of a time without even one year to cite as an exception (the Raiders were in the Super Bowl in 2002; the Rams were a perennial playoff team until 2005; the 49ers consistently made the playoffs until 2003, etc.), you're been as bad as anybody... south of Motown.

So while it's an unmitigated disaster, Bills' football in 2010, I think it's as it should be. Call it 'rock bottom' or call it 'square 1'- I call it necessary. This team's been a mess for a long time; might as well cop to it. Seriously.
  • superbills
    • Mar 2003

Re: Isn't This What Needs to Happen to the Bills?

Well, that means we have to trust them to draft the right personnel with their new-found draft position fortune. I don't know how many of us would be convinced that the Bills can't screw that up as well. Will they use the #1 pick overall, or try to trade down so as not to be on the hook to pay a #1? If they trade down will they make the right selections later in the round, or will we be saddled with another Maybin/Losman/McCargo situation? There are lots of reasons why bottoming out could be good for the Bills...and there are also lots of reasons why it's still a crap-shoot.
    "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
    Ronald Reagan
    40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Both posts in this thread so far are correct. I've never ever been a fan of losing games for a draft pick, absolutely hate the idea, but I think at this point it's a desperate situation and we need to do it and then hope for the best. And furthermore this team doesn't need to try to lose, we just will lose.

Comment

• DesertFox24
        • Jul 2005

Everyone is mad that our rookies are not playing now.

Well people need to realize that it does take players time to develop. Kendall Langford is one of the better 34 ends in football and he struggled in his first year, and it was not until last year that he really started to be a good player.

In my opinion we need Carrington, Spiller, Troup, and Easley to be good players for us, and either Batten or Moats be a solid player and the other be a core special teams player and good depth. For this draft to get us on right track.

This draft we need to get our QB of the future, or RT of the future, I would say at least another DE, and a bunch of LBs.

I would draft QB first, and then OLB/RT in second and third round and then draft DL and LBs in rounds 4 through 7. I would also trade down to accumulate more 4ths, 5ths, and 6ths.

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DrewBlueFan
          Both posts in this thread so far are correct. I've never ever been a fan of losing games for a draft pick, absolutely hate the idea, but I think at this point it's a desperate situation and we need to do it and then hope for the best. And furthermore this team doesn't need to try to lose, we just will lose.
          Yeah, it appears that as ardently as any fan could still root for the Bills, even while simultaneously intellectually recognizing the sense of the Bills losing to finally have a snatch to snag a genuine franchise signal-caller, it's going to happen anyway- the Bills WILL lose. It really is for the best. And if we weren't at rock bottom before- a decided lack of progression for 11 years is essentially rock bottom, as far as I'm concerned- it's evident that we at least weren't going anywhere either. Finally, we are- we have a start.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Midwesternbillsfan
            Yeah, it appears that as ardently as any fan could still root for the Bills, even while simultaneously intellectually recognizing the sense of the Bills losing to finally have a snatch to snag a genuine franchise signal-caller, it's going to happen anyway- the Bills WILL lose. It really is for the best. And if we weren't at rock bottom before- a decided lack of progression for 11 years is essentially rock bottom, as far as I'm concerned- it's evident that we at least weren't going anywhere either. Finally, we are- we have a start.

Conceivable this still may not be rock bottom.

Plenty of team have put up back to back outright putrid records.

84-85 Bills, 81-82 Colts, 08-09 Lions, 01-02 Lions, 99-00 Browns, 85-86 Bucs as examples.

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
              Conceivable this still may not be rock bottom.

Plenty of team have put up back to back outright putrid records.

84-85 Bills, 81-82 Colts, 08-09 Lions, 01-02 Lions, 99-00 Browns, 85-86 Bucs as examples.
              Well, like I said, considering this is our 11th-straight non-playoff producing season and we don't even have one season to cite as an exception during this annual awfulness, really: what is the difference? I'd even take the 6 total wins the Rams had the last three seasons if it means the Bills show the type of palpably positive direction St. Louis is showing this year.

Really, there wasn't ever any point to consistently winning 6 or 7 games; it just made it all the more easier to pretend that we were much closer than we actually obviously ever were.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Midwesternbillsfan
                Well, like I said, considering this is our 11th-straight non-playoff producing season and we don't even have one season to cite as an exception during this annual awfulness, really: what is the difference? I'd even take the 6 total wins the Rams had the last three seasons if it means the Bills show the type of palpably positive direction St. Louis is showing this year.

Really, there wasn't ever any point to consistently winning 6 or 7 games; it just made it all the more easier to pretend that we were much closer than we actually obviously ever were.
                yup.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

an addict can't fix him or herself until they hit rock bottom

I think we're hitting our rock bottom.

Comment

Working...
                  X